Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tips To Avoid Speeding

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

CiniO wrote: »
    Can you show any single example of R road with 100km/h speed limit.

Many R roads in West Cork are 100km/h.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.7505628,-9.3762485,3a,75y,72.02h,81.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgigwCQEaI6bTD3VbcFrelQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

the main drag back to the City from Bantry is a 100km/h R Road, the N road takes the long way round....odd but true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

R639 NewInn to Cashel, 100kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

How to avoid speeding?

6 points on your licence is a great way to focus the mind.

Extremely easy to do too, particularly in those areas on the outskirts of towns where it goes from 80 to 50.

A Sat Nav would be my suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Avoid speeding?

Drive a 1.9D Corolla :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

mikeecho wrote: »
    Take the bus/train.

It might add a few hours to your commute, but you can easily pass the time by reading the rules of the road.

You can obey speed limits and still enjoy your kid(s)/wife/hubby in the evening/morning, still have a life like
    If you spend more than 2h in your commute each day, there is something wrong with your life/work balance.
    We only live once.
    My 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Some cars have a camera that reads the road signs and displays it, the Opel insignia is one such car.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20081020005163/en/Hella-Supplies-2009-Opel-Traffic-Sign-Detection

When I was in the UK some time back there were a lot of speed limit changes and speed cameras everywhere so I asked my passenger to call out any 30's they saw just in case! Low tech but it worked. Maybe train your kids :-) if you have any.

Otherwise cruise control is a good idea.
    Really I find part of the issue is the speed limits seem to change when you are driving in a busy area and spending more time watching for hazards than noticing signage.

The OPs question is genuine, pity theres so many troll answers on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

people on this saying obey the limits, pay attention to road etc.. makes me laugh, like as if they are angels on the roads. Everyone goes over the limit daily, especially in 30 or 50kmh zones. I understand where OP is coming from. I the odd time would go down a small road and come to a cross road for example. you go down the road and no sign displaying the speed limit. have to guess until, maybe miles and miles later, you find a speed sign and adjust speed. I know a certain village has a 30kmh zone and not a single vehicle obeys that limit simply because its too slow for the type of road (It goes from 100 -> 60 ->30). I could nearly run that speed flat out

people on this saying obey the limits, pay attention to road etc.. makes me laugh, like as if they are angels on the roads. Everyone goes over the limit daily, especially in 30 or 50kmh zones. I understand where OP is coming from. I the odd time would go down a small road and come to a cross road for example. you go down the road and no sign displaying the speed limit. have to guess until, maybe miles and miles later, you find a speed sign and adjust speed. I know a certain village has a 30kmh zone and not a single vehicle obeys that limit simply because its too slow for the type of road (It goes from 100 -> 60 ->30). I could nearly run that speed flat out

well if you learned the regulations you would know that if there is no sign the road you are turning onto is the same as the one you came out of (in a rural situation, 80km/h). If it was an N road with a 100 km/h limit this would be displayed after every side turning.

If it was an N road with a 100 km/h limit this would be displayed after every side turning.

My gut instinct is to say that's not true? :confused:

This is actually something I've had in my head before, and I have to be honest and say that I never noticed a speed sign after every turn onto an N road...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The majority of N roads I've been on have regular repeater 100km/h signs.

Quite often they're placed before bends or series of bends that can't be safely taken at anything over 60km/h

those repeater signs you will find are in fact just after junctions with lower speed limit roads. Check it out, if you haven't realised this, your observational skills are below par.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

those repeater signs you will find are in fact just after junctions with lower speed limit roads. Check it out, if you haven't realised this, your observational skills are below par.

Actually they're not always. I just did a quick Google Streetview along a road I know, the N81, and there are in fact several junctions without a repeater after them, including one where a side road joins literally a few meters after a reduction to 50km/h. Generally junctions with R roads are signed, but many lesser roads aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

To be honest I just drive at the same pace as other traffic.

Alun wrote: »
    Actually they're not always. I just did a quick Google Streetview along a road I know, the N81, and there are in fact several junctions without a repeater after them, including one where a side road joins literally a few meters after a reduction to 50km/h. Generally junctions with R roads are signed, but many lesser roads aren't.

Yeah, I just did the same thing, too. Just checked a handful of random locations around the country. Didn't seem to be the norm that there'd be a limit sign after a turn onto the N road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If someone is going faster than you leave a 1/4 mile gap after them and keep an eye on their brake lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

you would often get some decent people that will flash their headlights once speed van in area and you would slow down

Advertisement