Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ongarboy wrote: »
    How is it more scandalous if an offline facility that does not drain the taxpayer and is as equally accessible to motorists and offers comparable services is built first on the same route? Coynes Cross (M11), Galway Plaza (M6) and Paulstown and now Carlow (M9) as well as Birdhill and Obama Plaza on M7 are all "offline" but are just as accessible and offer pretty much the same facilities that Lusk, Enfield and Castlebellingham onlines do. I think people are being pedantic if they think online is somehow better than some of these fantastic offline facilities being built (Birdhill is my personal favourite for my regular trips between Kerry and Dublin as it never feels too crowded and has everything you need).

I agree that the Cashel offering on the M8 is too offline and offers an inferior service (too little parking and not as accessible)

Agree never understood the need for public meddling in the provision of this infrastructure. Services on/at the existing is perfectly fine in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

ongarboy wrote: »
    How is it more scandalous if an offline facility that does not drain the taxpayer and is as equally accessible to motorists and offers comparable services is built first on the same route? Coynes Cross (M11), Galway Plaza (M6) and Paulstown and now Carlow (M9) as well as Birdhill and Obama Plaza on M7 are all "offline" but are just as accessible and offer pretty much the same facilities that Lusk, Enfield and Castlebellingham onlines do. I think people are being pedantic if they think online is somehow better than some of these fantastic offline facilities being built (Birdhill is my personal favourite for my regular trips between Kerry and Dublin as it never feels too crowded and has everything you need).

I agree that the Cashel offering on the M8 is too offline and offers an inferior service (too little parking and not as accessible)
    My issue is that there was money spent construction of all 3 and they are currently lying there collecting weeds. I have no issue with the offline services, in fact I use them often enough, my issue is that they are still not open considering the money spent on them already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

marno21 wrote: »
    My issue is that there was money spent construction of all 3 and they are currently lying there collecting weeds. I have no issue with the offline services, in fact I use them often enough, my issue is that they are still not open considering the money spent on them already.
    Just a correction there, only one shop, not even the forecourt, out of the 3 NRA/TII MSA's was constructed.
    Accommodation bridges over the motorway for all three have been constructed and that's where the waste of money to date is.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

cml387 wrote: »
    The Fermoy one will be open by the autumn?

I remain to be convinced, bearing in mind that not a sod has been turned yet.
    I occasionally use this junction, services there would be handy even just tu use a loo ;)
    Where exactly will it be located? Next to Teagasc?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Patww79 wrote: »

Amber is now something of a fixture in Fermoy, and is well known to the myriad lorry drivers who use it (and have a specially designed parking area for themselves).

If Topaz/McDonalds want to go up against them then they'll need deep pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

cml387 wrote: »
    Amber is now something of a fixture in Fermoy, and is well known to the myriad lorry drivers who use it (and have a specially designed parking area for themselves).

If Topaz/McDonalds want to go up against them then they'll need deep pockets.

Don't underestimate the appeal of McD's...especially for any car that has kids in it (or a lot of adults for that matter).....!! It will also be the only McDonalds in a 50km radius so a lot of locals will use it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

New services at J5 M9 in Carlow opens today- Topaz/McDonalds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

road_high wrote: »
    New services at J5 M9 in Carlow opens today- Topaz/McDonalds.

They were erecting a large brown "Services" sign just in advance of it (Junction 5) Northbound today around lunchtime. Motorway down to one active lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭jd

Travelling from Citywest to Wexford today. I might go that way to check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭jd

Patww79 wrote:

Was there a bit earlier so wasn't full. They need to look at the signage, pretty nonexistant

Was that not just a lot of novelty/curiosity seeker traffic (e.g. like yourself) that possibly inflated the volumes for the first few days as it is brand new? I imagine it will taper off to a regular pattern after the initial novelty wears off. That's the reason I never visit a major draw store, restaurant, attraction etc in the early days to avoid such crowds and any teething issues.

Related article provides a picture of what the Carlow MSS looks like.

http://kclr96fm.com/brand-new-service-area-m9-opens-carlow-today/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

was at the new service area today.
    The food services were very busy and a shortage of seats was noticeable, with a huge amount of parents standing while their childers were sitting down eating.

They have a special on the car wash, which is half price until sometime next week.
    the premium car wash is 12 so it was 6 euro today.
    the whole process took 9 minutes for the car wash.

sign-age is pretty good, but you still have the odd few who cant read and try to use the car wash lane to exit the area.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Oral hearing on "controversial" M6 service station pushed back to Autumn.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/oral-hearing-controversial-planned-m6-service-station-pushed-back-autumn/

Concern expressed over motorway service area

http://www.clare.fm/news/concern-expressed-site-motorway-service-area/

No surprise there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

marno21 wrote: »

Is this service area not an official online one? Whatever about "sucking" the life out of smaller areas I'm sure Ennis will be fine. Long distance traffic shouldn't have to come off the motorway to get to a service station located along the local roads. Now if there was a private one located at a junction along that stretch then no need to spend public money on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Driving up to Dublin the other evening.... Manor Stone absolutely rammed to the gills with people. Its too small. There has to be the demand for an online NRA service on the M8. Its crazy that they still aren't considering it.

Also, I thought there was a rule that the services themselves couldn't be a destination and that several on the M9 had been refused for trying to add other shops to it. How did Manor Stone get away with this as the pedestrian entrance linking the Manor Stone Services with the Manor Stone garden center has been getting steadily more ornate over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I see 8 Tesla chargers at Manor Stone on the M8 now. Is there even 8 Tesla's in Ireland or can these charge other cars?

They're just charging ports for any e car. Tesla would be better known for their batteries than their cars.

Actually probably the opposite unless you work in certain circles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

in positive news, the Cashel topaz is about to go from a petrol station with barely enough parking spaces for staff, to something more user friendly.
    http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/home/213857/topaz-extension-to-create-23-cashel-jobs.html
    Strange nobody mentioned it before, but the parking extension is finished and opened

When we landed at about 2pm all spaces were taken so it looks like the 85 odd extra spaces isn't quite enough for peak demand. At least for off peak visits you'd be guaranteed a space, which wasn't even the case in the past.

Pat McDonagh trying for the 2nd time to get planning for a service area on the M18

http://clarechampion.ie/mcdonagh-planning-new-motorway-service-area/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Had a quick look in the thread and I couldn't see this ,sorry if has being mentioned, is there a services area being build beside the city north hotel on the M1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

roadmaster wrote: »
    Had a quick look in the thread and I couldn't see this ,sorry if has being mentioned, is there a services area being build beside the city north hotel on the M1?

Yes there is.

Don't know anything about it but I was in the city north last week and remember seeing the construction. I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it there.

Advertisement