Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

New Spark 1.2.75 released a couple of weeks ago only spotted it now

one of the fast scans for Canal Digital fixed

and nor flash memory update among whatever else so seems like worth loading for the nor flash update alone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Freetv.ie have 10% off all orders this week so the Alien 2 is now available for 134 euro and the Sab Unix HD Triple for 125 euro if anyone is interested .
    Discount Code: FREETV
    Valid: 31st Mar - 6th April 2015
    Enter & Apply Discount Code at Checkout
    Discount Code Works When Signed In

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Zardoz wrote: »
    Freetv.ie have 10% off all orders this week so the Alien 2 is now available for 134 euro and the Sab Unix HD Triple for 125 euro if anyone is interested .

Few days late for me just got few in post today ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Was having some issues recently with h v4.5:
    General Laggyness (even after cleaning disc, EPG.dat , timeshift etc)
    Failure to come out of standby, requiring power toggle (only a few times)
    Getting stuck on some processes (the dreaded dots)

Anyway, redid Hyperion v4.5 from scratch last night. and was pleasantly surprised to see that they have now included a fix for the audio . ie no need for the elf file mod. (once base image flashed, check the authentation through blue panel). Also event convertor working (now and next on info. However , needed to modify to work with the pli.hd.mod skin)

Their audio fix seems to have fixed the lag issue on channel change and the volume difference between audio formats. Cannot say about volume boost, as playing through an amp .

That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Freetv.ie have 10% off all orders this week...

They also have the Amiko A3 available for €200 incl VAT. It looks kinda cool but I don't know why anyone would buy it over the A2. It only has one satellite tuner and no terrestrial tuner. Any cool things it does you can also do on the A2 for €65 less. Only thing is you can put a SATA hard drive in it but then that would only be beneficial over a USB drive if you had more tuners and wanted to make multiple simultaneous HD recordings.

Anyone see the point in buying an Amiko Alien 3?

Flex

• Advertisement

They also have the Amiko A3 available for €200 incl VAT. It looks kinda cool but I don't know why anyone would buy it over the A2. It only has one satellite tuner and no terrestrial tuner. Any cool things it does you can also do on the A2 for €65 less. Only thing is you can put a SATA hard drive in it but then that would only be beneficial over a USB drive if you had more tuners and wanted to make multiple simultaneous HD recordings.

Anyone see the point in buying an Amiko Alien 3?

Flex

It runs android also so you have proper version of xbmc/kodi running on it also, haven't got my hands on one but id be same as you id rather have the a2 but I bet they will bring out a triple tuner version of it too.

Slevster wrote: »
    Anyway, redid Hyperion v4.5 from scratch last night. and was pleasantly surprised to see that they have now included a fix for the audio . ie no need for the elf file mod. (once base image flashed, check the authentation through blue panel). Also event convertor working (now and next on info. However , needed to modify to work with the pli.hd.mod skin)

Yeah they released an update last week,wasnt really sure what it was for,did mention audio allright ,handy.
    It didnt seem to modify the audio.elf file though.

Now and next on info has been working fine with the Pli skin since Hyperion 4 ,it doesnt need modding.

I wouldnt touch it with a stick .It never sorted its firmware out and its grossly overpriced.

I got one of these recently ,a Wetek Play
    https://wetek.com/
    Basically an android box (same spec as MXII) with twin sat tuners built in.
    It runs Android and Openelec and has excellent support,Oscam is fully working on it.
    It has gone up to 129 euro from 109 but I managed to get it for 87 euro (they had a 20% discount ).

Have only used it for a few hours but its a very nice piece of kit.
    The missus isnt happy though ,she wants to know why I have 6 receivers now :D

Yeah they released an update last week,wasnt really sure what it was for,did mention audio allright ,handy.

Now and next on info has been working fine with the Pli skin since Hyperion 4 ,it doesnt need modding.

Havent dug in to it with regard how they fixed the audio.

I use the pli.HD.mod.marcino skin which needed the event converter mod for some reason . wasn't sure if it had been previously working on 4.5 as I usually just put the pyo in straight off. (Wasn't working on v4. The fix came about this this last year from one of the folks on sattvhelp, as far as I remember).

Slevster wrote: »
    Havent dug in to it with regard how they fixed the audio.

I use the pli.HD.mod.marcino skin which needed the event converter mod for some reason . wasn't sure if it had been previously working on 4.5 as I usually just put the pyo in straight off. (Wasn't working on v4. The fix came about this this last year from one of the folks on sattvhelp, as far as I remember).

Ah right.
    I use the PLi-HD skin ,not the mod.
    I had to do the pyo switch before too but v4 sorted that issue for me ,I didnt need to swap the files.

I wouldnt touch it with a stick .It never sorted its firmware out and its grossly overpriced.

It runs Android and Openelec and has excellent support,Oscam is fully working on it.
    It has gone up to 129 euro from 109 but I managed to get it for 87 euro (they had a 20% discount ).

Looks very neat and tidy. Fast/responsive? ( the receiver that is, not the missus)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If it runs XBMC I'm sold!

L'prof wrote: »
    If it runs XBMC I'm sold!

It sure does .

Here is a short video of it in action

It sure does .

Here is a short video of it in action

Is it normal sat lnb cable in the back or do you need adapter?

jayo26 wrote: »
    Is it normal sat lnb cable in the back or do you need adapter?

Its 2 f connectors ,same as any other sat box.

Looks good mate, kodi works well on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Jaysus Zardoz, that's the business!

How easy is the set up? For both sat & xmbc (which I don't know much about)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is very interesting.
    I have been following the development of ebmc and it had seemed like it was going to be a vapour ware.
    This looks like it has the potential to be a much more complete solution.
    The wetek box you've linked has me seriously considering a purchase.
    How is the diseqc compatibility?
    Does xbmc handle all the viewing?
    Epg and recording tasks and so on? I.e are channel changes and viewing handled within xbmc and if so, how does softcam integration work?
    Is it only oscam?
    Or does normal Sat viewing work as a standalone plug in via a separate app?
    Sorry for all the questions Zardoz but it's my 1st time coming across this unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Looks the dogs bollOx. Does the money off code you used still work? Can u pm me it pretty please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Think we need a wetek thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

When they release one with a combo tuner formation I am buying one!

The ability to boot XBMC/Kodi via Linux from NAND and Micro SD and Android at NAND Flash is an excellent development.

• Advertisement

Imstuck wrote: »
    Jaysus Zardoz, that's the business!

How easy is the set up? For both sat & xmbc (which I don't know much about)!!!

I only plugged it in last night so I havent much experience of it yet.

It comes running Android 4.2.2 and has Kodi installed as well as other android apps like Youtube,aptoide etc.
    Pretty nice interface and nice setup gui.

You can watch tv via an app called Wetek Theater or via Xbmc .
    You can also use Kodi with Tvheadend in Openelec ,I havent much knowledge of that yet .
    It seems to be the best for a 7 day guide, similar to Crossepg but its a bit tricky to setup .

There seem to be a lot of good tutorials on setting up the Wetek though.

I used Wetek Theater for a while,scanned in 28e and was up and running watching channels pretty quickly.It has Diseqc settings ,yes.
    Easy to navigate ,up/down etc .
    There are also iptv channels ,I havent watched them yet though.
    Looks the dogs bollOx. Does the money off code you used still work? Can u pm me it pretty please

It was a one day deal a while back.
    There are often 10% off codes about though.

I'll post an update in a few days once I have used it a bit more.
    One thing I like is that the developers are very approachable with issues and are constantly updating stuff which is very promising .
    There is talk of Enigma 2 coming to the receiver too.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Looking at this myself

Can the DVB: Wetek Play with DVB-C/T/T2 (Terrestrial & Cable) receive Saiorview and can it record to USB

Thanks for any hep

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

STB. wrote: »
    When they release one with a combo tuner formation I am buying one!

The ability to boot XBMC/Kodi via Linux from NAND and Micro SD and Android at NAND Flash is an excellent development.

I hooked a Raspberry Pi running OpenElec (like xbmc) up to my Alien 2 and could get similar functionality but that Wetek looks smoother, relatively fast and integrates everything into a neat little package. The XBMC interface is slick and seems to do everything enigma2 can.

I'd also like to see a Triple (or Quad) Tuner Combo from either this box of tricks or from good ol' Amiko.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭deezell

Looking at this myself

Can the DVB: Wetek Play with DVB-C/T/T2 (Terrestrial & Cable) receive Saiorview and can it record to USB

Thanks for any hep
    It would receive saorview. I bought an identical looking android box to this over a year ago, an odd brand called Energy Sistem, it has a DVB -T tuner,I loaded XBMC, other stuff. It was an offer on a deals site for 60€. It was Ok for tv, but the media players were slow, it froze frequently. This one looks better, not sure if it has twin tuners though, not mentioned in specs, the second f connection might just be a loopthrough, as in the DVB-T version. It does have built in Wi Fi though.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Could Zardoz confirm whether it is twin tuner or not? And the possibility of recording via hard drive a la the AA2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

deezell wrote: »
    Lads,
    Having recording issues. When I record a program, I can only watch a different program in the same bouquet e.g. record BBC1(entertainment), cannot watch the travel channel(lifestyle). I have both tuners connected and set to 28.2E . Any ideas?

Travel channel is on Transponder frequency 12551500 V, Many of the BBC Ones are on 10817500 V or 10802750 H. This will require the two tuners to have seperate feeds from the LNB to tune. If you have only one feed looped to both tuners than you can only record and watch different programs which use the same TP and Polarity. The Terrestrial tuner is seperate from this.

The Tuners lock onto to the Polarity and so, if you only had 1 satellite feed, and you were watching one channel, you should realistically be able to record or stream any other channel on the same polarity.

When it comes to the Terrestrial Tuner, it locks onto the Mux, so this is why you cannot watch RTE1 and record or stream RTE2, because they are on different muxes.

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See Post #2 of this thread or the Readme file in the download directory **

Champions OpenAR-P AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/2DuVm0
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/up5tIu

Imstuck wrote: »
    Could Zardoz confirm whether it is twin tuner or not? And the possibility of recording via hard drive a la the AA2?

Yes it is a twin satellite tuner .

Yes you can record to usb ,although you may need a powered drive .

I've noticed the sound going out of sync a bit on HD channels and the remote going a bit mad when zapping channels quickly on Wetek Theater.
    I will try Openelec later,there is a new version out.

The picture quality on the box is excellent,better than the Alien 2 for SD and HD I reckon.
    ARM processors are supposed to be the best for picture quality ,better than SH4 (Alien 2) and vastly superior to MIPS processors.

This box requires a fair bit of setting up ,its not plug and play if you want a 7 day guide,picons,favourites etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭deezell

championc wrote: »
    The Tuners lock onto to the Polarity and so, if you only had 1 satellite feed, and you were watching one channel, you should realistically be able to record or stream any other channel on the same polarity.

When it comes to the Terrestrial Tuner, it locks onto the Mux, so this is why you cannot watch RTE1 and record or stream RTE2, because they are on different muxes.

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See Post #2 of this thread or the Readme file in the download directory **

Champions OpenAR-P AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/2DuVm0
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/up5tIu

On a single satellite feed are you not also limited to recording only those channels on the transponder (TP) Mux. Any given TP contains a number of channels at the TP frequency, and those are the only ones coming down the cable when the LNB tunes in that TP and generates the IF, intermediate frequency, down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I recently got my hands on an A2 and I have installed Championc's image onto it no bother. (Thank you for the handy readme!)

However, the interface has become quite slow. Scrolling through menus, opening new menus, channel changing etc takes two or three seconds. It often puts up the little Amiko logo loading icon - even on idle. Is there something I'm doing wrong with the installation or am I missing something?

Thank you very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I recently got my hands on an A2 and I have installed Championc's image onto it no bother. (Thank you for the handy readme!)

However, the interface has become quite slow. Scrolling through menus, opening new menus, channel changing etc takes two or three seconds. It often puts up the little Amiko logo loading icon - even on idle. Is there something I'm doing wrong with the installation or am I missing something?

Thank you very much!

When is the last time you did a cold restart?
    check how much memory you are using (in the menus)
    if that doesn't work you might need to reflash

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement