Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save post as draft

Options
  • 13-03-2015 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi feedback forum,

I was writing a reply to a poster earlier and I clicked on the 'Preview Post' button. Then I was thinking maybe won't post it and come back to the thread later. Usually if it's a detailed post I will copy the text to notepad or the like and either post at a later date or just discard.

Then I thought what if I could save this post for later? A kind of 'save as draft' feature.

Just a suggestion of some 'save as draft' feature. Possibly to save on server space set a timer of 1 or 2 days for it to be discarded and not include images, only text.

Thanks
    SM

Edit: damn I should have searched first. I found a thread from 2011 already asking same question. Sure maybe minds have changed and technology has progressed since then :o
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There's no ability to do this currently but I'd imagine bringing in that capability must be fairly high on the list given that practically every other social platform has it.

I'd say it's a restriction due to the vBulletin software, which I understand is being removed in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

that capability must be fairly high on the list given that practically every other social platform has it.
    ? Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, 4chan, SomethingAwful... none of them have that functionality

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

28064212 wrote: »
    ? Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, 4chan, SomethingAwful... none of them have that functionality

In fairness, Twitter does and I think FB does aswell - not sure about the others, don't really use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

28064212 wrote: »

Doesn't mean boards has to go with them, Twitter has it but hard to find now(on ios app anyway), Facebook doesn't as Grand_Rajnah said.

Wouldn't find a drafts section or a notes section,very handy as some people that come up with threads they might like to discuss but won't be around for a few hours after to contribute to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'd definitely be in favour of this, the odd time for writing race previews I'd spend 20 minutes or more on it, would be good if I could save it here. Not a big deal to just save it to a notepad either though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

I'd definitely be in favour of this, the odd time for writing race previews I'd spend 20 minutes or more on it, would be good if I could save it here. Not a big deal to just save it to a notepad either though.

I think it would be particularly useful for posting from a mobile device (which i do majority of posting from) where notepad etc. are not an option

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Doesn't mean boards has to go with them, Twitter has it but hard to find now(on ios app anyway), Facebook doesn't as Grand_Rajnah said.

Apologies, I use FB mostly for work managing my company's page. When you are posting as a business, there is a Save as Draft option, however you're correct, when you're posting on your personal page it doesn't, hence my confusion!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I think I've seen a draft save ability on some vBulletin sites.............I vaguely remember a question asking about it.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I think a 'save draft' or something similar would be great, especially for anyone logging their training, it means you could log every day and just save as a draft and not post until you have several days together. Currently do this in word online & then copy & paste so its just a convenience thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Just as a stop gap, might I recommend Lazarus which is a browser plug-in that recovers form text in the case of accidental tab closure or a page time-out etc.

Firefox / Chrome

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Coincidentally, I remember reading at some point that a boardsie had made a Chrome plug-in for Boards with various enhancements, like total ignore. Does anyone remember what it was called?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Coincidentally, I remember reading at some point that a boardsie had made a Chrome plug-in for Boards with various enhancements, like total ignore. Does anyone remember what it was called?
    Me? Although they're Greasemonkey scripts, not a Chrome plug-in. Oh, and if you want to install any of them, be sure to check out post #23, the original site hosting them was taken down

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement