Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Notes / Bannings

Options
  • 23-09-2010 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

In the Anglo Irish Staff Suicide thread, 'Mod Notes' were added to posts when the user received a ban for their contribution, such as in the following post.

This is something I feel should become standard, as obviously if someone is banned, they might not necessarily get infracted and so the post not displaying a 'yellow' or 'red card' makes it appear as if no action has been taken and that it needs further reporting, which may not be the case at all.

The Mod Note solves all that.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

It does and it is a good idea that is used by some mods already. Definitely worth bringing up in the mods forum which, ideally, all mods would read and give their viewpoints on.

One place it wont work though iirc is when a batch of posts get deleted as spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It need not be necessary to leave offensive content. Sometimes it might be better to edit out some or all of what is said, and the mod note might include "Offensive content deleted".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,862 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Curiousness: why wasn't a card included as part of the ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

It need not be necessary to leave offensive content. Sometimes it might be better to edit out some or all of what is said, and the mod note might include "Offensive content deleted".

The rationale behind not removing it would be perhaps to act as an example of what type of posts earns a ban, regardless of the offending poster actually being right!

Politicans use differant words to say the same thing..

"You are a fcuking idiot"

becomes

"Your naivety and clearly misinformed opinion is a reflection of the power of lowbrow media"

snyper wrote: »
    The rationale behind not removing it would be perhaps to act as an example of what type of posts earns a ban, regardless of the offending poster actually being right! ...

That's fair enough, to a degree.

But sometimes people post stuff here which could cause hurt or harm to individuals, and that's the sort of content I had in mind.

Defamatory content should also be removed.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough, to a degree.

But sometimes people post stuff here which could cause hurt or harm to individuals, and that's the sort of content I had in mind.

Defamatory content should also be removed.

I dont think anyone would argue with you on that score. Leaving up embarrassing/personal/defamatory imformation would defeat the purpose of the ban/punishment in the first place BUT the content could be edited to give the meaning of what was objectionable rather than just being removed completely.

eg:
    John Doe is a molester and his address is 123 test road, testville, testilvania

moderated post:
    <snipped unfounded accusation and personal details>
    User banned for the above post.

only problem of course it that the mod has to also snip any posts quoting the harmful details as well or it defeats the point.

LoLth wrote: »
    I dont think anyone would argue with you on that score. Leaving up embarrassing/personal/defamatory imformation would defeat the purpose of the ban/punishment in the first place BUT the content could be edited to give the meaning of what was objectionable rather than just being removed completely.

eg:
    John Doe is a molester and his address is 123 test road, testville, testilvania

moderated post:
    <snipped unfounded accusation and personal details>
    User banned for the above post.

only problem of course it that the mod has to also snip any posts quoting the harmful details as well or it defeats the point.

That's pretty well what I had in mind. Hunting down posts that quote the offending material could be a PITA, especially if some time has elapsed before the problem post comes to the mod's attention.

I am sure that I am not the only one who has spotted posts quoting material that has been deleted by mods.

for those that cant see it, the post above me was , ironically considering the thread topic, deleted.

It was deleted because the user was tryign to bump their post count by posting crap. to leave the post intact would only have achieved the posters purpose.

so, a practical demonstration of when a post should be deleted. Now, off to see if the user has done this elsewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I realise I am only new to this forum (I mean Boards not Feedback) but as a newcomer sometimes you can offer something that long-time members may take for granted. This site seems to me to run along the lines of a well run school. New posters take their tone from the senior posters and the Admins and Mods who are held in respect by the majority of the other posters. In general, this has nothing to do with authority or totalitarianism but just a simple respect for justice and decency. I would take my tone from young Tom just as much as I would take it from DeV. Everyone in AH knows that if Javaboy tells you you're wrong then there is a good chance you are wrong, or certainly you should take a good look at yourself.
    But what makes people believe in fairness and that justice is being done is that it is done in the open. It is the reason for having public galleries in a court of law. Unless there is a serious legal issue, I would delete as few posts as possible, regardless of how much pain it may cause, and let the poster face the contempt of the masses. I would rather see no posts deleted, but have mod notes added to them together with the ban imposed and the reasons why. This may be painful for the victims, but ultimately they will know that nothing is being hidden, one way or the other.
    Justice cannot be done in secret. If it is, then it isn't justice. It is just the opinion of those who think they are better fitted to administer justice.
    And that way can only lie totalitarianism, secrecy and elitism.

I realise this is a private website, but it's popularity stems from the essential beliefs of it's subscribers that the post will be judged not the poster. Justice is blind. It is the reason for the blindfold on the statue of justice that is outside every courtroom.

Just my 2c.

AMC

• Registered Users Posts: 31 diocane

I realise I am only new to this forum (I mean Boards not Feedback) but as a newcomer sometimes you can offer something that long-time members may take for granted. This site seems to me to run along the lines of a well run school. New posters take their tone from the senior posters and the Admins and Mods who are held in respect by the majority of the other posters. In general, this has nothing to do with authority or totalitarianism but just a simple respect for justice and decency. I would take my tone from young Tom just as much as I would take it from DeV. Everyone in AH knows that if Javaboy tells you you're wrong then there is a good chance you are wrong, or certainly you should take a good look at yourself.
    But what makes people believe in fairness and that justice is being done is that it is done in the open. It is the reason for having public galleries in a court of law. Unless there is a serious legal issue, I would delete as few posts as possible, regardless of how much pain it may cause, and let the poster face the contempt of the masses. I would rather see no posts deleted, but have mod notes added to them together with the ban imposed and the reasons why. This may be painful for the victims, but ultimately they will know that nothing is being hidden, one way or the other.
    Justice cannot be done in secret. If it is, then it isn't justice. It is just the opinion of those who think they are better fitted to administer justice.
    And that way can only lie totalitarianism, secrecy and elitism.

I realise this is a private website, but it's popularity stems from the essential beliefs of it's subscribers that the post will be judged not the poster. Justice is blind. It is the reason for the blindfold on the statue of justice that is outside every courtroom.

Just my 2c.

AMC

NICE. I am new here too but, by far, this is the most sensible logic I read in this site till now and if I will have to choose a teacher to teach me English - YOU WILL BE MY FAVOURITE.
    I agree totally with the ideas expressed here by YOU (and I will be very proud of myself if someday I will be capable to express my thoughts in English as clear as you do)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Overheal wrote: »
    No need really, mods can view forum ban history as well as infraction history. Ban > infraction.

Users can only see an infraction card while it's active so posting a mod note is more effective in the long term as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Steve wrote: »
    No need really, mods can view forum ban history as well as infraction history. Ban > infraction.

Users can only see an infraction card while it's active so posting a mod note is more effective in the long term as well.

I infract when I ban, if a post breaks the rules enough to warrant a ban then it should also get a point to wards possible site ban imho.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Overheal wrote: »
    Steve wrote: »

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I infract when I ban, if a post breaks the rules enough to warrant a ban then it should also get a point to wards possible site ban imho.

It's OK. I've checked and he hasn't racked up 8 more infractions in the week or so since this post.
    Phew.
    I was worried there.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Was there any need for this childish sneering??

I warned ya, I warned ya I'd permanently ban you if you continued pushing your homophobic agenda but you didn't listen. And now I'm talking to myself because you're banned and can't read this. Lalalalala.

I can't imagine being so obsessed with something negative, can't be good for the soul.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94745710&postcount=14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It seemed a reasonable response to a homophobic troll tbh.

Paddy, would you have been so offended if I had done the same to someone on the opposite side of the debate? Or is your distaste because the poster was arguing [badly] points with which you agree?

Paddy, would you have been so offended if I had done the same to someone on the opposite side of the debate?
    I suspect I may well be waiting some time for such a scenario to arise;)
    Or is your distaste because the poster was arguing [badly] points with which you agree?
    Not at all, I only wish you hadn't acted so hastily and childishly in closing the thread.
    I think a discussion about right-on do-gooders protesting in front of totally innocent D&G retail staff would be very interesting....

Anyhoo, here's a pic of Elton the day after his hissy fit....

RFKfVPA.jpg

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I suspect I may well be waiting some time for such a scenario to arise;)Not at all, I only wish you hadn't acted so hastily and childishly in closing the thread.
    I think a discussion about right-on do-gooders protesting in front of totally innocent D&G retail staff would be very interesting....

Anyhoo, here's a pic of Elton the day after his hissy fit....

Well, for the record, I've banned plenty of people on the other side too.

The post was not childish, it was light hearted. It was a jibe at myself for posting something the user can't see.

And no, I'm not leaving a thread like that open where the OP is homophobic (which is confirmed a hundred times over in the disgustingly abusive PM he sent me).

If anyone else wants to start a reasonable discussion on what you're discussing above, then they are of course welcome to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Then start one instead of having your own hissy fit storming into feedback to support a thread that openly disrespected millions of real people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Ah remember Outlaw Pete :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You should be banned for complaining about what Whoopsie wrote tbh.

Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Super-Rush wrote: »
    You should be banned for complaining about what Whoopsie wrote tbh.

Bloody hell.

What do you expect from a guy who posts this?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What do you expect from a guy who posts this?

Please don't drag up other people's old posts and bring them here. This forum is for site feedback, not point scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Well, for the record, I've banned plenty of people on the other side too.

The post was not childish, it was light hearted. It was a jibe at myself for posting something the user can't see.

And no, I'm not leaving a thread like that open where the OP is homophobic (which is confirmed a hundred times over in the disgustingly abusive PM he sent me).

If anyone else wants to start a reasonable discussion on what you're discussing above, then they are of course welcome to.

I hope you didn't take the PM personally, its one guy with an agenda who's never met you.

Robsweezie wrote: »
    I hope you didn't take the PM personally, its one guy with an agenda who's never met you.

Not at all, mods put up with abuse as standard. If we took it personally we'd be snivelling messes tbh.

I just wanted to highlight that this guy is homophobic as confirmed by him telling me, amongst other things, that queers like me won't be allowed to ruin society :)

Not at all, mods put up with abuse as standard. If we took it personally we'd be snivelling messes tbh.

I just wanted to highlight that this guy is homophobic as confirmed by him telling me, amongst other things, that queers like me won't be allowed to ruin society :)

Report the PM if you consider it abusive, it's usually sanctioned by issuing a site ban.

You made it personal by attempting to point score via a mod note on a thread closure/banning.
    I don't think this is the way to go,and reflects poorly on yourself as a mod.

Mod notes should be used to add a little transparency to mod actions...nothing else.:cool:

Report the PM if you consider it abusive, it's usually sanctioned by issuing a site ban.

You made it personal by attempting to point score via a mod note on a thread closure/banning.
    I don't think this is the way to go,and reflects poorly on yourself as a mod.

Mod notes should be used to add a little transparency to mod actions...nothing else.:cool:

I did, and they were. Permanently.

Nobody got personal, the OP showed himself up for what he was without any help from myself or anyone else. I'm not into "point scoring" to which you refer. On the other hand, dragging up a feedback thread from 5 years ago because you're upset I banned a homophobic poster, screams of pettiness. You are welcome to the points if you want them so badly. It's not a game I play.

If you don't like light hearted mod notes In After Hours and are going to be this upset by them, then I'm amazed it's taken you this long to give your feedback as that is part of After Hours, it always has been and it always will be.

I did, and they were. Permanently.

Nobody got personal, the OP showed himself up for what he was without any help from myself or anyone else. I'm not into "point scoring" to which you refer. On the other hand, dragging up a feedback thread from 5 years ago because you're upset I banned a homophobic poster, screams of pettiness. You are welcome to the points if you want them so badly. It's not a game I play.

If you don't like light hearted mod notes In After Hours and are going to be this upset by them, then I'm amazed it's taken you this long to give your feedback as that is part of After Hours, it always has been and it always will be.
    LOL!!

I ran the words 'mod notes' through the search function and this thread appeared, The thread was still open so I added my point to the debate.

What exactly is petty about that??:confused::confused:

LOL!!

I ran the words 'mod notes' through the search function and this thread appeared, The thread was still open so I added my point to the debate.

What exactly is petty about that??:confused::confused:

It's petty because you never cared about these light hearted mod notes until I banned someone with whom you share similar views.

• Advertisement

It's petty because you never cared about these light hearted mod notes until I banned someone with whom you share similar views.

Why are you making this personal?

It's not about me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement