Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Got the 8.20 today, havent gone the old road in a long time. Interestingly according to the timetable 8.20am gets to Dunslaughlin at 8.40 and arrives in bus aras at 9.25.

Granted it was a Monday etc.. but it took 20 minutes to get out of Navan alone (i.e market square, Johnston and Kilcarne stops) and the numbers getting on weren't big, circa 30 people I'd say, but the dreaded online tickets/ cash held the whole show up.

Eventually got to O connell Street at 9.45. (which probabaly meant it was at least 9.50 getting into Bus Aras)

Two interesting things I noted, one being that the Navan Town service bus went by us and if my eyes werent mistaken, it has leap card functionality?

Secondly is the number of recently added stops on the old N3, being serious there appears to new stops probabaly less that a kilometer apart in some cases, and stops, in some cases which seem to have been put in, to service what appears to be a very small number of houses.

Does anyone know how BE/ NTA decides on where to position official stops, or is a case that if you make a nuisance of yourself or have the right people contact them they'll stick a personal stop wherever you request?

As per my post in the LEAP thread - most Bus Eireann PSO routes in the Dublin & East region now take LEAP.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

Joke shop this week on the non express buses. Have got two non expresses this week , a 5.45 that left at 5.55 and now I'm on the 5.30 slow coach which eventually left bus aras at 5.42 .

Worse this service is getting. 6.30 express full at 6.26 and people turned away. Happening all too frequently on the small number of express services BE have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Don't think I would be happy paying €2,900 for an annual ticket for the service being offered. Here I am on a nice comfortable train with full wifi going to the M3 parkway. Don't miss that joke service.

People pissed off and rightly so this evening with the 6.30 express been full and pulling out at 6.23. Was the same yesterday with bus full at 6.27.

Got two expresses last week and it was the same story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I suppose the as the saying goes the early bird gets the worm.
    The problem particularly with the 630 is the bus itself is usually a private hire, and the one on that my wife gets is only maybe 38 seats or so? Where as the BE doubles can take how many 75?

The biggest joke with the whole service is the two direct buses in the morning - the Ardboyne stop is ridiculous. Why they don't run 1 from that stop and 1 from the square is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

sofireland wrote: »
    I suppose the as the saying goes the early bird gets the worm.
    The problem particularly with the 630 is the bus itself is usually a private hire, and the one on that my wife gets is only maybe 38 seats or so? Where as the BE doubles can take how many 75?

The biggest joke with the whole service is the two direct buses in the morning - the Ardboyne stop is ridiculous. Why they don't run 1 from that stop and 1 from the square is beyond me.

Well here is one for ya. Two private buses pull out at 9:30 from Busaras. One is a smaller coach that goes direct to Navan. First stop is the Ardboyne. Second bus does all the donkey work, a regular size coach. He has stop all along the road, blanchardstown shopping centre, brace town etc.

But he still manages to get into Navan at least 5 minutes before the smaller coach who had a straight run. I think it took 70 minutes. Do we have grounds to gripe about a driver driving to slow? Don't want to start a witch hunt on any particular driver but the one that was driving that night would drive you to tears because you know that the journey is going to take at least 10-15 minutes longer than average.

But a straight run to Navan in a a small coach with no traffic, straight down the M3 in 70 minutes is shocking.

tom23 wrote: »
    Well here is one for ya. Two private buses pull out at 9:30 from Busaras. One is a smaller coach that goes direct to Navan. First stop is the Ardboyne. Second bus does all the donkey work, a regular size coach. He has stop all along the road, blanchardstown shopping centre, brace town etc.

But he still manages to get into Navan at least 5 minutes before the smaller coach who had a straight run. I think it took 70 minutes. Do we have grounds to gripe about a driver driving to slow? Don't want to start a witch hunt on any particular driver but the one that was driving that night would drive you to tears because you know that the journey is going to take at least 10-15 minutes longer than average.

But a straight run to Navan in a a small coach with no traffic, straight down the M3 in 70 minutes is shocking.

I think I know the driver you are on about, fella thats fond of lifting the mic and giving a running commentary now and again on the most bizarre of stuff

70 minutes to Navan when using the M3 at 9.30 at night is just not good enough, when you consider the 6.30 can do it in 55 minutes

Re the earlier comment about the "early bird getting the worm" -I am not suggesting that its a flippant remark, but leaving tax implications aside, if you are spending in excess of €2500 on an annual service, and can't get the bus you want on a consistent basis , which appears to be the case with the express buses constantly filling up early, again its not good enough

Room for at least one more express service on the Navan - dublin route. in the evening, maybe a 6 oclock would take some of the pressure of the 5.30 and 6.30 expresses.

Their logic defies me, if I am correct (and i stand open to correction) there are 4 expresses in the morning , 7.05 x 2 and 7.20 x 2?? yet they dont see demand for more than 2 in the evening.

Did anyone hear anything about these new changes that were spoken about a few month back that are going to add "considerable improvements to the existing service?

There are ongoing reviews of Bus Eireann services at the moment - the Monaghan and Drogheda areas are seeing the timetable and route changes next weekend (including Navan/Drogheda), as well as Dublin/Mullingar, so there may be something in the pipeline.

• Advertisement

Sorry if the comment seemed flippant. But you can only board from 615 or 515. It is meant to leave at the time on the timetable. There are only a finite number of seats on these buses. I know I personally bust a gut to get to busaras on time for those seats.

Ive given up trying to understand their when it comes to how they set up their services.

Simply put imo the direct express in the evening should both be double deckers.

They used a normal single decker coach on the 6.30 this evening , but the result was the same. Full and gone at 6.26 with people refused entry.

Bottom line is more expresses are needed but I have come to the conclusion that for some unknown reason BE don't like them .

The have refused for two years to put them on the departures board , the use the most uncomfortable bus i have the experience of been on for the 530 service ( while at the same time running half full new and comfortable coaches elsewhere ) , they use whats not far off a minibus for the 6.30 a lot of the time and simply don't want to run buses the quickest way out of town ie DPT.

from a business perspective it's hard to understand why any going concern would neglect its most popular product to the extent that BE / NTA do. It's the equivalent of putting the worst produce you have in the shop window.

Would the sensible thing to do not be for BE/NTA to decide these services are working and attracting paying customers so let's take them back in house , ensure they well run with decent buses and maybe just maybe with proper advertising and good word of mouth more people might be willing to take the bus and leave the car at home if there was a reliable service that offered Navan to Dublin and return journey in an hour each way on a consistent basis ?

Different day, same story . 6.25 , bus full and six people can't board . ( I'm sure the re will be others who arrive in the next 5 minutes to find the express has left.

You'd think the penny would drop when you have double digit queues for the 6.30 express at 6.10 I.e people who are not happy to go the nonsensical route that the 6.15 and almost every other 109 takes . The mind truly boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Different day, same story . 6.25 , bus full and six people can't board . ( I'm sure the re will be others who arrive in the next 5 minutes to find the express has left.

You'd think the penny would drop when you have double digit queues for the 6.30 express at 6.10 I.e people who are not happy to go the nonsensical route that the 6.15 and almost every other 109 takes . The mind truly boggles

I'm actually wishing I could get off this 109, it's dirty, has an unrecognisable smell and the suspension is knackered. Not yo mention broken seat belts.

But I agree maybe if a few people write to the nta, ridiculousness having a 40? seater coach for the direct service to Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

Furp wrote: »
    I'm actually wishing I could get off this 109, it's dirty, has an unrecognisable smell and the suspension is knackered. Not yo mention broken seat belts.

But I agree maybe if a few people write to the nta, ridiculousness having a 40? seater coach for the direct service to Navan.

Writing to the NTA is only way your going to influence change on that bus route. cc your local political representative as well. Navan commuters deserve more express buses.

Business as usual . 6.26 , we're full and we're off ! 6 refused .

BE - consistency in a world gone mad !

• Advertisement

So commuter109 you and I are part of the lucky 39. Wonder has anyone sent a link yo this thread to the NTA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

So commuter109 you and I are part of the lucky 39. Wonder has anyone sent a link yo this thread to the NTA

39? Don't say the lunatics are using a minibus on the route? Surely they wouldn't be that stupid?

We all know that bus eireann have to reduce costs but this is taking the concept too far.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    39? Don't say the lunatics are using a minibus on the route? Surely they wouldn't be that stupid?

We all know that bus eireann have to reduce costs but this is taking the concept too far.

Stupi isn't it to put such a small coach on the express service

Stupi isn't it to put such a small coach on the express service

And one that's not fit for service either, I'm not a mechanical engineer but you cant sleep on that bus most of the time as it shakes it's way violently down the motorway

Here's one for any of you transportation regulation experts out there, is a bus (and a double decker in particular) obliged by law to have arm rests in this country? I know all of the BE buses have, but some of the older private ones dont

Cheers

No they are not.

Dublin Bus vehicles have no arm rests!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Buses on the 109 route should be suitable for expressway duties, but more often those less suitable double deck buses like what is used on the 103/105 are used, and these have their speed limited due to being rated to carry standees.

Buses on the 109 route should be suitable for expressway duties, but more often those less suitable double deck buses like what is used on the 103/105 are used, and these have their speed limited due to being rated to carry standees.

Agreed, I knew Dublin Bus had no arm rests, but are they allowed on the motorways? Upstairs on the 5.30 express is a nightmare once it hits the motorway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

shouldnt Dunshaughlin really be removed from the 109 route and be served by such slower high capacity busses, even sending them to the M3 rail station where users could avail of Dublins fantastic integrated transport and ticketing system, before heading for town.

Agreed, I knew Dublin Bus had no arm rests, but are they allowed on the motorways? Upstairs on the 5.30 express is a nightmare once it hits the motorway

Yes they are.

The 33X, 41X, 142 and 747 all operate along the M1.

They may be allowed but these buses are not really built for motorway journeys, imo they never should be used on trips of over 30 miles to Navan.

They may be allowed but these buses are not really built for motorway journeys, imo they never should be used on trips of over 30 miles to Navan.

7.05 "express" was a fiasco this morning, an hour and twenty to O' Connell Street.

Took 25 minutes or more to load pasengers at the Square and Johnstown

BE really need to try to make these express peak time services as cashless as possible, and sort of this internet ticket farce, which makes it more time consuming to actually board the service.

They really should push leap big time. Specially if it can be used for 10 journeys. Give the same discount as if buying off the website or even more.
    The travel pass is up to 2850 also. Must be making a fortune on this route

Well the fare increases come in from 1 December, which means that the revised fare structure between Navan and Dublin will be:

Cash Single - €13.30
    Cash 10 Journey - €60

Leap Single - €11.25
    Leap 7 Day - €56.50

Therefore the LEAP card will be cheaper than the 10 Journey ticket by €0.50 (when the 10 journey ticket is bought online), and offer unlimited travel over 7 days.

Hopefully enough people will get the message and switch over.

The 6.30 express has finally made the departures board after 2 years . Top drawer stuff. Don't know if its anything to do with NTA having been sent this thread. I'd like to think it was but doubt it!

Lx is there a definitive date for roll out of leap on 109 ? This morning on the 7.05 was a scandal

Another thing BE need to look at is the numbers using different services in the evening. There were 27 on the normal kells 630 this evening , far less than was on the 6.30 express.

Last Thursday i watched the 6.15 and the normal 6.30 pull out and there fewer on both combined than on the 6.30 express.

Final rant is where the f;;k did all the new bus stops in dunshlaughlin come from? Hate to say it but Time it was taken off the 109 route

Eh, LEAP has been on all Bus Eireann Dublin region services since early October!!!

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    Eh, LEAP has been on all Bus Eireann Dublin region services since early October!!!

My point was leap isnt being promoted at all.

My point was leap isnt being promoted at all.

I was responding to the post asking when LEAP would be introduced on the 109.

LEAP on Bus Eireann is only really going to start to become relevant for people after the fare increase on December 1st when for many trips the 7 day ticket will become cheaper than the 10 Journey ticket purchased online. That isn't the case right now.

Hence the marketing has been fairly quiet after it was launched, as it was with the other operators. With each operator they have gone for a "soft" launch before ramping the marketing up.

As I say, I'd expect that across all operators LEAP will be marketed far more heavily once the cash fare increases kick in and the differential with LEAP becomes more apparent.

I was responding to the post asking when LEAP would be introduced on the 109.

LEAP on Bus Eireann is only really going to start to become relevant for people after the fare increase on December 1st when for many trips the 7 day ticket will become cheaper than the 10 Journey ticket purchased online. That isn't the case right now.

Hence the marketing has been fairly quiet after it was launched, as it was with the other operators. With each operator they have gone for a "soft" launch before ramping the marketing up.

As I say, I'd expect that across all operators LEAP will be marketed far more heavily once the cash fare increases kick in and the differential with LEAP becomes more apparent.

Well they would want to get the finger out ASAP . I genuinely had no idea it was now available . I asked 4 people I know use the 109 and 3 had no idea, granted a straw pole but me included that's 80%of users .

I have seen no flyers on the buses or posters in bus areas , and this service is what 6 weeks old. ? I could be wrong but there's no indication the private coaches that run the express services are leap ready ? There's certainly no leap stickers on the ticket machines, and this 1st dec milestone is less than a week off ????

The same "soft approach " BE had taken to its most popular r109 services, i.e don't tell people about them.

You asked me this before and I told you that it was available.

LEAP is a phased rollout by the NTA that is being done on a soft basis, rather than having a Big Bang. It was announced on the Bus Eireann website and posted here too.

Believe me - people will get to hear about it fairly quickly, once it becomes a cheaper option. At the moment it isn't for 10 journey users.

In the meantime here is the page on the leapcard site:
    https://www.leapcard.ie/en/_uploads/Using%20a%20Leap%20Card%20on%20Bus%20Eireann%20V2.pdf

You asked me this before and I told you that it was available.

LEAP is a phased rollout by the NTA that is being done on a soft basis, rather than having a Big Bang. It was announced on the Bus Eireann website and posted here too.

Believe me - people will get to hear about it fairly quickly, once it becomes a cheaper option. At the moment it isn't for 10 journey users.

In the meantime here is the page on the leapcard site:
    https://www.leapcard.ie/en/_uploads/Using%20a%20Leap%20Card%20on%20Bus%20Eireann%20V2.pdf

Big Bang and Bus Eireann - god forbid

People dont visit the likes of BE/ leap website randomly - you need to be directed. Golden rule of marketing

I could be way of the mark, and I'll seek verification on this, but I dont think some/all of the private coaches been used are leap ready. Maybe thats why its not been pushed, even though the service has been "launched"

Big Bang and Bus Eireann - god forbid

People dont visit the likes of BE/ leap website randomly - you need to be directed. Golden rule of marketing

I could be way of the mark, and I'll seek verification on this, but I dont think some/all of the private coaches been used are leap ready. Maybe thats why its not been pushed, even though the service has been "launched"

It is the NTA who are managing the LEAP rollout - not Bus Eireann.

They (quite rightly) have deliberately taken a soft approach to the rollout to avoid major delays on buses if problems arise.

The rollout on Dublin Bus, Irish Rail and LUAS has been done slowly, with little marketing initially, and is slowly being ramped up. I don't see the point of doing any different on Bus Eireann.

Once the buses have the newer ticket machines, they are can facilitate LEAP.

As I pointed out above, until the next fare increase happens, the only people that LEAP really facilitated were occasional users - for the single fare. Now that the fares are being increased, LEAP will begin to become more relevant for some people, but not all. For some journeys, the 10 Journey ticket will remain cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

The thing about the leap card is that is actually wont work out cheaper than buying a ticket online if you only use the leap card for the commute during the week.

Because BE give you 10% of the cost of an online ticket as points and you can use these points against a free ticket when you build up your points.

Unless you are going to be using you 7 day ticket at the weekend as well it wont be cost efficient.

Azza89 wrote: »
    The thing about the leap card is that is actually wont work out cheaper than buying a ticket online if you only use the leap card for the commute during the week.

Because BE give you 10% of the cost of an online ticket as points and you can use these points against a free ticket when you build up your points.

Unless you are going to be using you 7 day ticket at the weekend as well it wont be cost efficient.

Whoops!, good post on BE facebook from a guy who reckons he has had almost 6 weeks free travel on BE (a company on the verge of going to the wall) as none of the drivers have a clue how to use LEAP, probabaly as a result of no training??

Assumedly as it has been "rolled out" I am free to produce my LEAP card on any 109 service (private bus or otherwise), and I cant be stopped from boarding the service, because it doesnt have the leap card reader, or driver cant work it etc?

I hadn't realized they had started to take leap as i have only seen the reader on a couple of the buses, must try it now.

Also I am disappointed that there does not appear to be any advantage with Leap for Bus Eireann the price is the same for those like me that are lucky enough to only require the bus 3 days a week, plus it does not contribute to the cap in Dublin.

• Advertisement

I hadn't realized they had started to take leap as i have only seen the reader on a couple of the buses, must try it now.

Also I am disappointed that there does not appear to be any advantage with Leap for Bus Eireann the price is the same for those like me that are lucky enough to only require the bus 3 days a week, plus it does not contribute to the cap in Dublin.

Given the cash and online fares change this weekend - that may change.

6.30 express full and gone and people refused at 6.26. Lovely big new double decker beside us with less than 20 people on it going to kells.

Seriously ??? and I don't care if NTA are reading this , only conclusion I can come to is that between BE and /or NTA , they haven't got things sorted re whatever bull**** paper work has to be completed before a BE bus goes through DPT , so will only run a private bus with no BE logo on it through DPT at 6.30 or b)

And this is equally probable , - they honestly couldn't give a sh.t

Sitting on the 6.30 this evening 53 seater just gone 6.30 and 2 people had to get off because it's full.

Sitting on the 6.30 this evening 53 seater just gone 6.30 and 2 people had to get off because it's full.

I asked one the guys in BE yesterday evening re the LEAP card, and he told me in nutshell, if you produce a LEAP card on any relevant non LEAP enabled bus, i.e. alot of the private buses that run the express services , you will be onboarded for free.

If I was buying a 10 journey BE ticket and using the expresses, suffice to say I'd be buying a LEAP card for a fiver or whatever its costs next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I asked one the guys in BE yesterday evening re the LEAP card, and he told me in nutshell, if you produce a LEAP card on any relevant non LEAP enabled bus, i.e. alot of the private buses that run the express services , you will be onboarded for free.

If I was buying a 10 journey BE ticket and using the expresses, suffice to say I'd be buying a LEAP card for a fiver or whatever its costs next week.

Just to recap.....12 years and c.€40 Million to bring the ITS/Leapcard project to the heights it currently occupies.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

not sure if it has been mentioned here but Sillan Tours have a new 6.30pm service from Nassau Street which go through the port tunnel and first stop is in Dunshaughlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    not sure if it has been mentioned here but Sillan Tours have a new 6.30pm service from Nassau Street which go through the port tunnel and first stop is in Dunshaughlin.

Does it stop in Virginia or Cavan town do you know?

Sillan Tours operate to Kingscourt and Shercock, not to Cavan.

http://www.sillan.ie/index.php/bus-timetables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Sillan Tours operate to Kingscourt and Shercock, not to Cavan.

http://www.sillan.ie/index.php/bus-timetables

Ah right. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Got the nitelinik @ 3.30a.m on Friday and was charged €13.50 from a private bus company, then on Saturday, it was back to 11.50 as per usual. Same driver, I said nothing, but next time be wary, it's only €11.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Geog1234

Would suggest dropping Bus Éireann a line or e-mail about this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement