Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Weather ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Graces7 wrote: »
    But this sadly is a part of Irish culture. One we have no intention of accepting or following.
    Excuse me? What exactly is part of "irish culture"?

I'm slightly confused by that post would you mind clarifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Gotta love cats.

Was out looking for our cat for the best part of half an hour there now. She had gone out earlier and hadn't returned, so wanted to make sure she was in for the night. Couldn't find her, so went up to my room to get a hat because I was freezing.

There she was, submerged in two quilts and of course I had left the electric blanket was on. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am wondering about those heaters a person can plug in at night for the dogs, those that are especially for dog beds, anyone have or had these and how do you rate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

goat2 wrote: »
    i am wondering about those heaters a person can plug in at night for the dogs, those that are especially for dog beds, anyone have or had these and how do you rate them

I got these for my doggies and cats.I bought them in September..just in case.I dont know if the pet shops have them and I cant remember how long delivery time was :o..But,they're great! Id recommend them :)http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_cushions_pillows_blankets/heat_pads_and_heat_pillows/129427

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

chucken1 wrote: »
    I got these for my doggies and cats.I bought them in September..just in case.I dont know if the pet shops have them and I cant remember how long delivery time was :o..But,they're great! Id recommend them :)http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_cushions_pillows_blankets/heat_pads_and_heat_pillows/129427

is there one that is worked by electricity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

is there one that is worked by electricity

I dont know! Id be a bit nervous using an electric one I think,...if there is such a thing. I find the microwave ones great though,they do stay warm all night. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

But this sadly is a part of Irish culture. One we have no intention of accepting or following.

I notice you are always knocking Ireland as regards animal welfare, and so you should for it's lack of laws but please don't paint us all with the same brush. I am Irish, I am a responsible dog (and cat) owner and there are loads others like me, not everyone in Ireland is as you describe. Every country has it's black areas, no country is absolutely perfect but it doesn't mean everyone in that country is the same.

Kowloon, glad to hear your cat turned up safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Dogs need more than shelter etc; they need their people. I am sure that you did nto mean "if you don't want them" to sound as it i did, but it expresses the truth perfectly.

That was a mistake on my part, actually meant to say 'if you don't want them in' :o

Still, I'd have everything in given weather like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Hi, I'm a bit concerned about our two (a Golden Retriever and a hairy mongrel sheepdog-type dude). They're out in the dog shed, which has one of those UV red lights to keep them warm. However, in the corner of the little shed is a white bucket of water that is just complete ice now.

They're pretty smelly (not meant in a bad way) and are really outdoors dogs.

Should we bring them in in this weather? I'd have thought the red light would do a job keeping them warm, along with their shagginess, but now I'm a bit worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

http://www.petnap.co.uk/

They also have an ebay shop. The pads work really well but you must follow the instructions on where to place them. The run off 12 volts so are totally safe & easy to wire.

If you plug them into a thermostatic adaptor (from B&Q) then you can set the temperature that you want them to come on so they are fit & forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Of course there are animal lovers in Ireland & I think that Grace knows this. However as much as we may hate it the facts are that animal neglect/cruelty is part of everyday Irish life for the majority.

This is vindicated by the fact that none of the three main parties mention animal welfare. It has never been an election issue. Blair may have his faults but he knew that the majority of the UK opposed hunting so he put a ban on hunting in the election manifesto.

Many European countries have an almost instinctive desire to protect animals. I spent time in the UK & the difference is incredible. I hate to say it but I do think that it is part of our culture. It is so ingrained.

Things are improving but at a painfully slow rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Drumpot wrote: »
    I have two springer collies, with thick enough coats.

They usually sleep in their kennel and we have been padding it with blankets and put it in the shed (in a way whereby once the shed door is locked they are confined to their Kennel to keep the heat in).

When I got them (guy in Galway), they were just pups roaming around a freezing open shed.

I have been monitoring them and they see to be happy enough running around the garden in the snow. They dont seem to want to get into their kennel (only time they go in is when Im putting them out of snow showers). Their coats feel cold to the touch, but Ive checked at differant times and they are not shaking (with cold).

I live right on the East Coast, where we expect the most snow, however, temps dont look to be going under 1 or 2 (sea heat etc).

My wife is loath to bring them into the house, I have had mixed feelings, not really sure if my dogs are really that bothered (no barking , moaning or whining from them at all!).

If you have them in at night, is it ok to put them back out during the day? We have a young child (1 and a half) and they are big dogs, so we are just worried that they would keep knocking him over (they are really friendly, but dont know their own strength!). Also, would that not mess up their bodies (hot to cold etc).

Are there any warning signs that your dogs are not coping well with the weather (eg, not eating etc).

I think it's fine to have them in at night and out during the day. What type of shed are they in at night (garden shed/garadge). If the shed is well insulated you have a kennell in it and some bedding it should be grand. There is two of them so they should snuggle up together. Put some cardboard on kennell floor and then blankets etc. Make sure blankets are dry as they could get damp and freeze. Feed them extra aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Discodog wrote: »
    Many European countries have an almost instinctive desire to protect animals. I spent time in the UK & the difference is incredible. I hate to say it but I do think that it is part of our culture. It is so ingrained.

Sorry I don't except this, just because the authorities in this country have their head up their backside in relation to animal rights in this country it doesn't mean the ordinary Irish citizen does. The government doesn't represent a countries whole culture the people of that country do and while we have our fair share of bad apples I really think the good people outweigh the bad here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

To me, if you're wondering whether or not to bring your dogs in, and you're really not convinced they need to be in, do the following.
    • Set your alarm for 3.30am.
    • If you've a short-coated dog, put on long trousers, shoes, socks, a t-shirt and a cotton jumper. If you've a longer-coated dog, add a woollen jumper to that mix. No scarf, hat or gloves for you.
    • Head out to where your dog sleeps and climb in there with them. (They'll be only delighted to see you.)
    • Lie out there with them for 15 mins to half an hour.
    • If you're still shivering, or can't even last that time, you need to bring your dogs in.

Sleeping in the cold, while animals are better at it than we are, is not conducive to comfortable, restful sleep. Ears, noses and feet get freezing cold. Sleep is restless and your animals will be prone to waking. Your dogs may bark at night at the slightest provocation - this is because they're dozing, not sleeping, and can be woken easily. For older animals, the cold seriously affects joints and can considerably worsen arthritis and rheumatoid conditions.

Your animals are doing it hard if they're sleeping out in this weather with inadequate protection from the elements, and if you do it hard for long enough, the stress affects your overall health. Your immune system is impacted and you may be more prone to illness or falling foul of disease. It conceivably follows that doing it hard in a winter like this could even shorten the lifespan of your animal.

I don't believe your animals absolutely have to 100% be in the house with you in this weather - but that all depends on whether or not you really have provided adequate heat and shelter for them outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

My two normally sleep in the kitchen and this weather their bed is dragged up against a radiator and they sleep in a nest of fleece blankets, tucked in under a blanket. They usually stay outside while we're at work but they haven't been left outside during the day since the cold weather started. Thankfully we've been able to work from home.

As far as I'm concerned it's pure cruelty to leave any animal outside in this weather for any length of time, especially at night. Unless they have an insulated, draft free, comfortably and properly heated house, even then you have to be absolutely sure it's adequate - Sweeper's advice is the perfect test and if every "ah he'll be grand" type owner took it, it would hopefully be a bit of an eye opener. But then you can't underestimate how many people just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

lrushe wrote: »
    Sorry I don't except this, just because the authorities in this country have their head up their backside in relation to animal rights in this country it doesn't mean the ordinary Irish citizen does. The government doesn't represent a countries whole culture the people of that country do and while we have our fair share of bad apples I really think the good people outweigh the bad here.

I wish I could agree but I really don't. And I'm Irish born and raised. In my experience, with animals, casual neglect and a blind eye to cruelty is endemic in Irish culture, even in people who are otherwise good, decent people. (This is outside of the real out-and-out cruelty cases.)
    I see it in my own friends and family members, young and old. People are desensitised to it from childhood I think because you're surrounded by it and it's the norm, and there's a lot of ignorance and indifference. You're considered odd if you think otherwise, or treat your animals differently. I know people, even those close to me, think I am! I don't care though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Two of my dogs are pretty hardy and being outside never took a feather out of them but this weather is exceptional so they have been moved indoors at night, this is a permanent thing providing the collie esp. doesn't become too stressed (she doesn't like enclosed spaces).

My dogs can manage winters no prob. but it's was -13 last night, some might forget how cold it actually gets in the middle of the night now my dogs could managed -3 even -10 because they have been fattened up a bit for the winter and have cosy vet bed in a shed and lots of blankets but it's been below -10 the last few nights and I noticed today my collie shivering..she never shivers no matter what the weather.

Many of us are lucky enough to either have a utility room or conservatory or something and they're handy for outdoor dogs because they don't tend to be too warm but once your dogs are indoors at night it's important not to leave them out at night again until the weather warms up, it's not good for them to have sudden changes in temp. every night.

Some dogs like huskys etc. are built for these temps. but most dogs esp. short haired dogs and elderly or young pups shouldn't be out in this weather.

Our Papillon was out for 30 seconds this evening having a right old run around like a loon (he's fed up of being stuck in) but the snow stuck to him and he started whinging and it must of been painful like freezer burn so brought him in straight away, he'll go outside for a run and a sniff around and not want to come in, then I'll check on him a minute later and he's standing in the snow with his paw in the air stuck with ice. He needs to go out to pee etc. but that's about it it's way to cold for him.

Advertisement