Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NRA 2008 Funding Allocation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

"Compulsory Purchase Order for Carrigtowhill to Midleton" ?

is that land to build improved junction or are they going for a new offline build ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

They're rebuilding junctions and putting parallel roads to stop direct access. Also, they're building some roads in surrounding areas to open up new land banks for construction.

Maps, details etc ->
    http://www.corkrdo.ie/n25_carrigtwohill_midleton_interchanges_publications.php

Obviously going to remove the traffic lights outside of the Amgen site ? That decision was just lubicrous.

Will this bring it up to HQDC standard.

Its about time in my opinion. I've nearly got rear ended at times when slowdown for the Waterrock Golf Course turn off. The turn right junction going accross two lanes of traffic too was a bad idea, not just for cross two lanes of traffic, but for the fact that cars were braking in the fast lane to take this turn.

By the looks of it yeah, it'll be up to HQDC after. Traffic lights will go, they were only put there by Amgen as a temporary measure because this scheme was late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Its clear that 2008 funding is geared towards getting the inter urbans finished.

2009 figures will be very interesting.

Castleisland should've been more of a priority. As Kerry is an important tourist/business destination, it's turning into one huge barrier in terms of easy access. In general that entire route down from Limerick still needs serious work. But for some reason Castleisland is the biggest bottleneck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Its clear that 2008 funding is geared towards getting the inter urbans finished.

2009 figures will be very interesting.

Castleisland should've been more of a priority. As Kerry is an important tourist/business destination, it's turning into one huge barrier in terms of easy access. In general that entire route down from Limerick still needs serious work. But for some reason Castleisland is the biggest bottleneck.

Have to agree. I was down that way a good bit of late and have to say Kerry has very poor access via road. Abbeyfeale, Newcastlewest are two others on the route..I was very surprised not to see Castleisland in the figures, it's a saga that has dragged on for far too long..

Castleisland badly needs to be done. Traffic nightmare.

On the other side, its nice to see that Cork to Ballyvourney is progressing nicely.

HQDC all the way to Macroom with 2+1 to the new road just outside Ballyvourney ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Castleisland badly needs to be done. Traffic nightmare.

On the other side, its nice to see that Cork to Ballyvourney is progressing nicely.

HQDC all the way to Macroom with 2+1 to the new road just outside Ballyvourney ?

I remember seeing here before that the only bit of Dual Carriageway planned for Cork-Tralee is the Ballincollig bypass and the Tralee one, the rest being mere single Carriageway(in contrat Limerick-Tralee will have Dual Carriageway from where it is already to Abbeyfeale, and of course the Tralee bypass, though the Dual Carriageway is only the standard one rather than the Motorway standard type), though now that the NRA want to use 2+2's, maybe we will get this instead(IMHO it should be nothing less than HQDC/Motorway all the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Right too E92! All national primaries should be either motorway, HQDC or 2+2s depending on how busy they are.

There's an article in the Kingdom about Castleisland: E4 million for compulsory purchase of land to facilitate bypass.

http://www.the-kingdom.ie/news/story/?trs=cwgbmhgbsn

Looks as if the NRA want to go with a 2+2 minimum for N25 Cork to Waterford.

The Kilmackthomas bypass is to be upgraded to 2+2. Add in the fact that there is to be HQDC to Youghal and a new Dungarvan bypass, 2+2 on the Southernmost stretch of the Atlantic corridor looks likely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

*ahem*

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055227010

As for the Cork roads, as mentioned elsewhere could they not have found the money for the Sarsfield Road and Bandon Road flyovers, the Traffic is just getting worse and worse, Crawling all the way from the Kinsale flyover to the bandon Road roundabout everyday does my nut in!, There is discussion about the South Ring getting a Motorway order, Flyovers first!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

*ahem*

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055227010

As for the Cork roads, as mentioned elsewhere could they not have found the money for the Sarsfield Road and Bandon Road flyovers, the Traffic is just getting worse and worse, Crawling all the way from the Kinsale flyover to the bandon Road roundabout everyday does my nut in!, There is discussion about the South Ring getting a Motorway order, Flyovers first!
    Good point man, this scheme is in the middle of a city, it's much more urgent than some of the other stuff that's getting through. I dunno how Cork-Midleton is getting an upgrade ahead of it, when it's some distance outside the city and is already dualler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

spacetweek wrote: »
    Good point man, this scheme is in the middle of a city, it's much more urgent than some of the other stuff that's getting through. I dunno how Cork-Midleton is getting an upgrade ahead of it, when it's some distance outside the city and is already dualler.

Agreed.

But which politician shouted the loudest?

Nationally........

WRC
    METRO
    LUAS
    ROADS

When........

Interconnector
    Surburban Rail
    Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford bus services
    Navan
    Dublin Bus

Should all come before.

I can't wait until 2015 and its all still a complete mess.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Agreed.

But which politician shouted the loudest?

Nationally........

WRC
    METRO
    LUAS
    ROADS

When........

Interconnector
    Surburban Rail
    Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford bus services
    Navan
    Dublin Bus

Should all come before.

I can't wait until 2015 and its all still a complete mess.

If you've ever gone outside of Dublin and travel on some of the "high quality" roads that exist in this country you'l know that the new safer roads can't come soon enough.

Plus from a purely safety aspect (and nothing else) having people sit in a traffic jam at Sarsfield is harmless while dualling an under-threshold AADT on the N9 is a safety bonus.

Still doesnt account for parts of the N20, but thats politics. Also explains Cork-Midleton, as thats got a ton of median crossings and some of the slip roads are filled with deep potholes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Right too E92! All national primaries should be either motorway, HQDC or 2+2s depending on how busy they are.

Even the N29????! Or the N23, or Ns30-33? None of those roads really need to be dual carriageways (especially not the N29...)

The major interurbans, and most of the N11 and the Atlantic Corridor will be upgraded to at least 2+2 standard eventually though. The N21 will hopefully be on the list to see upgrades in forthcoming years.

icdg wrote: »
    Even the N29????! Or the N23, or Ns30-33? None of those roads really need to be dual carriageways (especially not the N29...)

The major interurbans, and most of the N11 and the Atlantic Corridor will be upgraded to at least 2+2 standard eventually though. The N21 will hopefully be on the list to see upgrades in forthcoming years.

I'd imagine you could add the N24 to roads which will eventually get 2+2 treatment. Very important route linking Galway and Limerick with Waterford and Wexford.

Niall1234 wrote: »
    I'd imagine you could add the N24 to roads which will eventually get 2+2 treatment. Very important route linking Galway and Limerick with Waterford and Wexford.

Surely a road of the importance of this, connecting the third and fourth biggest cities in the republic, should be a HQDC/Motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they may be the 3rd and 4th biggest cities (actually isn't galway bigger than waterford?) but they're still not that big and I doubt the traffic levels justify building a motorway.

loyatemu wrote: »
    they may be the 3rd and 4th biggest cities (actually isn't galway bigger than waterford?) but they're still not that big and I doubt the traffic levels justify building a motorway.

My apologies, you're right(about the city size), but if Limerick-Galway is getting Dual Carriageway all the way, and even HQDC in places, then why not Limerick-Waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

E92 wrote: »
    My apologies, you're right(about the city size), but if Limerick-Galway is getting Dual Carriageway all the way, and even HQDC in places, then why not Limerick-Waterford?
    Size and distance. Limerick-Waterford is further than Limerick-Galway. Waterford is smaller than Galway. Both points will suggest fewer journeys on Limerick-Waterford.

I don't know what the actual journey numbers are like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

All traffic from Kerry/Limerick to Mayo, Sligo, Donegal, Derry etc will also pass along the Limerick - Galway route, beyond Waterford there is only Wexford, maybe a few trucks to Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Bards

ardmacha wrote: »
    All traffic from Kerry/Limerick to Mayo, Sligo, Donegal, Derry etc will also pass along the Limerick - Galway route, beyond Waterford there is only Wexford, maybe a few trucks to Rosslare.

The N24 is the best route from the S.E region to the Mid/West & West. It is a national strategic corridor linking the ports of Waterford & Rosslare with Shannon/Foynes and as such should be developed to at least 2+2 if not HQDC

icdg wrote: »

I did say depending on how busy they are. :rolleyes:

It would be a lot cheaper to make the N33 a 2+2 road to connect to the N2 at Ardee, with N2 as 2+2 or HQDC to the border, linking to the A5 dual-carriageway.

Victor wrote: »
    Size and distance. Limerick-Waterford is further than Limerick-Galway. Waterford is smaller than Galway. Both points will suggest fewer journeys on Limerick-Waterford.

I don't know what the actual journey numbers are like though.

Limerick-Waterford is only ca. 120km, compared to Limerick-Galway (ca. 105km), plus Clonmel, with a growing population is 50km from Waterford.

2+2 on the N24 would be justified, especially in terms of future-proofing.

I think the whole of the N24 will be 2+2, but not HQDC. HQDC isnt warrented really, but as long as they leave space to upgrade any problematic roundabouts to GSJ at a later date, it should be ok.

Advertisement