Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Can anyone tell me what very obvious thing I'm missing in chrome to shut down tabs? There used to be a helpful x on the left which has now disappeared. :)

All your tabs in chrome are located under the square button. Just swipe away.

It's one aspect I don't like about lollipop if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Had this issue myself, they have incorporated chrome tabs into the apps and everything else tabs, which is a pretty good function on this release. To get back to normal go into settings in chrome and turn "merge tabs and apps" off.

Good man jimmy. Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

All your tabs in chrome are located under the square button. Just swipe away.

It's one aspect I don't like about lollipop if I'm honest.

you can just change it back to the old way if you want. Just in chrome hit the 3 dots/settings/merge tabs and apps and press no and your done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Saw your nan Jimmy's posy just after I posted it. Changed and all now. Boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Harps wrote: »
    Updated this morning, haven't had any bugs or problems though it does seem to have slowed my phone down a bit. A lot of visual changes and small tweaks but I haven't come across many obvious improvements in functionality or user experience. I'll play around with it a bit but I'm a bit underwhelmed so far

Mine has slowed down a lot since updating :-( Not impressed so far!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

madmoe wrote: »

Clear your cache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Mine was very sluggish for the first few hours but after that I haven't noticed any difference from KitKat

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    Clear your cache

Is it possible to cleat the cache globally!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

How do I go back to the previous version of Android before lollipop? Having so many problems with the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

bastard lolipop, exchange mail no longer syncs and also causes the mail app to stop responding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

How do I go back to the previous version of Android before lollipop? Having so many problems with the new one.

Using this tool to downgrade and can also use it to root etc.

http://www.wugfresh.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am happy with Lollipop.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shimmy Jimmy CocoPop

Discodog wrote: »
    I am happy with Lollipop.

Me too(with the KitKat launcher). Can only get better with the further updates to come. Definite improvement in battery performance too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Smart Lock alone (Trusted Places on the not-officially-out Play Services update) makes it worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

My Google Play Services updated last night and now I have trusted places, so it is definitely rolling out as-we-speak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pineapple*soul

Sorry for derailing the conversation here, but does anyone know where in Ireland I can get a Nexus 5, the play store is out of stock.

Also, does it make any difference if you don't get it in the play store (with warranties, etc.)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Is there any known WiFi issues with Android L? I'm having trouble since the update. Won't connect half the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sorry for derailing the conversation here, but does anyone know where in Ireland I can get a Nexus 5, the play store is out of stock.

Also, does it make any difference if you don't get it in the play store (with warranties, etc.)?

It's going to be increasingly harder to buy one as Google are stopping production. I was lucky to buy Nexus 5 on the Play Store about 2 weeks ago.

You could check to see if there are any new/unused/unopened ones on Adverts.

I got mine on eBay. There are plenty on there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Amazon.co.uk still have some, not exactly in Ireland but still a reliable bunch to buy from should anything go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'm having terrible battery drain every now and again for seemingly no reason since updating, this morning I'm already down to 64% after 4 hours with the screen only on for 10 minutes. Nothing on the battery usage list that seems out of place so I'm not sure what's causing it

I'm having terrible battery drain every now and again for seemingly no reason since updating, this morning I'm already down to 64% after 4 hours with the screen only on for 10 minutes. Nothing on the battery usage list that seems out of place so I'm not sure what's causing it

Reboot your phone & see if it cures the problem. There was a bug that leaves the camera on in the background

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yeah my battery is getting murdered as well. Used to get the whole day out of it no problem, now its at 5% by 7 in the evening. Not impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

guys! (about €250) without invite for the 64GB black in today's Black Friday deal.

But they don't deliver to Ireland. What can I do?!?

Parcel motel.

So there is no Silent option on Android 5 you can only lower to vibrate. I found out to my detriment in an important meeting when my pocket started vibrating and distracting me. Bit of a joke really, why leave this option out. Never understood why they left out auto rotation in KitKat either. Im also getting random "!" on the wifi and phone signal even at full bar and working perfect. Theres deffo a few bugs to be sorted for 5.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Yeah my battery is getting murdered as well. Used to get the whole day out of it no problem, now its at 5% by 7 in the evening. Not impressed.

Twice since update I have had something randomly eating the battery - once it was hola app and other time nothing was showing. Apart from that (solved by restart) it seems better than KitKat to me but haven't measured it properly yet tbh.

So there is no Silent option on Android 5 you can only lower to vibrate. I found out to my detriment in an important meeting when my pocket started vibrating and distracting me. Bit of a joke really, why leave this option out. Never understood why they left out auto rotation in KitKat either. Im also getting random "!" on the wifi and phone signal even at full bar and working perfect. Theres deffo a few bugs to be sorted for 5.1

There is a silent option. When you press on the volume rocker button to bring up the volume. Click the NONE option and select indefinitely. This is silent mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    There is a silent option. When you press on the volume rocker button to bring up the volume. Click the NONE option and select indefinitely. This is silent mode.

Yeah but it's stupid because alarms won't play then, so it's pretty useless for night time!

Doesn't NONE turn off notifications entirely?

Yeah but it's stupid because alarms won't play then, so it's pretty useless for night time!

You can then set to middle option priority mode. Then set in Settings> Sound & Notification>Interruptions. Disable Events & Reminders, Calls & Messages. Alarms will still work with this setting but nothing else will.

Sure, it's a long way around it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

You can then set to middle option priority mode. Then set in Settings> Sound & Notification>Interruptions. Disable Events & Reminders, Calls & Messages. Alarms will still work with this setting but nothing else will.

Sure, it's a long way around it.

Oh perfect, I knew there had to be a way :pac: Thanks.

Cheers for that but it was so much easier just turning the volume all the way down! Little tweaks like this are annoying but I like the new release overall.

I also had the issue on KitKat, there's a lot of android forums about the issue but I thought it would be fixed. Its connected with Skype, Snapchat or other apps using the camera. The camera stays on in the background and drains the battery. The only way I got it to stop was to delete Skype, not ideal but does work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone finding their phone much slower on lollipop compared to kitkat? That's was one of the major reasons I went for the nexus 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Anyone finding their phone much slower on lollipop compared to kitkat? That's was one of the major reasons I went for the nexus 5.

I found it slow at first but after the first night and a reboot it was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

matrim wrote:
    I found it slow at first but after the first night and a reboot it was fine.

Mine is definitely still much slower. I'll have to look into how to clear the cache or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

upgrading to a major software revision is often very buggy. Clean install of a factory image is the best way to go really. Did it for nexus 5 and nexus 7 2012. Working perfectly

Cheers for that but it was so much easier just turning the volume all the way down! Little tweaks like this are annoying but I like the new release overall.

I totally agree with you on that one! I loved being able to hold the power button down and then just hit the silence toggle! Quick and easy!!

Cheers,
    M

I totally agree with you on that one! I loved being able to hold the power button down and then just hit the silence toggle! Quick and easy!!

Cheers,
    M

While it's not exactly the same, just press one of the volume buttons and hit the icon. Only puts it to Vibrate though, not silent.

Blacktie. wrote: »

No I can't see any difference in mine & some apps like gmail are definitely quicker.

• Advertisement

I also had the issue on KitKat, there's a lot of android forums about the issue but I thought it would be fixed. Its connected with Skype, Snapchat or other apps using the camera. The camera stays on in the background and drains the battery. The only way I got it to stop was to delete Skype, not ideal but does work.

I had it once but a reboot cured it. This is the best answer. It shows how many milliamps the phone is drawing & you can set an alarm if the drain is above a preset level.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manor.currentwidget&hl=en-GB

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

I just bought a nexus 5 and i'm wondering should i update it straight away to lollipop or should I stick with KitKat for a while?
    What do you recommend?

I just bought a nexus 5 and i'm wondering should i update it straight away to lollipop or should I stick with KitKat for a while?
    What do you recommend?

Take a look at lollipop on youtube videos and see how you like it compared to KitKat

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

What do you recommend?

Update it - in my opinion lollipop is far superior to kit kat.

writhen wrote: »

That's why I suggest checking out videos. It's down to peoples personal preferences and opinions. I'm still indifferent myself.

Take a look at lollipop on youtube videos and see how you like it compared to KitKat

Thats actually quite a difference, cant understand how and why they would let lolipop be slower. Surely further updates will speed it up though.

writhen wrote: »

Totally agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Where can I buy a nexus 5 at the moment? But not done deal or adverts, hearing way too many hassle stories.

bren2002 wrote: »
    Where can I buy a nexus 5 at the moment? But not done deal or adverts, hearing way too many hassle stories.

I got mine new on ebay .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Any rumours as to whether Google will do a 2015 edition of the Nexus 5 or not?

Advertisement