Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    AIL players are not professional rugby players and can't just slot in, especially not in a high level game.

Ireland are not struggling based on who Leinster's third choice outhalf is.

Yeah it's a ridiculous suggestion saying bring in an AIL player tbh, particularly if it's someone who has nothing to do with a province/isn't in the academy. Playing an Irish player who is patently never going to play for Ireland is no different than playing an NIQ.

There are reasons against this signing for sure but the AIL has nothing to do with it.

As for getting a player on loan for a few months - wtf is the point of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Did any posters here acknowledge the need for a 10/12 before the signing was announced? I think its a case of there being the spot and cash available, so Leinster brought a player in to fill a hole that might end up existing. There should be plenty of semi-pro lads in the AIL that could make the step up if needed.
    danthefan wrote: »
    As for getting a player on loan for a few months - wtf is the point of that?

It worked out with Brad Thorn anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Did any posters here acknowledge the need for a 10/12 before the signing was announced? I think its a case of there being the spot and cash available, so Leinster brought a player in to fill a hole that might end up existing. There should be plenty of semi-pro lads in the AIL that could make the step up if needed.
    Well I said a utility back who could play 12 would be nice. Its not a necessity though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I certainly wasn't calling for it but it's a valid signing in my opinion. How many other clubs would be happy with the possibility of having to play a 10 and 12 who are both in the Academy and a 13 who's still young and inexperienced.
    It would be like Munster playing
    10. Deasy (not really a like for like comparison as Reid is still in the academy and Deasy has played a lot for Munster)
    12. Hircock
    13. Dineen
    with a back-up from AIL.

I do agree that an alternative could have been signed from another province, but then would it be in the interest of the player?, as Leinster clearly just want a disposable utility back that will be used in one year.

Hagz wrote: »
    I certainly wasn't calling for it but it's a valid signing in my opinion. How many other clubs would be happy with the possibility of having to play a 10 and 12 who are both in the Academy and a 13 who's still young and inexperienced.
    10. Deasy (not really a like for like comparison as Reid is still in the academy and Deasy has played a lot for Munster)
    12. Hircock
    13. Dineen
    with a back-up from AIL.

I do agree that an alternative could have been signed from another province, but then would it be in the interest of the player?, as Leinster clearly just want a disposable utility back that will be used in one year.
    Replace Deasy with Quinn McDonagh maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

12. Hircock
    13. Dineen
    with a back-up from AIL.

Assuming the unlikely situation of all of Sexton, Madigan, D'Arcy, BOD, McFadden and Fitzgerald being involved in an Irish squad. Leinster would still have Nacewa, Macken and EOM from the first team squad available to fill in at 10/12/13. That's before you begin to look at giving some gametime to academy players/playing wingers (or Boss) in the centre.

I'd gladly see Munster play the following in some dead-rubber PRO12 game:
    10: Deasy/Hanrahan
    12/13: Barnes/Dineen/Hanrahan/Murphy/Hurley/Smith/Hircock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Assuming the unlikely situation of all of Sexton, Madigan, D'Arcy, BOD, McFadden and Fitzgerald being involved in an Irish squad. Leinster would still have Nacewa, Macken and EOM from the first team squad available to fill in at 10/12/13. That's before you begin to look at giving some gametime to academy players/playing wingers (or Boss) in the centre.

EOM is injured but I suppose you're right. But still, I can't see how the signing hinders anyone and I can see why it has been made. I just can't see who this fella Goodman is going to hold back..
    In fact, I can see most of his games being played in the B&I cup where we are going to need an outside centre. Again, he's not going to hold back an outside centre if he plays in the B&I cup because we have no outside centre in the Academy. The whole AIL argument doesn't really makes sense to me. I mean if you're to look at things realistically, the signing of Goodman is not going to hold back some diamond in the ruff playing in the AIL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

12. Hircock
    13. Dineen
    with a back-up from AIL.

Replace Deasy with Quinn McDonagh maybe
    Or Hanrahan?

Top level AIL level players are a long way off being good enough to play for Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

EOM and Fitz are both unavailable until 2013. There are 7 games that clash with international players being restricted in 2012. None of Nacewa, Macken or EOM are inside centres (EOM and Macken both wore 12 once but were swapping to the outside channel throughout) and Nacewa has very little experience at 10 in a long, long time. We have two academy players for inside centre in Noel Reid and Collie O'Shea with a grand total of 4 starts between them. It would be great if they were ready but no academy player is going to play 5 games in a row at the start of the season when they're untested to a large degree.

There's also the idea that provinces need to use these NIQ spots. The IRFU is strengthening their position on restricting foreign signings. If provinces start operating without them when they're available to them, the IRFU will have a fairly cast iron case for further reducing the numbers when the provinces might want/need to make signings in the future.

The idea of moving wingers or Isaac Boss into the centre when there's a perfectly simple solution available is ludicrous. Regardless, Leinster are going to be short on wingers too at the moment. Conway and Carr are the only available wingers in the senior squad due to surgeries and international players sitting out.

• Advertisement

Top level AIL level players are a long way off being good enough to play for Leinster.

Something that really doesn't seem to click with people. AIL is amateur. These lads have full time jobs, go out on the lash during the season and a large number of them play for the joy of the game. They're used to playing a similar standard. AIL match day sides often have J1 players amongst them. The jump between the standard of player they'd face on a Saturday afternoon in UCD and in Parc y Scarlets is immeasurable. They'll have Welsh internationals in their back line who would pour through an AIL player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

If Leinster thought someone was good enough to fit in from AIL level then they would source from there e.g Leo. However obviously they don't see anyone with enough talent so went else where. Neither would have a shot at a long term Leinster contract or ever playing for Ireland however one of them gives us a better chance at winning then the other.

At the end of the day winning is what is bringing in the money into the IRFU from the provinces to help fund the grass root game. So if winning is on the line we shouldn't be bringing in an AIL players just to say we used someone Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Erm, is that really that unlikely? I would say it's 100% certain that Sexton, D'Arcy, BOD and McFadden will be involved, Fitzgerald is out injured until the new year at least so that only leaves Madigan. He'll probably be available to Leinster so long as Declan "this group of players deserves a chance to put things right" Kidney remains in charge, but then EOM is also out until November/December, so Leinster really will be hard pressed for 10/12/13 when the internationals are out.

And is playing Boss in the centre better for the development of young guys than playing this new fella? (plus Boss will be needed at SH when Reddan is away with the national squad).

Lads, let's all get a grip. This Goodman guy is 29 years old and has never played Super Rugby. He's coming on a one-year deal. He is not remotely in the same category as Berquist. He's as much a threat to the development of Reid, Marsh and O'Shea as I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It had been mentioned that we were looking light in the back line for the start of the season.

Internationals:
    Sexton
    Darce
    Drico
    McFadden
    R Kearney

Injured:
    EOM
    Fitzy
    D Kearney

Available:
    Madigan
    Reid
    O'Shea
    Macken
    Carr
    Hudson
    Conway
    Nacewa

The experience levels there are quite poor and our back-up is pretty much non-existent. An injury to Nacewa and Carr would be our senior back. If we start the season like last and suffer a couple of injuries we'd have no back-up at all. The AIL isn't an option, as already explained. There's nothing wrong with this signing as its obviously for cover and won't be keeping any 1 individual out of the side. Fuss over nothing me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Fuss over nothing completely sums up this whole debate, he won't be holding anyone back, he won't be here for long, and he is absolutely necessary with internationals away combined with current and inevitable injuries.

When you look at the injuries we have now, and the injuries we had at the start of last season, you can't be too safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

With Schmidt as head coach, if one of the youngsters are a better option than Goodman, then they will play ahead of him.

Sin é.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd bet Carr is happy he stuck around.

.ak wrote: »

I bet he was happy he was given the opportunity to! If it wasn't for injuries, I'd say he'd be shown the door. Fitz, Horgan, Dave Kearney and Conway have all had bad luck with injuries and would all be well above Carr in the pecking order. When Carr's extension was announced it was already known that Horgan was gone and Fitz was to have surgery. They've only given him a one year deal again. He's really just covering at this point it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

GerM wrote: »

I bet he was happy he was given the opportunity to! If it wasn't for injuries, I'd say he'd be shown the door. Fitz, Horgan, Dave Kearney and Conway have all had bad luck with injuries and would all be well above Carr in the pecking order. When Carr's extension was announced it was already known that Horgan was gone and Fitz was to have surgery. They've only given him a one year deal again. He's really just covering at this point it would seem.

I don't know, he's a very good Pro12 player to have when the big names are away, and is also good backup when the internationals are here.

Then again, I wonder if Connacht would take him back. They seem to be building a good squad, and Carr fills the role of a player who would be perfect for them; not top class but a game changer at this level, and is unlikely to leave again to improve his chances of international selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

The Goodman signing shows how smart an operation that Schmidt and co are.

We're not going to have D'arcy (202) BOD (158) and McFadden (74) due to the player welfare scheme, and EOM(49) and Fitz(103) are a while out returning from operations. So we're down 5 centres straight away. So we're expecting guys like Macken (12) and Reid (6) to be adequate stand-ins for guys with a combined total of approximately 600 Leinster caps. There's giving youth a chance and there's folly.

Then there is the outhalf position, Sexton is going to be in the Irish squad and Madigan probably deserves to be there too. Last year Madigan was a bit of an unknown so we needed a good backup for JS and we got it in Berquist. His (un)fortunate injury allowed Madigan to shine and became a fine backup/alternative to Sexton. So this season we need backup for Madigan; cue Leinster signing Goodman. With Sexton and the 5 centres unavailable players we are down 6 players very likely to be in a match day 23. Reid was mentioned as the next in line but he was erratic at B&I cup level as well as being required in the centre. He'll need to brought in gradually and playing at 12 is probably easier on him than at 10.

Profitus proffered the idea that Deasy should have been taken in but it only puts another young player in competition for 3rd or 4th place in the pecking order, the exact same position as he's in Munster. Goodman' has the advantage that he and Reid can chop and change at 10 and 12, so it doesn't mean he's blocking a youngster's development in a certain position. We'll desperately need experience should one of Sexton or Madigan get injured and to provide cover in the centres should we face a spate of injuries to our midfield.

Schmidt has constantly given game time to youngsters, it hasn't always worked but it's very refreshing to see in the dark days of Kidneyball. I wouldn't be surprised if Madigan, Goodman, Reid and Macken are in the match day squad for our early games. The more I ponder Goodman's signing it's inspired work by Schmidt et al.; sign a niq centre-cum-outhalf for pittance to cover 10 and 12 initially whilst we're down 5 centres and an out half, adding much needed experience and depth to the squad whilst not blocking a younger players development. Schmidt is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

There should be plenty of semi-pro lads in the AIL that could make the step up if needed.

Seems its just fine for Munster to sign a backrower thats "needed" from SA but when Leinster sign a utility back thats needed from the relatively unknown NPC, its wrong and they should be recruiting from the AIL. Its always a "but"; standard stuff as per usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

When I said look to the AIL I ment have them train with Leinster for a few months or the whole season. I wouldn't mind seeing Hanrahan go on loan if he wasn't getting a game with Munster.
    leftleg wrote: »
    Seems its just fine for Munster to sign a backrower thats "needed" from SA but when Leinster sign a utility back thats needed from the relatively unknown NPC, its wrong and they should be recruiting from the AIL. Its always a "but"; standard stuff as per usual

Its a good signing for Munster but a bad one for Ireland. The same with Lualala and Du Preez IMO.

I'm glad the IRFU want to stop these injury cover players coming, from next season on. Munster have done it with Tokula, Morland etc which I have been critical of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

But if Hanrahan went on loan he probably still wouldn't be getting a game. Much like this new signing won't get much game time. However in a desperate situation if he's called on at least he's a solid pro and not a guy just out of school!

AIL players are not an option. End of. Leinster obviously pay attention to the comp as Au'va shows, but even if he was absurdly good in the AIL, is now a pro and still hasn't seen a minute of HEC game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

Theres plenty of players in the AIL who are better than some of the young players Leinster have. Some with better conditioning and strength who have played professional rugby before but if they bring them in for one or two games they have to keep them around forever and block younger players coming through whereas with Goodman they can do what they like and then tell him to go home at the end of the year.

I wouldnt say its a good or bad signing but merely a necessary signing. There are still ex pros like Simon Keogh playing rugby in AIL who are in great shape and experienced at pro rugby.

profitius wrote: »
    When I said look to the AIL I ment have them train with Leinster for a few months or the whole season. I wouldn't mind seeing Hanrahan go on loan if he wasn't getting a game with Munster.

Its a good signing for Munster but a bad one for Ireland. The same with Lualala and Du Preez IMO.

I'm glad the IRFU want to stop these injury cover players coming, from next season on. Munster have done it with Tokula, Morland etc which I have been critical of.

We'll happily take Hanrahan! Would like to see what him outside Madigan would be like.

Leinster will have lost 12-15 players to international duty and/or injury at the start of the season. If we were to then suffer a couple more injuries, like we did last year, we'd be down over a full starting XV. No club/province/region in the world has the depth to be able deal with that.

There's a common sense approach that is better than the reactive approach favoured by the IRFU these days. And that is that you examine the need of the province and give them the scope to remain competitive while still developing talent for the national side.

That Leinster can be providing all these players (a dozen or so players to the national side, plus another dozen or so to the Under 20's, not to mention those players like Toner, EOM, Madigan and D Kearney that are in the Wolfhounds and not far from breaking into the Irish team) and still be getting stick for player development is a bit rich. Even just looking at match days squads. Leinster provide about 7 or 8 players to Ireland's starting XV with probably another 2 or 3 on the bench. They provide 8 or 9 for the U20s with another 4 or 5 on the bench. They make up pretty much half the match day squads for both sides. And yet people complain when they bring in a guy as back up for a year as though somehow Leinster aren't pulling their weight in terms of player development!?

profitius wrote: »

Going off topic here but I don't think they're the same at all. Ireland are overloaded with backrowers and if I'm correct, this Stander guy will be the only NIQ backrower across the three provinces next season, but it's an area in which Munster are weak. That is EXACTLY the sort of NIQ who should be signed.

Du Preez is at the other end of the spectrum, he is a first choice NIQ in a position in which Ireland are completely exposed, just like Botha and Afoa (and van der Merwe to a lesser extent).

Going off topic here but I don't think they're the same at all. Ireland are overloaded with backrowers and if I'm correct, this Stander guy will be the only NIQ backrower across the three provinces next season, but it's an area in which Munster are weak. That is EXACTLY the sort of NIQ who should be signed.

Du Preez is at the other end of the spectrum, he is a first choice NIQ in a position in which Ireland are completely exposed, just like Botha and Afoa (and van der Merwe to a lesser extent).
    Williams in Ulster so there is two.

Williams in Ulster so there is two.

Dang, forgot about him. Well, I think my point is still valid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Heineken Cup DVD is really poor.[/surprise]

roycon wrote: »
    Theres plenty of players in the AIL who are better than some of the young players Leinster have. Some with better conditioning and strength who have played professional rugby before but if they bring them in for one or two games they have to keep them around forever and block younger players coming through whereas with Goodman they can do what they like and then tell him to go home at the end of the year.

I wouldnt say its a good or bad signing but merely a necessary signing. There are still ex pros like Simon Keogh playing rugby in AIL who are in great shape and experienced at pro rugby.
    That's not the case at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I'm slowly forming the opinion from watching the stormers over the last few weeks that Quinn Roux is a fairly average lock in super rugby, there are already a couple of guys from this years South African U20 side that are looking better than him in super rugby. It could be that because the stormers have stuttered of late form-wise, coupled with a defensively oriented side that he's not showing his full repertoire of abilities.

I do have a sneaky feeling that he's a pretty decent unit in the scrums as even with Kitshoff in the front row the stormers perform alright with him there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

Anyone know when definite dates are released for the rabo games. I see the fixtures for each game show 3 dates?

keano007 wrote: »
    Anyone know when definite dates are released for the rabo games. I see the fixtures for each game show 3 dates?

Probably late July/August we'll see the dates til Christmas released anyhow.

yimrsg wrote: »
    I'm slowly forming the opinion from watching the stormers over the last few weeks that Quinn Roux is a fairly average lock in super rugby, there are already a couple of guys from this years South African U20 side that are looking better than him in super rugby. It could be that because the stormers have stuttered of late form-wise, coupled with a defensively oriented side that he's not showing his full repertoire of abilities.

I do have a sneaky feeling that he's a pretty decent unit in the scrums as even with Kitshoff in the front row the stormers perform alright with him there.

I only saw him for the first time yesterday for 20 mins against the Rebels. Thought he looked solid enough with ball in hand and was a big powerful unit. But defensively he seemed a little lost. He created that huge hole for the Rebels last try and his tackle technique seemed to be either stand in the way or grab a hold of the jersey. I don't think I saw him complete one actual tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Anyone heard when the dates for the Heineken Cup pool games will be announced? I think last year it was 20 July, so with luck, we'll hear this week. Come hell or high water, I'm going to Clermont, but am wondering when!

I'd love to join you depending which side of Christmas it falls on. A trip to the 'bear pit' would be one to remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I'd love to join you depending which side of Christmas it falls on. A trip to the 'bear pit' would be one to remember.

Has to be the double header before Christmas I'd imagine.*

(*imagine = me hoping so I will be around for it)

Well, I'd think you could be right and it is what I'm expecting. Clermont is up in the mountains, and not a great place to be trying to get to in the middle of winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yeah may head over to the Clermont game as well depending on the date of it. Should be an absolute cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Pool 5: Jersey, Pontypridd, Leinster, Leeds

Leinster's B&I Cup pool.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »

Well, I'd think you could be right and it is what I'm expecting. Clermont is up in the mountains, and not a great place to be trying to get to in the middle of winter.
    That wasn't my experience at all. We flew up from Lyon in no time

Pool 5: Jersey, Pontypridd, Leinster, Leeds

Leinster's B&I Cup pool.

Interesting that all the fixtures are on during H-Cup weekends. Hope there's no clashes. Looking forward to seeing the teams in action again - especially with the experiences they got under their belt from the JWC.

It really is. I was there 2 years ago and loved it. I reckon it'll be the back-to-back as well. It makes sense. I wasn't meant to be doing any away trips this season, but as soon as I saw that we were drawn with Clermont that went out the window completely. Can't wait for it. We did the JWT trip the last time and it made life so much easier. Direct into Clermont and transfers straight to the hotel. It tends to be a bit pricier but it saves hassle going to Nice and driving up from there.

Dunno, if I go to Nice first I might convince the missus to let me go - so long as she tags along! :D It's a fair price to pay...

Dunno, if I go to Nice first I might convince the missus to let me go - so long as she tags along! :D It's a fair price to pay...

The benefits of having a gf who is into rugby is there's no arm twisting required. We both agreed to fore-go the ban on away trips for this one. Happy days...

Oh she's also a rugby fan. Goes to most of the games with actually. However, I'm 'supposed' to be saving... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

you're lucky lads. I've had a season ticket with Leinster for 4 years now and I'm not 100% sure my missus knows which team I go to watch, or which sport it is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

durkadurka wrote: »
    you're lucky lads. I've had a season ticket with Leinster for 4 years now and I'm not 100% sure my missus knows which team I go to watch, or which sport it is.

Munster isn't it?

Sure they're the big team at the moment :pac:

That wasn't my experience at all. We flew up from Lyon in no time

As always, it depends on the kind of winter weather at the time. Friends of mine drove through Clermont en route to Lyon last December and said it was a very tough drive, with plenty of snow. We'll keep the fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

She knows who Kearney is, funnily enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

molloyjh wrote: »
    It really is. I was there 2 years ago and loved it. I reckon it'll be the back-to-back as well. It makes sense. I wasn't meant to be doing any away trips this season, but as soon as I saw that we were drawn with Clermont that went out the window completely. Can't wait for it. We did the JWT trip the last time and it made life so much easier. Direct into Clermont and transfers straight to the hotel. It tends to be a bit pricier but it saves hassle going to Nice and driving up from there.

Why would you fly to Nice?? Its over 6hrs from Clermont, Lyon is 2h30 & Bordeaux a bit more than 4h!

Weather wise it would be best if the away game was first up. It may be cold & wet but a lot less chances of snow or ice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement