Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Weather ?

Options
  • 29-11-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Hi

looking for some advice.
    With the current weather conditions (especially at nite) would I need to take any extra action to look after the cat and dog (boxer)?
    They both stay out in the shed at nite in their kennels, a fine bed a straw for both of them. Is this enough for them, will they be OK during the -5 ' C temps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I have to say, i couldnt leave any dog out in this weather:(

Temps are to plummett to -12 or more this week. Please bring your animals inside. They arent adapted to living outside in these conditions. Boxers only have a very short coat too which wouldnt be enough for these conditions.

Straw and a kennel wouldnt be keeping a dog anywhere near warm or comfortable in these low temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

totally agree with above poster. think the only answer is to bring them in. i dont think any living creature should be outside in these temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Ya, i was thinking that too.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

Have to agree, always have my lot in!!!
    its sooo cold out there, doesnt bear thinking about!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I have a Malamute and he stays outside all night, he is loving the cold. Dog flap is always there for him to come in. But any other breeds that are not snow dogs I would keep in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Definitely bring them in. My cats haven't ventured outside since this cold snap

The two of them slept soundly last nite, the boxer sat on top of the stove all nite and the cat out in the conservatory (i see who is the boss there lol)

They didnt even hear me this morning when i got up for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I felt guilty bout leaving my dog out in the bitter cold (hes a samoyed) big coat in all! that face gets me ever time!lol!! he was whinging when it started freezing out!! He prob wont want to go back out to his kennel when the weather goes back to normal! so even this furriest of fellas like a bit of heat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

I've a 1yr old boxer and 4yr old cat (both indoor animals) and was worried about them being in the extension/kitchen where it's pretty cold at the moment! (what a softy!!!)

The boxer just isn't built for this weather.
    Someone gave us a hurrta dog jacket - http://url.ie/8brn
    Great quality. She's almost too warm when outside.
    She'd be fine running in the cold - but shiver when walking / hanging about.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

I couldn't leave my dogs outside. They both sleep on blankets at the end of my bed, the Irish Setter really feels the cold though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

It's very important to keep pets inside, and warm, during this cold weather. My lot are currently in beds with fleece blankets against a heater... very spoiled but they are happy and warm. They are also getting extra rations in their meals to help keep them warm. I am very conscious about the eldest one (he's a golden oldie!), he suffers very badly with the cold and is loving the extra a heat in the house at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

They are also getting extra rations in their meals to help keep them warm..

I do this aswell, I also heat their dinner in the mircowave, makes me feel better to watch them tucking into a hot meal! :)

Ya ... i heat up their dinners with hot chicken soup ... jasus they love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Been thinking about this.We've got 2 cats.One of them likes her bed - a lot:D - but the other likes to take little journeys around outside during the day. She doesn't go far, but she likes to hop through the neighbours gardens, or sit in our front garden. I won't let them out at night, and right now I'm wary of letting them out during the day either. The thing is, I think the one who likes going out is getting a bit - restless. She's driving me nuts!! I've opened the door for her now and then, and she ventures out, but I don't want to leave her out for any length of time.

What do you think? Should I let her at it outside? She's got me driven demented doing laps of the house, and meowing, and she wouldn't eat this morning until I let her out for about 10 minutes......it's just so cold and horrible out there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dan_d wrote: »
    Been thinking about this.We've got 2 cats.One of them likes her bed - a lot:D - but the other likes to take little journeys around outside during the day. She doesn't go far, but she likes to hop through the neighbours gardens, or sit in our front garden. I won't let them out at night, and right now I'm wary of letting them out during the day either. The thing is, I think the one who likes going out is getting a bit - restless. She's driving me nuts!! I've opened the door for her now and then, and she ventures out, but I don't want to leave her out for any length of time.

What do you think? Should I let her at it outside? She's got me driven demented doing laps of the house, and meowing, and she wouldn't eat this morning until I let her out for about 10 minutes......it's just so cold and horrible out there!!!

Let her do as she needs to do. Our two are in and out just as always even though it seems harsh out there to us. Day and night. They would go berserk if they were not allowed to do that. They find snug corners and sheltered places and come back when it gets too cold.

I have noticed that these nights they tend to tunnel under the bedclothes rather than stay atop, but that is fine!!

Yip, the cats are cute enough to know when its time to come out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

I have the opposite problem with my dog.

He's never much liked being outside - wants to be in beside you all the time. But in saying that he was very happy sleeping in his kennel so far - why wouldn't he, it's bloody plush!

But anyway, we've had him sleeping inside for the last week and now he basically doesn't want to go outside at all. We have to trick him to go outside during the day so that he can pee! And then he'll want to come back in again before he's even pee'd. But he's so clean that he won't pee in the house at all.

Seriously - he won't pee all night in the house (even though we have a pee-pad down and are not too bothered about accidents anyway - it's a tile kitchen) and then in the morning I come down and have to trick him to go outside just so he can pee! And he's wise to it now and won't go outside!

The bloody dog would rather keep it in all the time and be inside, than go outside for 5 minutes to relieve itself! Madness. This cold snap is basically turning him into a CAT!

God knows how we're going to get him to sleep outside again when the weather is better.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

One of our cats asked to go ot yesterday morning. The weather took a turn for the worse and we haven't seen her since :(.
    Quite worried, the snow is very deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have two springer collies, with thick enough coats.

They usually sleep in their kennel and we have been padding it with blankets and put it in the shed (in a way whereby once the shed door is locked they are confined to their Kennel to keep the heat in).

When I got them (guy in Galway), they were just pups roaming around a freezing open shed.

I have been monitoring them and they see to be happy enough running around the garden in the snow. They dont seem to want to get into their kennel (only time they go in is when Im putting them out of snow showers). Their coats feel cold to the touch, but Ive checked at differant times and they are not shaking (with cold).

I live right on the East Coast, where we expect the most snow, however, temps dont look to be going under 1 or 2 (sea heat etc).

My wife is loath to bring them into the house, I have had mixed feelings, not really sure if my dogs are really that bothered (no barking , moaning or whining from them at all!).

If you have them in at night, is it ok to put them back out during the day? We have a young child (1 and a half) and they are big dogs, so we are just worried that they would keep knocking him over (they are really friendly, but dont know their own strength!). Also, would that not mess up their bodies (hot to cold etc).

Are there any warning signs that your dogs are not coping well with the weather (eg, not eating etc).

Drumpot wrote: »

They usually sleep in their kennel and we have been padding it with blankets and put it in the shed (in a way whereby once the shed door is locked they are confined to their Kennel to keep the heat in).

When I got them (guy in Galway), they were just pups roaming around a freezing open shed.

I have been monitoring them and they see to be happy enough running around the garden in the snow. They dont seem to want to get into their kennel (only time they go in is when Im putting them out of snow showers). Their coats feel cold to the touch, but Ive checked at differant times and they are not shaking (with cold).

I live right on the East Coast, where we expect the most snow, however, temps dont look to be going under 1 or 2 (sea heat etc).

My wife is loath to bring them into the house, I have had mixed feelings, not really sure if my dogs are really that bothered (no barking , moaning or whining from them at all!).

If you have them in at night, is it ok to put them back out during the day? We have a young child (1 and a half) and they are big dogs, so we are just worried that they would keep knocking him over (they are really friendly, but dont know their own strength!). Also, would that not mess up their bodies (hot to cold etc).

Are there any warning signs that your dogs are not coping well with the weather (eg, not eating etc).

Sorry, but you cant compare a dog being warm while its running around in the snow during the day and trying to sleep quietly at 3am in -10:( A dog can keep warm during the day when its moving around and temperatures are ok but at night they go down to very low temps and a dog sleeping in a kennel wont be keeping itself warm by moving around.

Just beacause a dog isnt whining etc doesnt mean its comfortable. I certainly couldnt leave my dog sleeping out in conditions like this while im tucked up cosy in bed. Whats the harm in letting them sleepinside at night?? Also it would be fine to leave them out during the day and sleep in then at night. During the day they will be keeping themselves warm by playing, running about etc.

You say you dont allow them in the house much, so when do they get to spend time with you and your family? Dogs need company.

If the dogs were trained properly and exercised enough, there shouldnt be a problem with your kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

yep, agree with all andreac said, id def be bringing them in at night!!

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry, but you cant compare a dog being warm while its running around in the snow during the day and trying to sleep quietly at 3am in -10:( A dog can keep warm during the day when its moving around and temperatures are ok but at night they go down to very low temps and a dog sleeping in a kennel wont be keeping itself warm by moving around.

Just beacause a dog isnt whining etc doesnt mean its comfortable. I certainly couldnt leave my dog sleeping out in conditions like this while im tucked up cosy in bed. Whats the harm in letting them sleepinside at night?? Also it would be fine to leave them out during the day and sleep in then at night. During the day they will be keeping themselves warm by playing, running about etc.

You say you dont allow them in the house much, so when do they get to spend time with you and your family? Dogs need company.

If the dogs were trained properly and exercised enough, there shouldnt be a problem with your kids.

I appreciate the first part of your advice, but the second part is kind of sanctimonious, whether intended or not.

With all due respect, I dont care if a dog is trained by the Dog whisperer himself, I will not be leaving them alone inside or outside with my son at his age (in a few years of course) , it would be irresponsible for aybody to do so. My dogs get regular daily excercise and the family spends time with them in the back. For the record I had my dogs before my wife was even pregnant and they still have the same routine!

I shouldnt of bothered posting more information (and wont in future), as you get people presuming the worst of you and preaching things that arent asked. I know boards.ie people on the animals section care for their pets, but it serves no purpose to start making insinuations ("when do you and your family get time to spend with them" etc) to owners who dont conform with your own standards.

I asked if its ok to let my dogs in at night and out during the day, not because I dont give a sh&t about them, but because I do care and I want to make sure I do it right.

I appreciate the first part of your advice, but the second part is kind of sanctimonious, whether intended or not.

With all due respect, I dont care if a dog is trained by the Dog whisperer himself, I will not be leaving them alone inside or outside with my son at his age (in a few years of course) , it would be irresponsible for aybody to do so. My dogs get regular daily excercise and the family spends time with them in the back. For the record I had my dogs before my wife was even pregnant and they still have the same routine!

I shouldnt of bothered posting more information (and wont in future), as you get people presuming the worst of you and preaching things that arent asked. I know boards.ie people on the animals section care for their pets, but it serves no purpose to start making insinuations ("when do you and your family get time to spend with them" etc) to owners who dont conform with your own standards.

I asked if its ok to let my dogs in at night and out during the day, not because I dont give a sh&t about them, but because I do care and I want to make sure I do it right.

Hold on a second, please show me where did i say to leave your dogs alone with your son??:confused:

Secondly, where did i presume anything?? i asked you a question in regard to the information you posted:confused:

You asked is it ok to leave a dog out in this weather and i explained exactly whey they shouldnt be, so i gave you advice on what you asked and explained fully why they shouldnt be left outside at night.

In my "opinion" you shouldnt even have to ask whether to bring a dog inside in this type of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Well, our three cats haven't shown the slightest bit of interest in going outside for the last few days and are invariably spending as much time as possible doing this:

Hold on a second, please show me where did i say to leave your dogs alone with your son??:confused:

Secondly, where did i presume anything?? i asked you a question in regard to the information you posted:confused:

You asked is it ok to leave a dog out in this weather and i explained exactly whey they shouldnt be, so i gave you advice on what you asked and explained fully why they shouldnt be left outside at night.

In my "opinion" you shouldnt even have to ask whether to bring a dog inside in this type of weather.

Edit: Thanks for advice I didnt ask for and some snotty comments to round it off. . Lets leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I have 3 dogs, a Rottie, a Spitz and Chihuahua. Normal routine is the two bigger dogs are outside when I am not home and inside when I am (except at night), however in this weather they are in 24/7. No breed of dog would be adequately equiped to deal with the current weather conditions, especially at night. When your dogs are running around they are generating heat by burning calories as soon as they are still and/or sleeping the bodies quickly cool down.
    As for your fear of them knocking your child over, I'm afraid that's up to you to ensure doesn't happen, my 3 are conditioned to be quiet in the house as this is what I expect of them when they are inside.
    As for warning signs they are cold, you probably won't see many, most animals have evolved not to show pain etc. so it would be pretty hard to tell but I could almost guarantee they are in this weather.

1. Why did you bother mentioning "training your dogs" in relation to my son if you didnt in somehow have the misguided belief that training a dog to sit or be obedient means they wont snap at your child when they are pulling their whiskers or upsetting the animal. At this age you cant train a child in respecting your pets, even with the best will in the world. (I can only presume you dont have children if you neglected this "minor" thing)

2.You preached to me about dogs needing company (something I didnt ask you for advice on). You only preach to people if you think they need advice on something you feel they neglect to know themselves. Therefore you presumed I needed more dog advice on a completely differant topic unrelated to my post.

3. For your presumption See 2. Also, you asked me when I get to spend time with them. What business is that of yours ? You put 2 and 2 and came up with an answer "bad owner by default".

4. In relation to your final snotty sentance, why dont you get pissy with the OP if you feel so desperatly upset about the cruelty you've presumed (see 1 for explanation) I bestow on my dogs by having the cheek to ask other owners for advice on a pet forum. I have springer collies with big coats, have them in a kennel in a shed with plenty of bedding, the OP has a boxer in a shed, yet you felt compelled to get high and mighty with me . .

Sorry but im not the one getting snotty:rolleyes:

You said your dogs were big etc and you didnt want them around your son and i explained if they were trained properly then they would be safe around your son and wouldnt knock him over. I know plenty of people with dogs and kids that live together safely in the home.
    I didnt preach to you, i asked you a question, and said in one sentence that dogs need company, seriously, read back my post. If you think that one short sentence saying that dogs need company is preaching then you are the one with the problem, not me.
    You posted the information and i replied to the info you posted.

I didnt come up with any answer by default, i asked a question in reply to the info you posted, you are now putting words in my mouth, so stop please.
    I never mentioned the word cruelty:confused:, again, you putting words in my mouth. Ill say it again, i did presume anything and cruelty was never mentioned and i got far from high and mighty:rolleyes:

Sorry but im not the one getting snotty:rolleyes:

You said your dogs were big etc and you didnt want them around your son and i explained if they were trained properly then they would be safe around your son and wouldnt knock him over. I know plenty of people with dogs and kids that live together safely in the home.
    I didnt preach to you, i asked you a question, and said in one sentence that dogs need company, seriously, read back my post. If you think that one short sentence saying that dogs need company is preaching then you are the one with the problem, not me.
    You posted the information and i replied to the info you posted.

I didnt come up with any answer by default, i asked a question in reply to the info you posted, you are now putting words in my mouth, so stop please.
    I never mentioned the word cruelty:confused:, again, you putting words in my mouth. Ill say it again, i did presume anything and cruelty was never mentioned and i got far from high and mighty:rolleyes:
    In my "opinion" you shouldnt even have to ask whether to b
    ring a dog inside in this type of weather.

In my opinion, this is high and mighty . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My cat turned up! She was ravenous and once she had a feed was in by the fire.

When I had dogs they lived outside but in an insulated kennel with a flap over the door in winter. Would have them inside in weather like this.
    A proper shed would do but the best thing if you don't want them is a boiler house if you have one. Nice and warm for them and you just open the door in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kowloon wrote: »
    My cat turned up! She was ravenous and once she had a feed was in by the fire.

When I had dogs they lived outside but in an insulated kennel with a flap over the door in winter. Would have them inside in weather like this.
    A proper shed would do but the best thing if you don't want them is a boiler house if you have one. Nice and warm for them and you just open the door in the morning.

Ah so glad. It is worrying and even with our two we are glad when they are safe in.

Dogs need more than shelter etc; they need their people. I am sure that you did nto mean "if you don;t want them" to sound as it i did, but it expresses the truth perfectly.

But this sadly is a part of Irish culture. One we have no intention of accepting or following.

The deep content of a dog that is near its owner inside at night bears no comparison with the rapturous welcome in a morning after a night of separation. OF course there is rapture; poor pooch has missed you so much.

Advertisement