Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Cycling Championships 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Does she have a Stradelli TT bike? If so, I saw exactly what the issue was right beside me at the check and in the carpark afterwards.

Come on-spit it out. The curiousity is killing this cat!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Does Mullen get to keep the rr title or just the U23 title?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

stecleary wrote: »
    Does Mullen get to keep the rr title or just the UK title?

Was just about to ask the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Mullen is some prospect. Made that look easy in the end. Beat a decent field too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

^^ yeah - great result for him.

I think he will be U23 rr champion because it goes by the UCI cat on his licence, but i could be wrong.

• Advertisement

I think he gets the elite road race title too, I hope so anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I think he gets the elite road race title too, I hope so anyway.

He didn't get the TT so i assume he doesn't get the road race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Sean Downey is the new Elite Champion.

What's the purpose of the distinction between under 23 and elite? Surely if you win you should get both? Will the record books say Mullen or Downey?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What's the purpose of the distinction between under 23 and elite? Surely if you win you should get both? Will the record books say Mullen or Downey?

you are racing in a the category for which you have a licence. If your licence says elite you can win the elite, if it says u23 you can win the u23, veteran can win vets cship etc AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I imagine, the U23 category, was introduced, to give young seniors a chance . See, how that worked out.
    The records will show, that Downey, is the Elite Champion. He will also have the jersey and the gold medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

It doesn't matter. We all know who won and how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

He was awarded both jerseys in the presentation for whatever that's worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

yeah think he gets both in RR but not TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

He is both elite and u23 champion.I have no idea what the difference between TT rules and R/R Rules are??.Beasty mentioned something in this regard earlier.enlighten me.Anyway a worthy champion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

some ride from mullen, just rode away from the break with 2 laps to go

great day really well organised by lakeside wheelers, well done.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

morana wrote: »
    yeah think he gets both in RR but not TT
    Doesn't stack up with the decisions taken at last year's track championships. The explanation given was if there's a champioship for your category you quanlify for that but not any other category. Hence as there were separate vets championships for men anyone with a vet licence could not take part in the senior champioships. As there was no separate women's vets championships the veteran women could take part in the their senior championships

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GMCI

16. In respect of the Senior Road Race Championship where the first rider placed is an U23 (Espoir) rider then the National Champion’s Jersey will be awarded to this rider and this will be the only Jersey awarded.
    Where the first rider placed is an Elite rider then he will receive the National Champion’s Jersey as will the first U23 (Espoir) rider placed who will be known as the National U23 (Espoir) Champion.
    17. In respect of the Senior Road Race Championship there will be 2 sets of Individual Medals relative to the two categories and in the situation where an U23 (Espoir) rider is one of the first three riders placed then he will receive two medals.

just as an aside - i didnt get there for the start, what happened to deignan did he even start ?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

WINNING ODDS:

Mullen 33-1
    Downey 25-1
    O'Brien 16-1

Holy Moly, thats some trio, not to mention McCrystal @25-1 4th. With none of the major favourites on the podium, twould be probably near 20,000-1 if we were betting on the tote!!! Great race to watch and the whole set-up in Multi was fantastic; probably the best I have seen. Didn't have a bet, though really fancied Bennett if I was being honest.

• Advertisement

thanks for the clarification GMCI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Great day out, well done to Lakeside Wheelers for all the marshalling/organising. Mullen was flying on the last two laps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

a few pics from today , great day

a few more

more pics

another few :)

Smalltom wrote: »
    Come on-spit it out. The curiousity is killing this cat!!!

She had a similar setup to the one below with a load of spacers between the arm rests and the bit where the brake levers are. The issue, from what I gathered is that there was a distance in excess of 10cm from the arm rest to the brake levers and that this was against THE RULES!

312827.jpg

The chap from CI had a metal doo-hickey that looked a bit like a police baton or a techincal drawing t-square. He held this upside down beside the arm rest with the long piece pointing forward and said that she was outside of the limits. I didn't understand how he could calculate that as there was no measuring tape, not did he angle his device in such a way as to demonstrate his point. It was just a case of it is not allowed, end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think that 10cm rule was amended towards the end of last year and was fully effective for this season. I guess a few could get caught out by it as it is new and there are few events where the mneasuring jig is used. Can't blame the scrutineers - they are required to apply UCI rules. Not that many riders adopt such an extreme position, but my understanding is there are advantages to it, certainly for some. There were one or two oither tweaks introduced IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

The chap from CI had a metal doo-hickey that looked a bit like a police baton or a techincal drawing t-square.

The technical t-square turns into a police baton when you start to argue with them.
    I'd love to stick my bike through this test, they'd probably just hit me over the head with their doo-Hickey and tell me to go away.:D

The technical t-square turns into a police baton when you start to argue with them.
    I'd love to stick my bike through this test, they'd probably just hit me over the head with their doo-Hickey and tell me to go away.:D

I went back to him at least three times on the night. I'd say he was sick of the sight of me by the last time and just let me go to get rid of me!

Beasty wrote: »
    I think that 10cm rule was amended towards the end of last year and was fully effective for this season. I guess a few could get caught out by it as it is new and there are few events where the mneasuring jig is used. Can't blame the scrutineers - they are required to apply UCI rules. Not that many riders adopt such an extreme position, but my understanding is there are advantages to it, certainly for some. There were one or two oither tweaks introduced IIRC.

Is it not a vertical measurement though, rather than a diagonal one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

sheepfield wrote: »
    WINNING ODDS:

Mullen 33-1
    Downey 25-1
    O'Brien 16-1

Holy Moly, thats some trio, not to mention McCrystal @25-1 4th. With none of the major favourites on the podium, twould be probably near 20,000-1 if we were betting on the tote!!! Great race to watch and the whole set-up in Multi was fantastic; probably the best I have seen. Didn't have a bet, though really fancied Bennett if I was being honest.

I tweeted the 1-2-3 but had Bennett as the winner

had both Downey and Paidi backed - Paidi was flying in Clare last week and is just so smart always. Downey was always motoring and was overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

I went back to him at least three times on the night. I'd say he was sick of the sight of me by the last time and just let me go to get rid of me!
    The main thing is, they cracked first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was down in Multy for the weekend, and have to compliment Lakeside on a great set of National Champs. Whatever about the comms on Thursday night (which is out of their control as I understand it), even as we waited around on Saturday to hear the news, they fed us and kept us informed of what the latest from the Gardaí was. In the end, they made the only call they could. What happened was tragic, and in the grand scheme of things, it's only a bike race. Hopefully the women will get their day in the sun (literally) soon enough.

The men's race was bloody tough for the first two laps, then eased off as the big guns gradually slipped away up the road. Crowds were brilliant, roads were lovely and smooth, Gaybo was as entertaining as ever, and the atmosphere was just fantastic. I had some non-cycling friends in the area, and even they had a great day out - there was a real festival feel to the village, with a market and a playground to keep you distracted between laps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

buffalo wrote: »
    Was down in Multy for the weekend, and have to compliment Lakeside on a great set of National Champs. Whatever about the comms on Thursday night (which is out of their control as I understand it), even as we waited around on Saturday to hear the news, they fed us and kept us informed of what the latest from the Gardaí was. In the end, they made the only call they could. What happened was tragic, and in the grand scheme of things, it's only a bike race. Hopefully the women will get their day in the sun (literally) soon enough.

The men's race was bloody tough for the first two laps, then eased off as the big guns gradually slipped away up the road. Crowds were brilliant, roads were lovely and smooth, Gaybo was as entertaining as ever, and the atmosphere was just fantastic. I had some non-cycling friends in the area, and even they had a great day out - there was a real festival feel to the village, with a market and a playground to keep you distracted between laps.

that your first Senior Nationals Buffalo ? Great to to be involved in it no matter how the race goes, always a brilliant race.

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    that your first Senior Nationals Buffalo ? Great to to be involved in it no matter how the race goes, always a brilliant race.

Road Race Champs, yes.

Went better for me than the lad from Carrick whose pedal came off the crank about 4km in! Was still stuck to the cleat thankfully, and he and all behind stayed upright thankfully!

Is it not a vertical measurement though, rather than a diagonal one?
    The UCI sent a letter out to manufacturers which included the following
    The height difference between the point of support for the elbows and the highest and lowest points of the handlebar extension (including the gear levers) shall be less than 10 cm in order to guarantee that the forearms are horizontal
    Not sure what you're getting at referring to "diagonal". It's the vertical distance we are talking about, but the lowest point is likely to be at a different point horizontally than the elbow support, so the measurements can be taken in different places with the difference being determined by the respective heights above ground level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Ladies and Vets races rescheduled for Sept 20th.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/women-and-vets-national-championships-rescheduled/286

5 days of recovery for the ladies after Ras na mBan!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Congratulation to Lakeside Wheelers on a fantastically run race today. Major kudos too to the residents of Multyfarnham and Westmeath Co Co, many thanks. And what a finish, such a beautiful place. Only completed 4 of the 6 laps myself so got to see the business end of the race finish. Super win for Keith Gater and the other 2 in the break to fill the podium. And what a ride by Greg Swinard, nearly caught the break on last lap, made up mountains of time on last lap.

Fiona Meade. #hero

Was down looking at it myself , another great day hosted be lakeside wheelers , Fiona Meade had a great race finished off by a sprint finish , only saw one accident at the corner just at the start / finish area , poor Orwell girl and ucd girl came down I think it was a pedal hitting the ground on the bend , ucd girl got up and finished the race but the Orwell girl wasn't as lucky , she had to get brough off in the ambulance , Keith Gater also played a blinder with a fantastic last lap pulling away from the 2 carrick lads , swinand could have placed if he made his move a bit sooner he just ran out of road. Great day over all.

Few pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Great day, joy to race on closed roads in a well mannered bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

sullzz wrote: »

I wish my calves were like the guys on the right :|

Zyzz wrote: »
    I wish my calves were like the guys on the right :|
    I've got his contact details if you want to make him an offer:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement