Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cystic Fibrosis And the Army

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

beause not many people are joining up and I'm more detemined and enthusiastic than any person "in the que"

sadly you are incorrect - there are lots of people looking to join up, its just that the PDF isn't doing any large scale recruiting at the moment - and whether they are fitter, more determined and more enthusiasic than you is something you don't, and can't, know.

i'm not slagging you down, its quite possible that your physical condition, and the mental strength you have to show to ensure that physical condition make you a superb candidate - but the Army can't look into the future and neither can you, and the harsh, nasty truth is that there is almost certainly someone else also looking to join who doesn't have your 'red flag', but who has the same physical and mental potential as you.

by all means try, and know that whatever progress you make past the initial 'no' is a credit to yourself and makes things a little easier for the next guy in your position - but don't get your hopes up, and don't think that just because you may well be the right guy for the job, the Army will see it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

OS119 wrote: »
    while i have some sympathy with your view, you have to remember that by and large Armies recruit people with the hope that they will stay for perhaps 20 years - and the cost of the training is a bloody good reason for that. Armies want to recruit someone who they can have reasonable confidence (injuries aside) will be still be able to do the job in 20 years time - recruiting someone who at the age of 20 already has health 'baggage', and hoping that after 20 years of pretty arduous service they'll still be in decent nick is likely to be a pretty bad bet.

its harsh, and for some its not fair - this lad may well be able to do 20 years in the infantry and be as fit at 40 as he is at 20, but he may not, so why take the risk when the next guy in the que is as fit, as enthusiastic, and as well qualified?
    I've no issue with any sensible recruitment that considers the long term abilities of any potential recruit. What I have a problem with is silly rules that assume that any disability rules somebody out, regardless of an individual assessment of the person's ability.

For example, many people would assume that a person who has had one leg amputated could not be part of a police SWAT team. But if you base the decision on the person's individual ability, you may find that the person with the amputated leg is just as capable as other members of the SWAT team;
    http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/02/09/officer-prosthetic-leg-bounces-back-rejoins-swat-unit

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

That reminds me, what about the Guards? Will they let me in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

A chest X ray is part of the garda medical. What would yours reveal?

(Rhetorical question, I don't need to know the answer). The Initial Garda fitness requirements are almost as challenging as that of the Defence Forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

A chest X ray is part of the garda medical. What would yours reveal?

(Rhetorical question, I don't need to know the answer). The Initial Garda fitness requirements are almost as challenging as that of the Defence Forces.

ok, look. The fitness tests are NOT a problem. I will do a triathlon if necessary. It's the actual rules

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

From their recruitment literature:
    Such candidates must be of good mental and bodily health and free from any defect or abnormality likely to interfere with the efficient performance of their duties.

Never say never, but extremely unlikely. Again, you should call your local Manpower Office and the Garda College to get the final word straight from the horse's mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

For example, many people would assume that a person who has had one leg amputated could not be part of a police SWAT team. But if you base the decision on the person's individual ability, you may find that the person with the amputated leg is just as capable as other members of the SWAT team;
    http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/02/09/officer-prosthetic-leg-bounces-back-rejoins-swat-unit

He is "rejoining" his old swat unit, not the same as joining swat with a amputated leg. There is a major difference having medical conditions after you have served a period of time in the forces where there is a chance you will placed in a role suitable for your condition. Normally lads who served 9 years or more would be found a new role, between 6 and 9 years was a lottery if you were discharged or stayed in and under 6 was mostly discharged. Some exceptions were lads who had accidents while on active duty.

Some examples I have come across when I served was a MS sufferer who became a clerk, multiple amputees I knew had various roles in the stores or again clerks. A good friend who lost an eye became a mechanic. Some of the lads with injuries did rejoin full active service.

Finally myself, I sustained injuries that forced me out of active service and for a while I was a mess manager until I decided to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Simple answer is no. Im not doubting your ability but rules say no.
    when I went for a medical a guy with some form of diabetes was there and he pleaded his case.... a captain said its simple what if you were overseas and a mission went belly up and you couldn't get medication? im not comparing the two illnesses just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

krissovo wrote: »
    He is "rejoining" his old swat unit, not the same as joining swat with a amputated leg. There is a major difference having medical conditions after you have served a period of time in the forces where there is a chance you will placed in a role suitable for your condition. Normally lads who served 9 years or more would be found a new role, between 6 and 9 years was a lottery if you were discharged or stayed in and under 6 was mostly discharged. Some exceptions were lads who had accidents while on active duty.
    He's not 'being places in a role suitable for his condition'. He's back doing the same job as before, having passed the same tests as before - the same tests as every other member of the unit. So the next time the unit gets an application from amputee, instead of rushing to judgement based on a label, they just might make their judgement based on the ability of the applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Donny5 wrote: »
    No, that's the annual fitness test, 10km march and all. It really is not all that difficult.

Sorry I saw someone put a similar link up here and I thought it was the one that showed the entrance level one. Yeah its not too hard if your'e into keeping fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

I'm not yet old enough to join the army but I want to and I have cystic fibrosis. Am I eligible?

Why don't you talk to your local recruitment office? The simple replies of "No" may be a little simplistic, as well as being a little insensitive, though i don't know what you'll be qualified to do. There are lots of ways to serve your country, though, and people with CF shouldn't be precluded from them all. The world revolves slowly when it comes to adapting, and you may just have to put up with it for now, regardless of how fit you are.

It's great that you're so keen to serve in the armed forces, and I hope that you manage to find a career that's fulfilling for you. it's a huge world out there and there are lots of great careers. I'm sure you'll find something, even if it's outside the armed forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

beause not many people are joining up and I'm more detemined and enthusiastic than any person "in the que"

Sorry to inform you but 6000+ people applied in 2010 for all branches of the Defence Forces both officer and enlisted and they only took in 400-500 people. I dont think it is looking good for you the Defence Forces wouldn't even take someone in with a history of asthma never mind cf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Well there's a good example on the thread about the Irishman who received the Military Cross for heroism while serving with the Paras in Afghanistan.

He was turned down by the Irish army because he had childhood asthma!

Puts some perspective on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

xflyer wrote: »
    Well there's a good example on the thread about the Irishman who received the Military Cross for heroism while serving with the Paras in Afghanistan.

When you have a small force with few vacancies and multiple applicants for each vacancy, then you can afford to be picky.

UK military is massive so they have more spaces to fill every year, and whatever about childhood asthma, I don't think there's a military force in the world that would recruit a person with CF.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

xflyer wrote: »

The bit in bold is the key point - asthma in children is relatively common and many ' grow ' out of it.
    Unfortunately for the OP anyone trying to join the Army or Gardai with Cystic Fibrosis has 2 chances - slim and none.

Advertisement