Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy

Options
  • 12-04-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

I using my sister account here but i have just few questions that would be nice if you someone could answer I am thinking about joining the navy but don't have any experience with the sea are most people in the navy come from fishing backgrounds? I'm from Donegal i know would be hard to adjust as the navy is based in cork I have done the RDF which might help me.

can anyone tell me day to day duties that the navy do? what do they do when they are at sea? what is the Recruit training like?

any information would be nice
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Emma - if you look down the page you'll see another thread on this subject, with plenty of advice and answers. You could always have a look here, too -

http://www.military.ie/naval-service

Remember that the PDF views initiative as one of the prime requisites for its recruits.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Is it still the case that the majority of Naval Service personnel are from Co. Cork ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Delancey wrote: »
    Is it still the case that the majority of Naval Service personnel are from Co. Cork ?

Definitely not. I'd be willing to say there are more wexicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

And Dubbalin types,too. If you can cope with rural Donegal, then Cobh would be a doddle. If you've RDF experience, then you have experienced smelly feet, farts and BO at close quarters so sharing a cramped bunkroom in a ship won't be a problem. Previous experience on any kind of a boat is not a necessity as the sea training is designed to make you familiar with it. Having previous Military experience helps so that what you encounter in recruit training won't be entirely new to you.

regards
    Stovepipe

To be fair, only 2 of the ships have crowded bunkrooms. the rest are max 4 per cabin.
    No experience is necessary, however every bit you have will make recruit training easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Get used to throwing the toll money up to the man on the bridge leaving Dublin Bay...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EmmaThomas

Stovepipe wrote: »
    And Dubbalin types,too. If you can cope with rural Donegal, then Cobh would be a doddle. If you've RDF experience, then you have experienced smelly feet, farts and BO at close quarters so sharing a cramped bunkroom in a ship won't be a problem. Previous experience on any kind of a boat is not a necessity as the sea training is designed to make you familiar with it. Having previous Military experience helps so that what you encounter in recruit training won't be entirely new to you.

regards
    Stovepipe

The RDF experience that i was referring to was the army as in Donegal we don’t have Navy Reserve which is disappointing. Would you have any insight to what day to day duties could be?

Daily routine aboard ship is dependant on your branch. Typically month in/month out. You are(theoretically) posted to a ship for 2 years, after which you return to a shore based posting, within your branch, of which there are 4.
    Seamans(All above deck work relating to the running of the ship, such as ships helm, boarding RIBs, gunnery, and port/anchor stations)
    Engineering(monitoring ships engines and generators and maintaining all machinery aboard)
    Comms(everything electronic, including the most important bit of kit on a ship, the broadband)
    Admin/logs.(everything else including galley and all other stores)

Again, the daily routine is dependant on your branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Emma - why don't you address your queries to the thread that has been specially set up to answer them - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056604807

tac

Advertisement