Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Dublin Porter & West Indies Porter - anyone tried them?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

What I mean is, when you talk to the guys at the 'Well they tend to spin it that they've taken all of Molson Coors's money and are using it to make fun and interesting experimental craft beer which wouldn't have been possible before. Which is pretty much true, but it hides that they've essentially lost control of the core brands: what they are, where they're made and where they're sold. They are entirely beholden to Mama Molson where that's concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I was entirely resistant to these two products at the €3.30 - €3.40 supermarket price point, as there are many superior beers I can buy for substantially less than that. But last Saturday Dunnes had DP and WIP marked down to €2.49 so I thought I might as well give WIP a go (paying more than macrobeer prices for a weak product ruled out DP.)

At that strength level I was hoping for something with a similar flavour to FES - which I do like, but rarely buy due to the excessive cost. But no such luck. It tastes a bit like a much watered down Leann Follain without the whiskey notes. Disappointing. A 6% beer should have way more body than this, especially if they want to sell at a premium price.

BeerNut was right, Diageo's best product is still GES 'off the shelf' but given that it's only discounted at Christmas, O'Hara's stout is a much better beer at a similar price.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Spotted this in Tesco yesterday. Only comes in a 6-pack so I wasn't arsed buying it.

8_Rev_DZEDQMVj_d_U9_Nh_Z56_WNF9ol_Si_Vy_XXc_Tbc_U4_YXVI.jpg

Surprisingly, they admit on the back of the bottle that this is the version of Guinness you would have been drinking in the pub up until the 70s until they changed the recipe.

Is that just a new label for Guinness Extra Stout?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Would help if I had read the front of the label properly. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

irish_goat wrote: »
    Would help if I had read the front of the label properly. :o

You were dazzled by all that Carlsberg :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The West Indies isn't that bad. Much nicer than the Dublin Porter at least. Not really worth the price though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭donaghs

anncoates wrote: »
    The West Indies isn't that bad. Much nicer than the Dublin Porter at least. Not really worth the price though

If you can get 3 for €7 in Tesco its not too bad a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I got 5 for a tenner in my local Spar. Think it was a pricing error as they are usually €2.50 each. I quite like it. Nice for a change of speed!

Trond wrote: »
    Ias they are usually €2.50 each.

Even that's cheap enough as IIRC, I've generally seen it at over 3 quid unless it's on offer.

Like I said, for a go-to porter in your local offie, it's nice enough at 6%, especially compared to the likes of Dublin porter even though I'd usually plump for Leann Follain in that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭laros

Aldi will have both porters available next Thurs (11th june), priced at €2.29 a bottle. it seems to be a special buy rather than a regular stock item. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,400 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The West Indies is decent but unspectacular. I think what the creation and distribution of these beers mean for the industry is far more interesting than the beers themselves.

I can see them both being discontinued fairly sharpish and dumping stock in Aldi is an indication of that.

Scrap the cap!

dregin wrote: »
    Ah now, Guinness Foreign Extract is pretty great. Far better than The West Indies porter, in my opinion.

Had a bottle earlier. It's actually pretty good. Didn't realize it was 7.5% either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Had a bottle earlier. It's actually pretty good. Didn't realize it was 7.5% either.

Very underrated imo. The export version you get in Belgium is even better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Picked up a few in Dunnes earlier, €2.55 a bottle. Wont be hitting them tonight though!!

Advertisement