Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Hi I've an appointment in canary wharf,never been to London, can anyone offer advice? Is Heathrow, or Gatwick or Stan stead more convenient to fly into ? Thanks,s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Poochie05

London City is right beside Canary Wharf, both British Airways and City Jet fly there from Dublin. Some good fares with City Jet at the moment http://www.cityjet.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi I've an appointment in canary wharf,never been to London, can anyone offer advice? Is Heathrow, or Gatwick or Stan stead more convenient to fly into ? Thanks,s

London city would be first choice, then Gatwick (take the train to London Bridge and then it's just 3 stops on the jubilee line)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

lxflyer wrote: »

Thanks very much for this.

I was going to get a Visitor Oyster Card and down the bottom it states;

"Pay as you go from early 2016 between Merstham and Gatwick Airport and on Gatwick Express between Victoria and Gatwick Airport"

I'm flying into Gatwick so will my Oyster Card work fine then? All the info I can find I think is out of date. I was going to get £30 loaded on the card for 3 days for use mainly around central London. Biggest journey will be from the airport. Never been so advice very much appreciated.

I'm guessing the airport is way outside the daily cap zones, can't seem to find how much it will cost though.

EDIT: I think I found it at £16.20 for journey. So I will then be on and off for the rest of that day would anyone be able to show me how I'd figure out my cap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

rizzla wrote: »

"Pay as you go from early 2016 between Merstham and Gatwick Airport and on Gatwick Express between Victoria and Gatwick Airport"

I'm flying into Gatwick so will my Oyster Card work fine then? All the info I can find I think is out of date. I was going to get £30 loaded on the card for 3 days for use mainly around central London. Biggest journey will be from the airport. Never been so advice very much appreciated.

I'm guessing the airport is way outside the daily cap zones, can't seem to find how much it will cost though.

EDIT: I think I found it at £16.20 for journey. So I will then be on and off for the rest of that day would anyone be able to show me how I'd figure out my cap?

Are you flying into and out of Gatwick?

Are you flying into and out of Gatwick?

I am yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

They love to write confusing instructions. You can use Oyster to travel to Gatwick airport on the three rail companies Southern, Gatwick Express and Thameslink providing you are starting your journey (or ending it for journeys commencing at Gatwick Airport) within the TfL zone. The reference to Merstham is because it is on the zone 6 boundary. It's a convoluted way of saying that you can't use Oyster to head towards Brighton or Bognor Regis but can use it if you're heading into or from London.

I am yep.

Well then it's cheaper to use a normal return ticket on the train to/from Gatwick than to use Oyster. Oyster is only cheaper for single trips.

Cheapest option is Thameslink which will drop you to Blackfriars.

Avoid Gatwick Express at all costs - much more expensive.

Use Oyster for trips around central London.

If you plan on returning to London again get a normal Oyster card.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭limerickabroad

Hi all,

I will be in London for a 3 day weekend next month. First time since I was a child. Just wondering what would be my best option for using the Underground for 3 days (mostly short hops around the city centre)? Is there such a thing as a 3-day travel pass? There is a blizzard of (unclear) options online, which are difficult to figure out for a newbie to London. Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

@limerickabroad same as post above. Get an Oyster Card, whack 20/30 quid on it and you'll be grand for 3 days. You can get a refund on unused credit when you're leaving, or hang on to it for next time.

Cheapest option is Thameslink which will drop you to Blackfriars.

Thanks very much. Will definitely go with Thameslink, regarding ticket types. I was gonna go with the open return ticket. Just worried that I have to select the train I depart on when I arrive by the minute. Never know if my flight may be delayed etc. Am I better of just purchasing the return ticket in the station on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Well then it's cheaper to use a normal return ticket on the train to/from Gatwick than to use Oyster. Oyster is only cheaper for single trips.

If you are going to use oyster PAYG on the same day/days as trips to/from Gatwick it will probably be cheaper than seperate tickets as the Gatwick part is included in the day cap. That only applies on Thameslink or Southern NOT Gatwick Express.

Thanks very much. Will definitely go with Thameslink, regarding ticket types. I was gonna go with the open return ticket. Just worried that I have to select the train I depart on when I arrive by the minute. Never know if my flight may be delayed etc. Am I better of just purchasing the return ticket in the station on the day?

Open return tickets on Thameslink are not time specific.

Just pick a train that suits you, but you can still get any other departure.

Online journey planners require you to select specific trains to sell you the correct tickets, those tickets are not always tied to specific trains.

Anything listed as Anytime, Off peak, super off peak are not tied to any train and can be used on any valid train. They are also not discounted for advance purchase, bought from the station they are the same price.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    If you are going to use oyster PAYG on the same day/days as trips to/from Gatwick it will probably be cheaper than seperate tickets as the Gatwick part is included in the day cap. That only applies on Thameslink or Southern NOT Gatwick Express.

Not so I'm afraid.

The cap from Gatwick is £30 anytime and £19 after 09:30.

Paper off-peak travel cards from Gatwick are £17 for Thameslink & Southern, £16.30 for Southern only and £14.30 for Thameslink only.

As far as I can tell (and I have researched it quite a bit), Oyster really should only be used to/from Gatwick if buying a single ticket.

Not so I'm afraid.

The cap from Gatwick is £30 anytime and £19 after 09:30.

Paper off-peak travel cards from Gatwick are £17 for Thameslink & Southern, £16.30 for Southern only and £14.30 for Thameslink only.

As far as I can tell (and I have researched it quite a bit), Oyster really should only be used to/from Gatwick if buying a single ticket.

You are correct. The normally reliable source I used has incorrectly applied the z1-9 cap to Gatwick fares.

The lack of clear information from TfL about the fares for this extension is very disappointing although as it is far from a bargain it does appear to be a rather cynical chapter. It does explain why Southern/GTR who were dead against accepting Oyster outside London have now agreed, this will no doubt be a good deal for them.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    You are correct. The normally reliable source I used has incorrectly applied the z1-9 cap to Gatwick fares.

The lack of clear information from TfL about the fares for this extension is very disappointing although as it is far from a bargain it does appear to be a rather cynical chapter. It does explain why Southern/GTR who were dead against accepting Oyster outside London have now agreed, this will no doubt be a good deal for them.

My bible for all things Oyster and National Rail is:
    http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭limerickabroad

Another question here from a London newbie. I'll be flying out of Stansted coming home - late night Ryanair flight. How much time do I need to get through Stansted, (so I can maximise my time in London)? I'll have just a shoulder bag, boarding pass already printed, so no check in. Is 60/70 minutes cutting it too fine?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Get a fast pass and you'll definitely be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Another question here from a London newbie. I'll be flying out of Stansted coming home - late night Ryanair flight. How much time do I need to get through Stansted, (so I can maximise my time in London)? I'll have just a shoulder bag, boarding pass already printed, so no check in. Is 60/70 minutes cutting it too fine?
    Thanks!

Give yourself 90 mins minimum... Because it 60 mins CAN be possibly done doesn't mean that it always would work like that. I dont know how you are getting to the airport but your train could be late, stopped on the track for a while, traffic on the roads.. could be a crash etc.... or any delay like that and there is pretty much zero padding at all with even a moderate delay when you factor in getting to security, getting through security and the long walk to the gate... not worth the hassle. Security screening at STN unless quiet can be a hassle they seem to be more fussy then most airports I travel through and pretty rude with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Hi everyone. I'm new to Boards so I apologise in advance if I'm asking questions that have already been asked & probably answered! I'm going to London for 3 nights & 4 days this weekend. Is Camden market good or is there any good markets for fake designer gear? And what days are best to go?

What website is good to see events on London this weekend?

What else beside these 10 attractions is a must to see ?

1. British Museum

2. National Gallery

3. Natural History Museum

4. Southbank Centre

5. Tate Modern

6. Coca-Cola London Eye

7. Victoria and Albert Museum

8. Science Museum

9. Somerset House

10. Tower of London

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

There's a London thread stickied above, you should have a gander through that.

http://www.timeout.com/london for events

That's a nice list you have there but don't try to do too much would be my advice, just enjoy yourself. Also everyone's must see list would be different. If you like food the Borough Market is really interesting, it's not far from the Tate Modern and the Globe Theatre if you're going there.

http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/

I'm not sure but I thought I heard that the fake stuff was gone from Camden.

Take a river boat to Greenwich and walk up to the Royal Observatory for a fabulous view of London, or alternatively head to Primrose Hill or Hampstead Heath for an equally magnificent view of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

hi looking for some advice

going to london this weekend , we are staying in covent gareden.
    would camden town be a good option for friday night? looking to head up at about 1800 till closing time.

any reccomendations as to places to eat here , also pubs / late bars to go to?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Use Oyster for trips around central London.

If you plan on returning to London again get a normal Oyster card.

Has anybody used their Irish contactless bank card as an alternative Oyster card? https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/what-are-contactless-payment-cards?intcmp=8610

Where there any extra changes?

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Has anybody used their Irish contactless bank card as an alternative Oyster card? https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/what-are-contactless-payment-cards?intcmp=8610

Where there any extra changes?

There would be extra charges as each trip will be treated as a separate transaction.

So don't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kayevajo wrote: »
    hi looking for some advice

going to london this weekend , we are staying in covent gareden.
    would camden town be a good option for friday night? looking to head up at about 1800 till closing time.

any reccomendations as to places to eat here , also pubs / late bars to go to?

thanks

Camden is a great spot but I avoid it on a Friday / Saturday night as it just gets too busy. Forget about not only trying to find a seat in a pub just somewhere to stand comfortably would be difficult... my favourite pub in the area though is the Hawley Arms just under the bridge opposite the Stables market. Nice ambience.. cool staff and very nice food... really good for afternoon or early evening visit for food and or drinks but also gets rammed at night so unless you get there early and bag a table for the evening. Also in that area The Elephants head is a good music bar.. avoid the Oxford Arms at all costs BTW...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Why are you looking to go to Camden in the first place? Lots of decent pubs near Covent Garden.

Advertisement