Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's first Group Data Scheme

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The Country Version of it would be cheaper, stuff the fibre into a 50mm cross section Black Wavin Pipe and bury about the length of a spade below the surface with no trenching or ducting as such.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Irishwan started in a new thread in the ioffl forum but the thread was moved to the wireless forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Originally posted by thegills
    This is no where near the cost of laying fibre. A duct network will cost anywhere between €30 and €150 per m depending on the terrain (verge, carriageway) and the number of ducts , sub-ducts etc. Look at the MAN projects for example; €12M for about 50Km which equates to €240/m

thegills

I think the 19 MAN projects must be longer than 50 Km in total since the segment between Ballina and Kiltimagh is about 33 km on it's own (anyone know if it goes via Foxford or Swinford? )

I didn't include the cost of Ducting etc in my Figure of 1 Euro / M since there are many other cheaper ways to lay fibre when the community wants to do it as it's own project, especially when the houses are close together.

not to mention cheaper commercial methods of laying fiber such as slit laying See here

.Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

Brendan,
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no link between Ballina and Kiltimagh, surprisingly enough. It isn't shown on the maps and was never mentioned.
    My guess is that gills is talking about the Limerick MAN only and his pricing is indicative of real costs for a robust deployment. His average figure is skewed somewhat by the cost of co-location space and management overhead also.
    As for your €1/m cost, that is barely the cost (if even) of a two strand indoor fibre. It is somewhat misleading to quote it as for any form of installation the cable costs are usually a fairly small percentage of the total cost. All the more so for outside plant installs.
    There are many ways to install fibre, but they basically come down to aerial or buried. Aerial is cheaper but less secure usually. There are many ways to bury the cable also and some very innovative ones. In town though, your options are somewhat limited and a large portion of the cost is for rights of way and permits to the council.
    i still think bog standard wired ethernet in small clumps of premises backhauled to a node is a viable option. Use Cat 6 and keep within 90m rule. Use radio, fibre or FSO for the backhaul to the town node. A hybrid solution that could be migrated to all fibre over time, as streets are dug up and duct can be put in cheaply.
    New Ross dug up every footpath in the downtown area a few months ago. It was a great opportunity to put down a cheap empty duct. To the best of my knowledge, they didn't do that. With a duct in place, it would be quite inexpensive to lay the fibre anthough once you take in labour, termination and testing, not to mention building entrance issues, it becomes relatively expensive.

Advertisement