Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just a few thoughts....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

Hi Everyone,
    A rare chance to visit today - it will get easier to get computer time here after July 1.

Maitri wrote:
    isn't there really urgent to do something to change this, not just to accept it?
    Isn't that a responsibility not to be taken to lightly?

Or is this a wrong way of thinking?

What is the best way to do something?

Stricktly speaking, from an enlightenment point of view and a buddhist point of view, it is the wrong way to think. Instead of "what to do?" the question needs to be "how to be?" Not "what do I do about the suffering of others", but "how do I respond". Have I truely solved the question of suffering to know how to be of help?

Here is a story Osho once told-
    A father of 12 goes to the Rabbi and laments about his many children, so many mouths to feed, not enough food, the house is too small, his wife is exhausted and cranky, and on and on. He starts sobbing and asks: "Rabbi, what do I do?" And the Rabbi answers: "Haven't you done enough? - Stop!"

We tend to self-righteously judge the suffering that "others" - corporations, govenments, groups and individuals - have caused and demonstratively go out and "help". Often people, meaning quite well and going all out for the suffering, end up harboring huge amounts of hostility and judgement within themselves, which from a buddhist point of view, contributes to the hostilities in the world.

Often, not really understanding situations we "help" and unintentionally cause more harm.

So what is the best way? In many ways this question is a Koan. "Helping" is a two-edged sword!

With meditation, much time in silence, and witnessing our still ongoing hostility and anger inside, we may find ourselves responding with "right action" to situations of suffering. What you are supposed to respond to, will show up in front of you. Your old neighbour's needs, a stray animal, a dying relatives child you may need to adopt, a corporation you may have to save from crooks, a country you may have to make very difficult decisions for, and so on and so on, all depending on your role in this vast ocean of beings. Your inner eye will know when to help and when not to interfere. It takes great humility, both to help, or not to help.

Also it should feel like a joy, even a passion, a calling - to help. If it is sacrifice, martyrdom, sefl-righteousness it will not last long or may even be misplaced or useless. If you love it with all your heart you will continue through the really hard times that are bound to come.
    Its the year 2006 and almost 1/3 of the world liv in poverty, its an absolute disgrace dat in this day and age we still brush it under the carpet and turn a blind eye to everything

"Liquidchild" - what a beautiful name. Yet you seem quite "unliquid" in your view of things. So many people in the world are making a difference. What do you think of Bill Gates' efforts? There are so many like him, at least here in the US, many you would never hear about. Helping smarter than governments and being effective, innovative, etc. 1/3 of the world in poverty? That means 2/3 aren't.

What percentage of this 1/3 would you say is responsible for its own poverty? Or should we always assume that all poverty is caused by others rather than maybe the culture or thinking of some of the ones living in poverty. Are all poor people innocent and all wealthy people evil?

From what I can see it is not a question of brushing things under the carpet or turning a blind eye, but the huge conundrum of how do you help people, many of whom are close to impossible to help. It is not that easy to help that 1/3 you speak of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Hi Everyone,
    A rare chance to visit today - it will get easier to get computer time here after July 1.

Nice to see you back, very nice post. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Hi Everybody! (And thank you Asia!:) )

Thank you for your answer, MeditationMom!:)
    I see your very good points in what you are saying to me.

Still I kind of see the very important question "How do I respond" and the question "What to do" as parts of the same thing.

It might be difficult to help wisely when one is not enlightened. I agree with that. But still I feel that ethical behaviour is very important also when one has not yet "seen the light".

For Buddhist practice isn't restricted "only" to "sitting", is it? It is, I feel, also about acting and about our relationships with other people at home and in our world.

And that helping others is good for us, too, since we are all interdependent. Buddhism teaches, as I understand it, that helping others creates good karma.

And then "How to respond" also in a way involves the question "what to do" to help others, so that everybody can be happy.

I am not enlightened, but still I have some small suggestions about what to do to help people that live in poverty (I don't believe they are better or worse that us, I believe they are exactly as we are or would be in the same situation).

One can for instance support organisations like:

Save the Children

SOS Childrens Villages

and

Amnesty International

(in Norway it's extremely easy (and cheap) to sign a petition to help to save someone, we can do it through a mobile phone)

One can buy fairtrade-products when possible (by the way, 7-eleven has some very nice fairtrade-coffee):

Fairtrade.ie

Oxfamireland

One can chose ecological dairy products and eggs (because they are not cruel to the animals and the environment)

And what about ethical Investment?
    It is not so nice to have money in a bank that supports weapon-industry and unfair and polluting trading, is it? Better with:

Ethical Investment?

This is not enough to save the world, but they are some few suggestions of things that can be done quite easily for oneself and for the world, without running a great risk of becoming neither a martyr nor to self-righteous, I believe.

It is not only that people need to be helped, but we really need to help, too.

Regards,

Maitri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Hi Everyone,

I read this 3 times, a great, intelligent, human, humane answer. When one is in one's twenties or a student it feels invigorating and strenghtening to be indignant. But burnout is inevitable. Only a constant vigilence on why you really act, what your motivations really are can save you.

tx MM!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

tx MM!
    You're welcome!!!

Maitri, you bring up good points and your list is a great start for anyone, enlightened or not. ;)

I think I did not do a good job explaining my point and will try again. I didn't mean to say that there is anythig wrong or unenlightened about helping others. Nothing could be further from the truth. As far as enlightenment goes, not helping others, makes absolutely no more sense at all.
    Maitri wrote:
    It might be difficult to help wisely when one is not enlightened. I agree with that. But still I feel that ethical behaviour is very important also when one has not yet "seen the light".

For Buddhist practice isn't restricted "only" to "sitting", is it? It is, I feel, also about acting and about our relationships with other people at home and in our world.

And that helping others is good for us, too, since we are all interdependent. Buddhism teaches, as I understand it, that helping others creates good karma.

"Helping wisely" has more to do with intuition or how much information one can gather about the situation one is trying to help, than anything to do with enlightenment.

As far as good Karma goes, yes, if helping with a loving heart, even in a situation where "help" could be counterproductive, good Karma is created.

If help is given with self-righteousness or hostility towards anyone, or even with "desire or greed" for acumulation of good Karma, it creates bad Karma.

That does not mean that $100 from a kind person, and $100 from a self-righteous person woudn't equally feed a starving family for a month. My point was not "don't bother to help until you are enlightened" and I am sorry if it came across that way.
    Maitri wrote:
    This is not enough to save the world, but they are some few suggestions of things that can be done quite easily for oneself and for the world, without running a great risk of becoming neither a martyr nor to self-righteous, I believe.

Of course, and your list of organizations is a good one with one of my favorites on there, the SOS Childrens Villages. My husband and I are supporting a large area of villages in India with schooling, immunizations and housing that a friend of ours runs, where every penny goes directly to the children. Unfortunately we know what some of the "helping" organizations do in these areas that would make your hair stand up-( none of the ones you mention, as far as I know) Some of them ( the one I know of is Spain's Intervida ) are as corrupt and brutal as any other large organization with lots of money and power, and supporting them can cause much harm.

Still it is subject to interpretation, as in, are you supporting pedophiles if you support the katholic church? You would get very different oppinions on that one.
    Maitri wrote:
    It is not only that people need to be helped, but we really need to help, too.

So, so true. It is a mutual need, a mutual joy. Our need to help is greater than any other need may be. Therefore humility, and gratitude for the opportunity and "no taking credit for one's deeds", with the understanding that by helping, there also exists a possibility of doing unintentional harm. Therefore in helping one accepts a level of selfishness in oneself.
    Maitri wrote:
    One can chose ecological dairy products and eggs (because they are not cruel to the animals and the environment)

And what about ethical Investment?
    It is not so nice to have money in a bank that supports weapon-industry and unfair and polluting trading, is it?

These choices are very good ones, and all our small steps add up to more goodness in the world. And for one's good Karma ;) , it is important to not look down on others who chose otherwise, out of either different convictions or ignorance, humbly understanding that oneself is still quite ignorant. And the enlightened one is the most ignorant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Thank you for your kind answer, MeditationMom! :)

I wish you and everyone of us on this forum a very happy summer! :)

M.

Advertisement