Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

F**king Clampers !!

Options
  • 30-11-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all just enquiring about the following that happened to me yesterday, has this happened to any one else (I'm sure it has ) travelled up to the big smoke yesterday with the family to soak up the Christmas atmosphere , anyway we decided to park the car in the Luas car park in stillorgan get the Luas into town , went up to the ticket machine typed in my parking bay number (not easy in a force 9 gale pissing with rain on a machine with "questionable at best buttons" ) got ticket checked the expiry time (14.06) displayed ticket on dashboard went into town came back to the car @15.55 car clamped !!! WTF ! rang the clamping bastards wondering why was I clamped back in time etc. etc. got the dope on the other end of the phone "ehhh you must have but the ticket on the dash upside down" at which point I nearly exploded "oh I'll just double check then " was he's answer comes back to me with great glee to tell me I put the wrong parking bay number on my ticket and would have to pay €80 to get it removed.

Turned my stomach to pay these f*ckers but I bit my tounge and paid up If I didn't have the family (fuming wife and 2 up set kids with me) I would have battled it out

Surely when it was obvious that it was a genuine mistake the bay number I was parked in was 224 I had typed in 244 very easy to do in a force ten gale pissing with rain on a machine with buttons you virtually had to punch to get to work.
    Surely when you have paid for a ticket to park in a car park all legit you should be entitled to park there ? and when you have a ticket to prove the same it shows your intent to follow by the rules The bollocks that came to take the clamp off then accused me of trying to driving off with the clamp attached (thick f***er doesn't realise I'm a mechanic) any way he took great pleasure in telling me that "I'd paid for the wrong spot bud your mistake"
    Has any one successfully appealed NCPS for this kind of thing I still have the receipt from the machine.
    Now I'm not one for causing trouble and as I said I own a Garage selling heavy plant tractors diggers etc. I have a service van on the road and I could have gotten one of the lads up with an angle grinder but wife and family there waiting for over an hour to get up to me just wasn't really an option.
    How ever I kind of have the means to fight this case if needs be and I will contest it tooth and nail if needs be and I have yard full of large machinery that I can fill the car park with that no clamp will fit !! try putting a clamp on a track digger ye sneaky bastards Id like to think they've picked on the wrong one with me . If I hadn't paid or the time had expired I would be the first to hold my hand up and admit it but this ..... this means war !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

If the ticket expired at 14:06 and you came back to the car at 15:55 then you most definitely weren't back on time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

5W30 wrote: »
    If the ticket expired at 14:06 and you came back to the car at 15:55 then you most definitely weren't back on time...

I was thinking the same, is this a mistake op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

"The Rock Fan doth protest too much methinks"

You typed in the wrong bay number.
    You got back to the vehicle when the ticket expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Id say he meant 13:55
    He's making a habit of typing in the wrong number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

It's 2 euro for up to 4 hours or 4 euro for up to 24 hours.

Many people will throw 4 euro in the meter just to be sure.

If he went in with the family, in the rain, got washed out of it and figured they'd leave it for another day and took the LUAS back out, you'd easily be back at the park and ride in 2 hours.

A little local knowledge goes a long way.

Still won't help. Wrong parking bay equals invalid ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Maybe he got the numbers the wrong way around, bit of a theme. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

Rock fan wrote: »
    Hi all just enquiring about the following that happened to me yesterday, has this happened to any one else (I'm sure it has ) travelled up to the big smoke yesterday with the family to soak up the Christmas atmosphere , anyway we decided to park the car in the Luas car park in stillorgan get the Luas into town , went up to the ticket machine typed in my parking bay number (not easy in a force 9 gale pissing with rain on a machine with "questionable at best buttons" ) got ticket checked the expiry time (14.06) displayed ticket on dashboard went into town came back to the car @15.55 car clamped !!! WTF ! rang the clamping bastards wondering why was I clamped back in time etc. etc. got the dope on the other end of the phone "ehhh you must have but the ticket on the dash upside down" at which point I nearly exploded "oh I'll just double check then " was he's answer comes back to me with great glee to tell me I put the wrong parking bay number on my ticket and would have to pay €80 to get it removed.

Turned my stomach to pay these f*ckers but I bit my tounge and paid up If I didn't have the family (fuming wife and 2 up set kids with me) I would have battled it out

Surely when it was obvious that it was a genuine mistake the bay number I was parked in was 224 I had typed in 244 very easy to do in a force ten gale pissing with rain on a machine with buttons you virtually had to punch to get to work.
    Surely when you have paid for a ticket to park in a car park all legit you should be entitled to park there ? and when you have a ticket to prove the same it shows your intent to follow by the rules The bollocks that came to take the clamp off then accused me of trying to driving off with the clamp attached (thick f***er doesn't realise I'm a mechanic) any way he took great pleasure in telling me that "I'd paid for the wrong spot bud your mistake"
    Has any one successfully appealed NCPS for this kind of thing I still have the receipt from the machine.
    Now I'm not one for causing trouble and as I said I own a Garage selling heavy plant tractors diggers etc. I have a service van on the road and I could have gotten one of the lads up with an angle grinder but wife and family there waiting for over an hour to get up to me just wasn't really an option.
    How ever I kind of have the means to fight this case if needs be and I will contest it tooth and nail if needs be and I have yard full of large machinery that I can fill the car park with that no clamp will fit !! try putting a clamp on a track digger ye sneaky bastards Id like to think they've picked on the wrong one with me . If I hadn't paid or the time had expired I would be the first to hold my hand up and admit it but this ..... this means war !!

Assuming you were back in time and the reason you were clamped was because you entered the wrong parking bay number in, you still have no chance for any reimbursement, sorry.

Although it does seem very unfair, it's still your responsibility to ensure you input valid details. You can't rely on gale force winds and a bit of rain as mitigating circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

If you had put the correct bay number in you may well have still been clamped because of the time....**** happens and don't dwell. I hope ye had a nice time regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

travelled up to the big smoke yesterday
    got ticket checked the expiry time (14.06) displayed ticket on dashboard went into town came back to the car @15.55 car clamped !!!
    So... you paid for the wrong spot for nearly two hours short of what the ticket expired, and you somehow feel that you were wronged?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No case for a claim here unfortunately.
    Realistically, removing the clamp yourself is the only option if you don't want to pay them as the appeals process is not legit in these companies so even when someone has a valid cause for appeal, it is seldom successful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

You was 2 hours late dude. Last Xmas eve I parked in a Spar car park, took a chance to go in and get a paper. Back in literally 60 seconds and the guy had clamp almost fixed to the wheel. 100 euro mate. Oh well, I chanced it and got caught. Fair enough. Another guy comes back with a big McDonalds bag from way down the street to his clamped car and he went F-ing mental. Roaring and screaming like a lunatic he was. I thought he was being very silly. He knew the rules as well as I did.

Two hours is a long time to be out, OP. No wonder they did you

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

OP spelled it out for himself and let the rest of Boards know that he was back to the car 2 hours after expiry of yonder ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I'd say the OP meant 16.04 (or even 16.06!) otherwise he wouldn't have be on here asking the question (and if it was 14.06, and he didn't notice at the time, his missus would have and he'd be nursing a sore ear, not trying to get even with the clampers! :pac: )

But the bay number is there to stop you handing a ticket with a couple of hours still on it to someone just coming in, so IF you were to appeal it, and assuming the expiry time was 16.04, you'd have to prove that YOU didn't get it handed to you by another driver on the way out and then park in the wrong spot, or that you didn't drive out and come back again.

It's a bit stupid though, insisting that anyone stays in the same bay. If you've paid for x number of hours, you should be entitled to park for x number of hours. There are times when I've come back to a carpark and moved the car to make it easier to load something, or so as not to be boxed in at rush-hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Don't feel so bad OP. I was 12 minutes over when I was clamped earlier this year. Fcukers must have been standing over my car with a clamp waiting for the clock to rum out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I'm pretty sure the OP wouldn't waste his energy relaying that story if he was on an expired ticket. He obviously meant to write 16:06 as expiry. His issue is the parking bay discrepancy not the time. I can see why he's pissed but 'technically' on paper its an invalid ticket. Of course common sense and benefit of doubt should have placated the warden ..... but then those boys aren't in the job cause they're prone to giving benefit of doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Should have cut it off....
    No fooking way you'll have a successful appeal.

Can't understand why anyone would pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

(not easy in a force 9 gale pissing with rain on a machine with "questionable at best buttons" )

It needs to be established what the exact wind speed was.

this will be critical to the outcome of any appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Is there not some leeway at the beginning / end of 10 minutes to allow for ticket purchases etc?
    Or is it just dlr Co Co that do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭creedp

But the bay number is there to stop you handing a ticket with a couple of hours still on it to someone just coming in, so IF you were to appeal it, and assuming the expiry time was 16.04, you'd have to prove that YOU didn't get it handed to you by another driver on the way out and then park in the wrong spot, or that you didn't drive out and come back again.

Seems ridiculous as it won't stop you handing the ticket to someone occupying your space after you vacate it. I think they should insist that you give your D.O.B, your Mother's maiden name and a picture ID before they let you park in the car park just in case someone might get a few minutes free parking ... this country is gone to the dogs!

Is there not some leeway at the beginning / end of 10 minutes to allow for ticket purchases etc? Or is it just dlr Co Co that do that?

They might give you 10 minutes alright. Two hours I'm not so sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

Jesus. wrote: »
    You was 2 hours late dude. Last Xmas eve I parked in a Spar car park, took a chance to go in and get a paper. Back in literally 60 seconds and the guy had clamp almost fixed to the wheel. 100 euro mate. Oh well, I chanced it and got caught. Fair enough. Another guy comes back with a big McDonalds bag from way down the street to his clamped car and he went F-ing mental. Roaring and screaming like a lunatic he was. I thought he was being very silly. He knew the rules as well as I did.

Two hours is a long time to be out, OP. No wonder they did you

Well you knew you're going against the rules and accepted penalty, fair play to you...but on the other hand what a flipping low life sad scummy fcuker a clamper boy was to have your car clamped and penalized within 60s?! How do they not deserve a beating? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

veetwin wrote: »
    Don't feel so bad OP. I was 12 minutes over when I was clamped earlier this year. Fcukers must have been standing over my car with a clamp waiting for the clock to rum out.

Same happened me before, less than 10 minutes over, and of course clamper had gone so hard to wait near 2 hours for them to come back.

I think what really annoyed me was there was a woman who got clamped as well, she hadn't paid at all said she didn't see any of the loads of signs and she gets the same punishment :mad:

Still live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

I've come across some idiots when it comes to clamping - left my car for around five minutes in work (parked in my own space where my reg is given to the business park security specifically for all of this along with a sticker to say my car should be in a designated company spot) - remembered I left some notes I needed for a meeting out in the car, came out to someone about to clamp me - didn't bother his hole looking at the sticker saying I could park there.. Simpletons..

If you keyed in the wrong bay number there's not much you can do really, unless say the machine was faulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,718 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Clampers are the scum of the earth

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

There is a story on todays independent website about a lad cutting off a clamp with an angle grinder. They even have photos of his face. Looks like the lad deserved the clamp going by where he parked was not a space and was half blocking the road. I have no sympathy for him but I do have sympathy for the OP if he was back on time. Its pure extorsion paying to get clamp removed just because he got one digit wrong. (I'm assuming he was back on time) I'd have no problem cutting off clamp if it happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

OP on the rampage?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/in-pictures-remarkable-moment-a-man-cuts-clamp-off-illegally-parked-car-outside-courthouse-34252299.html
    The man, who was not the driver of the car, then had to wait for the driver before they left the scene.

A witness told the Herald that the man was able to remove the clamp in only a few minutes, but had taken some time to decide on his course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I'd have sympathy with the OP - at the end of the day he paid the correct fee for parking. He essentially fulfilled his side of the contract (assuming a typo in the times) and yet was penalised. He might have a reasonable chance of success in something the small claims court. However, would all the legal hassle be worth it.

The only real way for the public to be rid of these sort of ridiculous conditions is to hit these companies in their pockets - organise a picket, a boycott, don't park there etc. They'll soon change their tune fairly quickly then..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

veetwin wrote: »

This nearly happened me in college few years ago, put enough money in machine until 3.05pm as i was finished at 3pm however class went a bit longer than it should have and was out to my car at 3.15pm. There was a notice on my window that i have 10 min to get a ticket or move, i then glanced down the car park and see the clampers sitting in the van watching me. So id say if i was 1 or 2 min later id b clamped.

pcardin wrote: »
    Well you knew you're going against the rules and accepted penalty, fair play to you...but on the other hand what a flipping low life sad scummy fcuker a clamper boy was to have your car clamped and penalized within 60s?! How do they not deserve a beating? :(

'Tis true. When its a private company and they're literally hiding behind a wall ready to pounce and with a 100 quid fine, its not really the same as a Council van on patrol and finding someone parked illegally and no sign of them.

Still, when you're caught you're caught!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I think it's very harsh. While technically the OP made the mistake inputting wrong bay number (by one digit which is easy mistake to make when rushing, with kids shouting and bad weather etc), he has clearly paid for parking properly. Says a lot about the clampers or clamping company if they are looking for a fine detail to clamp someone and earn a few euro, then wonder why some people aren't so nice to them. Id call the company and explain, or even better put it in email and see what their reply is, if nothing else, just to see what they say.

Advertisement