Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naval Service Recruitment - Questions Thread

Options
  • 12-04-2012 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Right so, basically a thread for folks who are currently attempting to join the Naval Service as Recruits to ask questions about the application process, Recruit training, life at sea etc.

Should hopefully help the forum avoid being clogged up by thread after thread of questions. Plus, with a few serving and ex NS members on here it's a specific thread for people to ask questions to people who've been there and done that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 markmaguiree

@Poccington , cheers for this thread .

Ill start of with a question i have anyways . I know the upper age limit for the naval service is 27 . im 26 now , but will be turning 27 in july . can anyone shed some light as to when the 27 bracket comes into effect .

cheers in advance

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ghouldaddy

I was wondering what is the highest rank a recruit can obtain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

ghouldaddy wrote: »
    I was wondering what is the highest rank a recruit can obtain?

Promotion is achieved through a combination of promotion courses and being appointed to a vacancy following that course. Normally the top rank an enlisted man or woman can reach is that of Warrant officer. There are only 4 in the naval service(maybe 5) one for each branch. The most senior of these is the WO of Seamans branch, who is also the Master at Arms.
    His rank is equivalent to an Army Batallion Sergeant Major.

However, occasionally the NS run "Potential officer" courses. To be nominated for this course you must have reached the rank of "Senior Rating" ie anything including and above Petty Officer(Naval equivalent of Sergeant) The NS has run about 6 of these courses in its history. On successful completion of this course you are promoted to Sub Lieutenant, but would normally be restricted to non seagoing appointments.

The only way to become a naval officer, which in theory leads to the Top rank of the Naval service, Commodore, is by joining as a Cadet, not a recruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ghouldaddy

Promotion is achieved through a combination of promotion courses and being appointed to a vacancy following that course. Normally the top rank an enlisted man or woman can reach is that of Warrant officer. There are only 4 in the naval service(maybe 5) one for each branch. The most senior of these is the WO of Seamans branch, who is also the Master at Arms.
    His rank is equivalent to an Army Batallion Sergeant Major.

However, occasionally the NS run "Potential officer" courses. To be nominated for this course you must have reached the rank of "Senior Rating" ie anything including and above Petty Officer(Naval equivalent of Sergeant) The NS has run about 6 of these courses in its history. On successful completion of this course you are promoted to Sub Lieutenant, but would normally be restricted to non seagoing appointments.

The only way to become a naval officer, which in theory leads to the Top rank of the Naval service, Commodore, is by joining as a Cadet, not a recruit.

Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 the_boss85

I want to re-ask an earlier question that wasn't answered.

I'm 26 now but turning 27 in August.

My application went through ok so I assume I'm alright?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

the_boss85 wrote: »
    I want to re-ask an earlier question that wasn't answered.

I'm 26 now but turning 27 in August.

My application went through ok so I assume I'm alright?!

To the best of my knowledge you must be under the upper age limit on the day you begin training. If there is no platoons (or NS equivilant) being trained before you begin recruit training then i think you may be ineligible. I'm open to correction on this btw.

re: your last point. Every application 'goes through'. But not all will be called for interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

from www.military.ie
    If you have any specific queries please direct them to Recruitment and Competitions Section at 01-804 2653/ 2654 or recruitment@defenceforces.ie or see the CAREERS tab on this website.

No sanction has been received for the 2012 Officer Cadet Competition. When sanction is given it will be posted here.

The competitions for General Service in the Army, Naval Service and Instrumentalists are now closed.

For those who have applied you will hear from us in due course.

Advertisement