Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marine Ply - 4mm

• 14-06-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

Looking through previous threads on the same topic they all seem quite old so I hope I'm forgiven for throwing up once again what is probably a regular question.

I've ordered plans for an open canoe which I hope to get started on before the end of the summer.
    It is the sourcing of 4-5mm sheets of marine ply reasonably locally that I am wondering about.
    Any ideas for Sligo/Northwest region?
    Brooks do 6mm but this size would be too heavy I'd imagine.
    Has anyone here used exterior grade ply for similar purpose?
    The craft would ultimately be glassed with epoxy resin & 6oz cloth and maybe some marine varnish.

Thanks Folks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'm not sure about Sligo but you can get it here http://www.timberireland.ie/sheet_material.html and http://woodworkers.ie/prices/p_sheet_plywood.shtml they should deliver. I would stay away from exterior grade it has a lot more voids and is not as strong so if you have any bending to do it may not hold up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Thanks for that Ferg, appreciated!
    I'm reckoning that I'll have to go with such options but I'd like to have the opportunity to view the sheets beforehand if at all possible. As I'm going for a clear unpainted finish I'd like to choose sheets that have an attractive grain but probably going to be pot luck I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

So chatting to local lumber suppliers and it seems that I'm likely gonna have to source my sheets of marine ply online.
    My plans arrived a few days back and I've been flicking through them reading 'em through before I get cracking. So while I'd like to inspect my sheets prior to purchasing it seems unlikely to be possible.
    What has people's experience been in regards to the quality of ply sheets that were bought online?
    Voids, lamination, finish etc? ?

Thanks folks!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Make sure it's BS1088 grade and you should be fine don't be temped by the cheeper Chinese plywood even if they are CE certified they are crap :) tell the supplier what you are looking for they value your custom and will want to keep you happy so if you tell them that you want to show the face of the plywood with nice graining I'm sure they will pick it out for you.

Advertisement