Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

murfilein wrote: »
    /edit: ok the way i see it, when you buy one for reception of astra, eurobird etc., you will have to buy the lnb separately. add the cable, and i'm at around 60-65€ again.

Those dishes that also come with LNBs, the LNB will work for any programmes from KU-band satellites, not just Sky or Freesat. Whether the dish is big enough for reliable reception, depends which satellites you actually want to receive programmes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just need to clarify a term

What's a fixed terrestrial network?

Elmo wrote: »

Presumably it's anything where the transmitting & receiving locations are fixed e.g. receiver connected to an aerial on a building, rather than being intended for portable or mobile reception.

Essential for anything that needs line-of-sight conditions & means well-sited directional aerials can be made full use of, allowing lower transmission power.

Thurston? wrote: »
    Presumably it's anything where the transmitting & receiving locations are fixed e.g. receiver connected to an aerial on a building, rather than being intended for portable or mobile reception.

Essential for anything that needs line-of-sight conditions & means well-sited directional aerials can be made full use of, allowing lower transmission power.

DTT?

It can be but, even the Saorview network that's ostensibly designed around fixed reception, allows portable 'set-top' aerials in some places, & presumably even mobile reception, if you're so inclined.

• Advertisement

It can be but, even the Saorview network that's ostensibly designed around fixed reception, allows portable 'set-top' aerials in some places, & presumably even mobile reception, if you're so inclined.

So if you were to say fixed or mobile terrestrial network DTT would be covered?

BTW sorry I am sure this is way OTT.

So if you were to say fixed or mobile terrestrial network DTT would be covered?

Depends in what context you're 'saying' it, I suppose. Don't be relying on a couple of forum posts from the likes of myself, for anything truly definitive.

To the best of my knowledge, the Irish & UK TV transmission networks have always been designed with fixed reception in mind, with any incidental portable or mobile being seen as a bonus. Other countries may have different ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Those dishes that also come with LNBs, the LNB will work for any programmes from KU-band satellites, not just Sky or Freesat. Whether the dish is big enough for reliable reception, depends which satellites you actually want to receive programmes from.

so ku-band satellites are the ones used for television? i will be able to receive astra, eurobird and so on?

the wording on the website with "can be used for sky, Freesat or a mixture of both" sounded like the lnb only works for sky or freesat.

The LNB will be fine. Which non-Sky or Freesat channels are you looking for? Are they on the satellites at 28 degrees east?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Just need to clarify a term

My definition would be any network that would use fixed terrestrial antenna to transmit and receive in the radio spectrum. That would include broadcasting, fixed wireless internet, point-to-point/multi-point links etc.

Mobile terrestrial network would refer to the likes of Vodafone, Three, Meteor etc., fixed base station to mobile reception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

what are the prices for a company to install a dish? i checked one, it quoted 195€. and that includes all, all the equipment as well as the installation.

is it a good price?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I think the original point of this FAQ is long gone, its turned into a bit of a "General Queries" thread. If someone really does want to write an up to date FAQ they can knock themselves out but its high time this thread finished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement