Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pixar Movie - Brave

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Just back from seeing it now. Overall it's good, but that's it. It's good but nothing brilliant or ground breaking. I am comparing it to other Pixar movies (and I think everyone does) but as animation goes it's fantastic, just maybe not to the usual Pixar standard, although still leaps and bounds ahead of “Cars 2.”

The one place this film falls down is on story. Yea, yea, I know, you heard it all before, but it's still true. It's set up brilliantly. The whole first half in fact is brilliant, then it starts to, not go down hill, but just plays it safe. After all it is a kids film, but in parts it's very kidish (real word?). It relies a lot on slapstick for the jokes, but some moments still are funny. The real nit pick for me was the mother daughter bonding. I won't spoil anything, but I just didn't feel it worked. If you saw it you know what I'm talking about. I would have liked to see them actually get along as mother and daughter, not mother and
    (bear)
    . The ending too was...meh.
    (someone should have died. I'm sorry, but I think it should have happened.)
    The moral of the story isn't bad I suppose, but maybe a bit simple.

One thing I did notice was the story seemed to be hard to follow for the younger audience, yet there was never any surprises for me. I knew everything that was coming up.

After saying all that though, it was worth going to see if just for the animation. Sweet Jesus, it was good. Maybe not as grand (in scale) as I thought it was going to be, but still epic. I saw it in 3D, but was a waste of money. I'm sure it would have been just as good in 2D.

So, in conclusion, not Pixar's greatest, but not their worst. It plays it safe and gets the job done.

Oh, nearly forgot about “La Luna” . That was worth the price of the ticket alone. What a brilliant short. Imaginative, fun and hearth warming. Go see “Brave” just for it!

7.5/10

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw this the other day in Castlebar. I really enjoyed it, found it very funny and quite emotional in places. Loved the music too. The story was somewhat predictable but its a solid addition to Pixar's catalogue.

The screening was 5:10 in the afternoon, was running late so it was like 5:15 when I got there. I missed the La Luna short and the first few minutes of the film, the cinema clearly started the screening ahead of schedule, was absolutely sickened. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I really enjoyed this it must be said and I could not add much more to what people have already said here but I did find it to be more a Disney film than a Pixar one.

It just felt like the Disney hand animated stories, in both the tale and the moral lesson. Not that this is a bad thing but just has me a bit apprehensive for the future of Pixar

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It just felt like the Disney hand animated stories, in both the tale and the moral lesson.

If it was a Disney movie, the father would have died at the start, the Witch would have been the Mother in disguise and she would have died at the end, and the Princess would have kissed the big bad bear and married the Prince he turned into.

And there would have been a wise-cracking animal sidekick, and some song&dance numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Would this hold a seven year old girl's attention?

Shes not into princesses etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Saw it in London and loved it.

If it was a Disney movie, the father would have died at the start, the Witch would have been the Mother in disguise and she would have died at the end, and the Princess would have kissed the big bad bear and married the Prince he turned into.

And there would have been a wise-cracking animal sidekick, and some song&dance numbers.

The horse was the animal sidekick
    Moral lesson about being happy the way you are, with the mother being the bear.
    There was some musical intros starting, where I almost expected the character to break into song.
    The witch had a smart alec crow (there was a cackling witch FFS)

I am not saying that his is a bad thing but it did have the feel of a VERY Disney influenced film

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

OU812 wrote: »

There was a few small kids there when I watched it and they seemed to enjoy it. Weren't making much noise, so must be a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Absolutely loved this - wonderful characters and a cracking story....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

OU812 wrote: »

My 6 year son and his friend sat through it and never twitched once for the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why was the mother so stuck up

can disney do a not a princess movie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

why was the mother so stuck up

can disney do a not a princess movie

You mean like Dumbo? Or The Jungle Book? Or The Rescuers? Or Robin Hood? Or 101 Dalmations? Or Winnie The Pooh? Or The Aristocats? Or The Lion King?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Or indeed every other film Pixar has ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

In fact, have Disney not built an entire industry around the... like... princess thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

What an odd way to bump a two year old thread with a fail haha

This necro thread has gone Zombie and bitten expectationlost on the arse

no i didn't rush to the cinema to see a disney princess movie

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

no i didn't rush to the cinema to see a disney princess movie

What's funny is that the concept of Brave is basically the anti-Disney Princess movie. It purposefully avoids all the tropes of usual Disney princesses. Was a let down in the end though.

Fawk Nin wrote: »
    What's funny is that the concept of Brave is basically the anti-Disney Princess movie. It purposefully avoids all the tropes of usual Disney princesses. Was a let down in the end though.

except she was still a princess, its was "anti-disney princess" princess movie, can they simply not move beyond princess's (whether they want to be a princess or not)

except she was still a princess, its was "anti-disney princess" princess movie, can simply not move beyond princess's (whether they want to be a princess or not)

It's literally the only Pixar film with a Princess in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »

What about Ken in Toy Story 3 :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    one too many, and its a Disney movie

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I thought it was a 'funny little triplets' movie. Didn't really pay too much attention to the princess stuff, tbh...

one too many, and its a Disney movie

How did you end up watching this one-too-many princess movie? Prior to watching was there just enough princess movies and this was the one that broke the camel's back?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    How did you end up watching this one-too-many princess movie? Prior to watching was there just enough princess movies and this was the one that broke the camel's back?

I watched it with my nephews and niece, its 2014 I really thought film makers had moved on

Maybe you need to do a bit more research into what you are going to watch in future

I watched it with my nephews and niece, its 2014 I really thought film makers had moved on

From..what? fairytales will be around forever. Doesn't mean they cant mess around with the ideas in them.

krudler wrote: »
    From..what? fairytales will be around forever. Doesn't mean they cant mess around with the ideas in them.

moved on from princess's

moved on from princess's

The country next door has a princess. A real life one. And they had them in the time that Brave was set. and it's a fairytale. One with a decent female lead character too.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    The country next door has a princess. A real life one. And they had them in the time that Brave was set. and it's a fairytale. One with a decent female lead character too.

Well, now, Kate's only a princess by marriage. Doesn't really count. Lizzy has a sister though, right?

Advertisement