Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who does the housework???

Options
  • 11-10-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Just wondering who does most of the housework in your house... do you share, do you do it, or is your OH every womans dream man who cooks, cleans and does the washing?

..I have to admitt that i am not a clean freak by any means.... but i usually end up doing most of the housework in our house- the place would fall apart if i was to wait for OH to get the mop out!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i got the dream man :D

i keep my side of the room tidy (well... re-tidy it every weekend when i have to do the laundry anyway), and occasionally wash the dishes.
    and hoover after cleaning the mouse cages and the woodchippings are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭coco85

^^^ lucky u!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

well, he's unemployed, and my last two weeks of work were about 45hrs each...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Me most of the time :-) I swore it never would be but he considers that if the plates are on top of the dishwasher, the kitchen is clean :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

My hubby does everything including the cooking< mind you i have the excuse of recovering from an illness but i am almost over that now! i know how lucky i am :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ASIL1983

I cook-he does all the cleaning. Lucky girl-but i don't tell him that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

My brother at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

It's basically 50:50 in our house except he does all the vacuuming as I HATE doing it!

Oh he does most of the cooking too. Heehee. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I'm not living out of home yet. Still in college but in our home my father did all the cooking and shopping and cleaning...well mainly him as well. My mother's standpoint when I was very young was "I don't want to do the cooking anymore you can do it". So my dad just took over.

However for teh passed long while I do fifty percent of my own cooking at home and have been washing my own clothes since I was in primary school so I manage my own stuff now. However when I get married I won't mind cooking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

We tend to alternate.

If I cook dinner, he'll do the dishes and vice versa. Same with cleaning, if I do the bathrooms he'll do the sitting room.

The only things he never does are the ironing (cos he's not very good at it) and cleaning out the fish tank (as the last time he did one of the fish died.) I know a lot of men do the "if I mess up really badly she'll never ask me to do it again" thing, but murder was a bit extreme :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

He will do the dishes and general cleaning but never cleans the toilets, does the hoovering, clean the kids bedrooms, do the clothes washing, will do his own ironing but rarely anybody elses, i work PT so i am at home more so i dont mind doing more of a percentage of the work but somestimes feel the ratio is a bit too high on my side..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I take care of the cat, take out the rubbish, sweep and mop the floors, wash and dry clothes, clean the toilet. My wife watches box sets and drinks wine. She's a real stunner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

When we first moved in together he was great, but as of late the rubbish is his sole job. And even then he has to loudly remind me that he is taking out the rubbish, think he deserves a medal dont ye? :)
    Today though i nearly had a heart attack, i walked into the kitchen to see him spraying the floor around the bin, i cautiously asked what he was doing, and he said ......... wait for it ........
    "I'm cleaning here, its filthy"
    HA ..... slight exageration there bucko!! :D the second he said it he knew he had done wrong. That was an eventful afternoon of picture with no sound from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I do all the cleaning or else it simply does not get done. The girlfriend must think I am a mug. Sounds about right...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

We take turns keeping the boat we live on ship shape. But there are trade-offs too. I'm a pretty good cook, but hate doing laundry at the local coin-operated laundromat, so we often trade off, I doing more of the cooking and Cinful doing some of my laundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 haille

I do all the cooking ,housework ,cleaning, laundry {my own ironing, my wife does nt think I am any good at it.she does some herself or else gets someone else to do it.I am a qualified massage therapist so she makes a regular weekly appointment as well. The trade off is she teaches and likes to have house cleaned when she gets home and dinner ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I do all the cooking cause I really enjoy it, he does the dishes. I do most of the laundry, but he does the pooper-scooping out the back (and there's a lot of it - we have three Boxers). Everything else is pretty much 50-50, although it usually works out that I do the bathrooms while he hoovers/mops. He's also great at taking the rubbish out but ALWAYS forgets to put a new bag in the bin...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I do the cooking, because I don't see it as a chore, I love it. He does washing up. He kills me if I attempt it after making a meal!

He actually looks after the kitchen cleaning most of the time. I'd do the hoovering and some tidying. We share the bathroom duties. I iron (but I like doing this!) and he would put a wash in the machine and I would hang it out and put it away.

Works out well, all in all. We've never ever had an argument about domestic duties. :D Are we lucky?

Advertisement