Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I was at a meeting there last week and I taught I seen what was a forecourt under construction . It's Really hidden away you would never see it from the motorway like the way you can see some off line services.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

roadmaster wrote: »
    I was at a meeting there last week and I taught I seen what was a forecourt under construction . It's Really hidden away you would never see it from the motorway like the way you can see some off line services.
    yep, planning was granted in 2010, and permission extended in 2014, for a fairly large petrol station but with very few parking spaces.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/sa901578/0

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

yep, planning was granted in 2010, and permission extended in 2014, for a fairly large petrol station but with very few parking spaces.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/sa901578/0
    This sounds like a fairly small setup.

Given the existing online services and the services at Balbriggan South, is there really demand here?

Of course there may be demand from toll dodgers who would be exiting the M1 anyway.

marno21 wrote: »
    This sounds like a fairly small setup.

Given the existing online services and the services at Balbriggan South, is there really demand here?

Of course there may be demand from toll dodgers who would be exiting the M1 anyway.

You would be surprised by the demand. People might see the applegreen as to busy and pop in to the one at city north. I also see Applegreen are building one at the bottom of the N51 dual carriageway in navan at the retail park . I Spoke to lad working there and he said it was a motorway service area. Even as an unofficial stop I think it's a bit far in for m3 traffic. I am surprised no one has attempted to build a stop where the N52 meets the M3/N3 as they would clean up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Patww79 wrote: »
    The one they stuck at Clonee/Mulhuddart is a money printing machine.

Imagine how much money it would print if you could access it from the westbound carriageway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭prunudo

The one they stuck at Clonee/Mulhuddart is a money printing machine.

Is this the one where they removed the truck spaces in favour of car spaces as the trucks who were parked up taking their mandatory rest breaks, as stipulated by RSA and EU weren't spending enough money in their shop.
    Should be a planning condition that service stations must retain space so the trucks can take their breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yeah and now the trucks park on the surrounding roads blocking up half the place. They have plenty of room there to allow the trucks in too.

I rarely go near it only for they take my fuel card at the pump.

It's not their fault, they have to take their breaks. The authorities should be providing better parking if they want rules to be compiled with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/01/29/permission-granted-new-petrol-station-portlaoise/

Applegreen to be built beside Maldron and the foodcourt at Midway on the M7

• Advertisement

That's a brilliant decision for all people involved.

For motorists access to fuel, for the existing owners more incentive for motorists and for Applegreen a new location. God I love joined up thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,231 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I also saw Topaz are recruiting for the Fermoy services!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Nice one. The restaurants were handy there but a shop would be really handy.

There is a shop inside the food court at Midway. Must be there a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Where you'd get fags and all? Never noticed, though it's probably been longer than I think since I've been in.

Not sure if they sell fags but they sell everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/news/304579/supermac-s-boss-lodges-plans-for-obama-styled-motorway-services-plaza-in-laois.html

Another MSS, this time for Junction 17 on M7 near Portlaoise. I'd wonder how necessary this is with Monasterevin, Midway and Obama Plaza all less than hour from each other and now this?

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/news/304579/supermac-s-boss-lodges-plans-for-obama-styled-motorway-services-plaza-in-laois.html

Another MSS, this time for Junction 17 on M7 near Portlaoise. I'd wonder how necessary this is with Monasterevin, Midway and Obama Plaza all less than hour from each other and now this?

This is a bizarre one. It's across the road from Midway which is now getting, or already has fuel facilities.

He already has very successful outlets on the M7 further down (no M8 traffic), M6, N20, N24 and N17/N5. If anything I'd have expected one on the M8

The Obama Plaza is already jam packed so maybe he thinks there is room for another on the M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,231 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The Fermoy one is opening on Thursday under the new Topaz name Circle K. However I don't believe the Mcdonalds is opening yet.

The Fermoy one is opening on Thursday under the new Topaz name Circle K. However I don't believe the Mcdonalds is opening yet.
    Will be a dent in the revenue of the excellent service area already at Junction 14.

I was wondering alright what all the construction work and new roundabout near Moorepark were until I see the Circle K sign.

• Advertisement

This is a bizarre one. It's across the road from Midway which is now getting, or already has fuel facilities.

He already has very successful outlets on the M7 further down (no M8 traffic), M6, N20, N24 and N17/N5. If anything I'd have expected one on the M8

The Obama Plaza is already jam packed so maybe he thinks there is room for another on the M7.

i am surprised they haven't opened anywhere between N4 and N2 corridor there is a killing to be made on them routes especially the N3 as you have no where from outside Virginia to Mulhuddart

roadmaster wrote: »
    i am surprised they haven't opened anywhere between N4 and N2 corridor there is a killing to be made on them routes especially the N3 as you have no where from outside Virginia to Mulhuddart

There's an online service area opening at Dunshaughlin in the next 2 years so a station around there likely wouldn't get planning permission. Pat McDonagh applied for one near Ennis and was refused due to the forthcoming Newmarket service area

Pat McDonagh if you are reading this i have three good locations for you to build new services

N4/N52 somewhere between Lakepoint and the Park hotel in Mullingar

N3 whitegate on the Meath/Cavan border at the end of the Type 2 Dual carriageway

N2/N33/N52 outside ardee

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If Circle K have any sense they would look to rebuild the Hammills services on the N4 to their original scale now there is more traffic.

There was a large facilities building with a sit down restaurant there with an underpass for dual sided access. Never found out why it was replaced with a small Esso

There is a substantial services going to be built just of the N52 on the old Cavan road beside Aldi in kells. Construction will start later this year

Here is the planning application

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/KA171335/0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

L1011 wrote: »
    If Circle K have any sense they would look to rebuild the Hammills services on the N4 to their original scale now there is more traffic.

There was a large facilities building with a sit down restaurant there with an underpass for dual sided access. Never found out why it was replaced with a small Esso
    I have some personal knowledge of Hamills:)

The tunnel under the road to join both sides never actually had planning permission and stopped being used within a few years of opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tubbs26

Does anyone know the latest situation with this? Or is it dead in the water now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

cml387 wrote: »

The tunnel under the road to join both sides never actually had planning permission and stopped being used within a few years of opening.

Where is it on streetview and is it accessible in any way to pedestrians? Would be cool to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Where is it on streetview and is it accessible in any way to pedestrians? Would be cool to see it.

https://goo.gl/maps/FqNX5Py35tw

You can see the white fencing marking the route.

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »

Unofficialy Legend has it there was discussions before it went in with the contractor who said we are gone on holidays and then after one long magic weekend in mullingar it appeared and when walls came back from there holidays a underpass was in place and covered over.

Advertisement