Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heart Don't fail me now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭griffin100

Nice report CW and hard luck about missing your target time.
    I have a dream in my head for 2014 for Ironman Canada on my 40th weekend (to get out of a party over here).

I'm in the same boat next year and will be getting away to a nice event so that my mother can't throw a 40th birthday party :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

BennyMul wrote: »
    great report,
    if im allowed I will add that 1/2 to the list for next year:D.

See you at DCM, you aiming for any specific time?

+1 :)

DCM is starting to get a bit busy with Tri Boardsies :rolleyes:.
    Reminder - 5pm today is the cutoff for the 1st early bird entry fee. Just heading to sign up myself now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well the running is going over here - wouldn't say its going well but I am getting out most days. Its bloody hot so a lot of it is trotting along as I cant really get out in the morning or evening. A few 7k runs and two 14k run so far, getting a short 2k swim in each day when I can as well but it is more dodging lilos and kids than anything else

I must admit I am enjoying it though, nice to have a change of scenery for the running - I finally decided to run on the beach today and I cant think why I didn't do it earlier. Just under 9 miles and I think there was loads more sand to go if I wanted.

beach.jpg

A heady cocktail of bikini thongs and oppressive heat had me near delirious towards the end so I cut it off by a mile, I had entered a nudist area as well I assume as there were loads of fat naked men up by the sand dunes.

Staggered up to a beach bar where he was out of smoothies but had a little left in a jug so I got a freebie off him - that capped off one of those lovely runs that you get sometimes. Its finished off by jumping into the uncles pool when you get back to the house :p

The place drips money, I was sickened taking a picture of the Lamborghini below in the beach car park when the smug owner who couldn't have been more than early 20's rocks up, his mate then gets into the Ferrari beside him :rolleyes:

The iphone doesn't even do it justice, it looked like the Batmobile

lambo.jpg

ferrari.jpg

So I have no idea of the weight at the moment, dessert after every meal too I am afraid, but I signed up for Dublin Marathon anyways - no idea of predicted timegoal yet. I will be jumping into the Runners World 12 week marathon when I get home

75, 76, 78.....................79!

Well 4kgs put on over the holidays so I will take that at least i didn't fall back into the 80's again. Arrived home to a trailer full of turf outside the shed and the lawnmower parked and ready to go. The brother in law doesnt do holidays so I am guessing this is his way of punishing me for two weeks of beer and pizza :rolleyes:

I ran most days over there, no huge distances or fast speed as it was too hot but kept it to between 7-14k runs most days. Loads of runs on the beach which was great but may have put a little stress on the Achilles but no damage done.

I am guessing I am in slightly better shape at this stage than last year as I did f-all running over there last year and was approx 82kg coming home.

So back into my short 12 week Runners World / Furman hybrid I did last year from monday on! Wont be doing much cycling or swimming until its over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

What are you hoping for in DCM any targets in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What are you hoping for in DCM any targets in mind?

He should be following you around IMO if not ahead of you

pgibbo wrote: »
    He should be following you around IMO if not ahead of you

Good someone else to abuseencourage:D

No predicted time from me at this stage, I was well off with my times for Humbert so will leave my bold predictions till closer to the day. The Garmin ceremony to switch to miles was taken on friday morning

Need to cross check my remaining weeks with the plan but I thought there would be no harm in starting the 13.1 miles as the lsr on the sunday, if needs be I will do the same next week. I have decided I am not going to go with prescribed times for the moment but will work off heart rate zones instead. The plan is at least 3 runs a week with one tempo, one decent long mid week run and then the LSR at the weekend. I am sure I will get out running more than that but those three are the important ones

Friday Lunch: Just the local route of 8k, started out at 7.30 pace to get the heart rate up into Z2 quickly and then leveled off to finish at an average pace of 7.40 for the route, was going over 155 towards the end but I decided I would keep the pace going and finished with an average pace of 149.

Sunday: Finally you will hear no more about the the blasted bog for the rest of the year. Yerra get the turf home was the in laws mantra for the weekend so after a late night saturday with two avalanches in the shed the turf was finally brought home and stacked.

Sundays run was nice, a reward from the missus was I was let away from the mothers visit for a two hour run down the prom. A cracking morning - I had to catch myself as I headed out the door barechested, fine in Portugal but this wouldnt go down so well on the prom. So I compromised and put on a wife beater vest

This run was going to be a mix of Z1 and Z2 and I wanted to keep it in the 130's for as long as I could. So down the prom and back out to Barna with a run around the woods and then finished off with a visit to Silverstrand and back to the house. Enjoyable run, while the heart rate had gone into the 140's for the last four or five miles I seemed to get stronger.

13.3 miles at 8.22 pace

Sounds like all you were missing was a bottle of Buckfast!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So, there's a dress code on the prom?? Shoes and shirt required??? ;)

Sounds like all you were missing was a bottle of Buckfast!!! :D

Yes it was a bit of an old school tour alright although I didn't climb the monkey tree in Salthill Park
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    So, there's a dress code on the prom?? Shoes and shirt required??? ;)

Not at all but I would be running past old schoolfriends, neighbours etc etc, you would be the talk of the town if you were spotted running "half naked" down the prom.

Never sh1t on your own doorstep is an old saying around here ;)

catweazle wrote: »
    Not at all but I would be running past old schoolfriends, neighbours etc etc, you would be the talk of the town if you were spotted running "half naked" down the prom.

Never sh1t on your own doorstep is an old saying around here ;)

The talk of the town couldn't be all bad based on how fit you looked in your post race photo. Maybe you'd be more of a traffic hazard. ;)

Monday Lunch: An easy recovery run - average pace 8.50 for just under 5 miles. AHR = 129

Tuesday Lunch: I was sure at some stage that I would run past a few lads sitting on a wall with the football chant of you don't know what you are doing. I have a decent run planned for tomorrow but with the good weather that was in it and am conscious of an all day work outing to Dublin on thursday. I said I would go out and do something.

About five minutes into a slow 8.50 mile I settled on that I would run to Z2, took me a while to get the heart rate up to the 150's but the legs were a bit tired. Towards the end of the 10k as per usual these days I felt great and pushed it into the 160's for the last few minutes. Finished up at 7.50 pace for 6.3 miles AHR = 145. Need to get some more structure into these sessions as I am sure I will be able to run most days

Downloaded some clubland CD mix which turned out to be Europop at its worst, with mixes of Whitneys Houstons I wanna dance with somebody and 3 or 4 songs of which could only have been Scooter - terrible stuff altogether

Wednesday Lunch: Conscious of my endurance and having taken some constructive advice from last years plan I added at a late stage a decent midweek run. So I am going to do these again from the start this time. A slightly extended lunch got me in for 8 miles at 8.08 pace.

Lashing rain and had to run back to the house fairly soon into it as the iphone was not going to stay dry. After two weeks of 30+ weather in Portugal and another decent week of sun here, I had forgotten how much I enjoy running in the rain. Started off slow at 8.30 pace but with a rest day tomorrow I was mad for road and ended up running the last 3 miles or so well below sub 8 pace for an 8.08 pace for 8.3 miles. Forgot the hrm but it was all relatively comfortable.

On another note, the wife is loving me being around in the morning and after work - have to be careful here or the double sessions later on in the winter will be in trouble

Thursday: OFF

Friday:
    Again another bit of a half assed session - I think with the Furman/Runners World plan leaves me too open to aimless sessions. I will have a look at a more focused plan over the weekend. With me not cycling or swimming at the moment I have more time for running than I ever did so three planned sessions isn't enough.

Anyways I set out and feeling good went along at a decent clip - garmin beeps at the first mile and I was at 7.38, why not pick it up for a second mile and I have a somewhat reppish run going on I thought to myself so second mile was around 7.10ish from memory.

Shut up shop for a mile to recover but I was pleased to see mile 3 ended up at 7.57 even though I thought I was going slow. Picked it up again for mile 4, towards the end I was at 7.08 pace and I thought its been a long time since I saw a 6.xx on the clock so gunned it for the last few meters to take it in at 6.58. Was well shagged and hobbled home for the rest of the run so 4.7 miles at 7.38 pace. AHR = 154 Max = 179

Saturday: This was a struggle legs were still heavy from yesterday. I had stayed up too late with babysitting duty, watching AntiChrist on Film 4. Christ it was slow going but i was determined to see the violent scenes scene near the end which I immediately regretted :eek:

I was going to cut it short at 6 miles but ran 8 in the end as planned. Low heart rate but legs felt heavy 8 miles at 8.37 pace AHR = 134

Sunday: I didn't bother with the compression tights yesterday and the legs didnt feel great this morning. I wasn't looking forward to this weeks long run, 16 miles was a big jump from 13 last week. Shortly into this run I decided I was feeling great, loitering around 8.20 pace and the heart rate stayed in the 130's till around the ten mile mark. I started to find it a bit more testing at the 12 mark and took a rotton lemon and lime powerbar gel that I got at some race. I was delighted to bump into a friend on the road at this stage which gave me a nice five minute break.

I had got lazy and didn't plan my route so the last mile involved running past the house and back which I hate as I often just cut it short and head in the door. I had picked up the pace slightly for the last three and ran the last one at 7.58 pace, heart rate had gone up into the low 160's at this point.

So an enjoyable run up to a point and then the last mile or two became a slog. Back to 15 miles next week which is good news though. :) 16 miles at 8.17 pace. AHR=136 Max = 164

Strange movie but with a pretty eye watering end.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    Strange movie but with a pretty eye watering end.

I had actually found the start the most disturbing part of it with the toddler, beautifully choreographed scene with the music and the black and white footage. I had not expected the 2nd bit of that mutilation scene thought it was over with Dafoes so that gave me a shock.

Was thoroughly lost by the end of it though - I should stick to my action and martial arts movies :rolleyes:

Monday: I was up at a funeral in Leenane, lovely weather and it did get me thinking that I would like to do that swim in oct. Info here

I will have a think about it, timing is good as I will be in taper mode and we have friends up there that we have been meaning to visit for years - if I could talk Mrs C into making use of her wetsuit out in the shed used once in 3 years it might be a runner!

Recovery run - ambled down to the bridge and back for 5k.

Tuesday: With a work trip to Dublin tomorrow I was going to do the mid week long run today. Took a slightly sneaky long lunch. As its a rest day tomorrow I decided to run 9 miles in Z2, felt good besides wearing a jacket as I wanted to protect the ipod from rain. Of course it held off so I was sweating buckets half way through it.

Ran well - 9 miles at 7.44 pace. AHR =151

As an aside, I have been meaning to purchase a pair of Kinvaras for a long time, I liked the look of them when I saw Ronanmac wearing them a few yars ago at a duathlon. Reduced to 49 sterling on Start fitness over the weekend so I waded in. 10 pounds delivery was a bit of a pain but I will get nailed if I added to the list with a pair of bib tights, balaclava and some overshoes for my well intentioned upcoming winter cycling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Monday: I was up at a funeral in Leenane, lovely weather and it did get me thinking that I would like to do that swim in oct. Info here

oooohhh....that looks good! Might make the 750 my first big swim thing :) if I'm free that weekend :rolleyes:

littlebug wrote: »
    oooohhh....that looks good! Might make the 750 my first big swim thing :) if I'm free that weekend :rolleyes:

There's a charity swim at Kilbeg pier (Headford) next week littlebug if you fancy it. It's a pir to pier swim and back. There are boats to bring people back if they only swim one way. It's 500m or 1k return.

What about this one? A bit longer but that means more value for money :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

There's a charity swim at Kilbeg pier (Headford) next week littlebug if you fancy it. It's a pir to pier swim and back. There are boats to bring people back if they only swim one way. It's 500m or 1k return.

I saw that. I didn't realise there was a one way option.I think it's too soon though. I can swim 1000m in the pool but that's slowly and with breaks. I did a few short OW sea swims a few weeks ago but only one with wetsuit and found it quite hard (don't know if it's me or the aldi suit :o) but 7 weeks to the GF one gives time to figure it out and work on it and to soften the blow if I buy a new suit! I also plan on joining the masters group when it starts again so overall swim and stamina should improve by oct too :). I might go over for a look though to see what I'm getting into.... :eek:

and besides I've already registered for the Killary one !

griffin100 wrote: »
    What about this one? A bit linger but that means more value for money :D

Farrrr too long for me :D and too far away !

@catweazle.... sorry for hijack :o

littlebug wrote: »
    and besides I've already registered for the Killary one !

Well done - I bet you wouldn't have pictured pressing the register now on something like that a year ago

Deffo a multisport (tri) log now - you need to move it over here

Keep an eye out for a triathlon wetsuit - good time to get one as they will be clearing the stock for next year. Theres no comparision with an Aldi suit - thats for mainly keeping you warm - a tri wetsuit will give you some extra help

Worth popping down to Lough Hackett too littlebug. Check the Tri Lakes site or FB page. There's people swimming there a few nights a week.

I'd highly recomment Tuam Masters. Congrats on signing up to Killary :cool:

Wednesday: Nothing

Thursday: After receiving a marathon plan from a helpful Jackyback (dont know how you have time to be mentoring a club along with all that training). I finally decided to bite the bullet and do some interval training. I have been studiously avoiding these type of runs for years as I hate going into the red.

Hence going around in bad form all day - as I had it hanging over me. There was no way I was going to dive straight into 6 x 1 @ 4.20 and then 2 x 1.5 @ 4 minutes off 60 seconds recovery so I compromised and did the 6 x 4.20. All finished in around 4.10-4.15 and in truth they weren't that bad although not quiet so easy to persuade me to do the 1.5 x 2. 9k done in total AHR=162

Friday:
    Just a short 8k lunchtime run, took it easy, 8k @ 5.09 pace with HR at 137. I met the postman with my new Saucony Kinvaras and I was delighted to see I was home alone when I walked in with them. I splurged again on CRC this morning on some more clothes (great sale) so I was delighted to get the shoes through customs in the green channel without being searched. At least she will only catch me for one purchase at worst now as I have so many runners on the go she wont have a clue once they are added to the pile (shoe box hidden in attic);).

All going well the Kinvaras will be the marathon shoes

Happy Birthday catweazle!!!! And a big WOO HOO just for you!! :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Happy Birthday catweazle!!!! And a big WOO HOO just for you!!

Whaaa - ehhhh, how the hell............oh yes Facebook, thanks - 38 the clock is ticking :o

Saturday AM: Pushed the long run forward as I was going to a friends house for dinner with the young lad and all so a run tomorrow might be in jeopardy. Straight off the legs were groaning as I set out, probably yesterdays run was a little fast for a recovery run

I just went from the house out the back roads towards Corofin for 7.5 miles and then turned around and came home. While heart rate was low, the legs were a bit stiff, got to the turnaround at 5.13 minute pace.

Felt much better on the way back and started averaging just under 5 minute pace to come home with an overall pace of 5.06 for the 15 miles. Last k or two the legs started to stiffen up heart rate had started to creep into the 160's at this stage too. . AHR = 144

Sunday: After staggering to bed at 3.30 am and the little man bright eyed and bunny tailed at 6.15, surprise surprise the day was a write off. Had my first fry in years and had my first takeaway in almost the same length of time. A Vindaloo from the local Indians which wasn't hot enough - I can eat fire!

Woke up this morning and have now sprained my neck getting out of bed so am hobbling around quasimodo like - ah the joys of late 30's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

merry belated birthday sir.

you're pushing on old man!!!!! :rolleyes:

This blasted stiff neck issue put me out of kilter way longer than expected. Monday was a write off and I tried a run on the tuesday but after a kilometre or so of staring at my feet while hobbling along I gave up and walked back.

I then got the green card to go swimming that evening if she dropped the little man down later for a dip - again I couldn't breathe to the right but I could breathe to the left - it felt uncomfortable though and I binned it after 800 metres for the Jacuzzi for fear I was aggravating it.

Wednesday was an all day work trek down to Cork.

Thursday
    - finally a run. The auld one arriving at lunch time with some type of kids bike seat attachment for the birthday screwed me for the planned run but I got out later. I am a bit sceptical looking at this contraption - its certainly not going on the pussywagon anyways. Whenever I get my road bike back off the sister perhaps I will look at it

I probably looked a bit like the action man doll running down the road, absolutely no head movement to either side but plenty of eyes rolling to the left and right. It was still a bit tender but shag it I haven't done anything since saturday. I didnt have any Revelatory experience with the new Kinvaras, they feel less cushioned than my other shoes is about all I can say.

Got through it with a little spurt into 4.40's towards the end to take me into 4.58 pace for the 8k. Should be ok from now on neck seems to be easing slightly every day. A terrible weeks training with me going out on the lash on saturday night as well, sunday will be a write off. A step back week though so could have been worse

On another note I got an apologetic email from CRC with delays on my cycling shorts - a thunderous and suitably outraged email back complaining that I wont have my new K-Swiss bib shorts for my big sportive outing this weekend got me a 5 pound voucher as an apology :D

Friday: A slightly longer run than thursdays effort. 13k at 5.06 average AHR= 142

Saturday: Pushed the long run forward a day with a big night out with the lads planned. The comments and digs about never going out reached a cescrendo among the lads so a night on the lash is the only way to appease them for another month. As per usual the grass took hours as I had let it go too long. Sometimes I think a ride on would have been a better purchase than a TT bike. Theres just too much lawn for one man a push lawnmower.

Finally got out, the plan called for a 10k race so i just was going to do 21k instead, gave up after 18, blowing a gale and lashing down. Finished at 5.05 pace pace AHR=142

Sunday:
    Needless to say nothing done, its tough with a young lad, falling into bed at 3.30 and he up and away at 6.15. Had to have three attempts at making his porridge before getting it right :o

Monday: Nothing again, I was working in Castlebar and was going to sneak into Knockma after work for some hill running on the way home but it was Mrs c's birthday so I thought better of it and went home

Tuesday:
    A look at the tempo run today made me groan, 50 minutes at 4.45 and then 5 at 4.30. I was going to do an easy one to build into it and do this tomorrow but I am in castlebar tomorrow and all day in dublin thursday so I better get the important sessions in while I had the chance. It wasn't too bad, easy at first then hard and then as per usual seemed to be ok towards the last few k again, couldn't find the hr strap so no stats there but i was working hard nd came in overall at 4.42 pace for the 55 minutes. Got Aldis finest compression gear in the sale last week so I am top to toe in compression gear which isn't the sexiest look. The medium shorts are too big and the medium top is too small :mad:

• Advertisement

Good work on the tempo run.

Good work on the tempo run.

Thanks - while i have been doing them I think I was more race pace for them so the extra bit of pace will hopefully stand to me.

As an aside is thursdays intervals correct?? I see approx 1.20 to do them but whats prescribed will take nowhere near as long as that - is it missing a section or is it just the time is wrong*.

* secretly hoping time is wrong - i hate intervals

As an aside is thursdays intervals correct?? I see approx 1.20 to do them but whats prescribed will take nowhere near as long as that [/SIZE]

Are you looking at the Rest Interval between intervals :confused:

RedB wrote: »
    Are you looking at the Rest Interval between intervals :confused:

Ya JB doesn't really rate you or Oryx as you have no chance of sub 3.30 but I got the golden ticket for the gold level plans :D

Ya JB doesn't really rate you or Oryx as you have no chance of sub 3.30 but I got the golden ticket for the gold level plans :D

Oh really! So he didn't let you know about the PLATINUM level plan that I'm working off of :D

(Fancy another Mai Tai there JB? - There's another one in it for you if you can hold back CW as well as Oryx!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

good work so far and you will be wel set for the start line.

Thanks - while i have been doing them I think I was more race pace for them so the extra bit of pace will hopefully stand to me.

As an aside is thursdays intervals correct?? I see approx 1.20 to do them but whats prescribed will take nowhere near as long as that - is it missing a section or is it just the time is wrong*.

* secretly hoping time is wrong - i hate intervals

I think you are misreading it:) It is 4x(1km & 2km reps at the planned pace and jog/recovery interval. Sorry to burst your bubble:D
    RedB wrote: »
    Oh really! So he didn't let you know about the PLATINUM level plan that I'm working off of :D

(Fancy another Mai Tai there JB? - There's another one in it for you if you can hold back CW as well as Oryx!)

Oryx is on the diamond encrusted plan, yer both screwed :)

Plans are working well as we have 40 from the club aiming for DCM and most set 5k, 5mile and 10k pbs during the Frank Duffy 10miler a while back. The coach must be awesome:)

I think you are misreading it:) It is 4x(1km & 2km reps at the planned pace and jog/recovery interval. Sorry to burst your bubble:D

Ouch - Thats certainly not what I was thinking with my rose tinted glasses on (thought the 2km was just one at the end of the session)

Ouch - Thats certainly not what I was thinking with my rose tinted glasses on (thought the 2km was just one at the end of the session)

No sure that would be easy. HTFU and SIU buttercup:)

• Advertisement

So how did the intervals go buttercup????? :D

Not happening today - I am stuck in some crappy pub in Lucan sipping coffees trying to waste time for my next meeting. Now before you say i should have brought the gear a covered in sweat look isn't good for sales.

I may fit it in tomorrow but long run has to be on Saturday with Loughrea triathlon duties all sunday.

Intervals tomorrow and long run Sunday from house to Loughrea! ;) I'll bring you home! :D

Intervals tomorrow and long run Sunday from house to Loughrea! ;) I'll bring you home! :D

+1, miss the key sessions and your bunched for DCM. The tempo, interval and long run is the meat in the sandwich!!

Wednesday: An easy 8k around the local route.

Thursday:
    Nothing up in dublin for the day

Friday:
    Was a long work day I had hoped to get the interval run in at lunch but had to go into town for a work meeting at short notice, so it was hanging over me till 5 when I could get out. I am an awful man for getting something into my head wothout checking it and the session I had to do was 1k @ 4.20 with 60 seconds rest and then 2k @ 8 minutes with 2 minutes rest x 4 times. The 4.20 wasnt an issue but the 8 minutes for 2k was, I knew I would be on my limit from the 2nd set on. A final check of the sheet just before I went was mood changing when I relaised I was getting the 3 hour and 3.30 hour plan mixed up and I would only have to run the 2k's in 9 minutes. My mood improved immediately as I knew I would be able for that session.

Straight off while waiting for the Garmin to load the Heart rate was in the low 40's always a good sign for me to have a good run. They say you should always have room for one more interval after the session was over, I think I could have mustered one more alright. Kept the rt's all slightly under target time and came home after running just over 15k. I hate Intervals but slowly beginning to warm to them, I am trying to see them like fast swim sessions which I have no problem getting up for. AHR=154

Saturday LSR: A game of two halves, heart rate was in mid 60's setting out today and the legs and mood were tired. I don't like doing two tough runs back to back. The opening 6k was at 5.20 pace and this was no problem. The next 8k was at 5.00 pace and it wasn't long before I was feeling the strain. Got through this and stopped off in Keanes in Corofin for my usual drink.

Away again and the plan called for 3 x 15 minutes @ 4.45 pace with 5 minutes break which I rounded down to 3k @ 4.45 pace. While I made these times I certainly took longer breaks to recover, running a km at 6.00 minute pace between each set. Legs were wrecked. 27k at 5.09 pace AHR = 149

Came home to a very agitated Mrs C as Pudsey was carrying a high temperature and we all remember what happened the last time he had one. Straight into Westdoc where he has a sore throath but nothing too bad.

Over to Loughrea marshalling now for the triathlon - crap day but looks like it is improving. Hopefully will be home just in time for the hurling

Fair play on getting the 2 key session done at the weekend! That's 2 good days back to back. How are the legs after it?

• Advertisement

Good work CW but be careful stacking those key sessions back to back ideally i always like to have a day of easy in between to let the legs recover.

Fair play on getting the 2 key session done at the weekend! That's 2 good days back to back. How are the legs after it?

Not too bad, stiff sunday but fine today
    Good work CW but be careful stacking those key sessions back to back ideally i always like to have a day of easy in between to let the legs recover.

This will be a very rare occurrence, a combination of being short staffed at work, the club triathlon and a certain hurling match made it two hard runs in a row.

I probably would have skipped the intervals altogether except for being shamed into it on this log :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

CW what training plan are you using?

CW what training plan are you using?

Jackybacks plutonium enriched, dilithium crystal plan!

Monday Lunch: Mindful of tuesdays tempo run an easy 8k was the plan today - nice and easy and was pleased to see 5.03 pace for the route with an average heart rate of 137

Tuesday Lunch: On go the Kinvaras as tempo tuesday was upon me. If I was asked one of the runs I was most happiest with was a 75.xx time at the Clarinbridge 10 mile race a few years back. Besides a few marathons I have hardly ever done a running race on its own since. Finishing todays run at just over 1 hour and five minutes in fairly decent fettle, I realised that I would take a serious dent out of that time if I ever got around to doing one again. The distance suits me, i lack speed for the 5ks and I lack endurance for the marathons :rolleyes:

The plan called for 55 minutes at 4.45 pace and 10 minutes at 4.30 pace so I worked that around to be 12k at 4.45 and 2k at 4.30. Had an old Sasha and John Digweed mix ready to go and off I went. Seems to be the same every week, first few easy, middle few difficult and then flying towards the end of the run. I had plotted the route poorly and hit a decent headwind between the 9-13 which started to bring the heartrate up from the 140's. I am enjoying the tempo runs - while the legs are starting to feel it the breathing stayed nice and controlled throughout

Ended up from memory at around 4.42 pace for the 12k and than a 4.25 and 4.04 to finish. AHR = 152 Max = 172

Nice run, assuming I did my conversions to miles correctly. I think you will see the dreaded intervals and tempos pay dividends for you at the marathon. You've got endurance if paced properly, and the fast stuff will add to what you already have. You gunning for a sub 3:30 I assume??

• Advertisement
Advertisement