Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sail training voyages - options for adults for September?

Options
  • 29-06-2015 2:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A friend and I are thinking of doing a sail training course. We have seen the Sail Training Ireland have a voyage from the 16th to the 26th of August and it would appear to be very good value. We have come against two problems though which I was hoping somebody here could offer some advice on.

a) I am busy with work in August but would be free and easy come september. STI have nothing then. Is there any other operators who run voyages in September? Either from an Irish or British base?

b)STI would appear to be orientated a lot towards youth groups etc. We are both nearly 29 and the cutoff for STI's August voyage is 27. I don't seem to be turning up much else in the way of training voyages that are open to all age groups. As with a), are there other operators out there?

Any advice or suggestions anyone could offer with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you folks!

EDIT: I should point out that we are both n00bs. No sailing experience that would be of any relevance. Something that would accept beginners would be necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Do you specifically want to do a tall-ship voyage?

Since the Asgard went down, sail training places on tall ships in this country are few and far between. And as you pointed out, they're mostly aimed at young(er) folk.

You could do a conventional course on a yacht - there are loads of sailing schools around the country. You haven't mentioned where you are in the country, but there's Irish Offshore Sailing in Dun Laoghaire, Michael Caine in Carlingford (although I think he may be retired now?) - those are two I just happen to know of, I have no connention with either (apart from having done courses with Michael Caine).

There's also the INSC in Dun Laoghaire where you can start on smaller boats again - sportsboats, squibs, and possibly dinghies. (By far the best introduction to / way to learn sailing IMO!)

You can do a short weekend course that will lead to competent crew certs, or Day Skipper, or you could do a longer course that will bring you more in terms of experience.

There must be a geansai-load of sailing schools in the Cork area, and there must be loads of others around the place as well. I'm sure others will be able to name some and recommend (if that's allowed).

Give us a bit more detail about what it is you want, and where you are, and I'm sure you'll get all the advice you need!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I find the notion of a longer tall ship voyage a very interesting adventure. Aside from the actual sailing experience I imagine it is an intense character building experience too. I like the idea of challenge involved in undertaking a voyage like that and having to work with people in a team.

I am in Cork. I see there are several sailing schools in the area but tbh, a lot of what they offer seem to be shorter weekend type courses and if I'm honest they seem quite expensive for what's on offer.

The STI course seems a great adventure but is unworkable for us.

What I have just seen is offerings by these crowds in the UK:
    http://www.adventureundersail.com/
    http://tallships.org

They are doing voyages into september and beyond, many of which are 10 days plus. And in terms of bang for buck, they are much much better value for money. There is one there I looked at, 10 nights for £800.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

They're quite different animals, really.

You'll get much more individual tuition and attention and experience on a smaller boat, and if it's the actual sailing that interests you then the smaller the boat you start on the better.

However I can see your point re the adventure and teamwork and the other aspects of a sail training trip.

A pal of mine is involved with a UK non-profit sail training organisation (not one of the ones you've mentioned) - if you've any specific questions you can PM me and I can pass them on if you like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I get your drift on them being different animals and the smaller boat = more attention = more sailing skill at courses end. But I suppose I'm not so much interested in becoming a competent sailor, rather just having the unique experience that a voyage would involve.

I'll PM you.

Advertisement