Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tinder

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I'm glad I left tinder now ,looking at these comments.
    Calling men you don't know saps and gimps.
    That's very charming alright.

I was calling people who use that pathetic quote gimps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Alright girls he's gone, you can all come back now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭FollatonWood

I downloaded it there today. Me no likey, I've swiped left for 4 guys and it's telling me they've all matched with me.

Also, there's no info, it's all just faces. A big blur of sometimes pretty faces.

I can see faces walking down the street; I want to know what someones about before I bother my ass messaging them.

I'm bored now..

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I downloaded it there today. Me no likey, I've swiped left for 4 guys and it's telling me they've all matched with me.

Also, there's no info, it's all just faces. A big blur of sometimes pretty faces.

I can see faces walking down the street; I want to know what someones about before I bother my ass messaging them.

I'm bored now..

You wouldn't be bored if you messaged one of them and tried to find out what they're about...

thefloss wrote: »
    You wouldn't be bored if you messaged one of them and tried to find out what they're about...

Based on what though? Least with Pof or okc you can read a bit about them. I think Tinder is more for the shallower peeps...

Not that I'm not shallow, but I do like a good personality with the rugged good looks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 id rather brie

Paully D wrote: »
    Do women include anything other than Marilyn Monroe quotes in their "about me" section? I swear, if I see one more "I'm selfish, impatient, a complete and utter pain in the arse so if you don't want to put up me being a bunny boiler then you don't deserve me" quote. Grrrr......

I hate this with a searing passion. Just as bad is the women that have themselves in a group of other women in EVERY. DAMN. PICTURE! Do I win a sniff of your knickers if I solve the -ultimately disappointing - mystery of which one you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FudgeBrownie

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    So I joined tinder last night and have 50 matches already. Should I be impressed or does everyone just like every picture??

Ya' big Durty Murtaaaaaay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

You're very sensitive. Some people are saps and gimps, it's true.

I'm bored now..

Yea, well get talking to them, the same way you would in real life you know. People don't carry signs describing their personality out in town either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm bored now..

Message them? Get their facebook or snapchat with them after you get to know them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Downloaded it the other day (was bored, curious and cooped up in the house for a week) and have matched with maybe 20 guys. I hate the whole idea that girls are supposed to wait for the guy to get in touch so I sent a message to a couple of them and nada. :(

I think it's definitely a place to get a bit of ego stroking and boost your confidence. From my (minimal) experience there's not much actual contact, which is a shame because some of the About Me that the guys write can be quite funny and interesting which would draw me towards them. I'm single and would have no problem pursuing a relationship if things went well.

I don't think I'll find my future husband on it or anything but the main things I've noticed is that LOTS of men have a photo of themselves smoking a cigar, everyone shares their snapchat name and men say they want a message but don't actually mean it.

Also I've found a lot of my friend's boyfriends on it (actually there is currently a thread on boards about a guy who has a gf and was caught out on Tinder by her friend) and this frustrates me because I wonder how many of the guys I matched with have girlfriends.

Either way, tis only a bit of fun and I won't get too caught up in it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

Been on it for about three weeks or so now. Talked to a couple of girls before clicking with someone, at least digitally any way. Meeting up for the first time this weekend. Ahh!

Much like other people have said, I've realised the "Hello, how are you?" approach just doesn't work. It either doesn't get a reply or the chat lasts for about three messages each because you get so bored with one another.

Always seems to be left to the guy to message first ss well!

Also, agree re Marilyn quotes, instareject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

thecatspjs wrote: »
    Yea, well get talking to them, the same way you would in real life you know. People don't carry signs describing their personality out in town either.

Exactly, the whole point of the app is its simplicity, you download it and off you go......no need to fill out a whole likes and dislikes and describe yourself type thing that you'd do on an online dating site. You match with someone, you chat, you don't like them you move on. It's like the real world - you see someone you like in a bar for example so you talk to them.....you don't automatically get to know them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Jaggy wrote: »
    Been on it for about three weeks or so now. Talked to a couple of girls before clicking with someone, at least digitally any way. Meeting up for the first time this weekend. Ahh!

Much like other people have said, I've realised the "Hello, how are you?" approach just doesn't work. It either doesn't get a reply or the chat lasts for about three messages each because you get so bored with one another.

Always seems to be left to the guy to message first ss well!

Also, agree re Marilyn quotes, instareject.

Been on about a week or so and little joy, only chatted to a couple of girls which tailed off but I'll keep plugging away, it's not a big effort to have a flick every day when you're sitting at home or in work and see what happens.

Defo agree on the approach, I've tried the random statements and questions or a comment/question on their photos....got a couple of how are you's? and it's not much of a conversation starter, you need a bit of an opener that leads into a conversation about something.

Marilyn Monroe quotes.....no thanks.
    Text speak.......left
    Wedding photos/photos with boyfriend.......big fat X

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Exactly, the whole point of the app is its simplicity, you download it and off you go......no need to fill out a whole likes and dislikes and describe yourself type thing that you'd do on an online dating site. You match with someone, you chat, you don't like them you move on. It's like the real world - you see someone you like in a bar for example so you talk to them.....you don't automatically get to know them.

I'm very dubious that every photo I clicked has apparently matched with me also tbh.

Ah it's just not my thing so I deleted it earlier, but I see your point alright if that's the way you like doing things. There are just too many messers on those type of set ups in my exp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I'm very dubious that every photo I clicked has apparently matched with me also tbh.

Ah it's just not my thing so I deleted it earlier, but I see your point alright if that's the way you like doing things. There are just too many messers on those type of set ups in my exp!

Oh no! Everyone you indicated an attraction to was also attracted to you!

kiffer wrote: »
    Oh no! Everyone you indicated an attraction to was also attracted to you!

Well no, it's more that I'm dubious that every person I clicked on just happened to have clicked on me too. I don't buy it tbh.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Post a picture of yourself and we'll tell you how likely it is...

I got a lovely message from a married man. WTF? Blocked. :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh the other thing is that when you log in, you will first be shown the people who have already clicked yes on you - so if you are going to get matches it will be at the start. Keep going for a while and they will eventually run out.

Zascar wrote: »
    Oh the other thing is that when you log in, you will first be shown the people who have already clicked yes on you - so if you are going to get matches it will be at the start. Keep going for a while and they will eventually run out.
    I've actually got a couple of girls. Has Tinder ran out of men for me :(

• Advertisement

Post a picture of yourself and we'll tell you how likely it is...

Nice try. But there's no need - I don't need the ego boost at all. What I'm saying, is that I don't think it's likely that every guy I've been attracted to on there has been attracted to me. I think it's rigged tbh.

Also, as I said, I like to know a bit about someone before talking to them. Someone mentioned that people walking down the street don't have signs around their neck with their likes/dislikes - I get that, but 1. you can get a vibe off someone in person that you don't get from a photo and 2. From a photo I've no idea what height they are, what build they are etc. Factors which all matter in terms of attraction. Also, sure the whole point of online dating to me is that it's an alternative to approaching someone you know nothing about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 SYT2000

Nice try. But there's no need - I don't need the ego boost at all. What I'm saying, is that I don't think it's likely that every guy I've been attracted to on there has been attracted to me. I think it's rigged tbh.

Also, as I said, I like to know a bit about someone before talking to them. Someone mentioned that people walking down the street don't have signs around their neck with their likes/dislikes - I get that, but 1. you can get a vibe off someone in person that you don't get from a photo and 2. From a photo I've no idea what height they are, what build they are etc. Factors which all matter in terms of attraction. Also, sure the whole point of online dating to me is that it's an alternative to approaching someone you know nothing about.

Maybe it's because a lot of guys just like every profile regardless to play the numbers game.

SYT2000 wrote: »
    Maybe it's because a lot of guys just like every profile regardless to play the numbers game.

That's pretty much my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Typically from people well outside the specified distance range. Wish i could get some local matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

That's pretty much my point.

The flip side of that is on dating sites you can spend time reading a profile and writting to them and then they are not interested. Both have pros and cons. Get chatting and see how it goes.

For those getting no response try getting a good picture. Something interesting and not one that looks like a crimeline shot or you downing a pint.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The whole point of Tinder is that it's not like normal online dating.

Not having to fill out a big profile is exactly the point of it. If you like the look of someone talk to them. If you're unsure talk to them. If you don't like the look of them then don't. What have you got to lose from talking to someone?

If you need to know about someone before talking to them then you're approaching it wrong.

It gets rid of the nonsense of online dating where people try to become psychologists with regards to other people's lengthy and waffly profiles. It's pretty difficult to accurately describe yourself in a profile, Tinder makes it less difficult and more fun by removing that bit.

I don't use it (because I'm not single), but I think it's a great idea and it's easy to see why it has become quite popular.

awec wrote: »
    The whole point of Tinder is that it's not like normal online dating.

Not having to fill out a big profile is exactly the point of it. If you like the look of someone talk to them. If you're unsure talk to them. If you don't like the look of them then don't. What have you got to lose from talking to someone?

If you need to know about someone before talking to them then you're approaching it wrong.

It gets rid of the nonsense of online dating where people try to become psychologists with regards to other people's lengthy and waffly profiles. It's pretty difficult to accurately describe yourself in a profile, Tinder makes it less difficult and more fun.

I don't use it (because I'm not single), but I think it's a great idea and it's easy to see why it has become quite popular.

I didn't really say there was anything wrong with it - I said that I'm not a fan of it.

Tinder just kinda creeps me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Zascar already pointed this out, but you get matches every time you open Tinder because that's how it works. It's only common sense that Tinder starts off every time by showing you people who already swiped right on you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Quite a fan of tinder when i am board or on the loo or what ever.

Like i find it has some quite good looking girls on it over say a dating site EG more my type. Eg i found from dateing sites there is a lot of girls with a lot of problems on it and a lot are to much to deal with.

Like have met up with a few on it went grand like as if you met in public your grand LoL. Like i am still chat to one i met but distance is a problem but shes quite a nice girl.

But a friend of mine met the girl he is seeing off it. Far play to him as like shes good looking and not my type and seems to be a nice girl anyway. Like it proves the point people can easily find love in it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I only like a girl if I find her attractive. First girl I got a match with was an automated ****e plugging a cam site of some sort! Have had all genuine ones since then tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

etxp wrote: »
    I only like a girl if I find her attractive. First girl I got a match with was an automated ****e plugging a cam site of some sort! Have had all genuine ones since then tho.

This happened to me, I thought i'd hit the bigtime and was having my first ever sexting session. Was a bit awkward as my mum was in the room at the time. She told/asked me to go a cam site with her, it was a tinyurl link so i blocked and deleted it. Was very disappointed. I've had a bit of luck on tinder, Im very picky about who i swipe, anyone under 27 is swiped left (im 36), and only swipe right if i genuinly like the look of them (i have a type). In saying that i never message anyone back as i've no idea what to say in the text. Which is ridiculous because some of the ladies look lovely but that is why i am eternally single.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    In saying that i never message anyone back as i've no idea what to say in the text. Which is ridiculous because some of the ladies look lovely but that is why i am eternally single.
    Awwwww :(

Think of something funny to say to them? Look at their pics and pick something up in them to talk about....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Got a match on it there with a lad whose 'about' bit says "I am just on this to get the ride" - I liked his honesty :/

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

etxp wrote: »

Forgot to mention this happened to me too, plus my housemate, so it seems to be fairly common. The give away is the girl messaging first :v

"Just finished work and am feelin horny, wanna go on cam? I only need your credit card details first"

Sure thing love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

This is the closest I've got to an automated cam site profile... I swiped right

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

every single free dating app/site in the world has a certain amount of bots on it. If you're unsure ask 'what time is it?' - they can't answer that xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Bots are pretty easy to detect. Their profile will be something stupidly seedy like "just on this looking for some fun xxx". Their pictures will be poor quality and it's fairly easy to tell that they were taken in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Quite a fan of tinder when i am board or on the loo or what ever.

Thanks for that mental image! Now I'm parnoid that anyone I'm chatting to is having a dump :(

The nolvety has nearly worn off for me, I've gotten lazy replying to people after only a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I have just seen a guy kissing a bride on the lips at the top of the alter in one of his pictures.......!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

newbee22 wrote: »
    I have just seen a guy kissing a bride on the lips at the top of the alter in one of his pictures.......!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

"Well, this is awkward"... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Coffee Cup

They could be broken up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Coffee Cup wrote: »
    They could be broken up
    Yes, but it's not exactly what most people would show when they're looking to hook up.

''This is my ex-wife and I, please contact me if you would like to be her replacement.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've seen quite a few with wedding photos on it. many of whom are happily married. They are the same type of people that bombard you with candy crush requests and 'like this post to bring back Elvis' type sh1te. I think they just sign up to anything and everything facebook tells them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Should have swiped right to see if we were the perfect match! :rolleyes::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Should have swiped right to see if we were the perfect match! :rolleyes::p
    You could have borrowed the dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Youzername

Got a couple of matches on this, but the majority of people don't seem to write back if you message them? (Why did you swipe right then!?)

In fairness, I haven't put a lot of effort into being funny or witty, I just say 'Hey' or something :o

Do I need to put more effort in to the introductory message???

Plus, women never seem to write to you first!? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Youzername wrote: »
    Got a couple of matches on this, but the majority of people don't seem to write back if you message them? (Why did you swipe right then!?)

In fairness, I haven't put a lot of effort into being funny or witty, I just say 'Hey' or something :o

Do I need to put more effort in to the introductory message???

Plus, women never seem to write to you first!? :pac:

Yea, you have to be creative or else the conversation will die a quick death. A lot of people are only on it for a bit of fun so a few awkward messages aren't really gonna fly. I've talked to some girls about it and the majority said that they wait for the guy to make the first move so don't take it personally if you don't hear from them. Just start using cheesy/funny chat up lines, worked for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

I'm a girl and haven't had a single guy message me first! I can't be arśed waiting around after we both swiped right, so after a day or two I send a message and only get a reply from one or two which never leads to anything more than a few minutes of conversation.

I'm only on it to have a chat and a laugh, it's not like I have a big 'DESPERATE' flashing light over me or anything so I don't think its me. I still stand by my earlier comment that its just an app to boost your ego.

• Advertisement
Advertisement