Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 6: Chicken & Chorizo Rice Bake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I made this last night - was really nice!

will use again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Finally getting round to cooking this tonight. Cant wait. I hope my rather fussy OH likes it as he isnt a massive fan of rice but what the hell!

Its perfect as I will pop it in the oven while I go for my jog and it will be done when i get back, hey presto.

I dont have any white wine in the house though, do you think it would be alright without it?

EDIT: Made this as I said and I have to say I was a little disapointed with the flavour.
    The lack of wine must have made a huge difference to the tate as I found it a little bland. I also used basmati rice so maybe that made a difference. I loved the chorizo though! Yummy, I will definately use chorizo more in receipes.
    will try again with wine perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Mmmm.... was going to do the pork belly this fri, but have changed my mind.... looks like perfect thesis writing food... loads of left overs!

Pork belly may wait until next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Dinkie wrote: »
    Mmmm.... was going to do the pork belly this fri, but have changed my mind.... looks like perfect thesis writing food... loads of left overs!

Pork belly may wait until next week!

This was yummy! and there was enough for the next day. Forgot to take a picture of it, but it looked lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Glad you liked it. Hope it was god fuel for your thesis!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm on late shift all this week, so I've just whacked up a load of this for dinners in work for the week.

I've put a bit of paprika and some chilli powder into it, and also add mushrooms and red peppers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've cooked this dish several times now. This is just some info for people going to try this dish for the first time; make sure to use the dry white wine and the skinny chorizo. I made the mistake of using a medium wine and the 'fat' chorizo (not as spicey as the skinny version) and it wasn't a fraction as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Made this for dinner yesterday. It was gorgeous, no chance to take pictures cos I was far too hungry. I added some peas and chopped mushrooms to the mix for an extra bit of flavour. I'll definitely be making it again.

If I had to be very critical, the chicken was a tiny bit overcooked and some of the rice was a tiny bit undercooked. Slightly lower oven temperature should hopefully resolve both of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I made this earlier this week. I added a handful of petit pois and some ramiro pepper and used less chicken. Really delicious! I'll definitely make this again!

attachment.php?attachmentid=126229&stc=1&d=1283357832

I posted more detail on my blog (http://wp.me/pElV8-k2)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Made this last night and it went down very well. I suspect a new regular for this household. Thanks to OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Made this tonight for the family and it went down a treat, clean plates all round.

Marinaded the chicken in paprika, pepper, cayenne and garlic for half the day first and added peas and mushrooms to the pot to add colour + healthy veg. Had a bit of trouble getting the top half of the rice cooked and had to end up stirring it and adding more liquid but it still tasted great. Fired a mix of basil and parsley on top at the end.

1002193e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Just made this last night for my roomates and myself.
    Excellent, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We made this one tonight, nice1franko. Turned out lovely again!

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=7799

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Making this today and going to portion it up into freezer tubs. Do the same with a stew im going to make.
    Eat like a king for the way :pac:

Have this in the oven now.
    Had no wine in the house (which is weird) so used half a bottle of bitter instead, also added six small birdseye chillies, a teaspoon of mild chilli powder and a pinch of saffron as I had the laying around and I thought they'd really compliment the dish.

Will report back in about 45 minutes re; taste.

sounds lovely. just had pan fried chicken n chorizo with a chilli tomato sauce n pasta there. Lord, it was good.

Did you put the chilis in whole or chopped n de-seeded? the only thing you have to watch for when you sub liquids in this dish is that you get the right amount in for the rice to absorb. touch or too little ruins it so keep an eye out!

I think there might have been slightly too much but ill see how it come out in about 10 minutes.

I just chopped them whole. They were only tiny little birdseye chillies, they won't blow the head off my but they will warm it up a bit :).

I've made slightly more than the recipe says too, used 6 breasts, a little more rice and a little extra liquid, but like i said, i might have used a little too much liquid.

Almost forgot, also added a few handfulls of petit pois and some mushrooms as im trying to bulk it out as much as i can to get as many portions as i can out of it. on an economy drive for the next 6 months!

Lighting and camera on the phone dont do it justice. it's a nice dark yellow/orange, very moist, rice is perfect, tastes amazing. Thanks for the recipe franko!

2qmjmv5.jpg

5 BIG portions, doing to more dished tomorrow, between the 3 of them I will have enough food cooked for almost 3 weeks. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Huge thanks for the recipe. Made this for my dad and sister tonight since mum is in hospital for the week. Was very handy to cook after getting in late from work and tasted unbelievably good. Have leftovers already packed for lunch tomorrow. Will be making this regularly I think. Gently fried off some sliced mushrooms in the chorizo oil which turned out great. Might add some red peppers, peas and a bit of chilli next time. Delicious

fxcam1290542490914.jpg

I knew it wouldnt be long before I made this again. Gonna make another batch tonight for dinner/lunch :)

• Advertisement

Round 2:

fxcam1291147425043.jpg

This time I added 1 whole chilli (seeds in), lots of mushrooms, 1 small red pepper (mostly for color) and the juice of half a lime. Used 300g of chorizo, 200ml wine (more rice this time) and cracked a good bit of black pepper into it.

Delicious again and have it with me today for lunch. I could eat this stuff all day :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Do you think it's better with the chilli, pepper and lime?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Made this last night (and having tonight too!). Was nice but slightly bland. However, may have been down to my pot which was too small to properly brown all the chicken. Will try again with some chilli and maybe red wine instead of white.

There should be buckets and buckets of flavour in there from the chorizo and chicken stock alone.

The garlic and white wine enhances it and cooking it all down intensifies it even more. Browning the meat does help the flavour but is more for appearance and texture (no greasy white skin). If the meat is on the bone it'll be more succulent and will help with flavour too.

What stock did you use and how much chorizo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Can anyone recommend a good brand/place to buy the chorizo, I tried this a few weeks back and was dissapointed with the one I got in tesco ( my fault for going to Tesco in the 1st place I know )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

There should be buckets and buckets of flavour in there from the chorizo and chicken stock alone.

The garlic and white wine enhances it and cooking it all down intensifies it even more. Browning the meat does help the flavour but is more for appearance and texture (no greasy white skin). If the meat is on the bone it'll be more succulent and will help with flavour too.

What stock did you use and how much chorizo?

Just used a stock cube (hey, all I had!). Only makes 450ml so added 150ml passata too. Started with about 150g chorizo, but admittedly not all of that made it through to the end. :o Had to use skin-off fillets too; might try again with chicken thighs next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Finally got round to making this tonight. It best be good, because herself is complaining at how late it is that we're eating... and it's still in the oven!

(Dunno what she's on about, we already had garlic bread and there are chocolate biscuits everywhere :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I made this again tonight, this time for my parents who were very impressed! Extremely tasty, just wish my OH liked it so I could cook it regularly :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

I finally got around to making this today - yum yum yum. Simple and tasty, and very little work involved. Just the ticket after a busy day.

Next time I will try to incorporate some veg - maybe mushrooms... I'm not sure what else. But that's just personal preference - it was delicious as it was. Thanks for the recipe

• Advertisement

Made this again tonight. One of my faves and can make it without the recipe now. Very handy for bringing into work for lunch too. Tonight I added some cajun spice to the chicken breasts (skinless so the spice adds a little flavour) and fried them off. The mushrooms are a must now but didnt bother with any chilli or herbs because i was in a rush. Came out just as delicious as every other time :-) Already looking forward to seconds for lunch tomorrow :P

Advertisement