Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    The Winning Season: Sam Rockwell plays an alcoholic who has a rocky relationship with his ex-wife and daughter. He gets a shot at redemption through coaching a girls high-school basketball team(one of which is played by Rooney Mara). Sounds pretty predictable and it is, i was expecting a more serious film, and for the first hour it kind of is but the last act goes into pretty broad comedy territory. Having said that, I enjoyed the hell out of this, sure its predictable and doesn't really tread any new ground, but its got a lot of heart and really makes you care about the characters. As always Rockwell is great in his role and some really good chemistry between him and the girls in the team. Everyone had a ball making this and you can see that on screen. If you're looking for something light hearted but with a bit of substance then look no further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Seen "pulling john" as someone recommend here,it was very good and is worth a watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I watched about 5 mins of this and turned it off,utterly depressing and don't understand how anybody could sit through a whole documentary about people jumping from a famous bridge and killing themselves. It is not even interesting, it is just depressingly sad

It was a film about suicide, why people may do it and the people they leave behind.

It's not a subject talked about enough IMO. I found it compelling and extremely interesting. Just because you find something depressing doesn't automatically mean its any less worthy of a watch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya today, and it was pretty good. I hadn't expected it to be so long (it's damn near 3 hours long!), and the first half-hour or so were a bit confusing (there's a scene with some expository dialogue which introduces a bunch of concepts out of nowhere) until I realised that the film presumably followed on after a couple of seasons of a series. It works pretty well by itself though, and like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a more interesting approach to the concepts it deals with than many western feature-length titles.

The dubbing is pretty grim, though. Not as bad as some 80s anime dubs, but still pretty dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Is The Bridge on the US or Irish version?,its not showing up when i search for it on the PS3.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Kamjana wrote: »
    Is The Bridge on the US or Irish version?,its not showing up when i search for it on the PS3.

It's on the UK version, so I'd expect it on the Irish version. The info page is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Watched The Lives of Others the other night. Really excellent film about life under the Stasi before the fall of the berlin wall. German, with subtitles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

A cinematic profile of the noted veteran New York City Street fashion photographer Bill Cunningham.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1621444/

Really entertaining . This guy lives in a tiny aparment in Carnegie Hall and is 80 and still cycles around New Yrok doing street photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

adox wrote: »
    It was a film about suicide, why people may do it and the people they leave behind.

It's not a subject talked about enough IMO. I found it compelling and extremely interesting. Just because you find something depressing doesn't automatically mean its any less worthy of a watch.

Great documentary and a nice opportunity for those peoples friends to remember the goods things about them, gives you more of an appreciation of life, not depressing, thought provoking.

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    A cinematic profile of the noted veteran New York City Street fashion photographer Bill Cunningham.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1621444/

Really entertaining . This guy lives in a tiny aparment in Carnegie Hall and is 80 and still cycles around New Yrok doing street photography.

Fascinating documentary about a real NY eccentric (and some of his equally eccentric friends) how many people of 81 are cycling through the NY traffic at night like him! I thought it would be quite a shallow docu. from its premise (about street fashion photographer) but its anything but. 5/5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Sliders :D I really enjoyed this show back in the day and was delighted to see it on the listing. Working my way through S1 at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

"Head On" (the 2004 one) is excellent.

Basically about a guy who is a bit of a down and out but who's life changes when he meets a Turkish girl. Girl in question is played by Sibel Kekilli who was recently in Game of Thrones.

Well worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The King of Kong is excellent - I urge everyone to watch it...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just watched The Lookout - surprised I hadn't heard of it before. Its a decent noir starring Joseph Gordon Levitt as a man recovering from a major brain injury sustained in a car accident. He works as a janitor in a bank and is befriended by a group of bank robbers. Really good performance from Levitt and also Jeff Daniels as his blind flatmate. Pretty good thriller all in all, worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just watched The Lookout - surprised I hadn't heard of it before. Its a decent noir starring Joseph Gordon Levitt as a man recovering from a major brain injury sustained in a car accident. He works as a janitor in a bank and is befriended by a group of bank robbers. Really good performance from Levitt and also Jeff Daniels as his blind flatmate. Pretty good thriller all in all, worth a look.

must check that out, I like Levitt and Daniels is one of my favourite "how come hes not a bigger star" actors. check out Paper Man as well if you havent seen it, Daniels, Ryan Reynolds and Emma Stone, its a quirky comedy about a struggling writer who has an imaginary superhero (Reynolds) pop up throughout the movie for inspiration, very funny in places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I was literally going to go on the hunt tomorrow for this in HMV, been dying to see it.

And from today its available on the US netflix!
    :D:D:D:D

there's an absolute ton of standup comedy on the US one, check out Louis CK's shows, Hilarious, and Chewed Up. he's (imo) the best standup comedian in the world right now.

krudler wrote: »
    must check that out, I like Levitt and Daniels is one of my favourite "how come hes not a bigger star" actors. check out Paper Man as well if you havent seen it, Daniels, Ryan Reynolds and Emma Stone, its a quirky comedy about a struggling writer who has an imaginary superhero (Reynolds) pop up throughout the movie for inspiration, very funny in places.

Thats been recommended to me in the Top 10 thingy, must give it a look. Daniels is very underrated, he was great in The Squid and the Whale. Watched Louis C.K.-Chewed Up yesterday. Hilarious stuff altogether, had to turn it off when my mum wandered into the room though :D

The King of Kong is excellent - I urge everyone to watch it...

The King of Kong is one of those extremely unexpectedly good movies - I mean, it's a movie about grown men who play Donkey Kong essentially, but they are such interesting people that it makes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

The Pusher trilogy is on the Canadian library. Most people probably don't have access to a Canadian Vpn (I use Overplay) but thought I'd let people know just in case. I watched the first one on Saturday night. Low budget and the characters are idiots but I still enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Watched "In the Electric Mist" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910905/

Tommy Lee Jones and John Goodman as a cajun cop and mafia guy in Louisiana.

Not a bad film but will primarily be of interest to fans of James Lee Burke, the crime writer.

I'm a fan of the books but wasn't even aware of this film until last night.

Tommy Lee Jones nails the part of cajun cop Dave Robicheaux.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mondays in the Sun (Spanish: Los Lunes al Sol), it's about the degrading effects of unemployment on a group of men left jobless by the closure of the shipyard. Very poignant especially in today's climate. Plenty of black humour too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

(These are all US Netflix)

I see I'm not the first person here to recommend Being Elmo :) absolutely great doc, seriously heartwarming stuff.

If anyone is thinking of watching Dear Zachary, I'd recommend NOT googling it or looking up anything beforehand. It packs a powerful emotional punch.

They've just added Series 2 of Archer. It's a hilarious adult-orientated cartoon, every episode has me in stitches.

This documentary is a must watch for ANYONE with Netflix Us, first its hilarious then later, not so much:

"In 1987, Eddie and Mitch moved into a low-rent apartment in San Francisco where, through paper-thin walls, they were informally introduced to their middle-aged alcoholic neighbors, Raymond (a raging homophobe) and Peter (a flamboyant gay man). For 18 months, they hung a microphone from their kitchen window to chronicle the bizarre relationship between their borderline-insane neighbors, accidentally creating one of the world's first "viral" counter-culture sensations on the underground tape market. Revisiting these events through interviews and reenactments with the key players in the phenomenon's development, director Matthew Bate has concocted a darkly comic exploration into the blurred boundaries between art and exploitation"

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭itchy elbows

adox wrote: »
    Well I'll get the ball rolling so. Just finished season four of five seasons of a show called Friday Night Lights. Based on a small town in Texas football team, it's a whole lot more than football, more about the community and their trials and tribulations with the coach and his wife the centre piece.

Very well written and acted, corny as hell at times, but it's a fantastic show none the less. Some fantastic characters in it, you'll finish an episode with a smile on your face more often than not.

Definitely recommended.

just finished the 5th season of FNL, fantastic show, am a big fan of the original movie and had always been meaning to watch the show but was worried it didnt live up to the film, I was wrong. the second season suffers from the writers strike at the time as its a bit all over the place, especially the
    Landry/Tyra murder storyline, didnt like that at all and Landrys dad just vanishes afterwards
    but it gets better with each season. the ending of season 5 is absolutely brilliant. Tim Riggins is now one of my favorite tv show characters ever.

Poor old tim riggins a tortured soul. Great show
    just finished it.myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

This documentary is a must watch for ANYONE with Netflix Us, first its hilarious then later, not so much:

Looks good, but not to be found on Netflix (US) today - where's it gone?

alastair wrote: »

Looks good, but not to be found on Netflix (US) today - where's it gone?

Just checked its still on there. ( I view US content through ps3 don't know if that makes a difference)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

there's an absolute ton of standup comedy on the US one, check out Louis CK's shows, Hilarious, and Chewed Up. he's (imo) the best standup comedian in the world right now.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thats been recommended to me in the Top 10 thingy, must give it a look. Daniels is very underrated, he was great in The Squid and the Whale. Watched Louis C.K.-Chewed Up yesterday. Hilarious stuff altogether, had to turn it off when my mum wandered into the room though :D

His series Louie which is also on Netflix is also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Retro Police

Watched Senna on Netflix (US) last night. I missed out on its release last year.

I'm not interested in F1 at all but it's an incredible film. Really powerful stuff. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

His series Louie which is also on Netflix is also excellent.

Yea I've watched season 1, tis fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just checked its still on there. ( I view US content through ps3 don't know if that makes a difference)

Strange - it's back now - deffo wasn't there for me yesterday (PS3 too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Only sort of a recommendation, as I only thought it was an alright film, but I thought I'd flag it anyway as its quite a recent release, The Lincoln Lawyer is now available on the US site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

anyone having issues with the american version of netflix tonight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No discussion of regional workarounds please. Recommendations only please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Probably already been mentioned but Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey is very good and well worth a watch.
    allanb49 wrote: »
    anyone having issues with the american version of netflix tonight
    Nope, been watching How I Met Your Mother off the US version since late afternoon and no issues with it.

Akira Kurosawa's Ran has been added to US netflix! Will have to give it a look one of the nights...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Netflix down for me all night on PS3 nd Xbox bloody hell :(

Odd, am in Dublin and have just finished watching Terminator on it

just delete the app and reinstall it, should fix it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Watched The Secret of Kells on US last night. Nice little film that looks gorgeous and explores Irish legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

just delete the app and reinstall it, should fix it

Just did this. Still not working won't even get to the sign in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Just looking back over the posts in this thread and the US version seems to be the way to go. I'm on the Irish version and I'll probably cancel it before the free month is up. In my opinion the content is very limited so there's nothing much there to keep me signed up. Hopefully this will improve over time but at the moment it's not worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Stay on topic please everyone. Recommendations and content discussion only.

Watched The Secret of Kells on US last night. Nice little film that looks gorgeous and explores Irish legend.

its a pity more Irish movies cant have as much charm as that instead of stupid comedies all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Elvira - mistress of the dark.
    It's an oldie (Irish version)
    Bit it's intentionally bad like old horrors.
    I can recommend it for some light comical relief (if - for comedy - never been kissed and the likes of it just annoy you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I watched Black Death with Sean Bean. It was actually pretty good, gorey and violent. An eerie sense of inevitable doom throughout the movie. Sean Bean pretty much plays a super religious Ned Stark.

Also my Netflix is working again, order has been restored!

I watched Black Death with Sean Bean. It was actually pretty good, gorey and violent. An eerie sense of inevitable doom throughout the movie. Sean Bean pretty much plays a super religious Boromir.

Also my Netflix is working again, order has been restored!

fyp :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Passengers (Anne Hathaway) - not up to much tbh, just another predictable and cliched Supernatural drama.

Streets of Blood (Val Kilmer, Sharon Stone and, wait for it, Fiddy Cent :rolleyes: ) - a convoluted cop thriller with hammy dialogue, a pure time killer if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daredevil360

Watched Senna on Netflix (US) last night. I missed out on its release last year.

I'm not interested in F1 at all but it's an incredible film. Really powerful stuff. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

+1 Great flick whether you like F1 or not .Legend :)

My i recommend Inside Job

A good description about how the whole wall street crash came about ,well narrated

Watched 3 documentaries last night.

Billabong Odyssey: Some great footage in it but a pretty dull film overall. Starts out saying they're going hunting the globe for the biggest wave but then the movie just spends the whole time focusing on the most well known and filmed big wave spots in the world. Some great footage in it though, if you're not into the sport that much I suggest watching the first 3 minutes!

King of Kong: Thought this was brilliant, plays out like a great underdog sports movie. You're really rooting for Steve by the end. Oh and regardless of any innacuracies in the film, screw you Billy Mitchell. Highly Recommended, brilliant film.

Being Elmo(US only): Another great documentary. A touching and honest portrait of the puppeteer behind elmo. Would work as a great double bill with the new Muppet movie. Enjoyed it immensely.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement