Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Getting Wireless Broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Da Man
    I know it's far from an ideal solution in many ways, but ISDN will fix your line quality problems.
    If a line can't sustain 32k dialup consistently, it's unlikely to support the constant 144k needed for ISDN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

I had pretty poor dial-up performance and never had any problems with ISDN. I've also never had any problems with i-stream. And someone else I know had really bad dial-up performance and recently got i-stream no problems, which is presumably a lot more sensitive than ISDN. I've also never heard of anyone being denied ISDN, but I'm happy to be corrected...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Da Man
    I've also never heard of anyone being denied ISDN, but I'm happy to be corrected...
    I've got ISDN, but it took a couple of years of incessant bitching and moaning to Eircom senior executives and ComReg to get it. All of my neighbours who have looked for ISDN have been denied it, including those on the same wireless connection as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I was initially denied and told that there would be no way ISDN would work, since I was too far from the exchange. Unless I had held the engineer here, I would not have ISDN now. I recall many threads on boards also about people being denied ISDN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Cool. In any event, metered services suck ass. I was delighted to get rid of ISDN. Just out of curiousity, what's the max distance to the exchange for ISDN? I thought for some reason that it is a product available to practically everybody, but maybe I've read too much Eircon marketing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

To the best of my knowledge it is 8km although I know a guy in the Outer Hebrides who is way more than that far from civilisation and has perfectly functioning ISDN. The may have put a repeater in for him though. He isn't sure. He's just happy to have it.

Advertisement