Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro – 3D Prints

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Time for a break from Star Wars, the GF has insisted I print Xmas stuff for a while :0/
    But I snuck in a Pink Vader before that :)

Genuinely couldn't stop laughing at that.

tumblr_n2rffvXCyv1tv4k5po1_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Another break from xmas prints. Doing a large yoda head and am about 20 hours into a 34 hour print. I can't wait until they really sort out the speed with 3D printing :0/

Ros36yT.jpg

Also, as no mods(well, no forum or cat mods that cover this section) replied to me on the whole Star Wars 3D print free raffle thingy, I assumed it was a no go and have distributed most of the stuff to friends and work peeps.

Sorry guys, i tried to sort something for here to give a little back to our retro community :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Another break from xmas prints. Doing a large yoda head and am about 20 hours into a 34 hour print. I can't wait until they really sort out the speed with 3D printing :0/

Ros36yT.jpg

Also, as no mods(well, no forum or cat mods that cover this section) replied to me on the whole Star Wars 3D print free raffle thingy, I assumed it was a no go and have distributed most of the stuff to friends and work peeps.

Sorry guys, i tried to sort something for here to give a little back to our retro community :(

I'm sorry, I thought I sent a message to you via PM, apologies if it was borked.
    I'll try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You prob could have throw a thread up on Retrovia, & linked back to it here...never even thought of suggesting that

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I thought I sent a message to you via PM, apologies if it was borked.
    I'll try again.

No probs.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    You prob could have throw a thread up on Retrovia, & linked back to it here...never even thought of suggesting that

Yeah could have done that. But i wanted to keep it "onsite" here as I didn't want to really be getting anything out of it.

Anyway, its not exactly the end of the world :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

That looks pretty cool. Would take a while to print it full size at high res though.

A little something I'm working on, a Raspberry Pi Zero inside a NES controller.
    I robbed someone else's model and will need to modify it a good bit to fit my needs. But the basic plan is to get a tiny battery in there and also solder the NES buttons to the GPIO headers on the Pi.

8Dz0WFF.jpg
    NBQwSOT.jpg
    31qEr8o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What's the plan with that one? A NES emulator in a controller? Or using it to control something else?

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    What's the plan with that one? A NES emulator in a controller? Or using it to control something else?

I've got RetroPie running on it now. So NES emulator and the rest.
    The software side is the easy bit on this, just need to modify the "borrowed" 3D model to hold the PI better and also allow the old controller cable to be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Looks great, nice job sir.

I think i need to get into metalwork as a side job. 147 Euro for these little bits that arrived today for the printer!

AyvYUe3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

They must be made from gold, are they nozzles Steve or what part do they play?

Looks like the extruding nozzles, from which the heated/melted plastic is pushed.

Some very fine nozzles there Steve!

Yeah, it's a new custom heater block that will allow me to swap out the nozzle for a larger or smaller one(as in the ones at the back of pic) in a few seconds. Normally it's a pain to do it as you need to replace the full heater block, but now i can do it in seconds as it's just the nozzles themselves i will swap out.

I got some very small nozzles and some big ones to experiment with. Should be able to get some very fine details on the 0.15mm and some very fast but less detailed ones on the 1.0mm(the default on the printer is 0.4mm).

Will install them at the weekend as the printer is currently halfway through a 40 hour print.

• Advertisement

I machined an extruder nozzle before.
    I was a pain in the swisss.
    I can see why they cost so much.

I machined an extruder nozzle before.
    I was a pain in the swisss.
    I can see why they cost so much.

Yeah, it looks like very finicky work, especially these unusually small nozzle ones. Although the nozzles themselves are not so bad, between 10-20 euro each depending on sizes(the heater block was about 75 i think).

On a related note, my current running print job fell over on the print bed :( But I'll take it as a sign to install the nozzles :)
    Anyone in need of just over half a Millennium Falcon? :D

46e8dbK.jpg
    T9dxUw6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Sure just print the other half and lash it together with a bit of tape :)

Sure just print the other half and lash it together with a bit of tape :)

I think I'll print most of the rest of it and do some sort of falcon stuck/crashed through a door or press thing. Turn this lemon into lemonade type thing :0)

I think I'll print most of the rest of it and do some sort of falcon stuck/crashed through a door or press thing. Turn this lemon into lemonade type thing :0)

Thats what i was gonna suggest :)

Falcon coming out of hyperspace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Split Millennium Falcon book ends?

The whole idea of the computer inside the controller you're using is slightly surreal, I'm typing this out on the family TV using a Raspberry Pi Zero and the thing looks ludicrous. Dwarfed in size by the various dongles and USB splitters I'm using to get online!

Someone is using an old X-Box controller with a Zero Pi inside and there seems to be a fair bit of room to work with.

http://hackaday.com/2015/12/02/shoving-a-raspberry-pi-zero-into-an-xbox-controller/

Amalgam wrote: »
    Split Millennium Falcon book ends?

The whole idea of the computer inside the controller you're using is slightly surreal, I'm typing this out on the family TV using a Raspberry Pi Zero and the thing looks ludicrous. Dwarfed in size by the various dongles and USB splitters I'm using to get online!

Someone is using an old X-Box controller with a Zero Pi inside and there seems to be a fair bit of room to work with.

http://hackaday.com/2015/12/02/shoving-a-raspberry-pi-zero-into-an-xbox-controller/

Not very aesthetically pleasing with the pi zero sticking out the top.

I do agree with your comment about the extra cables needed though.
    It might be the size of a credit card but then you add power supplies, USB hubs, dongles and cables.

I really need to make a start on airbrushing some of these prints.
    I'm starting to get some really nice results with faces and heads(both human and monster style) and they need a nice paint job on them to really look the part(example below, it needs paint).

wd8IWgX.jpg

7xQWfOR.jpg

Had another go at this bronze printing material over the weekend.
    Starting to get the hang of it, needs a good bit of post processing to get it to look like actual bronze/metal though. But I'm getting there :)

Top is just off the printer, bottom is after some work.

eB20Yuz.jpg

That is a nice bronze look alright.
    Did it take long after print??

eddhorse wrote: »
    That is a nice bronze look alright.
    Did it take long after print??

It took about 6-7 hours to print, and maybe 1 hour of work afterwards. It's not finished yet as I'm not 100 percent happy with it.

Finally got around to trying out the large 1.0mm nozzle on my printer.
    It's pretty silly looking, and I see why its nicknamed the toothpaste nozzle :)

Handy for super quick low resolution prints though.

For anyone looking to get started in 3D printing, theres a new small and cheap(but very well reviewed) printer on the market.
    It's 160 Euro, plus delivery and i guess a few spools of material would work out at about 200 to your door.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__82025__Fabrikator_Mini_3D_Printer_Orange_UK_230V_V1_5.html

82025(1).jpg

I've ordered one to test it out. But so far the reviews say its fantastic for the price.

Doge wrote: »

That's a good price if your in Australia. It's just a rebranded wanhao duplicater i3 v2. Goes for about 350-400 US direct from China as a kit.

Still, I'm not a fan of this type of printer. The completely open frameworks style just doesn't lend itself well to printing anything other than PLA. With ABS you really need an enclosed environment, or some way to enclosing while printing.

• Advertisement

So that small and cheap printer arrived this morning. Not had a chance to get it going yet, but this thing is tiny :)

You need to tether it to a computer to print as there's no LCD or SD card support installed. But I've ordered the parts for that and they came to less than 20 euro, so still cheap.

v2ztRMa.jpgbS8e0FC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

bS8e0FC.jpg

You 3D printed a 3D printer?!

That's hardcore! :P

MrVestek wrote: »
    You 3D printed a 3D printer?!

That's hardcore! :P

Its the start of Skynet !!

So that small and cheap printer arrived this morning. Not had a chance to get it going yet, but this thing is tiny :)

You need to tether it to a computer to print as there's no LCD or SD card support installed. But I've ordered the parts for that and they came to less than 20 euro, so still cheap.

http://i.imgur.com/v2ztRMa.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/bS8e0FC.jpg

What kind of print volume does it have? And is it just me or is it mostly open frame too?

Was intrigued with this one, but wanted to see how you got on with it first! :D

What kind of print volume does it have? And is it just me or is it mostly open frame too?

Was intrigued with this one, but wanted to see how you got on with it first! :D

It’s got a small 80x80x80mm print volume, its the Fabrikator Mini afterall :)
    It’s not open frame, but there are open windows on the front and both sides to help with airflow(overheating was an issue with version 1 of this printer).
    An open frame printer really is just that, completely open and not enclosed at all.
    The main negative thing for me is that you need to tether to a computer. But that’s easily fixed as I said above.

In the end I ordered it from their UK warehouse, which cost a bit more but you wont be stung with customs and duty(plus quicker than coming from China). I paid 219 euro for it, plus a few spools of decent plastic at about 10-12 each.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=93033

Here she is setup. LCD and SD card mod parts coming tomorrow I hope as I hate the laptop tethered to it :0/

8OphMbc.jpg

HjT0HtO.jpg

It’s got a small 80x80x80mm print volume, its the Fabrikator Mini afterall :)
    It’s not open frame, but there are open windows on the front and both sides to help with airflow(overheating was an issue with version 1 of this printer).
    An open frame printer really is just that, completely open and not enclosed at all.
    The main negative thing for me is that you need to tether to a computer. But that’s easily fixed as I said above.

In the end I ordered it from their UK warehouse, which cost a bit more but you wont be stung with customs and duty(plus quicker than coming from China). I paid 219 euro for it, plus a few spools of decent plastic at about 10-12 each.

That's still a pretty decent size, wouldn't have expected that big! Colour me interested!

With regards to the open windows in the front / sides, I was just thinking about what you'd said about printing ABS in open frames, would it still be ok when it's kinda open like that?

Interested to see how the prints turn out!

That's still a pretty decent size, wouldn't have expected that big! Colour me interested!

With regards to the open windows in the front / sides, I was just thinking about what you'd said about printing ABS in open frames, would it still be ok when it's kinda open like that?

Interested to see how the prints turn out!

This is officially a PLA only printer. But there are people using ABS on it as well. No need for ABS really for most things these days as PLA hybrids have come a long way and there are other alternatives that print better and aren't as poisonous.

Anyway, couple of prints done already on this and I'm impressed. It really needs a few mods, but none are expensive. I'll be installing cooling fans after the LCD and SD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Steve X2, once you have a few prints done on the Fabrikator, will you line them up in a photo please?

I've been keeping a gunner's eye on this, with a view to dipping my toe.

• Advertisement

Was looking at that on their site: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__82025__Fabrikator_Mini_3D_Printer_V1_5_Orange_UK_230V.html

Couldn't tell the difference till I remembered you said it'd be shipping from China, so possible customs issues!

Amalgam wrote: »
    Steve X2, once you have a few prints done on the Fabrikator, will you line them up in a photo please?

I've been keeping a gunner's eye on this, with a view to dipping my toe.

Yeah, I'll stick up a few pics at weekend. Still tweaking the settings and doing a few internal mods etc.
    While waiting on the parts for the LCD and SD mod I've installed a Raspberry Pi Octopi server to run things.
    Was looking at that on their site: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__82025__Fabrikator_Mini_3D_Printer_V1_5_Orange_UK_230V.html

Couldn't tell the difference till I remembered you said it'd be shipping from China, so possible customs issues!

Yeah, I'd say with the time you'd have to wait plus the fees you'd more than likely get stung for its worth getting it from the Uk warehouse. Just make sure if you get printing material it also comes form that warehouse, otherwise you'll have a long wait. Go for some eSun PLA filament to start with, it's cheap and good and perfect for this printer.
    Also, you will need to print a spool holder right away as it doesn't come with one.
    This is the one that works well with eSun spools.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1128733

Yeah, I'll stick up a few pics at weekend. Still tweaking the settings and doing a few internal mods etc.
    While waiting on the parts for the LCD and SD mod I've installed a Raspberry Pi Octopi server to run things.

Yeah, I'd say with the time you'd have to wait plus the fees you'd more than likely get stung for its worth getting it from the Uk warehouse. Just make sure if you get printing material it also comes form that warehouse, otherwise you'll have a long wait. Go for some eSun PLA filament to start with, it's cheap and good and perfect for this printer.
    Also, you will need to print a spool holder right away as it doesn't come with one.
    This is the one that works well with eSun spools.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1128733

How's the new printer going? How are your prints on it turning out?

How's the new printer going? How are your prints on it turning out?

It was going well, but one of the stepper motors started to act weird and then died. It happens, especially on super cheap printers. I'm in the process of getting it replaced from HobbyKing, which is not going well as they are slow to reply etc.
    Prints started to go a bit weird, i thought it was over heating as that is a flaw on this printer. But in the end it was a dodgy motor.

Dodgy print:
    ZLG2Ri2.jpg

There are a few community upgrades to solve problems and improve this printer, which is great. I've designed my own upgrade that combines(steals) ideas that other people have done along with my own. It's nearly complete and should make the printer better to use and stop any over heating(which kills motors and electronics).

oRNJ1Vb.png
    What it does:
    -Mount points for a 12v 120mm PC fan to stop overheating of motors and electronics(powered direct from the printer).
    -Mount LCD and SD card adapter to front(no computer or Pi needed, print from SD card).
    -Allow more weight at the back and sides of the printer and stop it falling over(you can stick a spool holder on there and it's nice and stable).
    - Still to do, make it pretty :)

It's really a design for my own use, but when done I'll stick it on thingiverse and credit those whose ideas and models went into it as someone might want to use it.

So, you really need to mod this printer to get the most out of it and make sure it lives a long and healthy life. Some mods are quick and just require you to adjust a few pots on the main board. Some require printing out some parts which is fine and the norm for most printers these days.

Edit:

A small print I did before the motor died. Not perfect but there is nice detail there and with some extra cooling fans it would be better.
    It's about 1.5 inches tall and was printed very slow and not very hot to get detail, so took about 6 hours to complete.

PFiaNZE.jpg

I just replaced the motor in the small printer and we're back in business.
    If anyone wants anything printed and pictures posted to help them decide if it's work buying, let me know.
    Remember, it's got a small print volume(80x80x80mm), so nothing massive :)

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »

Yeah, looks simple enough. Looks like a basic lithograph print and I've printed a few of those in the past.
    The hardest bit would be painting it I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would love one of those!
    Let me know if you are to do a couple!

I'll look into printing after I'm finished the house move in a week or so. It does looks pretty nice actually, but it really needs a good paint job, and my skills are lacking there.
    Like I said, I've printed a few lithographs and they really do look nice when there's a back light or window behind them(I was surprised how nice).

I know someone with painting skills!
    Me!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I know someone with painting skills!
    Me!

Well, I'm sure we could come to a trade arrangement of some sort. I print you two, you paint one for me etc.

But this isn't the place for such discussions :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement