Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worlds best beer......Westvleteren XII

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's good, but it's not worth the usual asking price, IMO. I did a blind tasting with it a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

£40 for 8 bottles its setting me back.

hope it lives up to the hype.!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I'd pay that!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

You've just reminded methat I was going to do a taste off between it and St.Bernardus Abt 12!

A project for this weekend maybe...

• Advertisement

Hachiko wrote: »
    It was about €7 a bottle last time I bought it, in Brussels, so that's pretty good. £40 would buy you a lot of St Bernardus Abt 12, though.

thats belgium, outside there its mad expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭laros

a taste off between it and St.Bernardus Abt 12

I preferred St Bernadus Abt 12 to be honest.... I first had the Westvleteren XII in brussels in Au Bon Vieux Temps an it cost me €10 a bottle and while it was nice, it was more the "ceremony" of the way the bar staff poured it and the barmaid gave me the bottle cap afterwards...:) It's a lovely beer and I got a brick of it when it was released and some bottles were opened to mark my grandsons birth, when my son tried it he just wasnt impressed with it and couldnt understand the fuss about it ... I've done a taste test between it and St Bernadus and as regards Bang for your Buck...... I Would go with St Bernadus

the rarity of this is a big thing, I am going to get 12 bottles now. If the seller has any left. He bought 2 crates from the monastery.

here we have them, better wrap them up in cotton wool

20150610_182806.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's a top beer but I doubt it'd be in the top 10 if it was readily available.

Will have a XII over the weekend, but for now I got this

no idea what the hell it is

20150610_200901.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've had a bottle the past 2 Christmas dinners but I've not been blown away by it. I might keep the other 4 and trade them in a few years for something a bit more exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hachiko wrote: »

hope it lives up to the hype.!

Where to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

I thought it was (very) nice, but the 'best in the world' tag is due to exclusivity rather than pure taste /quality.

Nogne IPA is one of the best I've tasted.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

twerg_85 wrote: »
    I thought it was (very) nice, but the 'best in the world' tag is due to exclusivity rather than pure taste /quality..

In parts of the beer world, the hard to find the beer is , the better it is. Unfortunately

oblivious wrote: »
    In parts of the beer world, the hard to find the beer is , the better it is. Unfortunately

You could say the same for the wine world too.

There's a tipping point where a beer/wine can't really taste any nicer and it's after that point that the exclusivity becomes the defining factor in cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Going to Brussels in a few weeks, do most decent bars have it for sale?

No, it's fairly rare in pubs since it's not available wholesale. De BierTempel off licence on Rue du Marché aux Herbes always seems to have it in stock when I look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You could say the same for the wine world too.

Probably a lot worse

A least with beer you can pick up a something like rochefort 10 in a lot of good off licence for around 6-ish euro. The wine equivalent you going to pay a hell of alot more

• Advertisement

oblivious wrote: »
    Probably a lot worse

A least with beer you can pick up a something like rochefort 10 in a lot of good off licence for around 6-ish euro. The wine equivalent you going to pay a hell of alot more

Yeah I was only saying that over the weekend. You could try a World Top 10 beer without having to remortgage your house. You couldn't say the same for a top 10 wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've a few bottles aging in my basement, 2 years down. Will give them at least 1 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭laros

The place in the tripadvisor link below is where I tried it, Tho I notice in the link comments they seem to have increased the price to €12 a bottle :(

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g188644-d2704030-Reviews-Au_Bon_Vieux_Temps-Brussels.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

jester77 wrote: »
    I've a few bottles aging in my basement, 2 years down. Will give them at least 1 more.

yeah, I've a bottle aging about 3 years now too. Was going to open it when my son was born, then when he was 1.

I shared a bottle with my brother on his wedding day 3 years ago, and he gave me the bottle I have now from his brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Note that you are going against the wishes of the monks if you buy it from a bar or shop that is reselling it without the agreement of the brewery.

Only one cafe sells it with the agreement of the monks, and that's across the road from the brewery.

http://sintsixtus.be/

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

I had the chance to drink a 2 year old bottle given as a birthday gift. Its a lovely balanced beer with beautiful distinct flavours. Its not a beer you could define by a single taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Is there anywhere around Dublin selling this? I checked on the McHuges website and they have it listed but can't seem to buy it. Definitely remember seeing it somewhere before buy can't remember, possibly Sweeney's.

It's not normally commercially available outside the brewery. The brewery did a commercial release of six-pack "bricks" a few years ago, and the Irish distributor secured a big supply, but I doubt there's much of that left. We're back to the grey market being the only way to get hold of it, and nowhere in Ireland deals in grey market beer, that I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

sounds like an opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Anyone care to pop up a link or pm where I might be able to buy some bottles. Searched but only got sites with stupid prices. The 40 pound for 8 bottles mentioned earlier in this post sounds doable.

Advertisement