Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tips To Avoid Speeding

Options
  • 30-11-2015 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I recently got caught speeding. Have the fine paid and everything, but I'm just trying to make sure it never happens again.

So basically what I wanna know is if I don't know what the speed limit is on a road ie no signs what's a good way of hazarding a safe guess, in a way which I know I'm not breaking the limit but at the same time not going too slow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Do 50kmh until you see a sign saying otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Motorway 120kmph
    N Road (some R roads too) 100kmph
    Townland 60kmph
    Town/village/city centre inside townland 50kmph
    Backroads/R roads 80kmph

Rough guide, buy a sat nav with up to date speed warnings and head up eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Read the rules of the road it is all in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭cml387

To be absolutely sure you'd need to never exceed 80kph outside of a built up area.That would at least reduce your chances of being caught.
    Or just be vigilent, watch for signs especially speed camera signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Use the Cruise (cruise control) - abs brill for keeping speed in check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Read the rules pf the road. Obey them.
    Pay attention to what road you're on. There are speed signs everywhere.
    It's good you're willing to change your driving style.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

simple don't speed!!!

you know the speed limit, just stick to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Take one of the HT leads off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 duckduck1991

robtri wrote: »
    simple don't speed!!!

you know the speed limit, just stick to it.

I don't think that's the question he's asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

Some sat navs (current Garmins for sure) will display not only the current speed limit, but also play an audible warning if you go over it. Sounds annoying, but it's not really. We had one and used it all around Ireland and over to London (via Pembroke), and it really was a good way to discipline ourselves, especially in England/Wales. We could leave our car set to kph and the speed limit was also displayed in kph, e.g. 112 kph on the motorways.

It's especially handy in conjunction with cruise control/speed limiter.

However, just familiarising yourself with the speed limits in a given area and sticking to them is the easiest way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I average 70000 kms a year across the entire country and my company van is gps'd so I'm gently encouraged to keep to the limits, and it would be my opinion there's no excuse to not be aware at all times what the current limit is wherever you are. There's a fairly simple pattern to it when you start paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Take the bus/train.

It might add a few hours to your commute, but you can easily pass the time by reading the rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

I have never been caught speeding (thankfully) with two near misses.
    I find it extremely hard to keep within the speed limit in Dublin especially, when you have some !di0t constantly tailgating when you are trying to stay within the limits.
    I do understand that if he hits me - I will be in the clear, but it is psychological I guess when you look at your center mirror and some one is so close that you have to speed up to get away :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

where are you that there aren't speed limit signs? I don't think I've ever been on a road with no signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

It's easy enough to be unsure of the speed limit. Especially in traffic calming areas where it goes 50,60,80/100.

Then to be greeted with a "Safety Camera" sign.

If the sign included the current speed limit in that location it would make life a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

where are you that there aren't speed limit signs? I don't think I've ever been on a road with no signs.

Does happen, you can end up in heavy traffic and end up missing a sign as you pass it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

have to speed up to get away :(

If you pull off your reg plates you be harder to catch :)

Does happen, you can end up in heavy traffic and end up missing a sign as you pass it.

not the same as there being no signs .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

deandean wrote: »
    Use the Cruise (cruise control) - abs brill for keeping speed in check.

I must get back in the gym to strengthen my abs..Didn't realise they could control the speed I drive at

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Motorway 120kmph
    N Road (some R roads too) 100kmph
    Townland 60kmph
    Town/village/city centre inside townland 50kmph
    Backroads/R roads 80kmph

Rough guide, buy a sat nav with up to date speed warnings and head up eyes open.

Can you show any single example of R road with 100km/h speed limit.
    I've never seen one.
    I'm sure it's as follows:
    M - 120km/h.
    N - 100km/h
    R - 80km/h
    L - 80km/h
    Built up area - 50km/h.

THere's also areas as you mention as townlands which are 60km/h.
    Also some areas of 30km/h speed limit.

Generally it's very easy to be aware of current speed limit in Ireland as it's extremely obvious. Anyone who can't do it, shouldn't really be driving. Not because he might break the speed limit, but because his/hers perception abilities must be so limited, that driving is probably dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

CiniO wrote: »
    Generally it's very easy to be aware of current speed limit in Ireland as it's extremely obvious. Anyone who can't do it, shouldn't really be driving. Not because he might break the speed limit, but because his/hers perception abilities must be so limited, that driving is probably dangerous.

What a load of high horse rubbish to say if you don't always know the speed limit then you shouldn't be driving! There are plenty of towns where the 60k section is not as obvious as you state

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Dero wrote: »
    Some sat navs (current Garmins for sure) will display not only the current speed limit, but also play an audible warning if you go over it. Sounds annoying, but it's not really. We had one and used it all around Ireland and over to London (via Pembroke), and it really was a good way to discipline ourselves, especially in England/Wales. We could leave our car set to kph and the speed limit was also displayed in kph, e.g. 112 kph on the motorways.

It's especially handy in conjunction with cruise control/speed limiter.

However, just familiarising yourself with the speed limits in a given area and sticking to them is the easiest way to do it.

Garmin Sat navs do indeed do this, but I wouldn't entirely rely on this as their database may not be correct. But it would be good help.

I've never seen one.

You should get out more, there are some examples
    R173 https://goo.gl/maps/ngFarMaNvS62

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

You should get out more, there are some examples
    R173 https://goo.gl/maps/ngFarMaNvS62

I assume mr cino will be immediately handing back his licence as clearly not fit to drive (based on his post above)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

I assume mr cino will be immediately handing back his licence as clearly not fit to drive (based on his post above)

He lives in the wilds of Connacht, does he not? The superhighways of the Pale may be unknown to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭corks finest

nb6696 wrote: »
    I recently got caught speeding. Have the fine paid and everything, but I'm just trying to make sure it never happens again.

So basically what I wanna know is if I don't know what the speed limit is on a road ie no signs what's a good way of hazarding a safe guess, in a way which I know I'm not breaking the limit but at the same time not going too slow?

Buy a Sat nav,warnings when u are entering different speed zone

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

Get yourself a jap import 89 micra.
    I had one and it rang a little bell when I went over 80Kph.
    Jeasus I hated that bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I've never seen one.
    I'm sure it's as follows:
    M - 120km/h.
    N - 100km/h
    R - 80km/h
    L - 80km/h
    Built up area - 50km/h.

THere's also areas as you mention as townlands which are 60km/h.
    Also some areas of 30km/h speed limit.

The r420 leaving tullamore is a 100kmh limit for about 5 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Dero wrote: »

If you use Nokia Here maps on your phone you can set it to beep at you if you're going over the speed limit.

YbFocus wrote: »
    The r420 leaving tullamore is a 100kmh limit for about 5 miles.

what used to be the N8 between Mitchelstown and Cahir is 100 km/h and an R road.

There are also examples of N roads rated at 120 it should be added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

A few strategically placed Autumn leaves ?

Advertisement