Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Drivers caught on mobiles to face €1,000 fine"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

djimi wrote: »
    Varadkar doesnt seem to think a lot of stuff out too thoroughly. I get the distinct impression that he feels that he just needs to be seen doing things.

There is no way on earth that anyone will be getting a €1000 fine for a first offense for using their phone.

As I said, he is just thumping his chest and banging his fist on the table and the average moron is going gaga over it.
    No one cares about the substance, it's just cosmetic politics, i.e. stuff to make him look good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Look what Polish lad did Cookie VS Police:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b31lg6DTgJw
    Well feckin done :D:D

That should be in the police dictionary under "wasting police time". What a complete asshat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Polarix

tippman1 wrote: »

Good to see, but Politicians and bankers caught raping the country : zero fine.

There's a severe problem of perspective and justice in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

rovoagho wrote: »
    That should be in the police dictionary under "wasting police time". What a complete asshat.

Asshat or not, but there was little they could do about him.
    And they had some laugh as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

If I had an emergency I'd prefer if he answered the call though.

Most people don't ring a Garda's mobile looking for help though. And if a station wants to get in contact with a Garda they'll use the cars radio to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Look what Polish lad did Cookie VS Police:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b31lg6DTgJw
    Well feckin done :D:D

Do that in Ireland, they'd find some way to bring you to the station. They'd ask for you insurance cert and if you didn't have it on you, they'd demand you to bring it to a station within 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Do that in Ireland, they'd find some way to bring you to the station. They'd ask for you insurance cert and if you didn't have it on you, they'd demand you to bring it to a station within 2 weeks.

You'd also want to make sure all your tyres are above the correct threshold and all your lights are working etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

The sooner they ban cars altogether the better. It's madness out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

catallus wrote: »
    Actually in-car cams should be compulsory and they should all be uploading to a public server where anyone can watch everyone. If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.

So we'll put a camera in your bedroom and toilet then, will we?

Seeing as you've nothing to hide and all.
    Actually, I hope your post was ironic too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I think people are jumping the gun saying that parrots and bluetooth earpieces are included. If earpieces are outlawed I'll just have to go back to handheld use.

• Advertisement

So what about having the phone in the holder and having torque running, displaying varying engine parameters.
    Read the rpm on the phone screen>accessing information on a mobile device>€1000 fine.
    But read the rev counter on your dash, fine.
    Also, have torque running on a tablet, exact same as the phone, but no SIM card capabilities, also fine.
    I think the Gards, who are not too hot on all dat computher stuff, will either not do a damn thing about it, or they will just pull anyone that happens to have a phone or tablet with them, no matter where it is or what they're doing with it and try and slap €1k fines on the lot of them.

A Boardsie was done for using a phone, even though he was only scratching his ear.
    Scratch your ear now, it'll set you back a bag of sand.
    I will just sit rigid in my car, staring straight ahead, not moving a muscle.
    If I hit someone, it's still better than being done to the tune of a thousand bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So what about having the phone in the holder and having torque running, displaying varying engine parameters.
    Read the rpm on the phone screen>accessing information on a mobile device>€1000 fine.
    But read the rev counter on your dash, fine.
    Also, have torque running on a tablet, exact same as the phone, but no SIM card capabilities, also fine.
    I think the Gards, who are not too hot on all dat computher stuff, will either not do a damn thing about it, or they will just pull anyone that happens to have a phone or tablet with them, no matter where it is or what they're doing with it and try and slap €1k fines on the lot of them.

At the moment it's an offence to "hold" a mobile phone.
    How then new law will look - we'll see in some future.

CiniO wrote: »
    At the moment it's an offence to "hold" a mobile phone.
    How then new law will look - we'll see in some future.

This is Ireland, the government will spend millions on "consultants" (someone's nephew who will hand in a report, usually copied and pasted from Wikipedia), the government will sit on the report for months whilst "deliberating" (going down the pub) and then will issue legislation (whatever was scribbled on a napkin while they where there).
    Looking at most pieces of legislation that come out in Ireland, it's the only explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I think people are jumping the gun saying that parrots and bluetooth earpieces are included. If earpieces are outlawed I'll just have to go back to handheld use.
    I think that parrots are still okay as long as they're properly secured to a perch or in a cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

GarIT wrote: »
    1000 isn't enough. Its as bad as drunk driving, 2 year ban is appropriate.

Until its your word against a garda who wrongly stops you for using the phone of course. Then your 2 year ban might not be so welcome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Good God what did we do before the mobile phone?

Seriously, so many people who cannot do without the phone for a short period of time. Are we all that important that phone calls won't wait? The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

How about total surveillance. And everyone gets to watch everyone, with an automatic "call the gards" button. I get to review your footage but you don't get to see mine, that goes to someone else. This will be done with fly-sized drones that buzz around your head 24/7. There will also be a gard looking at the live stream.
    If we all live blameless lives, we have nothing to fear.

Shh, That would be a very popular idea here, Nanny Statism is a political ideology here now at this stage. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

endacl wrote: »
    We managed to drive around the place before the invention of mobile phones and gps apps. Stick it in the glove box till you get there. You'll survive.
    If your ear gets itchy and you scratch it and a Garda sees you €1000 fine for scratching your itchy ear. There was a thread on here not so long ago about something similar even though the driver could prove to the Garda that were no calls on his phone he got no joy.

If I got half that fine for every clown I see driving while on the phone and clearly not concentrating I would be a millionaire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I've started using the apple ear buds that came with the phone when driving, will I still be able to use these? I can answer and make a call without touching the phone with these!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

That's crazy, what if your checking your emails! for my Aldi news-letter for Thursday special deals.... This is an outrage ����

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

spurious wrote: »

Seriously, so many people who cannot do without the phone for a short period of time. Are we all that important that phone calls won't wait? The mind boggles.

Well I wasn't driving before the mobile phone but I would prefer my gps to be calling out instructions than messing around with giant maps

Plus the threads where people get done for guards making up stories about "you were totally using your phone I SWEAR" makes me very skeptical of this altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

spurious wrote: »

What did we do without mobile phones? Nowadays my phone is my radio, music player, podcast manager and GPS device, and thats just the things that I use it for when Im in the car. Phone calls/texts account for about 5% of what I use my phone for nowadays. Banning them outright in cars is utterly moronic and shows how out of touch with reality Varadkar is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I think this might also affect taxi drivers who use apps such as Hailo.

The reality is that the rules we already have aren't being enforced so I can't see a major impact from this.
    The worst of all are those idiots holding the phone like a dictaphone, something that should already be a rare occurrence if the laws were enforced, but plainly are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think this might also affect taxi drivers who use apps such as Hailo.

As if taxi drivers care about the rules.....!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

As if taxi drivers care about the rules.....!!!

I had one undertake me on a single lane road today with a passenger onboard. Wish I had a dashcam for moments like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

The major beneficiary of this proposed law will be the legal profession. I foresee endless challenges to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

A guard drove past me earlier on the phone. I was in a big line of traffic waiting to exit the phoenix park. Not a good example to be setting.

Interslice wrote: »
    A guard drove past me earlier on the phone. I was in a big line of traffic waiting to exit the phoenix park. Not a good example to be setting.
    Gardaí are allowed use mobile phones while driving.

• Advertisement

No Pants wrote: »
    I think that parrots are still okay as long as they're properly secured to a perch or in a cage.

Yes, but have you ever tried to return a dead parrot? It's a complete nightmare!

Advertisement