Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 schemes to go to construction and other general infos

Options
  • 29-01-2008 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=10181&lang=ENG&loc=2260

2008 stuff.
    #
    A total of €1.68 billion of funding for the National Roads Programme under Transport 21/NDP will be allocated in 2008. This funding will finance 434 projects throughout the country.
    #
    Work will commence in 2008 on the final four outstanding projects that will complete the Major Inter-Urban (MIUs). The projects concerned are (N7) Castletown to Nenagh; (N7) Newlands/Cross; (N9) Carlow Knocktopher; (N9) Kilcullen to Carlow. The NRA is now on track to complete the four remaining MIUs by 2010. (Dublin to the Border-Belfast was completed in 2007)
    #
    As of January 1, 2008 approximately 458 km of new roads are under construction.
    #
    169km of new road construction will commence in 2008. Projects will include the 27km (N9) Killcullen to Carlow; the 40km (N9) Carlow to Knocktopher; the 36km (N7) Castletown to Nenagh; the 28km (N18) Oranmore to Gort; the 22km (N18) Gort to Crusheen; the 14km (N52) Tullamore Bypass and the 2km (N7) Newlands Cross upgrade.
    #
    100km of new roads will be completed in 2008. The projects are; 29 km N6 Kilbeggan to Athlone; 19km N9 Carlow Bypass; 40 km N8 Cashel to Mitchelstown including a 3km N24 Cahir Bypass and the 10km M50 Upgrade Phases 1 and 3.
    #
    The tender process for the construction of the N11 Arklow / Rathnew scheme will commence in 2008. This project represents the last remaining link in the N11 Dublin to Gorey route.
    #
    €15 million has been allocated towards road safety measures.
    #
    Phase 1 and 3 of the M50 upgrade will be completed this year. (Between the Ballmount and Blanchardstown Junctions)
    #
    Barrier-free electronic tolling will commence operation in August 2008 allowing drivers to benefit from the removal of the West-link toll plaza.
    #
    Eight projects are moving forward into the Compulsory Purchase Order stage in 2008 and the projects are (N4) Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod; (N11) Enniscorthy Bypass; (N15) Ballybofey / Stranolar Bypass; (N22) Tralee Bypass; (N22) Ballyvourney to Mcroom; (N25) Carrigtwohill to Midleton; (N56) Mountcharles to Inver and (N85) Ballyconnell Inner Relief Road.

Thoughts?

To me, the N11 scheme smacks of political pressure to do a scheme that should be somewhat down the list of priorities - I realise it needs doing but other schemes need doing more.

Good to see the Macroom bypass finally gathering steam, that town is a joke thesedays.

Very little will be finished this year, but then there is a lot in construction and its just the way its happened that little will complete.

Also good to see the remaining N18 schemes going ahead, but that was fairly common knowledge.

Still stubbornly no movement in 2008 on the N20 Mallow-Croom, or the grade separation of the Bandon/Sarsfield roundabouts on the N25. Although I'm sure they're needed, the schemes on the N15, N56 and N85 shouldnt be so important.

The attention the N11 is getting is a bit baffling now, especially with the Mallow-Croom section of the N20 still sitting in near ruins.

Also the fact that the interurbans will be 4 years (or more) late is really starting to hurt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=10181&lang=ENG&loc=2260

2008 stuff.

Thoughts?

To me, the N11 scheme smacks of political pressure to do a scheme that should be somewhat down the list of priorities - I realise it needs doing but other schemes need doing more.

Good to see the Macroom bypass finally gathering steam, that town is a joke thesedays.

Very little will be finished this year, but then there is a lot in construction and its just the way its happened that little will complete.

Also good to see the remaining N18 schemes going ahead, but that was fairly common knowledge.

Still stubbornly no movement in 2008 on the N20 Mallow-Croom, or the grade separation of the Bandon/Sarsfield roundabouts on the N25. Although I'm sure they're needed, the schemes on the N15, N56 and N85 shouldnt be so important.

The attention the N11 is getting is a bit baffling now, especially with the Mallow-Croom section of the N20 still sitting in near ruins.

Also the fact that the interurbans will be 4 years (or more) late is really starting to hurt.

You answered your own question Chris, Politics and making sure that all the regions are seen to have something, of course most Cork road users are far happier that we can get to Dublin quicker rather then upgrading the godawful N20 road and N25 Roundabouts:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Cashel - Mitchelstown being done this year is great news. It was supposed to be 2009(well 2006 I know really).

Now if they could get Fermoy - Mitchelstown done(in fairness there is plenty of work going on there) and upgrade all those High Quality Dual Carriageways to Motorways and put a proper speed limit on them that would be wonderful.

By the way, as I passed through Buttevant on Sunday, as you look behind the Church I noticed what looks like a road getting ready to be built(there was all earth there the width of a Dual Carriageway road a good few hundred yards behind the Church), any ideas on what's going on there, as I thought nothing was going to be done on the Cork-Limerick road for ages?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Newlands Cross - yay, extended commute times for me for the next two years at least :(

I have to move south of Tallaght....

Any plans for whats going to be put in available?

Found some: http://roads.southdublin.ie/dmdocuments/Newlands%20Cross%20EIS/Chapter%2001.pdf

Looks EXTREMELY constrained from that, notice the massive merge lanes too. The Esso garage and Joels won't be too happy...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Do you not remember the Belfast Rosslare motorway promised for centuries and of which the M50 is only a small and clooged up part . Now it ends in Gorey , 30 miles short :(
    I'm sure they're needed, the schemes on the N15, N56 and N85 shouldnt be so important.

Donegal gets special attention thanks to its remoteness and overall economic disadvantage. The N15 is part of the route that begins at the N20 in Cork .

No ministers in s limerick and n Cork. The minister of Finance wants Tullamore bypassed, it will be so !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Chris:

I can understand the attention on the "missing" section of the N11 as it does seem to have had its share of accidents.

I agree that it's disappointing that yet again the N20 seems to be off the map. It's genuinely detrimental to commerce between Limerick and Cork, not to mention some bits of the road being dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the pressure on the N11 is as a result of a number of fatal accidents last year. Having a long stretch of motorway with a short stretch of bad single carriageway bang in the middle is fundamentally unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LemmingMuppet

loyatemu wrote: »
    the pressure on the N11 is as a result of a number of fatal accidents last year. Having a long stretch of motorway with a short stretch of bad single carriageway bang in the middle is fundamentally unsafe.

Have the bits either side been designated high grade dual carriageway yet? I was on it last week and the limits were still signed as 100kph. Does anyone know if the rozzers are enforcing the limit on these bits? ie. Has anyone been caught/pulled over for doing 120kph on a dual carriageway between Clogh and Kilpedder in the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Don't even get me started on the N20, the road that links irelands 2nd and 3rd cities... its madness,
    A bit off point but I heard there last year that the irish government were funding a road in derry, christ like it was part of some all-ireland sharing thing... how they could see that the money could be better spent in derry than on the N20 I don't know, were no the ones getting funding from the UK like...

Anyone have any info on the N7 from Limerick to Nenagh. I assume thats progressing along

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Try telling that to the families of the numerous people killed in fatal accidents on this section of the N11 in recent times.

This stretch of road must have one of the highest numbers of accidents in the country and desperately needs updating.

It really has to be top of the pile.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Have the bits either side been designated high grade dual carriageway yet? I was on it last week and the limits were still signed as 100kph.

Because it is not a High Quality Dual Carriageway, which is identical to motorway standard but without restrictions. It looks like it most of the time, sure, but there are plenty of LILO junctions on the section through Wicklow (not to mention the Glen of the Downs section has a permanent 60 kph speed limit, cause its a nature reserve). I think there are even one or two median crossings just south of the M11 (which is a motorway and has a 120kph limit).

The Arklow and Gorey bypasses are even closer to motorway standard, even so, there is a single LILO junction (for a rugby club!!!) at the northern end of the Arklow bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

icdg wrote: »
    Because it is not a High Quality Dual Carriageway, which is identical to motorway standard but without restrictions. It looks like it most of the time, sure, but there are plenty of LILO junctions on the section through Wicklow (not to mention the Glen of the Downs section has a permanent 60 kph speed limit, cause its a nature reserve). I think there are even one or two median crossings just south of the M11 (which is a motorway and has a 120kph limit).

there are no median crossings on any of the dualled bits of the N11 anymore.

Its all 100km/h except for through Kilmac (a ludicrous 60 km/h and a popular hunting ground for the gardai) and a very short (and generally ignored) stretch of 80 km/h at Glen of the Downs (this is because of a sharp bend, nothing to do with the nature reserve)
    The Arklow and Gorey bypasses are even closer to motorway standard, even so, there is a single LILO junction (for a rugby club!!!) at the northern end of the Arklow bypass.

everything south of kilpedder is good enough for 120 km/h - maybe when they get rid of the single-carriageway bit they'll up the limit on the whole length...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Do you not remember the Belfast Rosslare motorway promised for centuries and of which the M50 is only a small and clogged up part . Now it ends in Gorey , 30 miles short :(

Agreed. I can't for the life of me figure out why they won't dual the road all the way to Rosslare. After all, given the volumes of trucks on the road, (which will only increase given that there doesn't seem to be any mention anywhere of rail freight), not to have a dual carriageway to a port seems crazy to me.

And my own 2 parochial cents. What about the N/M17? By all means upgrade the N18, but can someone please end the nightmare that is Claregalway? (Of course, if safety is the priority, it's hard for cars that are crawling at 6 miles per hour to do any damage ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

They're going upgrading the standard dual carriageways on the N8 and also a retro fitted dual carriageway on the N7 to Motorway, and presumably the accompanying speed limit upgrade, so there is absolutely no excuse to upgrade this road if what ye are saying about it being very close to HDQC standard is true.

In saying all that, I don't see why standard Dual Carriageways aren't allowed a speed limit of 110/120 and a speed limit on HQDCs(now going to be upgraded to motorways in plenty of cases with a bit of luck)/Motorways of at least 130 and preferably 140 if the motorway is of high enough standard.(I'd like higher but I don't think most Irish people would be capable of anything more than 130 if I'm being perfectly honest).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

E92 wrote: »
    They're going upgrading the standard dual carriageways on the N8 and also a retro fitted dual carriageway on the N7 to Motorway, and presumably the accompanying speed limit upgrade, so there is absolutely no excuse to upgrade this road if what ye are saying about it being very close to HDQC standard is true.

In saying all that, I don't see why standard Dual Carriageways aren't allowed a speed limit of 110/120 and a speed limit on HQDCs(now going to be upgraded to motorways in plenty of cases with a bit of luck)/Motorways of at least 130 and preferably 140 if the motorway is of high enough standard.(I'd like higher but I don't think most Irish people would be capable of anything more than 130 if I'm being perfectly honest).
    We have been hearing for years now that their changing the speed limit on some dual carriageways to motorway speed, I've yet to see this happen (or maybe there was one example of it in the east), but there are many roads that shouldbt be 100km/hr but instead 120km/hr, when will they ever change it...

edit: well thats timing for ya
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228345

Advertisement