Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hannibal [NBC/Sky Living] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

Fridays are turning into a great TV night. Elementary, New Girl, Parks & Rec, Person of Interest and now this which looks like quality as well! All I need now is a few good beers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I really enjoyed this, great cast. Completely pisses over The Following.

Mild spoilers ahead.
    Going from the first episode it seems each episode may turn into a case of the week. Hopefully it doesn't go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Not always crazy on the monster of the week format, but I'll give this a go.
    I'm fearful they will just be stealing the basic plot of RD and SOTL, where the good doctor offers his advice to help catch other killers, only this time not from behind bars and without the FBI knowing the full extent of his expertise’s.
    I am interested to see how they prolong Graham and Lector's relationship before his arrest, if it just consists of Hannibal sounding off clever metaphors to give Graham clues while he nods with approval, it could get tiresome quite quickly.
    But the other series that comes to mind in a reimaging of a famous movie franchise is the Sarah Connor Chronicles, and I have to say I enjoyed what achieved with that (Before it was cut short), so it's possible here for sure.
    Anyone hear when it's starts on Sky Living?
    Also like the episode names..
    1 "Apéritif"
    2 "Amuse-Bouche"
    3 "Potage"
    4 "Œuf"
    7 "Entrée"
    13 "Savoureux"

Graham and Lectors scenes together were very good. I won't say too much in case I spoil anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The thread has [** Spoilers **] in the title, so speak freely about any episodes that have aired.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Generally enjoyed it. Better than The Following, which lumbered from one bad scene to the next. Thought the middle parts were the best. Of course, TV diagnosis du jour means Graham's autistic - thought they did a pretty good job with his anxiety. The relationship between him and Hannibal looks interesting and entertaining. Not so keen on the victim of the week business. Didn't think it was impactful as say, Forbrydelsen or The Bridge, though both of those are one ongoing case, their storytelling sensibility is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

freaky, didn't know what was going on for half of it, could you not just look at lecter and know he's a pyscho,

thats 3 serial killer shows this season

A couple questions on the first episode;
    Did Lector kill the girl to help Graham?
    Did he warn the killer to draw him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Ipso wrote: »
    A couple questions on the first episode;
    Did Lector kill the girl to help Graham?
    Did he warn the killer to draw him out?

The girl found in the field was missing her lungs which Lector was cutting up and then seen eating in a following scene. I also got the impression some leftovers were in the breakfast he shared with Graham.

I think he warned the killer more to mess with Graham's head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Meh...it's just another Dexter.

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yeay, another dexter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I just saw this pop up online and watched it knowing nothing about it. At first I thought the main character was supposed to be Hannibal up until Hannibal showed up.

It's interesting in that vague, I don't really know what's going on here sort of way.

It seems Hannibal is just setting scenes to confuse the detectives rather than having an MO?

Is the main character actually FBI? At the start it seemed he wasn't but towards the end he's armed and identifying himself as an FBI agent. Was he just retired or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

really loved it, big fan of mads so loved his take on hannibal.
    Only negative thing I have to say is it was a bit hard to understand what he was saying sometimes.
    Apart from that, very strong opening episode, really looking forward to more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is the main character actually FBI? At the start it seemed he wasn't but towards the end he's armed and identifying himself as an FBI agent. Was he just retired or something?

In TV land, I think they say people like him are consultants to the FBI rather than agents - like Walter in Fringe. I can't remember what if anything was said in the pilot, but yeah, Will had a gun ready to go pretty sharp ish when he needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

In TV land, I think they say people like him are consultants to the FBI rather than agents - like Walter in Fringe. I can't remember what if anything was said in the pilot, but yeah, Will had a gun ready to go pretty sharp ish when he needed it.

This is explained in the 1986 film Manhunter (essential viewing for anyone who hasn't seen it). I'm going to spoiler this just in case it happens to be a story thread in this show:
    In Manhunter, Graham is an FBI agent who has been off sick / put out to pasture due to mental problems arising from delving too deep into the mind of a previous serial killer. Hence the warnings in the new show about not letting him get "too close" to the case. As it happens, in the film, the previous case was in fact Lecter so looks like they've just taken some of the plot points for the show.

a Se7en style killing, v gruesome

...He felt powerful

nice line

I've mixed feelings about it now, but I'll give it a few more episodes, anyway. I'm not convinced it's stepped away from the likes of CSI et al that much, though I think some elements are making it stand on its own merits. The body garden seemed particularly gruesome. I think the weekly killers need a bit more background and motivation, not just insight from Will or digging up evidence, but I know the show is about him (and Hannibal, quite charming this week), so the other killers will fall secondary to him, which I don't mind, really.

I didn't like the tabloid hack, not that we're meant to, but the scene where they briefly handcuffed her was little OTT. Plus, Jack Crawford needs some better dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,786 ✭✭✭✭Basq

After watching the first two episodes and I really like it.

Definitely felt different to your normal crime type drama.. and some of the visuals in it are superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

This is explained in the 1986 film Manhunter (essential viewing for anyone who hasn't seen it). I'm going to spoiler this just in case it happens to be a story thread in this show:
    In Manhunter, Graham is an FBI agent who has been off sick / put out to pasture due to mental problems arising from delving too deep into the mind of a previous serial killer. Hence the warnings in the new show about not letting him get "too close" to the case. As it happens, in the film, the previous case was in fact Lecter so looks like they've just taken some of the plot points for the show.

Going to give this a watch, I'm enjoying the show so far but some bits are a bit cringe. Nice to have something fresh to watch every week again. All I watch is crime/cop shows!

I'm really liking this show. Some pretty excellent visuals so far, which does set it aside from other TV shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

First episode was a bit meh, second episode ramped up a good bit, looking forward to episode 3 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I'm enjoying it. Mads Mikkelsen plays it just right as Lecter - although I suspect he could do softly-spoken psychopaths in his sleep by now - and the support cast is solid.

I have a few things that I'll be interested to see work out. I'm probably the opposite of Ipso, insofar as I prefer to see a case of the week rather than an overarching season storyline. It always reminds me of how the X Files in their later years went from their patented Spooky of The Week (Tooms, the Peacock Family etc) to the grand conspiracies. It just feels like a show running out of ideas.

So it'll be interesting to see what structure the show takes. Also whether Will starts to twig that Lecter is not the full shilling (or rather, when). A lot will depend on the quality of the baddies du jour. They need to be varied and surprising.

We'll also see how the visual tricks pan out. Some shows use them successfully for years - Cold Case and its flashbacks for example - so I wonder how well the Will-in-the-killer's-place device will hold up. Dancy will do well to stand up on screen to Mikkelsen on one side and Fishburne on the other. It's vital to the show that Will holds the attention in the same way Lecter does.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,373 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Starts 7th of May 2013 on Sky Living

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'm not that impressed so far. The show feels like a bog standard 'Criminal Minds' procedural with a serial killer of the week format when it could have been so much more.
    I hate what the producers have done with Graham. Making references to him as Asperger's sufferer feels cheap and reductive, it just reaks of some producer pacing around a room shouting, 'but what's his hook? People love a flawed detective with a quirk, like that 'Monk' show! I know, make him the autistic detective!' It's that kind of blundering stupidity that sorta ignores the fact that people that suffer from autism and aspergers tend to have a great deal of difficulty with empathy and emotional intelligence.
    In fact the whole 'empath' thing really bugged me, Graham seems to use it like a super power to magically pluck clues out of the air in a manner that feels more like a lazy writer using a crap plot device to write himself out of a corner then it does a brilliant detective intuiting a pattern in the chaos of a murder scene.

As for where the show might go. Who knows. I had been sort of hoping that it would center around Hannibal's practice, with Wil refered to him as his psychiatrist, who is supposed to help him deal with the stresses of his caseload, as well as the some of the ancillary characters that he treats in the books. There would be endless scope for mind games and clever detective work, instead we get a routine procedural.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Sitec wrote: »
    Going to give this a watch, I'm enjoying the show so far but some bits are a bit cringe. Nice to have something fresh to watch every week again. All I watch is crime/cop shows!

Manhunter? You should! It's relatively unknown, but still the best 'Hannibal Lecter' movie. Unfortunately it's the Anthony Hopkins versions that get the attention, but Manhunter is Michael Mann at the top of his game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Agree completely with Conorhal. This show could have been something great. Stellar cast, wonderful material and so far from the first two episodes a very good production team behind the show. I really think whoever made this has missed a huge trick for what could have been by trying to turn it into yet another police procedural admittedly with a slightly cool twist. It's almost a complete ripoff of that other paint by numbers procedural show called Criminal Minds.

Saying all that for what it is then it has been quite decent but it had the potential with the ingredients to be something special which is what's so infuriating. I guess it's hard to argue that it's just giving audiences what they want as the sheer number of them airing will testify towards. Mads Mikkelsen is fantastic in the role, shame that such great fit is going to go to waste.

Opr

one presumes all those shows were all trying to copy manhunter/silence of the lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Third episode was really good. Veered away from the motw narrative and kept the story moving at a good pace. The production value and acting are a cut above in this show.

Opr

• Advertisement

Watched the first episode and enjoyed it. It's very much a procedural with all the usual tropes and cliches on display but visually it's leagues ahead of any other.

Graham is quite a poor character, gone is the resourceful, intelligent, hard ass of Michael Mann's exceptional Manhunter and replaced by a whiny, broken man who has all the tics and social anxieties that producers love. He's such a cliched character here that one can't help but think of a dozen others, thankfully at least he's a little more interesting than Reed from Criminsl Minds.

The killer of the week angle is disappointing but I'm hoping that the overall story will come to the fore early on. Would be nice to see each season adapt one of the novels and expand upon them.

Hannibal himself is a really interesting character and far more likeable and charismatic than Joe from The Following. Hannibal has a lot in common with the Following yet succeeds where the Following fails. There's a lot of vicious, nasty violence on display here but it feels necessary and there's never a sense that its there to titillate or that the show revels in its depravity.

Advertisement