Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Would of made the same mistake as the pug to be honest if I didn't know the lanes. Typical road marking no consistancy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

damo86 wrote: »
    Would of made the same mistake as the pug to be honest if I didn't know the lanes. Typical road marking no consistancy!!

Which is why you should be readign the signs and road markings. Rules of the road tells you to do X unless local markings say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

NissanDoctor is right, I come on that roundabout at least twice every day and it's another odd one. The Peugeot is wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

NissanDoctor is right, I come on that roundabout at least twice every day and it's another odd one. The Peugeot is wrong though.

This is a local roundabout for local people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

This is a local roundabout for local people.

Its exit 2 of the M50, airport one side, ballymun on the other so nothing 'local' about it.

The lane markings are clear and numerous.

For those saying they can't see what the 307 did wrong....when do you enter a roundabout in the left lane when you want to take the third exit? And when do you make any maneuver on a roundabout without indicating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

On the video, when you stop at the first set of lights, the road markings in the left lane show that you can go straight ahead or turn left. In my mind anyone in the right lane looking to exit left after this point should change to the left lane after this set of lights.

The thing is that this is a large roundabout with lights on it so it's not quite as straight forward as a normal roundabout. I still think the 307 was not in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

BX 19 wrote: »
    If you have an Android - Daily Roads Voyger does the job

Downloaded that today and looks to be really good. Just wondering what dash holder are you using for the phone as any ones I see on ebay look like it might cover the camera on the phone.

Celtxx wrote: »
    On the video, when you stop at the first set of lights, the road markings in the left lane show that you can go straight ahead or turn left. In my mind anyone in the right lane looking to exit left after this point should change to the left lane after this set of lights.

The thing is that this is a large roundabout with lights on it so it's not quite as straight forward as a normal roundabout. I still think the 307 was not in the wrong.

You don't think that being in the left lane on a roundabout when you want to go right is wrong? You don't think not indicating on a roundabout is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I've used that roundabout dozens of times and the pug 207 is wrong. The driver is in the lane that one takes IF they are going onto the M50 and nothing else.

The Skoda and Nissan Doc are in the lane that you can go onto the M50 or continue on the roundabout.

Result is that Pug is 100% wrong.

Edit - just want to ad I've got myself a dashcam off ebay today so looking forward to getting it!

I'm not so sure actually because of the layout of this large roundabout with all the the traffic lights and multiple lanes. Should it be treated as a normal free flow roundabout? Thats something I honestly dont know. I am not from that part of the country so I dont know that particular roundabout so I am basing my opinion on the video.

I think once the cars are stopped at the lights and traffic is at a standstill the situation should be taken as is. ie, left lane for exit left or straight ahead and right lane for continuing around.

In any case any confusion by either parties here is understandable so I am not laying blame at anyone! :-)

• Advertisement

I've used that roundabout dozens of times and the pug 207 is wrong. The driver is in the lane that one takes IF they are going onto the M50 and nothing else.
    !

Are there markings there to indicate that though because from his point of view he is stopped at traffic lights and he has an empty lane straight ahead of him so when the lights go red is understandable to think he can go straight? I am speaking as a culchie who might find themselves in the same situation as the 207 next time I go to the airport so genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

You don't think that being in the left lane on a roundabout when you want to go right is wrong? You don't think not indicating on a roundabout is wrong?

You do not want to use the Tesco roundabout in Letterkenny any time soon, Doc.
    I have had someone pull up to the roundabout in the left lane with me in the right lane, then proceed to drive completely around the roundabout to the 4th exit (5 exit roundabout) when I was exiting at the 3rd and almost take me out.

This has happened me at least 3 times in the past month !!

I also ride through there on a motorbike, and I can tell you THAT'S scary !!

The amount of numpties with NO idea about lane positioning, lane discipline or spatial awareness on the roads is worrying.

It's one of the main selling points of high-powered cars, tbh, the ability to plant your foot and escape the danger posed by these fools.

Edit: In the above cases, you would need side-view cameras in your car too (and probably a rear-facing one too) :)

Are there markings there to indicate that though because from his point of view he is stopped at traffic lights and he has an empty lane straight ahead of him so when the lights go red is understandable to think he can go straight? I am speaking as a culchie who might find themselves in the same situation as the 207 next time I go to the airport so genuinely curious.

Just follow the signs and road markings and there will be no reason to get confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

cormie wrote: »
    I have a DRS1100 fitted to each van and with all I see, I wouldn't be without one, they are definitely worth the investment.

The DRS1100 is by Xdriven and I believe is rebranded as a Roadhawk in the UK. It records on a continuous loop and saves segments if there is a shock to the car or if you press the record button. These segments won't be recorded over. It also has GPS, speed, shock readings and information.

The quality is decent but could be better, I know there's 1080 recorders out there etc, but I won't be upgrading mine until there's a 1080 or close to it model like the DRS1100 with the true blackbox features. The fact you have it constantly plugged in and don't have to worry about turning it on each time is invaluable itself. I know if I had to manually turn it on or connect it, I'd probably forget a lot but with this, as soon as I turn the engine on, it starts recording.

I gave the following footage to the Gardai recently after it was requested and was thanked after giving it in to them. I just had to make a statement saying it wasn't edited in any way etc and they thought it was a great idea to have. They have similar fitted to the ANPR set up in some cars.
    That's a nifty camera - battery powered would be handy, I have a Flip Ultra HD which I had attached to my bicycle frame with a gorillapod but hasn't proved as easy to attach to my current bicycle. I had a similar experience with Gardai when I used footage to make a complaint about dangerous overtaking (I wanted the Gardai to have a word with the driver and let him know that he needed to be more careful passing a cyclist). They thought it was a great idea and made the point that all their cars should have a similar device. This is a very useful thread because I'm toying with finding another cheap camera that I could mount on the rear of the bicycle

I'll bow to local knowledge on this one so and let the thread get back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Nice of you to stop !! Was that last week ? Think I passed it.

Emm no it was before Christmas I think. Yea I slowed down and stuck the hazards to warn other people.
    s_carnage wrote: »
    Downloaded that today and looks to be really good. Just wondering what dash holder are you using for the phone as any ones I see on ebay look like it might cover the camera on the phone.

Its a free one that came with my Nokia E52. Bit like this

Nokia_E73_Mode_T-Mobile_USA_Car_Holder.jpg

The holder isnt the most ideal, the charger is blocked and you have to place it in the holder awkwardly. Contributes to the vibration you can see in the video

I'll bow to local knowledge on this one so and let the thread get back on topic.

Its nothing to do with local knowledge....even disregarding any specific road markings on this particular roundabout and using the basic rules of a simple roundabout, the Peugeot is still completely wrong!

Its often mentioned on this forum how few Irish people know how to use roundabouts properly and some of the posts here prove it IMO.

I hadn't foreseen a discussion like this from that video I must say but I agree on getting back to topic.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've a Roadhawk dashcam for issues like this. Just means if anyone tries anything, I have proof what they did!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

The lane I and the superb ahead are in is signposted/arrowed for M50 north and/or city center/ballymun.

The lane the 307 is in is for M50 north only.

No it's not. I use that roundabout all the time. The sign on the gantry above the slip road leading up to the roundabout are:

| Ballymun - City Centre | Ballymun - City Centre

So if you are exiting for M50 Northbound you should be in the left lane only. If you are exiting for Ballymun you can use the left or right lane (Ballymun exit is a two lane exit also, whereas the M50 Northbound is a one lane exit).

You will find that using that exit you will encounter lots of cars in both lanes exiting for Ballymun, and the odd nutcase in the right lane cutting across everyone to take the first exit.

Edit: Like people are saying, you follow what the signs/road markings say - and what they say is left and right lane = Ballymun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ygm6XCdKRc
    Skip to 6 mins, wait for the overhead sign above the exit slip road to come into clear view and Pause. You can clearly see that both the left and right lanes are marked for Ballymun (R108).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

could have done with one of these the other day. Someone pulled out from a junction on to upper kilmacud, then pulls in to left, brakes on, then just as I drive by slaps on right indicator and pulls straight across in front of me. Just about managed to take avoiding action, but now I see a cut in my tyre and a scuff on the alloy where I ditched against the kerb avoiding. Should have stopped and had a word but as no impact between us I just drove away. Feckin eejit (both of us!)

• Advertisement

Its nothing to do with local knowledge....even disregarding any specific road markings on this particular roundabout and using the basic rules of a simple roundabout, the Peugeot is still completely wrong!.

I know how to use a roundabout.

By local knowledge I mean road markings. If there are markings there that state that the lane the 207 is in is for the M50 North exit only then he is in the wrong I agree.

But not every roundabout is the same. Sometime if you are in the left lane at an exit you have to take that exit, othertimes you can continue past it to the next exit. Thats why knowing the signs and markings would be important in this case and why I am bowing to local knowledge of these markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Less talk, more lunatic Russians!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Less talk, more lunatic Russians!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Ugh... don't start with the roundabouts please, 85% of the drivers don't even know how to use an indicator at the roundabout.

Man, that pisses me off! When you see somebody indicating right, you slow down, only for them to take the left exit... ASSHOLES!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Veloce wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any incidents like this happening here in the ROI?

I remember hearing a story on the wireless about this type of scam happening to someone in Dublin. There are so many CCTV's around the place between Garda ones and shop owners CCTV that I'm sure you'd be able to prove it.

Another pointer is that no matter how big or small an accident, whether a scam or not, always call the guards, so at least they're third party and witness if it ends up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

@NissanDoc, With the camera you have hardwired in, Theres a battery in aswell yeah?
    If you have the ignition off then the battery will keep it going till it dies. Does it still keep the correct time and date when power is restored?

I want to get one and hardwire it in so i can just forget about it but if (hopefully never) i had to show it in court and the time/date was wrong it mightend hold up. I sometimes this can be the case with cctv.

In saying that though ill probibly still get one regardless but just thought id ask! ;)

jimbis wrote: »
    @NissanDoc, With the camera you have hardwired in, Theres a battery in aswell yeah?
    If you have the ignition off then the battery will keep it going till it dies. Does it still keep the correct time and date when power is restored?

I want to get one and hardwire it in so i can just forget about it but if (hopefully never) i had to show it in court and the time/date was wrong it mightend hold up. I sometimes this can be the case with cctv.

In saying that though ill probibly still get one regardless but just thought id ask! ;)

There is a battery in it too(like a Nokia phone battery). The time and date has remained correct on mine but TBH I haven't removed the battery since I got it. I have looked back through plenty of footage running just on the camera's battery and it has never come close to running down either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

There is a battery in it too(like a Nokia phone battery). The time and date has remained correct on mine but TBH I haven't removed the battery since I got it. I have looked back through plenty of footage running just on the camera's battery and it has never come close to running down either.

Thats a great feature..mine sadly doesn't have that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

how long do the cams last on battery only, when recording?
    These HD ones,the difference between the nightvision one and the no nightvision is it uses some leds to light some things close by like passengers, it hasn't got a more sensitive sensor?
    http://www.carcameradirect.com/order.php

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OK, so heres my Temp set up :

31f436b4.jpg

This sample is the camera on the 2MP setting, the other setting is HD, but my SD card at present is only 2GB and that only allows 20mins of recording so i will do a HD run in the morning and upload that so i can compare the two.

Any comments welcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement