Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adhesive question

Options
  • 09-05-2013 11:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

We want to tile our kitchen floor(currently old lino) with pennies. Got the measurements figured out and the right amount from the bank.

Just can't figure out which sort of adhesive to use thats cost effective and reliable. Tech 7 is far too expensive. Did a trial run of universal polybond and no more nails. Won't know the outcome of that tip tomorrow.

Can I use regular floor tile adhesive? Or regular superglue? And can that be bought in later tubs? Google hasn't been any help.
    Hope someone here knows
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

david75 wrote: »
    We want to tile our kitchen floor(currently old lino) with pennies. Got the measurements figured out and the right amount from the bank.

Just can't figure out which sort of adhesive to use thats cost effective and reliable. Tech 7 is far too expensive. Did a trial run of universal polybond and no more nails. Won't know the outcome of that tip tomorrow.

Can I use regular floor tile adhesive? Or regular superglue? And can that be bought in later tubs? Google hasn't been any help.
    Hope someone here knows
    Thanks in advance.

I hope you're not takin the piss.

Tec 7, polybond, superglue - NO.

Technically, TEC 7 would work, but you'd have to spend €000s. Ridiculous to even consider the above 3 options

Regular adhesive - YES

easier if you are tiling onto concrete flooring.

Oh, and don't bother waiting for the outcome of that tip

I take it you are not doing the work yourself.

A quick look here will give you some ideas

http://www.handyhardware.ie/cat/Tile-Grout-Adhesives/305/1124

20kg bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Just can't figure out which sort of yadhesive to use thats cost effective and reliable. Tech 7 is far too expensive. Did a trial run of universal polybond and no more nails. Won't know the outcome of that tip tomorrow.

Hope someone here knows
    Thanks in advance.
    I assume you are talking about ceramic tiles? If they are ceramic on a concrete floor regular rapid set would be sufficient although I would always recommend using a flexible adhesive anyway , if you're tiles are porcelain you will need flexible anyway.

or having just read the op post are you actually tiling the floor with pennies?
    If so regular tile adhesive won't do.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    or having just read the op post are you actually tiling the floor with pennies?
    If so regular tile adhesive won't do.
    Jesus, just read it myself. Nice spot kev;)

@OP, how many pennies ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Forget about adhesive, how would you grout them.

The thousands of tiny gaps, you can pour and 'squeege' in the grout because it will also grout in around the etchings on the faces of the pennies.

If you are being serious, the only way I can think of is to make up enough 1' square boards to cover the floor out of WBP board.
    Coat each board with some kine of hard plaster/mortar and push the pennies down into it until they are flush.
    Finally fix the penny covered boards to the ground.
    You'll also have to put a good quality varnish/protective coat over it.

Mad, you are mad. But feck it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

+100 on the protective coat - they might all turn green..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Ok thanks Lads:) and sadly yes I must be nuts and am deadly serious.

Turns out, no more nails (which is cheap as chips in me local hardware shop) works a charm. The ones I did last night set like concrete and I've gone at them with a knife to try lift a few and they won't budge. So I'm going with that.
    Too late I was told about this stuff araldite but I've committed now.
    Gonna either varnish or find an epoxy resin for the varnishing/sealing of it.

Grout is an issue. Hoped to do it but now it looks as that previous poster mentioned that'd catch on the faces of the coins. And being the OCD sh!te that I am, they all have to be harp side up. It's sloooooow going but perseverance is key. Here's where I'm at

Also, got €40 worth of pennies, which is 4000 pennies. I've got €10 down so far and have nothing done so my maths were clearly all wrong. Screw it. I've committed to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ok thanks Lads:) and sadly yes I must be nuts and am deadly serious.

Turns out, no more nails (which is cheap as chips in me local hardware shop) works a charm. The ones I did last night set like concrete and I've gone at them with a knife to try lift a few and they won't budge. So I'm going with that.
    Too late I was told about this stuff araldite but I've committed now.
    Gonna either varnish or find an epoxy resin for the varnishing/sealing of it.

Grout is an issue. Hoped to do it but now it looks as that previous poster mentioned that'd catch on the faces of the coins. And being the OCD sh!te that I am, they all have to be harp side up. It's sloooooow going but perseverance is key. Here's where I'm at

1 question.......

WHY????????

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Stop now, and may I suggest you use the remaining change on a few pints...its obvious you need them!! :-)

• Advertisement

I reckon that floor grout is to course to catch in the grooves, that is if you don't use any of this fine grout and use a washboy to wash it off before it starts too set. Also some of those "panel adhesives " are NOT waterproof may I suggest arc ms11.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ihavethepower

have you thought of getting something like a vinyl print? stick that down and then paint on a clear tough coat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Yes you are nuts

Yes you need pints

Yes I want a picture please post one up.

So far. At it all day. This is €20 believe it or not. I've commited now. May as well keep at it. Nervous about grout/varnish though.
    null-1132.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

So far. At it all day. This is €20 believe it or not. I've commited now. May as well keep at it. Nervous about grout/varnish though.
    null-1132.jpg
    Looks well... You'll need something pretty hardwearing to protect them. you could try inlay a design with tarnished ones... a big harp possibly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Your floor will it not go green,and throw in some 5 cents so when your mates are over on the piss you can challenge them to find them

Nice tile underneath. With a little work, you could have recovered them nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

dodzy wrote: »
    Nice tile underneath. With a little work, you could have recovered them nicely.

Emmm...that's dirty filthy lino, not tile.

Yeah, looking into fine powdered grout and good hard varnish and resin.

Really wanted to get some old green oxidised ones for a pattern in the middle but that'd take to long. Gonna cheat and paint some :)
    It'll probably all go green at some point but that'd be cool too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yeah, looking into fine powdered grout and good hard varnish and resin.

Really wanted to get some old green oxidised ones for a pattern in the middle but that'd take to long. Gonna cheat and paint some :)
    It'll probably all go green at some point but that'd be cool too.

Its crooked and you are gone off line allready.

The naked eye leads you towards that allready.

I really cant understand why you are doing this???

And especially ontop of old dirty/unclean lino that has movment in it when a person walks over it.

That will all crack and lift in a matter of time,and the coins wont last long there...in a high usage area like a kitchen.

But its your house,so whatever floats your boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Calibos

Have to agree with DIY Maestro Paddy. While I can see quirky potential in the idea, the implementation thus far looks dreadful, won't last with a lino base as others have said and does not look suited for your current kitchen style.

What I mean by potential is that the light shining on the copper looks pretty cool. However, it would look cool (If laid right) in an ultra modern kitchen (copper sheet kick panels and cooker hood etc) in an open plan room in a hip New York penthouse apartment. NOT!!! in a bog standard 3 bed semi kitchen.

Can you honestly say that it even looks well laid even if one puts aside all the other issues we've mentioned?? Its all over the place!! Some sections have the coins packed tighter, ie each line of coins inset into the gaps of the previous line like they should be and then that line up the island has then lined edge to edge if you get me.

You should have tacked batons down to give you straight edges to work against. Not worried about harp side up, dumped coins on the floor and spread out till they were 1 coin deep and used a straight edge to push the coins into place. Would have taken a fraction of the time and you would have had perfect straight rows.

Anyway, I can't help but think this is a troll post. It would have been legendary if you had posted it in Afterhours but DIY just hasn't got the viewership to do such a troll post justice. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Myself and the wife plan on doing a room with all the pebbles we've collected over the years when we self-build, got the idea from an episode with something similar on Grand Designs. It was finished with poured acrylic.

I'm deadly serious and I hate straight lines, and there are no straight lines in this kitchen whatsoever. House is ancient. And thatd be boring and look manufactured if it were all straight. It was actually an honest post and honest question But thanks.
    If it goes tits up, even if it all goes green, that'd be cool too cos I like that look. Either way its a sh!te old bit of Lino and take all of 2 minutes to lift up and dump.

Shame on me for tryna do something different i guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I think it looks great. It'll be a muck magnet though, and I don't just mean verdigris.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Why should it be all straight and exact? I think it looks well as it is. You should take the time to build a pattern in the middle of it with tarnished coins or even different coins.

Did you clean the lino with a good solvent or something first? The coins should stay stuck to the lino but as mentioned above anything you put over them will crack with the movement in the lino..

Believe it of not I used a tech 7 cleaner/degreaser on all of it and it came up as you see it, which is infinitely better than it was! I'm doing a leaf pattern in the centre, want to do it in 5 and 2c coins fizzing out into 1c coins. If it breaks it breaks. One factor I forgot about cos he just got back. To my eternal shame.
    null-465.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

looks good so far.....have been researching this for a while and collecting my pennies - will be doing a hearth for beneath the stove when I have more cents (sense!).....

this site has some useful info for you:

http://adetailedhouse.com/2012/07/28/cents-and-sensibility-how-to-make-a-penny-floor/

stick with it:)

Thanks. I will. You'd swear I was burning babies alive with some of the replies.

Just grouted it with a flexi grout. We'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Calibos

dardevle wrote: »

looks good so far.....have been researching this for a while and collecting my pennies - will be doing a hearth for beneath the stove when I have more cents (sense!).....

this site has some useful info for you:

http://adetailedhouse.com/2012/07/28/cents-and-sensibility-how-to-make-a-penny-floor/

stick with it:)

Clicked that link. The penny floors look fabulous.

However, are you telling me that neither you nor the OP can tell the difference between the penny floors on that link and the section of penny floor he has already done??

This thread was the first time I ever heard of the penny floor concept and yet I could tell the OP how they should be arranged. Jaysus, if one is going to go to the trouble of doing something like this, pay attention to detail!!

No offence OP. I admire the idea but if you're going to do it, do it right!

• Advertisement

Right? Your right isn't my right. Once again, there isn't a single straight line in our kitchen. It's be foolish to try make some. And I easily could have. It'd clash wildly with what's there already.
    If its annoying you so much, you should try it. Easy to declaim from the safety of an armchair.

Advertisement