Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Mondeo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If I get time, I'll let you know tomorrow of what I think of the new Mondeo.

Not driving it until later in the month, but will get to see a couple in the flesh tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

R.O.R wrote: »
    If I get time, I'll let you know tomorrow of what I think of the new Mondeo.

Not driving it until later in the month, but will get to see a couple in the flesh tomorrow.

Coolio, let us know what the Zetec spec (aka the repmobile) is like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

I can't believe it will only be a 3 star car, can't wait to see what they call the 5 star car in that class??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Hopefully ford finally grow some balls and make a mondeo RS. Get the old volvo straight 5 2.5 up to about 325 bhp and be awesome again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

gallag wrote: »
    Hopefully ford finally grow some balls and make a mondeo RS. Get the old volvo straight 5 2.5 up to about 325 bhp and be awesome again!

That engine is no longer available thanks to EU emission regulations. The most realistic option you could expect as a Mondeo halo model would be the 2.3 litre turbo Ecoboost engine from the new Mustang.

As is often the case, the 2 cars that came in this morning were loaded to the gills with most of the options available. Both were 180ps Titanium, with 19's and Panoramic roof etc.

The Front Grille makes a serious impression - no real surprise as it's lifted from an Aston Martin. Not sure about the rear 3/4 styling on the hatch - looks a bit i40 from certain angles, but then again, looks a bit Jag from other angles.

Rear leg room was plentiful. Boot in the hatch is as mammoth as the old model, but does seem a little shallower. Headroom in the rear wasn't great - I'm pretty average height and my head was just brushing the roof. Pano roof doesn't help that though - same in Estate and hatch.

Windows based Sync system in both of the cars (standard Titanium) - doesn't seem as good as the Opel system (although it may work better), but as the NAV SD Card wasn't in, couldn't mess with the full functionality. Dissapointed by the plastics around the radio - bit cheap looking, but the rest of the plastics are quite nice, and they've kind of knicked the Volvo floating console.

Not bad, but not blown away. Will sell by the bucket load though.

Driving them later in the month and there should be some Zetec's by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Had a look at two demos yesterday.

The styling is really nice, such a step up from the current model.

Interior is a very nice place to be. The seats are very comfortable and the dash is very nice and seems well built. Nice use of materials too. There's way too much "mood" lighting in the cabin though.

Estate is massive, but the model on display had a weird fake floor which made it look smallish. The boot was also powered which I had great fun with!

I am in love with the front of it. :)

IMG_1520_zpsedc8d30f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Glad to see they're sticking with a hatch version; several others have abandoned this like the Mazda 6 and Avensis and Citreon C5 which was a shame and less choice for us company car drivers that must have a hatch rather than saloon. Insignia, Mondeo and Octavia (bit smaller I know) seem to be only ones in the class offering this choice still and in all these the hatch versions I see frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Going to drag this thread up for a few pics. Got a few bad snaps in the local dealer today. Was the only one they had. I don't know what ye think, but at first I thought it was a focus. Doesn't really have the wow factor, not like the previous model had anyway. Bear in mind that this is a titanium spec too, even still.... Them alloys need to be bigger too IMO

x3u8zs.png

vihekj.png

2djs9jm.png

9azuo3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Under wheeled, bulbous body, pastiche grille, brings nothing new to the table. Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Saw a few parked outside Ford's place in Cork last week. The colour makes a huge difference to them, that colour doesn't do it a lot of justice. It does look like a face-lift of the current car though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I actually think the estate Noccy Mondy posted the picture off looks nice myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Well,
    Thats one off my shopping list :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Passat wins the beauty contest I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tippman1 wrote: »
    Passat wins the beauty contest I think.

Er, Mazda6 has that one sorted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Question:

Does anyone else think the US-spec (Fusion) looks nicer than our Euro spec Mondeo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Sobanek wrote: »
    Question:

Does anyone else think the US-spec (Fusion) looks nicer than our Euro spec Mondeo?

Are they not the same due to Ford's Global look :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Er, Mazda6 has that one sorted

+1 much prefer mazda to fords

The Passat's which have been doing the rounds to the dealers were all fitted with the optional 19" wheels, so not a fair comparison to a Mondeo on standard 17" wheels (which is all the Passat Highline gets as standard).

Mondeo Titanium on the 19" Option doesn't look so bad in comparison.

Will be interesting to see what the Passat drives like, as it has a lot to live up to in comparison to the new Mondeo. Very comfy seats and handled more or less everything that was thrown at it with aplomb. Got a bit unsettled by what's essentially a large speed bump on the Sally Gap (just a hump in the road, but no markings to warn when you are approaching at speed), but handled the rest of the road incredibly well - much better than I had expected.

It will be interesting to see how this new vignale spec will pan out. Looked a step up from the standard specs. Not sure if that will even be an option here, but if it is it's certain they'll be few and far between. Has more bling anyway, and I like the quilted leather.

6ykxhx.png

10o476h.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Would like to see one in the flesh, but going by our standards here we won't have any nice models for sale. Will have to wait a few years before even considering of getting one 2nd hand

The problem with the Vignale model is that it will probably cost well upwards of €40k here. That's massive money to be spending on a Mondeo that traditionally depreciates alot. Also mid to high €40k is now mid size exec territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Even the Vignale interior looks cheap.
    If you do big mileage which the majority of Passat/Mondeo drivers do the Passat looks a far nicer place to sit.

Was at the dealer again today getting my lock nuts sorted, so I had time to kill. Luckily the car was still there, and even more to my surprise it was unlocked. Got a great look inside, and it really surprised me. Lovely finish, has to be seen to be appreciated, doesn't look cheap or tacky. The centre column really divides the passenger from the driver. Will get a few pics up in a while. One thing I noted though is that the cabin space is a decent bit less than the MK4, that's what I found anyway, but I think Ford reckon it's actually a bit bigger.

nlpxes.png

2ldyp9w.png

28utc3c.png

4u84eb.png

qxlx5h.png

n3uozt.png

nffc49.png

rh6g78.png

Was at the dealer again today getting my lock nuts sorted, so I had time to kill. Luckily the car was still there, and even more to my surprise it was unlocked. Got a great look inside, and it really surprised me. Lovely finish, has to be seen to be appreciated, doesn't look cheap or tacky. The centre column really divides the passenger from the driver. Will get a few pics up in a while. One thing I noted though is that the cabin space is a decent bit less than the MK4, that's what I found anyway, but I think Ford reckon it's actually a bit bigger.

Seen your pics - the interior doesn't look bad at all imo.

Where's the car adapter / aux-in socket located, does anyone know?

Where's the car adapter / aux-in socket located, does anyone know?

I'd take a stab at the glovebox, as it is in the mk4. Didn't see any visible one there.

I actually saw this car in the flesh today,
    Not a bad looking car at all, Nice lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

vectra wrote: »

3d9.png

• Advertisement

Where did you see her vectra?

Where did you see her vectra?

Fermoy,

Salesman from Cavanaghs driving it.

Fermoy,

Salesman from Cavanaghs driving it.

Oh ya? Was in Griffith's in Claremorris when I seen it. Seems to be doing the rounds. There was a toilet seat lid in the back of it when I went for a nose....

Oh ya? Was in Griffith's in Claremorris when I seen it. Seems to be doing the rounds. There was a toilet seat lid in the back of it when I went for a nose....

LOL

I didn't see into it like that.
    I only had a passing look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭Comhrá

There was a toilet seat lid in the back of it when I went for a nose....

Standard in the Titanium perhaps?

tippman1 wrote:
    Standard in the Titanium perhaps?

It's an optional extra. :P

what was the model you were looking at Noccy?

She was a 2.0 Titanium auto 150bhp.

Not bad - must go for a spin when I'm off next week to see if i can spot one.

• Advertisement

Looks fairly spartan inside for a Titanium imo. Leather/alcantara seats seem to be no longer standard.

bazz26 wrote:
    Looks fairly spartan inside for a Titanium imo. Leather/alcantara seats seem to be no longer standard.

They were never standard on a Titanium though, only on the X

Seems a bit pointless buying one over a Zetec then.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Seems a bit pointless buying one over a Zetec then.

Titanium still gets the automatic wipers, touchscreen radio, dimming rear view and the reversing camera though. If you're into that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Titanium still gets the automatic wipers, touchscreen radio, dimming rear view and the reversing camera though. If you're into that sort of thing.

And the digital dash I'd guess.

From pics - the hatch Mondeo looks to be the nicest looking car around at the moment.

Colour is vital on these cars I think - lots of modern cars ARE colour sensitive - but the new Mondeo looks like it may take colour sensitivity to a whole new level.

I have to admit though - I LOVE that sort of long sloping rear (fastback/liftback) hatch design anway - so that's ALWAYS a big help for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Old diesel wrote: »
    Colour is vital on these cars I think - lots of modern cars ARE colour sensitive - but the new Mondeo looks like it may take colour sensitivity to a whole new level.

Gotta agree... what colours do you think are best? I think it looks fabulous in silver from the photos that I've seen, and on the flipside, any sort of steel grey or metallic brown looks gick. Then again though, I've only seen photos, not the actual metal.

Black will always work, as I think the candy red variant will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

That Estate and a blue and candy red were outside Ford's place. The blue looks the most modern and suits the car.

That Estate and a blue and candy red were outside Ford's place. The blue looks the most modern and suits the car.

There's more than a couple of cars in the country. I drove a 1.6 Zetec estate in that Grey, and there were around 20 cars there that day, of various different colours and specifications.

Currently, Ford are giving the Winter Pack for free on the Titanium models, but the best offer is the Zetec Appearance Pack. It's great value at the normal price of €650, but currently on offer for €300. Front & Rear Parking sensors, upgrade to 17" Alloys, and a few bits of chrome.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sat in a new one this morning. I know it's new here, but to me at least the design is old already. Haven't they been selling these in the USA for a few years?

• Advertisement
Advertisement