Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding dresses on sale

Options
  • 06-10-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

A question for the ladies.

I was around town today, when I saw a bridal shop that was having a big sale on wedding dresses.

Now I always thought of a wedding dress as being in the same catagory as a casket, in that no-one wants to buy a cut-price casket, in case they experience the mortification that comes when the coffin is being borne down the aisle, and they realise that they forgot to remove a big red SALE sticker:).
    Or even the way that people tend to get uppity about wedding rings.

Would you wear a cut-price wedding dress?
    Is it common to go bargain hunting for dresses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Depends on what you mean is a bargin, cos really a bargain dress could still cost 2 grand knocked down from 6 grand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Its a dress, that will be worn for one day. I'd feel incredibly guilty paying more than 200 quid for one, but they don't come much cheaper than 1,000 it seems.

My mum threw hers together for 7 quid, and it looked amazing.

I'll probably do the same myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'd hope to be paying more attention to the man i'm marrying than the dress. It wouldn't bother me getting a dress in a sale, i would guess it all comes down to budget

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a bargain, as long as it's what you're happy in then who cares how much it cost?? Why pay 3k for a dress when you've just tried on "the one" for €200?? who the hell will know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Dress of my dreams €300,
    Bought in Jan sales €220

My husband said I took his breath away......priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Unless all your guests know all the dresses in all the shops and their prices - no one is going to know how much it cost - and whether u paid full price for it.

My SIL found the dress of her dreams in a magazine and when she went to the shop it was half price. She was delighted - it still looked exactly the same after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

dont see a problem with it. i dont understand paying thousands on the "perfect" dress.

knowing my luck id spill something on it 5 mins after putting it on anyway :rolleyes:

Most expensive doesn't equal best in a lot of cases.
    Anyway, most brides I see now are ALL wearing a bog-standard strapless creation with a few sparkles here and there. It's like a wedding trend that just won't go out of fashion.
    They could cost anything from 100-10,000 and I honestly wouldn't know the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Meh, havent really thought about it that much... however, my cousin bought her's off ebay for €50... apparently its lovely, the wedding hasnt happened yet though

Same as a girl I used to work with back home... she decided she was getting married to her boyfriend, sent her measurements to the dressmaker - though ebay - dressmaker sent the dress back to her (about $100NZ I think)... it came in this satin pillow thing... Did i mention she wasnt actually engaged and the marriage thing had never come up in conversation between her and her OH? So the dress is still (as far as I know) to this day, sitting on their bed as a pillow... poor guy has no idea, I'd say thats going to take some explaining!!!

Hideous dress too, btw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I suppose it's a personal choice, to some women it's all about the price of everything and trying to out do their friends, can't stand that myself.

If I found a dress I'd like to be married in for a fiver I'd be thrilled to wear it, paying thousands generally doesnt make it any better a dress than paying a few hundred. All I want is it to look beautiful on me.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

personally i wouldnt pay more then €200.00 for a wedding dress and at that i am being extreme, its only going to be worn once and then recycled

my best friends wedding dress costs €70.00 and she looked amazing, another wedding i was at the dress cost €160.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Silverfish wrote: »
    Its a dress, that will be worn for one day. I'd feel incredibly guilty paying more than 200 quid for one, but they don't come much cheaper than 1,000 it seems.

Don't go into those poncy 'bridal' shops - I got mine in Monsoon for a fraction of the price and it was beautiful. Also they have a fantastic sale around July where many of the dresses are reduced to half price - total bargain!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Meh, its a dress noone is going to see the price tag, I'd actually be prouder that I bought a fab dress for cheaper then some of the meringues I've seen that have just been bought because "Oh its a X dress".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

sar84 wrote: »
    dont see a problem with it. i dont understand paying thousands on the "perfect" dress.

knowing my luck id spill something on it 5 mins after putting it on anyway :rolleyes:

Ha Ha! I actually did that. Got foundation all over it before going to the church. I didn't give a damn though cos I accept that I'm terminally clumsy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I think if any bride found the dress of her dreams in a sample sale for a fraction of the original cost, she'd be delighted.

The worst wedding dress I saw this year was a Vera Wang that cost over €12,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

G&T wrote: »
    My husband said I took his breath away......priceless.

Hyperventilating at the aisle? :pac:

Honey-ec wrote: »
    The worst wedding dress I saw this year was a Vera Wang that cost over €12,000.
    Whaaaaaaaaaa???? :eek:

I don't think my whole wedding cost that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Buying a wedding dress? BUYING a wedding dress? A dress you'll only ever wear ONCE in your life...and BUYING IT???

Nope, just seems ridiculous to me. I'll borrow or rent a fabulous dress and look DAMN GOOD when the time comes.

Buying indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If it looks like it cost €6,000, just don't tell the other wimmin you got it for €800

Piste: white stains on the rented dress look bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'd be thrilled to find a lovely cheap dress, couldn't justify spending huge amounts on something I'd only wear once (same goes for engagement rings, fancy trimmings etc) :)

• Advertisement

Dolorous wrote: »
    I'd be thrilled to find a lovely cheap dress, couldn't justify spending huge amounts on something I'd only wear once (same goes for engagement rings, fancy trimmings etc) :)

you'd only wear your engagement ring once?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Monsoon in Kildare Village Outlet, 50-100 euro, tbfh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Ha ha, it's more that I can't be trusted with stuff that's too expensive :) That and big shiny things never did all that much for me.

Dolorous wrote: »
    Ha ha, it's more that I can't be trusted with stuff that's too expensive :) That and big shiny things never did all that much for me.

haha! ooh I love big shiny things! I can't be trusted either, i lost my engagement ring before I got married :eek: but it's ok, we were fairly broke when we got engaged so my new one is much bigger and shinier - score :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Yeah the cheaper the better..... I'm hoping for a bargain one....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I bought my dress on a sale. Wasnt crazy money either, under 250 I think. Even that, I thought was loads. But hey, it was a nice dress, I still have it, my hubby wont let me sell it or give it away.

I cant understand why anyone would spend thousands on a dress. Its a dress, ffs! Whats more you will never wear it again! I know brides want to look breathtaking, but honestly, unless you leave the price tag showing, your guests will have no idea if it cost €500 or €5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I would hope to only spend a few hundred on my dress but knowing me ill find a gorgeous one for much more than that and nothing will compare!! Would definately have no prob buying a dress on sale though. I love a bargain me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

When i was shopping for my dress (wedding which never happened) i fell in love with a carolina herrera dress which cost about 7 or 8 grand, passed on it and ound a lovely simple ghost dress or 1200 in the sale for 500. Afterwards saw the same carolina herrera dress on ebay for 1500! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Barnardos has a bridal shop which apparently sells beautiful dresses.

I love Monsoon - it has always seemed ideal to me for wedding attire. It's not the cheapest for everyday stuff either so it's only a place I'd go to as a treat or when there's a sale on. The prices are very reasonable for wedding/bridesmaid dresses though.

• Advertisement

imagine spending 7k on a dress? how many more guests could you have for that money, or nicer food, or nicer hotel even, or best still - honeymoon!

Debenhams have fab dresses for relatively cheap - and even cheaper in their sale!

The only people who could possibly know if you got a dress on sale are people getting married same time who may have been looking too - but they can hardly comment if they were also looking at the bargains!

Advertisement