Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atlantic Coast Challenge 2015

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yeah but its nice to know the best team won, not the team who decided they should win, it won't be me and alxmorgan's team anyway, were there for the golf and craic.

If this is the format for this year I think it will make a big difference, no hiding behind team scores, HCP secretarys being sent scores over CSS, ESR would surely kick in for a winning score like last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Played the down links challenge a couple of times and they swap one of your group
    Each round, winning score was 99 points total each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

mike12 wrote: »
    Played the down links challenge a couple of times and they swap one of your group
    Each round, winning score was 99 points total each year.

Swap one of your group as in make you play with a different group ?

And 99 total for all 3 days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Wo we

I'm heading up with my auld fella and his buddy - our third year going. The da had a cut off the organisers last year about the scoring. I'd say he wasn't the only one, but nice to see they took it on board. Have reservations about the combining three scores (especially our team!) but we're just there for the craic and the small bets amongst ourselves. Hope the wind eases off a bit.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Swap one of your group as in make you play with a different group ?

And 99 total for all 3 days ?

It was singles stableford over the 3 days.

Have played every year, the comp was the same format for the first 2 years when it was won by the same 3 guys from carne. I asked for the change in format and the scoring was ok for the first year we finished 8th overall with around a 84 average.
    Last year was just nuts scoring.
    Would prefer to see the scoring at 2 per hole, someone having a disaster can still contribute.
    Think a guy in a buggy driving round having a look would cut a lot of the messing out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Christ the wind is howling in enniscrone today!!!

Just played a practice round in Carne. Greens are brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Senna wrote: »

And I thought they were poor last year. It looks like they've put some cement down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I played there a few weeks ago and they were in great nick, the new 9 were rough in places alright but the H18 were class...

Greens may not look the best but they are rolling just fine.
    Team score 93 in carne today.
    35 for myself with another 34 and a 24.
    Looks like I missed a point somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Greens may not look the best but they are rolling just fine.
    Team score 92 in carne today.
    34 for myself with another 34 and a 24.

how was it lads - looks hard hard out. 34 is great stuff.

24 guy buying drinks mike ? :D

Not superhard the wind was down when it was raining, played in a lot worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That's a fairly decent score from the scores that have been posted already!
    One team had 41 points between the 3 of them :(

Scoring nearly seems lower this year despite 3 counting vs best 2 per hole. Only 1 team with over 100 in.
    Still a few lads from Thurles out on the course so that may all change.

Edit: Scores are on Carne's facebook page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Played Co. Sligo today
    RN 25
    FO 23

After initial rain we had some 12 holes in sunshine. We were expecting a deluge from start to finish.
    Greens are slower than expected, but running very nicely

Meant to add...

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Carne was wet and windy like the other courses, greens were fine. Bit disappointed to be charged 2euro for a cup of tea after paying 10 euro for a full Irish....last time I checked a full Irish came with a cup of tea....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Wo we

Cracking picture Kevin. It was stunning when the sun came out alright.
    Is Carne playing the "usual" 18?

gary29428 wrote: »
    Carne was wet and windy like the other courses, greens were fine. Bit disappointed to be charged 2euro for a cup of tea after paying 10 euro for a full Irish....last time I checked a full Irish came with a cup of tea....

I did hear that from a couple of years back. And I agree with you... should be included

• Advertisement

Wo we wrote: »
    Cracking picture Kevin. It was stunning when the sun came out alright.
    Is Carne playing the "usual" 18?

Yep. Looks wet in the morning... ok after 1pm. Who knows for sure

As a links novice I found it tough going in Carne today.
    We had 71 as a team with Senna doing the heavy lifting for us.

Wind was very strong for a parkland boy like me.

Of course on the drive to Enniscrone the clouds parted and out came the sun. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.

Alx, we actually had 72, you done yourself out of a point!!

And someone had a 41 in Carne today, and Carne seemed to have some of the best average scores, with Sligo having the worst.
    Enniscrone team leading it with 105, neagh boys are on their heels.

Any SSS in for the courses, interesting to see what they are compared to other years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Played carne today. Got soaked for about 4 holes but wasn't long drying off.
    One or two greens were poor alright. Majority were true enough though. Not very quick.
    Par 3 down the back was the worst. Some savage holes. Few blind shots that we should have hit prov on not knowing what was over the hill : (
    Team came in with 70 pts
    Fearruanua 29
    Phkk 19
    Non boardsie 22.
    In enniscrone now having a few sleepers in gilroys : )

Senna wrote: »
    Alx, we actually had 72, you done yourself out of a point!!

And someone had a 41 in Carne today, and Carne seemed to have some of the best average scores, with Sligo having the worst.
    Enniscrone team leading it with 105, neagh boys are on their heels.

Wohoo...I'm only 10 behind in our 3 way battle :D

Not having much luck this year so far. Yesterday evening...beautiful.
    Woke up this morning to a bright dry morning.
    Just about to start packing the car it absolutely belts it down and no sign of break in those clouds for quite a while yet :(

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Not having much luck this year so far. Yesterday evening...beautiful.
    Woke up this morning to a bright dry morning.
    Just about to start packing the car it absolutely belts it down and no sign of break in those clouds for quite a while yet :(

Was perfect last year :D

Got soaked for most of the round today.
    Team 95, me 29, a 38 and a 28. Reckon the 38 has a great chance.
    Hopefully it's drier in Rosses point tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Heard 40 points was posted in enniscrone

Got soaked today in enniscrone, wasn't as bad as carne, but felt worse at times.
    Alx pulled the team along today with a great 36 points, I had 28. Team score of 94, so happy with that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So who's leading the boards team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

We had an 89 today in Enniscrone. I had 34pts, fearruanua had 26 and our third man had 29. A lot happier with how I played today- weather was a help today as we escaped the heavy showers with our late tee off. Have to say I loved Enniscrone- beautiful course with fantastic mix of holes. I will definitely return which is always a good sign. On to Rosses Pt tomorrow, really looking forward to that too!!

What is the feedback in the pubs, clubs and fairways lads - on the new scoring.

Very unlucky with the weather - still enjoyable hopefully.

Are the winning teams from last year there

speedgolf.jpg

Total 187 how is everyone else going. 64 for myself.

Carne today
    Km 33
    Rn 30
    Fo 19

Bad day for Fin, but as close to a hole in one as I've ever seen... 3 inches on 16th.
    Ronan turned the 429m 17th into a drive and a lob wedge. Some drive - we reckoned 350 yards.

90 on day 1
    82 on day 2

I'm on 65... and delighted to have broken 30 on both days.

Agree with others that greens at Carne not great, but they are running surprisingly well.

Some photos from Carne today

Green tees in Enniscrone were disappointing, I taught all the courses were off the whites.

Much better day in sligo, weather was windy but dry throughout and the scoring was better as a result. Sligo was in nice shape, fairways and greens couldn't be faulted. The closing holes were down wind which was a nice way to finish and leave the course with good memories. Some very tough holes at I think if I played them 20 times more, I'd still makes a balls of.
    108 holes of golf played over 4 days, I was in heaven but now back to reality, once I've caught up with sleep, I'll post a bit more.

So team Alxmorgan, Senna and non-boradise scored 100 today in sligo for a final total of 266.
    I'm guessing we didn't win the ACC Boards challenge.

My own final score was 94, disappointed as I really hoped I would break the 100.

• Advertisement

271 total for us. Found today hard lost a ball on the first 2 didn't help. 88 total for myself with a disappointing 24 points today beating 93 points was the target.

Enniscrone today and the weather was perfect for links golf - sun and wind. The comment about the green tees - all I can say is that we played it off the back tees 3 years ago... 6 hour rounds and a lot of pain.

KM 28
    RN 30
    FO 23

90 on day 1
    82 on day 2
    81 on day 3
    253 total

93 for myself.
    Like the others I had targets for the 3 days, which was to beat 30 points every day. Failed today - my putter decided to disagree with every line I tried to take.

Some photos from Enniscrone today.

I think if I had one day of golf left in my life - I'd play Enniscrone.

I think - so far.

I think when it is time you are sure of that , you aren't in a way , because it was too long since you played it.

96 / 100 impressive.

Is that the top mark in book Kevin, or are you going to make me buy another one ?

Fair play lads anyone getting near 30 on any of them courses.

So back after my second year at the ACC. Unfortunately the weather we had the first year was a distant memory this year but at least we got some sunshine on the last day.

I hadn't played any links since last year and you could tell on day 1 in Carne. It was a tough day with a howling wind and lashing rain. Throw in plenty of blind shots and a wayward game off the tee and a poor return of 21 points was the result. I spent too long playing the shots I wanted to play rather than the ones I should play. A lesson I learned last year but forgot in between. To be fair neither the 3w or driver were working so on those holes into the wind I couldn't bring myself to hit shorter than that - even though I absolutely should have. Tees were much further back than last year and throw in the weather it was a long tough day.

Day 2 in Enniscrone was pretty much the same weather wise. The stretch of holes down along the water (7, 8, 9, 10) were just as miserable as you get in golfing terms. But my game was in better shape and I had learned some lessons from day 1 so I ended up with a score of 36. Had the same score last year so this course seems to suit me. Course in great condition.

Day 3 was the best of the weather...albeit with a really strong wind as well. This was first for me last year and I did not do well on it. This year was much better and ended up with 34 points which could have been better but for a few silly mistakes in the closing holes. The holes into the wind here were long and tough and the cross wind was no picnic but at least it was helping for the closing stretch.

So overall a great 3 days despite the weather. A big thanks to my playing partners Senna and B - good golfers and even sounder lads. That's me for links golf for another year I would guess. Would love to make it back again next year. The rotation this year was better as the driving was lessened by the order we took. You are still talking 5 hour rounds even being out fairly early but once you know that's the deal it's easier to take.

Few sights in golf better than standing on the 9th tee in Rosses Point and taking in that vista !!

Was going to ask how long rounds were taking later in the day. We were out first out and round in less than 4 hours each day. It looked like there was a gap after the 3rd group. Think we held the group behind us up for a minute at one stage over the 3 days.

Was going to ask how long rounds were taking later in the day. We were out first out and round in less than 4 hours each day. It looked like there was a gap after the 3rd group. Think we held the group behind us up for a minute at one stage over the 3 days.

The group in front of us were pretty slow yesterday. But with the move to all 3 scores to count I think it was bound to slow things down somewhat as a lost ball that could previously have been left now had more focus.

I think long rounds are bound to happen with courses such as these....blind shots, tough courses, tough weather, non-links lads playing, heavy rough etc etc

Less than 4 hours is great going.

• Advertisement

Oddly, our tee time of 2.36pm got us around faster (just under 5 hours) than our 11.50am tee time in the three previous years (5.5. hours). We got out early yesterday, at Enniscrone, and we were around in 4 hours 10. We had 3 ladies in front of us and, apart from waiting for them on the par three 3rd, they were usually on the par four greens (that we could see) as we were teeing off.

A lot to be said for short and straight hitting versus long and wild. We lost balls on the 4th and 5th which slowed us up, but we simply couldn't catch the ladies.

Oddly, our tee time of 2.36pm got us around faster (just under 5 hours) than our 11.50am tee time in the three previous years (5.5. hours). We got out early yesterday, at Enniscrone, and we were around in 4 hours 10. We had 3 ladies in front of us and, apart from waiting for them on the par three 3rd, they were usually on the par four greens (that we could see) as we were teeing off.

A lot to be said for short and straight hitting versus long and wild. We lost balls on the 4th and 5th which slowed us up, but we simply couldn't catch the ladies.

This....oh this in Carne on Day 1 x 100 :(:D

Advertisement