Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,852 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Knock: Come for the crazy taxi, stay for the erm....crazy taxi.

think there's still a Crazy Taxi in Leisureplex Stillorgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

think there's still a Crazy Taxi in Leisureplex Stillorgan.

There is indeed. Seems to be a Japanese one too with all the instructions on the cab in Japanese. However I put a euro in to have a go and it ate my money :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Upgraded the hard drive in my PS3 again last night, just a simple process now as a PS+ user. 1TB should keep me going for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

New levels of crapness from our friends in Parcel Motel.
    Items in transit for 4-5 days for me, 8 days for others :(

I think it's the fact I can see a photo of the packages, but just can't get them that makes me the maddest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah huge delays in Bray too.

I usually let my packages build up over a couple of days but have been collecting them the moment they arrive to try and alleviate some of the congestion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have to ask - if you have seemingly dozens of bad experiences with them, why do you keep using them? Do the benefits - I'm guessing cheaper UK deliveries and the storage option - really outweigh the negatives? If a service screwed me over that many times, I'd be disinclined to use them ever again, regardless of its potential benefits.

Master of the Universe

I have to ask - if you have seemingly dozens of bad experiences with them, why do you keep using them? Do the benefits - I'm guessing cheaper UK deliveries and the storage option - really outweigh the negatives? If a service screwed me over that many times, I'd be disinclined to use them ever again, regardless of its potential benefits.

The storage option isn't something I really care about (not with the folks living down the road :pac:) - it's the savings in shipping that have me going back to them. Far outweighs any service problems.

I bought something last night which, to ship to Ireland, would have cost 25 pounds.

Instead it cost 7 pounds to ship to the UK and the €3.95 PM charge.

the real problem is they haven't been adding locations at a fast enough rate, they seem to be working almost exclusively with Texaco & Tesco.
    they need to do a deal with another retailer, or sooner rather than later the delays will be year-round and will just drive business away.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

They really need a competitor. At the moment there's no huge incentive for them to try and improve anything. Sure they're just sitting back and raking in all the cash right now.

yeah the other like GLS Parcelshop & ParcelConnect involve collecting from a local shop, which means you're limited to that shop's opening hours, and do you really want to trust a shop owner with high value items.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

yeah the other like GLS Parcelshop & ParcelConnect involve collecting from a local shop, which means you're limited to that shop's opening hours, and do you really want to trust a shop owner with high value items.

Parcel motel do that too, they removed the locker from the garage in athy as i mentioned before i think. ive to collect in the garage now during opening hours. big delays in stuff getting there too now that the locker is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

the real problem is they haven't been adding locations at a fast enough rate, they seem to be working almost exclusively with Texaco & Tesco.
    Here it's neither, it's all set up with Topaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

and do you really want to trust a shop owner with high value items.

I wouldn't trust parcel motel with high value items anyway, as their liability is only up to €100 and the procedure to get payment of a claim takes weeks, actually make that months:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

For me it's both the storage and also the savings. And if I'm honest, getting stuff delivered to the UK address up the North that's not really allowed to be shipped to Ireland.

I get hit fairly regularly with problems from Parcel Motel, but I use them so much (few times a week) the odds are against me.

We do need a competitor, or for them to open more motels a lot more regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Doge

Sera wrote: »
    Here it's neither, it's all set up with Topaz

sametbh
    10610478_698384926877189_491542640611925432_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=c92320f2db3aec5551b991152fda9db2&oe=54F976FB&__gda__=1430443954_55a89382f0bf9c7d4437c104a69e9d7c

I wouldn't trust parcel motel with high value items anyway, as their liability is only up to €100 and the procedure to get payment of a claim takes weeks, actually make that months:eek:

You can increase the liability for high value items by paying an extra 3.95 for insurance that will cover you for 16 days (iirc) worth of packages.

I think the people here who are fearing the worst for futurre transit times are forgetting the fact its Christmas. :p

Come january it will all be zippy again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Doge wrote: »

You can increase the liability for high value items by paying an extra 3.95 for insurance that will cover you for 16 days (iirc) worth of packages.

I think the people here who are fearing the worst for futurre transit times are forgetting the fact its Christmas. :p

Come january it will all be zippy again.

You can also increase the liability to €250 per item by filling in their 'Shopping Tracker' section on your Main Page. You just fill details about the item your expecting and it also helps them identify any packages that may not have been posted with the PM number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

o1s1n wrote: »
    I usually let my packages build up over a couple of days but have been collecting them the moment they arrive to try and alleviate some of the congestion.

764012845006254.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Steve SI wrote: »
    getting stuff delivered to the UK address up the North that's not really allowed to be shipped to Ireland.

This.

Examples being 2 litres of Isopropyl, two 2.5l bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide and assorted liquids, gels etc that won't ship directly to Ireland. Savings are massive compared to the rip off prices in Ireland.

It makes me wonder if Amazon might introduce their collection/locker service used in the UK? Would make for fierce competition to Parcel Motel anyway, and Amazon could be the type of company that could afford to take a monetary hit to net a bunch of punters in and keep them there once a beefy little regular user base is established.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I'm pretty lucky with Parcel Motel. There's 3 of them within walking distance so they don't get clogged up.

Have had 3 deliveries this week with no problems... including the Commodore 64 Book.

DinoRex wrote: »
    I'm pretty lucky with Parcel Motel. There's 3 of them within walking distance so they don't get clogged up.

yet Steve's nearest one is about 3km.

makes sense :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Just seen somebody made a mod of the original Half Life called Paranoia. And it's available for Dreamcast. That's cool....if it works and all.

Corholio wrote: »
    You can also increase the liability to €250 per item by filling in their 'Shopping Tracker' section on your Main Page. You just fill details about the item your expecting and it also helps them identify any packages that may not have been posted with the PM number.
    The whole process is a pain in the hole, I think if they damage or loose something on you, you can just write it off, loads of complaints on twitter/etc about claims still not being processed up to a year later.
    My claim was approved 37days ago and i've contacted them over 50 different times now, by email/phone, still being told its being fast tracked and will be with me shortly. I've resorted to pissing them off on twitter as its all I've got left.:D
    Company of the year award, like a fool I'll still use them but only for parcels which cant be damaged or are of so little value its not worth claiming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

A small packet landed in parcel motel up north for me this afternoon. Let's see how long it takes to get to Arklow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Zeeeellllllddddaaaaaaa

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

A small packet landed in parcel motel up north for me this afternoon. Let's see how long it takes to get to Arklow.

Should get to you around 8am tomorrow.

Andrew76 wrote: »

Yeah. Just be curious to see if the Christmas rush is slowing things down.

Can't imagine a need to send the parcel motel bang bus to Arklow with all the excess stuff that didn't fit the lockers.

No sign yet. Still in transit. Looks like it will get a two day hit.

• Advertisement

I use the Finglas/Charlestown SC motel and took 6days from time of arrival the other day

No sign yet. Still in transit. Looks like it will get a two day hit.

Normally it would come down in the middle of the night on the same day it was checked in. Normally. Hopefully you get first thing tomorrow else it will be Monday. :(

Normally it would come down in the middle of the night on the same day it was checked in. Normally. Hopefully you get first thing tomorrow else it will be Monday. :(

Yeah, hope it lands tomorrow morning.

Fair play to ya going through all that trouble for my Christmas pressie though, an ole Bolands voucher would've done. :pac:

Fair play to ya going through all that trouble for my Christmas pressie though, an ole Bolands voucher would've done. :pac:

You can have the contents of the packet of you insist. This.

2sc_5144-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So what is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Sparks43 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A replacement transistor for my monitor chassis.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've never seen one before, no one has, but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've never seen one before, no one has, but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

A white hole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Sega Power Base Conerter, is that region free? As in will one from the US work on a Megadrive?

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    The Sega Power Base Conerter, is that region free? As in will one from the US work on a Megadrive?

Yep it is, the Sega Master System is region free.

Thinking about picking one up? The Master System Hu Card type things work with it too.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yep it is, the Sega Master System is region free.

Thinking about picking one up? The Master System Hu Card type things work with it too.

Ah grand, cheers. Yep gonna pick one up in the near year after xmas as I sold on my MSII. Would I be right in thinking the video out comes from the MD or is it ANOTHER video cable needed ala the 32X?

Master of the Universe

Ah grand, cheers. Yep gonna pick one up in the near year after xmas as I sold on my MSII. Would I be right in thinking the video out comes from the MD or is it ANOTHER video cable needed ala the 32X?

Video comes out of the Megadrive as it literally is a Master System too :)

All the power base converter does is act as a pass through device for the Master System carts and tells the Megadrives sound chip (which is the same as the Master Systems processor) to take over.

Have you seen the Master System Converter II? Its far far smaller. (Although it doesn't have the card support)

Sweet, all the benefits of the MS1 (cards and rgb) without another console using up space. Is it passively powered given it's essentially a pasthrough? Nope didn't even know there was a PowerBase II - I'd prob stick with the original for the card support, even though I've no cards (yet) :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,852 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The card games are all a load of crap so not missing much there.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The card games are all a load of crap so not missing much there.

Are the card games exclusive to card, or are a lot dual format? I know very little about the MS1...

Master of the Universe

Sweet, all the benefits of the MS1 (cards and rgb) without another console using up space. Is it passively powered given it's essentially a pasthrough? Nope didn't even know there was a PowerBase II - I'd prob stick with the original for the card support, even though I've no cards (yet) :o

Yep its passive, no need for a PSU.

Here's a photo of my Master System Converter II I took a few years back. Its designed to for the MD2. (Power Base doesn't fit it) only released in Europe in the end.

DSC_0103-1.jpg

Wow, that's pretty nice actually. Very neat!

Are the card games exclusive to card, or are a lot dual format? I know very little about the MS1...

Some are dual format. Honestly they're all pretty crappy. They were made as budget games and hold far less memory than carts so the ganes on them are really basic. They were discontinued fairly quickly.

Master of the Universe

Might be a long shot but, any of you lads know your lightbulbs?

There's a really bright overhead light in my sitting room and the bulb just went. I just removed it and it's not like anything I've seen before. Anyone any ideas? Almost looks like a syringe!

IMG_20141221_224344105_zpsc181d82a.jpg

IMG_20141221_224413357_zpsd27cf1fb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah I've seen those before, some lamps I used to sell in work had them. Should be able to pick them up in any hardware store. Just make sure the length is correct as some have the same part/model number but different lengths.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement