Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing the oil in an inboard engine

Options
  • 14-06-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

hello all ......
    As you Guys know i got a new boat and it has an inboard engine which is very compact in the engine compartment my question what is the best way to change the oil ...

cheers and thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The oil extraction pumps are great and very clean you just pass the tube down the dipstick hole and suck it out, it's best to warm up the engine a bit first.
    meb2Zz7Ia1-x9VTqbJapLKw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster

cheers fergal ...
    where can i get one of them and do you know how much they are about ...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Any good motor factors will have them marineparts direct also sell them I think I paid around €80 for a good big one. You can also get an electric pump Lidl had this one a few weeks ago.

qCNXyWx.png

great fergal cheers man i have been looking on fleabay at them i will have to get one god knows when the oil was last changed in the boat .. i will check my local motor factors as i need one like yesterday .

thanks again .

• Registered Users Posts: 36 gaffer falls

You need to change the oil filter too

• Advertisement

yes i do know that ....... thats the easy bit ..... getting the old oil out of the engine is the hard bit .....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Our inboard has a wee jockey pump built in.. Nothing like that on yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bpmdj

Got one of these from MPC last year
    sea6.jpg?t=1429689565

but it only lasted 1 season. The valve seal had gone when I took it out to change the oil this year on mine, so need a new one.

thanks for all the reply,s
    But due to unforeseen circumstances i am forced to sell the boat . boat can be viewed on donedeal under the title of Darragh 24 foot cabin cruiser price and information in add ....

once again thanks for all the information regarding this matter ..

Sorry to hear that :( Best of luck with the sale.

• Advertisement

cheers fergal .
    and thanks for all your help ....

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

I wouldn't use the oil extractor they donnt get all the oil and dirt out that May lie in the sump.the only way is to drop the sump plug.I know it's awkward but it is the correct way my inboard in trapper 300 is a nightmare.
    For the filter get a genuine only.

just an update .....
    all in all in the end i did not have to sell this boat and still own it ... but in my heart of hearts before i bought this boat i was looking for a hardy pilot 20 they are my dream boat but i could not get one for my budget so i bought this boat . but in the mean time my eye was always looking out for a nice hardy pilot 20 which i have now found and bought which i do have another thread about . so the darragh that i bought and own is for sale which i will be advertising shortly as i have new curtains and fenders for which i am fitting as we speak . so if anyone is interested in this boat i am prepared to sell it at the price i bought it for including all the things i have done to it .

Advertisement