Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M9 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

L2007 is twisty enough but is two full lanes, decent surface, lined and studded all the way - thank you, Ryder Cup! There are a number of overtaking points once you're used to the road and low traffic except at rush hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Anyone remember this post from back around the start of the year? I was absolutely gobsmacked reading that someone was doing this commute!
    kieranb07 wrote:
    I currently commute from sallins to west side of waterford city,
    I exit at Junction 10 Naas south,
    I do 3 different shifts 8, 10 AND 11:30

8 -> 1.5hrs [I leave at 6am in work for 7:30 (if i leave at 6:15 im not in till 8:30ish)]

10-> 2hrs I leave at 8

11:30 1.5hrs I leave at 10

once the kilkullen - carlow bit is open it will reduce it by 15min
    once the knocktopher section is open it will be another 10min (15-25min between 7:30 and 9 with all the trucks and tractors)

kieranb07, how are you finding things these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kieranb07

fricatus wrote: »
    Anyone remember this post from back around the start of the year? I was absolutely gobsmacked reading that someone was doing this commute!

kieranb07, how are you finding things these days?

Not to bad to tell you the thruth... its down to about 1 - 1.10 now and 1.20-30 at peak time, and im nearly garunteed to get home alive everyday....
    All in all from before the kilkullen -carlow section opening to after full completion, I am saving about 2 hours a day which means it have given me back 20 days a year of my life!!!
    Not to mention the fact im a gazillion times safer on the Mway, than on the previous peice of *Keeping it civalised* road, and also amount of money im saving on diesel and tyres... biggrin.gif

Also, just had to drive from J14 on the M1 (Ardee) to waterford monday morning.....
    It took about 2hrs and 5min so that means about 2hrs and 20 from waterford to the border.... never though id see the day
    smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

Hi,
    how to get to M9 from New Ross?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jakeal

Howdy all,

I have to travel from Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow to Cork this Friday.

Bearing in mind that it's the Bank Holiday, and the Jazz festival in Cork, what would be the best route?

I used to always do such treks by going across the Wicklow gap, on to Kilcullen and joining the M7 to head straight to Cork.

With the new M9, am I better of going...
    1. Across the gap, joining the M9 at Kilcullen and going Waterford -> Cork or maybe
    2. Across country to Carlow, joining the M9 and going Waterford -> Cork
    3. Sticking to the M7 as I used to
    ???

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

4motion wrote: »
    Hi,
    how to get to M9 from New Ross?
    Thanks

Take the R704 west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭NedNew2

Take the R704 west.

... to get from the M9 to New Ross.

Correct, its exit 11, signposted for New Ross and Mullinivat. It takes about 15 minutes and can be narrow but its quite scenic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

NedNew2 wrote: »
    ... to get from the M9 to New Ross.

Correct, its exit 11, signposted for New Ross and Mullinivat. It takes about 15 minutes and can be narrow but its quite scenic.

Can you tell me all M9 from Waterford to Dublin (M7) is finished?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's all open now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

ForestFire wrote: »
    Should I also report everytime I see someone Jay walking in Dublin:confused:. Its against the law and can be quite dangerous too. I noticed a few times at busy pedestian crossings people go before green man, when there is a break in traffic, and others just follow not knowing its red and more cars are coming.

If something happens often enough I should not have to report it, the cops should be fully aware of it

Actually there are no jay-walking laws in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Actually there are no jay-walking laws in Ireland.

Kind of missed the point I was making:rolleyes:

Substitute Jay-walking with littering or speeding or using mobile phone while driving to make the exact same point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Drove on it saturday, from my house near Kilmac to Kilcullen it took me 1 hour 15, wat i noticed on the Carlow section its not as smooth as the other parts, i guess it from been opened first but you wouldnt really mind that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I noticed in the Google Maps update that they have got a lot of things wrong. A lot of new Motorways are shown but are listed as an N road. A bad mistake I noticed is where the M9 ends at Waterford. Firstly it's not listed as motorway and also there is a roundabout that just doesn't exist. See below. Hopefully this is only one of a number of updates to come soon to fix issues like this.

Copy the following into Google Maps 52.300409,-7.146864

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I noticed in the Google Maps update that they have got a lot of things wrong. A lot of new Motorways are shown but are listed as an N road. A bad mistake I noticed is where the M9 ends at Waterford. Firstly it's not listed as motorway and also there is a roundabout that just doesn't exist. See below. Hopefully this is only one of a number of updates to come soon to fix issues like this.

Copy the following into Google Maps 52.300409,-7.146864

You can report any mapping errors here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

In the case of the M9, google have mapped it but have classified it as it was at the end of the 1st Tranche of motorway redesignations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Looks like the groundwork is being done for emergency phones on the Waterford to Knocktopher stretch. Saw a few finished bases today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

What are driving conditions like on the M9? Have to do Dublin-Waterford-Dublin tomorrow or Friday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What are driving conditions like on the M9? Have to do Dublin-Waterford-Dublin tomorrow or Friday.

Not the best, but take it easy and you should be okay. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Does any one know if there is an email address to report damage on the M9.
    The hundred metre marker signs at the exit for N80 Carlow junction northbound have been spun 180 degrees,making them invisible.
    Been like that for nearly a month now,propably by someone having a bit of fun.
    I use these to reduce my speed for exiting and would like them back please:mad:

Carlow County Council's roads department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bards

anyone else notice the new signage at the start of the Motorway near Grannagh about on on-line services and states off-line services at xx KM's etc.

why could they just not say Services off-line at Junctions 11, 6 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Was thinking the same Bards, the kilometers mean nothing when you have only a few seconds to see them.

Other points...anyone else think the random spacing and positioning of the catseyes north of Knocktopher are poor workmanship?

Also, is there a motorway maintenance crew, there's so much debris and lots of blownout tyres along the edge of the carriageway. Yesterday I saw some teenage girls running up an embankment with some warning signs they'd taken off the motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

wellbutty wrote: »

Other points...anyone else think the random spacing and positioning of the catseyes north of Knocktopher are poor workmanship?
    The catseyes where fine before the cold spell. It was when the snow ploughs came in, they dug loads of them up. I drove on the M9 a couple times during the cold snap and I could see catseyes scattered around the middle of the road. It was a bit distracting at night seeing a couple yellow reflectors to your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Bards wrote: »
    anyone else notice the new signage at the start of the Motorway near Grannagh about on on-line services and states off-line services at xx KM's etc.

why could they just not say Services off-line at Junctions 11, 6 etc.

I had suggested this as well with regard to other routes as it would make it easier to judge exactly where services are. However someone pointed out if they stated a junction number it could be considered as advertising for specific service stations and indicating "approval" of those stations. There also could be legal implications in doing that as owners of stations close to other junctions could feel discriminated against.

By keeping it somewhat vague there's no exact correlation as to what stations they are suggesting. However it does make the signs almost worthless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whos responsible for cleaning the parking areas? Arrived at one yesterday on the M9 full of rubbish including a dumped TV.

Local council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Email them. North Tipp Co Co have been helpful when it comes to my whinging about the state of the M8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Has there been any development on service areas on the M9. Disaster that you have to go so far out of your way to get to a service station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

toe_knee wrote: »
    Has there been any development on service areas on the M9. Disaster that you have to go so far out of your way to get to a service station

Doubt that they will get any anytime soon. M6 and M8/M7 will be next if any to get some of these

Traffic counts on M9 wouldnt make it so attractive to have one at any decent halfway point. if they do ever get one, it will be as much if not more pointless than the Enfield one which is far too close to Dublin IMO

Email them. North Tipp Co Co have been helpful when it comes to my whinging about the state of the M8.

Yeah must, I think its Kilkenny Co. Co. Shame there are no bins in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭NedNew2

There was a picnic area on the N25 between New Ross and Waterford where the council provided bins. Within days of emptying them they were full again and the birds spent no time in pulling the rubbish out and making it an eye sore, not to mention those people who dumped rubbish there.

The solution (which worked perfectly) was to remove the bins altogether and signs were erected informing people to take their rubbish home and that any littering would result in a fine.

I would worry that any bins provided in these parking areas on the motorways would only result in similar behaviour.

NedNew2 wrote: »
    There was a picnic area on the N25 between New Ross and Waterford where the council provided bins. Within days of emptying them they were full again and the birds spent no time in pulling the rubbish out and making it an eye sore, not to mention those people who dumped rubbish there.

The solution (which worked perfectly) was to remove the bins altogether and signs were erected informing people to take their rubbish home and that any littering would result in a fine.

I would worry that any bins provided in these parking areas on the motorways would only result in similar behaviour.

Fair point but how do you fine people? Who knows who did it etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Sully wrote: »
    Fair point but how do you fine people? Who knows who did it etc.

Cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Yeah must, I think its Kilkenny Co. Co. Shame there are no bins in place.

When I asked the NRA about this, they said there are no bins because people aren't supposed to leave their vehicles at these motorway parking areas. There is supposed to be signage being erected to this effect, but the implementation seems a bit patchy on the M9.

/csd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Whos responsible for cleaning the parking areas? Arrived at one yesterday on the M9 full of rubbish including a dumped TV.

Why do people dump tv's and other electronic stuff. It's free to get rid of the at a proper recycle centre.

Disrespect of the environment is sad. The fact that the drove down a motorway to dump a tv, then they had to then drive to the next exit, double back and pass the place where the dumped it. probably took them nearly an hour to dump a tv....... i dunno, some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

RTE are reporting a pedestrian killed on the "N9" "outside Castledermot": http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0112/rta.html

Do they mean the old N9 or the M9?

Old N9 it seems, as I was passing Castledermot on the M9 when I heard the "road is closed" message on the radio.

Mentioning that trip down the M9 today - I counted how many cars I overtook southbound. 10 in 25km. Cullen really did get this road over-prioritised...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bards

MYOB wrote: »
    Old N9 it seems, as I was passing Castledermot on the M9 when I heard the "road is closed" message on the radio.

Mentioning that trip down the M9 today - I counted how many cars I overtook southbound. 10 in 25km. Cullen really did get this road over-prioritised...

if all cars are travelling at close to the speed limit and nothing to slow cars down then it is really hard to catch up with other cars and hence pass

How many cars did you pass in the North Bound lane comming against you?

When I'm on the M8 from Cahir to Mitchelstown a distance far greater than 25 Km's I would normally pass around the same amount of cars/trucks as I travel at 120 Km/h . So are we to conclude that the M8 is also over-prioritised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

if all cars are travelling at close to the speed limit and nothing to slow cars down then it is really hard to catch up with other cars and hence pass

When I'm on the M8 from Cahir to Mitchelstown a distance far greater than 25 Km's I would normally pass around the same amount of cars/trucks as I travel at 120 Km/h . So are we to conclude that the M8 is also over-prioritised?

M8 fine...

M9 no - id like this guy to count the cars in opposite lane next go just for the record. Complete waste of money - Waterford is barely a city (even combined with Kilkennys population isnt that big)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

M8 fine...

M9 no - id like this guy to count the cars in opposite lane next go just for the record. Complete waste of money - Waterford is barely a city (even combined with Kilkennys population isnt that big)

I understand this point of view but think of the future for once, this will bring development to the region, where unemployment is above the national average, the old infrastructure was among the worst national primary in the country. Kilkenny and Waterford will reap the benefits of this road when the good times come again, which is good for everyone!

I'd like to make it clear that I was travelling nowhere close to the speed limit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Could they not have built the service areas when the M9 was been built? Was driving from Waterford to Kildare last friday evening, such a pain having to pull into a village or town to find a toilet :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

I live close to the old N10 Paulstown-Kilkenny road and lately I've noticed traffic volumes increasing after a drop-off between September (when the local stretch of the M9 opened) and December. There now seem to be a lot of cars and HGVs using the old route between Carlow and Kilkenny, and while it is not yet up to pre M9 levels, I would guess it's at least 50-60% of what it was before the motorway opened. Anyone got any ideas as to why this should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭alentejo

I live close to the old N10 Paulstown-Kilkenny road and lately I've noticed traffic volumes increasing after a drop-off between September (when the local stretch of the M9 opened) and December. There now seem to be a lot of cars and HGVs using the old route between Carlow and Kilkenny, and while it is not yet up to pre M9 levels, I would guess it's at least 50-60% of what it was before the motorway opened. Anyone got any ideas as to why this should be?

I suspect that local traffic going between Kilkenny and Carlow finds it is easier and nearly as quick to use the old road. The new N10 spur outside Kilkenny adds a little distance to ones journey. Also, if going to KK city, the old road seems quicker to get to the centre or south side of the city.

The old road is also less boreing. I get so bored going on some of the new m-way network and going the old route is in many cases nearly as quick for going short distances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The old road hasn'y dropped to 80 kmh either nor should it as it's a good wide two lane so that does negate the motorway advantage somewhat. Some people just don't like driving on motorway. I don't find a massive time difference between the new road and what it used to be between KK and Carlow town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Took my first drive on the entire M9 today (Saturday 26th). From my door in Naas, Co. Kildare to the Tower Hotel in Waterford City - 1 hr 16 mins. Never went over 120kph and most of the time sat on 100/110kph. Departed at 10am.

The return journey departing at 22.43 took 1 hr 06 mins. Stayed on 120kph most of the time and often drifted to 130kph.

Incredible stuff. The same journey along the old N9 frequently took 1 hr 45 mins minimum and longer if you got caught behind a very slow vehicle.

The train will never even come close to competing. I now officially love this motorway.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

I truly love this motorway, like to have motorway all the way from waterford to the border is truly a fantastic and this along with the M6, M7, M8, M18(slowly coming along), is probably the one of a handful of things the fianna failers did right during there time in power. however i do agree though, i have done it myself, pulled off 1/2-3/4's the way down from dublin using the old N9, jus to use me brakes or turn the wheel more than 40 degrees, just to have some excitement, even though I can 'cough' only do 50mph on the old rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

It looks like a lot of additional planting was carried out on the southern half of the M9 over the pas winter. Thousands of saplings are coming into leaf along the verges and embankments of both carriageways. Also, phone foundations have been installed along the route.

Tremelo wrote: »
    It looks like a lot of additional planting was carried out on the southern half of the M9 over the pas winter. Thousands of saplings are coming into leaf along the verges and embankments of both carriageways. Also, phone foundations have been installed along the route.

Think those phone foundations have always been there, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

One of the phones was wiped out a few weeks ago in an accident between a lorry and a car. Just south of the Kilcullen junction on the southbound side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement