Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Cycling Championships 2014

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    The chap from CI had a metal doo-hickey that looked a bit like a police baton or a techincal drawing t-square.

The technical t-square turns into a police baton when you start to argue with them.
    I'd love to stick my bike through this test, they'd probably just hit me over the head with their doo-Hickey and tell me to go away.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

The technical t-square turns into a police baton when you start to argue with them.
    I'd love to stick my bike through this test, they'd probably just hit me over the head with their doo-Hickey and tell me to go away.:D

I went back to him at least three times on the night. I'd say he was sick of the sight of me by the last time and just let me go to get rid of me!

Beasty wrote: »
    I think that 10cm rule was amended towards the end of last year and was fully effective for this season. I guess a few could get caught out by it as it is new and there are few events where the mneasuring jig is used. Can't blame the scrutineers - they are required to apply UCI rules. Not that many riders adopt such an extreme position, but my understanding is there are advantages to it, certainly for some. There were one or two oither tweaks introduced IIRC.

Is it not a vertical measurement though, rather than a diagonal one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

sheepfield wrote: »
    WINNING ODDS:

Mullen 33-1
    Downey 25-1
    O'Brien 16-1

Holy Moly, thats some trio, not to mention McCrystal @25-1 4th. With none of the major favourites on the podium, twould be probably near 20,000-1 if we were betting on the tote!!! Great race to watch and the whole set-up in Multi was fantastic; probably the best I have seen. Didn't have a bet, though really fancied Bennett if I was being honest.

I tweeted the 1-2-3 but had Bennett as the winner

had both Downey and Paidi backed - Paidi was flying in Clare last week and is just so smart always. Downey was always motoring and was overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I went back to him at least three times on the night. I'd say he was sick of the sight of me by the last time and just let me go to get rid of me!
    The main thing is, they cracked first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was down in Multy for the weekend, and have to compliment Lakeside on a great set of National Champs. Whatever about the comms on Thursday night (which is out of their control as I understand it), even as we waited around on Saturday to hear the news, they fed us and kept us informed of what the latest from the Gardaí was. In the end, they made the only call they could. What happened was tragic, and in the grand scheme of things, it's only a bike race. Hopefully the women will get their day in the sun (literally) soon enough.

The men's race was bloody tough for the first two laps, then eased off as the big guns gradually slipped away up the road. Crowds were brilliant, roads were lovely and smooth, Gaybo was as entertaining as ever, and the atmosphere was just fantastic. I had some non-cycling friends in the area, and even they had a great day out - there was a real festival feel to the village, with a market and a playground to keep you distracted between laps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

buffalo wrote: »
    Was down in Multy for the weekend, and have to compliment Lakeside on a great set of National Champs. Whatever about the comms on Thursday night (which is out of their control as I understand it), even as we waited around on Saturday to hear the news, they fed us and kept us informed of what the latest from the Gardaí was. In the end, they made the only call they could. What happened was tragic, and in the grand scheme of things, it's only a bike race. Hopefully the women will get their day in the sun (literally) soon enough.

The men's race was bloody tough for the first two laps, then eased off as the big guns gradually slipped away up the road. Crowds were brilliant, roads were lovely and smooth, Gaybo was as entertaining as ever, and the atmosphere was just fantastic. I had some non-cycling friends in the area, and even they had a great day out - there was a real festival feel to the village, with a market and a playground to keep you distracted between laps.

that your first Senior Nationals Buffalo ? Great to to be involved in it no matter how the race goes, always a brilliant race.

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    that your first Senior Nationals Buffalo ? Great to to be involved in it no matter how the race goes, always a brilliant race.

Road Race Champs, yes.

Went better for me than the lad from Carrick whose pedal came off the crank about 4km in! Was still stuck to the cleat thankfully, and he and all behind stayed upright thankfully!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is it not a vertical measurement though, rather than a diagonal one?
    The UCI sent a letter out to manufacturers which included the following
    The height difference between the point of support for the elbows and the highest and lowest points of the handlebar extension (including the gear levers) shall be less than 10 cm in order to guarantee that the forearms are horizontal
    Not sure what you're getting at referring to "diagonal". It's the vertical distance we are talking about, but the lowest point is likely to be at a different point horizontally than the elbow support, so the measurements can be taken in different places with the difference being determined by the respective heights above ground level

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Ladies and Vets races rescheduled for Sept 20th.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/women-and-vets-national-championships-rescheduled/286

5 days of recovery for the ladies after Ras na mBan!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Congratulation to Lakeside Wheelers on a fantastically run race today. Major kudos too to the residents of Multyfarnham and Westmeath Co Co, many thanks. And what a finish, such a beautiful place. Only completed 4 of the 6 laps myself so got to see the business end of the race finish. Super win for Keith Gater and the other 2 in the break to fill the podium. And what a ride by Greg Swinard, nearly caught the break on last lap, made up mountains of time on last lap.

Fiona Meade. #hero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Was down looking at it myself , another great day hosted be lakeside wheelers , Fiona Meade had a great race finished off by a sprint finish , only saw one accident at the corner just at the start / finish area , poor Orwell girl and ucd girl came down I think it was a pedal hitting the ground on the bend , ucd girl got up and finished the race but the Orwell girl wasn't as lucky , she had to get brough off in the ambulance , Keith Gater also played a blinder with a fantastic last lap pulling away from the 2 carrick lads , swinand could have placed if he made his move a bit sooner he just ran out of road. Great day over all.

Few pics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Great day, joy to race on closed roads in a well mannered bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

sullzz wrote: »

I wish my calves were like the guys on the right :|

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zyzz wrote: »
    I wish my calves were like the guys on the right :|
    I've got his contact details if you want to make him an offer:p

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any ideas as to which clubs might be in the mix for the staging of next year's nationals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

I've got his contact details if you want to make him an offer:p

5 National medals in one week isn't a bad haul for him ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Junior wrote: »
    5 National medals in one week isn't a bad haul for him ..

Pretty average for him in recent times I would have said !

I was with him when he just missed out on a bronze at World championship level around this time last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

I was with him when he just missed out on a bronze at World championship level around this time last year...

Hopefully he can get a medal there this year .. Anyways well done to Keith for the win, and fairplay to Rory for what was his 2nd race this year I think.

Does anyone have any ideas as to which clubs might be in the mix for the staging of next year's nationals?
    Is it due to be held in Ulster? If so I'm sure Cycling Ulster will be on the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭wav1

Is it due to be held in Ulster? If so I'm sure Cycling Ulster will be on the case
    On the four province cycle its due in Ulster and I'd be pretty sure it will.
    Having said that,it was due to be in Connaght this ry but AFAIK no takers.
    Never a queue out the door to take these things on.

wav1 wrote: »
    On the four province cycle its due in Ulster and I'd be pretty sure it will.
    Having said that,it was due to be in Connaght this ry but AFAIK no takers.
    Never a queue out the door to take these things on.

Swords should do it in Fingal.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Swords should do it in Fingal.

We'd have to build our own private roads for that to happen :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement