Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail seat reservations - what's the point?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

What station office foggy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

foggy_lad wrote: »

Drivers have no input afaik into the reservations being transmitted to the train apart from when they enter the cab and turn on the communication equipment for the journey.
    I personally suspect that there are other issues with the system apart from transmitting the data between station and train set as dodgy/faulty

I remember once I got to Heuston early for the Westport train. I had booked a seat on carriage A - I got to my seat, with my name overhead.

2 minutes before departure, all power on the train was cut. It restarted a few seconds later, and I happened to notice I was in carriage G, with another name overhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I can see why people are annoyed about it but I'd be engaged if I paid for clearly unmarked seats, especially with kids in tow, and then into the journey was turned out of them.

Why can they not just end reservations and just simply assign a seat to a ticket when it's sold.

I never reserve seats so I'm assuming the reason it's there as a system is either as a sweetener to book online or it costs more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

anncoates wrote: »
    I can see why people are annoyed about it but I'd be engaged if I paid for clearly unmarked seats, especially with kids in tow, and then into the journey was turned out of them.

Why can they not just end reservations and just simply assign a seat to a ticket when it's sold.

I never reserve seats so I'm assuming the reason it's there as a system is either as a sweetener to book online or it costs more?

2 big reasons offhand - seasonal (i.e. monthly/annual tickets), and open-ended return tickets. How do you assign a seat to those, given that they could take any one of a number of services? Short of reserving them a seat on every potential service.......

Ok, you could do away with open-ended return, but that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater, especially when you still have the issue with seasonal tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

cython wrote: »
    2 big reasons offhand - seasonal (i.e. monthly/annual tickets), and open-ended return tickets. How do you assign a seat to those, given that they could take any one of a number of services? Short of reserving them a seat on every potential service.......

Ok, you could do away with open-ended return, but that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater, especially when you still have the issue with seasonal tickets.

The way it normally works in the UK is they assign one coach to be unreserved and make announcements to let you know which one it is. That way you can sit in the reserved section and risk being booted out or get onto the unreserved coach early.

I'm not sure if Irish Rail employs unreserved coaches but it could be a potential fix for some of these problems (where the tickets aren't sold out or trains have been swapped).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

coylemj wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that you cannot purchase a seat online and NOT reserve a seat. People like me will sit anywhere just for a quiet life, I really can't imagine turfing an innocent passenger out of a seat just because IR insist that I sit there. If I book the train in advance, it's so that I can avoid going to the ticket desk, I don't want to reserve a seat so why force me to take one?

I'd turf an innocent passenger out of my seat if the train was otherwise full and there was nowhere else for me to sit (unless said person was old or disabled)

paddyland wrote: »
    Most people's simple answer to this? Forget the train. Drive.

This suits everyone in the long run.

It suits me, because I get there quicker, cheaper, in my own time, in my own company, with more comfort, and without all the hassle.

It certainly suits IR, who would rather run a railway without any passengers at all.

It suits the government, because they earn more tax revenue if I drive.

It suits everyone else on the train, because it's one less person taking up their space.

Bottom line?

This is Ireland. Nobody gives a damn.

I don't drive and even if I did it would be cheaper for me to take the train.

The train would be a lot more pleasant if people were quieter and parents learned to shut their noisy little bastards up

foggy_lad wrote: »
    No such staff on a train to deal with any such issues arising.

There was a ticket inspector on the train from 1.15 train to Waterford yesterday. I complained to him about noisy passengers (shouting and yelling) in my carriage.

His solution was that I should move to another carriage. Told him to I shouldn't have to move (also I'm pretty sure staff are supposed to deal with obnoxious passengers, cnut just didn't want to deal with it it seems).

Ended up confronting passenger myself (first time I did it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Demonique wrote: »
    I'd turf an innocent passenger out of my seat if the train was otherwise full and there was nowhere else for me to sit (unless said person was old or disabled)

Here's a situation Dominique:
    Joe Goon and his stag party gave taken over the carriage where your seat is Allocated.
    Whatya gonna do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Demonique wrote: »
    There was a ticket inspector on the train from 1.15 train to Waterford yesterday. I complained to him about noisy passengers (shouting and yelling) in my carriage.

His solution was that I should move to another carriage. Told him to I shouldn't have to move (also I'm pretty sure staff are supposed to deal with obnoxious passengers, cnut just didn't want to deal with it it seems).

Ended up confronting passenger myself (first time I did it)
    in fairness that inspector would be from the revenue protection unit. what is needed is for the revenue protection unit to have their duties expanded from simple revenue protection back to train gard/host/whatever. then such duties will include security and dealing with any ferrel aboard the train

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

in fairness that inspector would be from the revenue protection unit
    Revenue protection includes making sure customers come back, IMHO

trellheim wrote: »
    Revenue protection includes making sure customers come back, IMHO
    well, it doesn't seem to be in the job description. which is why i want the conductor brought back on to long distance trains instead. they can do revenue protection and deal with customer issues as well. at least that way if there is a problem there is someone to deal with it, specially where stations are unmaned which i believe a couple are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jem72

Few stations on the Sligo line are manned in the evenings and at weekends now. For some strange reason Edgeworthstown is staffed until the last train for 2 or 3 evenings but closes at 3PM on other days.

I'm not sure about other stations but I went from Boyle to Longford on Good Friday and Boyle was unstaffed at 6PM. As expected, there was no inspector on the train so I could easily have gotten away without buying a ticket.

I honestly can't see how not having an inspector on the train is revenue positive. Between people not travelling because they feel unsafe and the revenue lost due to fare evasion, that would have to cover the cost of a shift.

Jem72 wrote: »
    Few stations on the Sligo line are manned in the evenings and at weekends now. For some strange reason Edgeworthstown is staffed until the last train for 2 or 3 evenings but closes at 3PM on other days.

I'm not sure about other stations but I went from Boyle to Longford on Good Friday and Boyle was unstaffed at 6PM. As expected, there was no inspector on the train so I could easily have gotten away without buying a ticket.

I honestly can't see how not having an inspector on the train is revenue positive. Between people not travelling because they feel unsafe and the revenue lost due to fare evasion, that would have to cover the cost of a shift.
    unless there is another reason (cough cough)

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Here's a situation Dominique:
    Joe Goon and his stag party gave taken over the carriage where your seat is Allocated.
    Whatya gonna do?

Ideally I'd use a water cannon, but in reality I'd most likely move to another carriage as loud obnoxious people of all ages are my pet peev on public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Does the weather being #@%% have an effect on thingsbon the train? Did or Did not the names above the seats work today people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Last train I got from Connolly the attendant came round and told people that the seats they were in were reserved from maynooth. That was grand as the people just moved. Problems started when people got on at the next stop and the enevitable standoff happened at maynooth. No other notifications to let people know what seats where reserved.

I seen it one time when a disabled person was in a seat and somebody came on who had reserved a seat and they had to stand for the full journey rather than ask the disabled person to get up as there were not any other seats. When the disabled person got on there were plenty of seats but with nothing to indicate reserved seats then it's going to happen.

Why don't they switch the reserved lights on?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

Surely the way to work it as a lot of others have said is everyone is assigned a seat i.e. checked in

For open tickets, those passengers should have to book their seat say x mins before departure when they decide to travel. They check in online or at the office

Regarding higher price ticket for reservations. Copy what the airlines do. You can see online all the reserved seats and unallocated seats and choose accordingly.
    Those who don't pay the extra are assigned wherever when they check in

Airlines have open return tickets too but at some point the passenger has to be booked into the system

It would make it run a lot smoother if people had access to view everything online. They could see what seats are free and unallocated

Something along those lines.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Jadaol wrote: »
    Surely the way to work it as a lot of others have said is everyone is assigned a seat i.e. checked in

For open tickets, those passengers should have to book their seat say x mins before departure when they decide to travel. They check in online or at the office

Regarding higher price ticket for reservations. Copy what the airlines do. You can see online all the reserved seats and unallocated seats and choose accordingly.
    Those who don't pay the extra are assigned wherever when they check in

Airlines have open return tickets too but at some point the passenger has to be booked into the system

It would make it run a lot smoother if people had access to view everything online. They could see what seats are free and unallocated

Something along those lines.....

Irish rail don't have the technical ability to do this. their systems are already overstretched.

they couldn't guarantee communication between all stations and ticket machines so that if I bought a ticket in any station for a return journey between Xxxxx and Yyyyy stations that the station i book at will know the number of seats available.

real time bookings with reservations are not possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Has IR fixed this reservation system yet, so that the reserved seat sign is lit before departure?

Hmmm maybe, but probably not.

Anyone travelled by train recently on a booked ticket care to confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Has IR fixed this reservation system yet, so that the reserved seat sign is lit before departure?

I haven't taken an IC train in a year or two but the seat reservation system always worked prior to departure for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

No.
    I was on the train recently and a stand off ensued where a woman sat in a seat that had no name over it. First of all the young son arrived and told the woman she was in his seat. The woman refused to move. Then the mother arrived and a second argument followed when she showed her seat number on the ticket.
    The woman moved for the sake of peace and there was a spare seat opposite.

Numpty the conductor arrives later checking tickets and when told, he just shrugs his shoulders saying the system was working earlier - even though it wasn't.

The wifi was working when leaving Heuston, so that excuse doesn't wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

No good to me if the sign is lit before departure. Because I usually get the Dublin-Sligo train, but only board at Maynooth. So someone is usually in my seat already.

Maybe it's a case that the signs need to be made larger/more obvious? But in fairness, "Please do not occupy pre-booked seats" is stated regularly over the speaker system ... how obvious does it have to be?! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

No good to me if the sign is lit before departure. Because I usually get the Dublin-Sligo train, but only board at Maynooth. So someone is usually in my seat already.

Maybe it's a case that the signs need to be made larger/more obvious? But in fairness, "Please do not occupy pre-booked seats" is stated regularly over the speaker system ... how obvious does it have to be?! :confused:

It might be regularly stated, but since the booking system usually isn't turned out until many people are already seated, and occasionally as/after the train leaves the station, how is anyone supposed to know which seats are pre-booked?

MOH wrote: »
    It might be regularly stated, but since the booking system usually isn't turned out until many people are already seated, and occasionally as/after the train leaves the station, how is anyone supposed to know which seats are pre-booked?

Seems to me that one way to get around this is to be at the station as early as possible before departure. Grab your booked seats and sit down whether the sign is lit up or not.

But that defeats the whole purpose of pre booking surely!

It is mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Last time i reserved a seat on the Dublin Sligo line, on the outward journey from Dublin the sign did not light up until Longford, and on the return journey I don't recall seeing it lit up at all.

This was about six weeks ago.

Seems to me that one way to get around this is to be at the station as early as possible before departure. Grab your booked seats and sit down whether the sign is lit up or not.

But that defeats the whole purpose of pre booking surely!

It is mad.

It's also completely impossible if you're boarding at a stop that isn't the first one on the line ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Thankfully the reservation system on the Waterford-Dublin line appears to be a bit more reliable than other lines but it's not without glitches.

I regularly travel on the train to Dublin, at least once every 2 weeks. When I begin my journey in Waterford I never have a problem taking up my reserved seat, however, when I begin my journey in Dublin, it's another kettle of fish so I usually arrive at the station at least 30 minutes before the train is due to leave, travelling is anxiety inducing enough without starting the journey by having a needless row with somebody.

I have the misfortune of outwardly looking like a healthy 28 year old but in fact I have a serious problem with my left leg and my back which means standing, even for very short periods, is extremely painful for me (both at the time and afterwards), this creates all sorts of problems when I have to get someone to move from my reserved seat. I book a seat because I have to, standing is not an option for me, so I always ensure I book my seat.
    It annoys me when I get on the train and there is somebody sitting in the seat who claims they need the seat because of A or B, if you need a seat, book a seat, it's very simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Worked on the Belfast - Dublin route yesterday BUT ONLY ON ARRIVAL IN DUBLIN!

So I got on in Belfast, had to ask the IE person on the platform which was carriage B because the signs showed Out of Service on all the carriages. No names above the seats. Got in, felt bad about asking the elderly gentleman to move but there were spare seats available. Only after the engine was switched off in Dublin did my name come up. Hadn't worked on the way up either but no-one was sitting in "my" seat then.

Was an ICR 22000 on both legs. Very comfortable.

Complaint emailed in but don't expect anything of it.

I don't know much about the technology end of things, but is this debacle down to laziness, incompetence, bad technology, lack of communication, or an "IR don't care" attitude?

It's all very well and fine to pre book your seats for 14.99 or whatever, but the stress of it all is very telling for many people who have posted on here.

I am taking an elderly uncle to Sligo soon on the train, to visit his brother. First time in a year. He has FTP and I will book a seat for myself fare paid, and for him, so we will be together. He can get a bit confused, and I would rather the journey both ends went smoothly by pre booking.

However, reading the posts on here, I am absolutely dreading it. Really am, and maybe I am over reacting.

Perhaps the bus to Sligo might be a better bet? What do you good people think?

Driving is not an option for me at the moment, because of an eye condition. So it is train or bus for us!!

Just trying to help a relative here!

• Advertisement

If you're heading to Sligo just turn up 20 to 25 minutes early unless you're trying for the 17:05 on a Friday where you might want to leave yourself another few minutes. I commute 4 days a week and never have any bother with seats if I leave myself enough time. Try to avoid booking a seat in the Dublin-end car as that is where most of the bookings end up and you are most likely to have a problem there.

Just be polite about asking somebody to move and perhaps be a bit sensible. Although it is not very principled, it is probably unwise to ask a group of young men with a slab of lager on the table to move. If you leave yourself 20 to 25 minutes, you'll have no difficulty finding alternative seats.

If the booking system fails, and you are in alternative seats, and somebody asks you to move you do not have to do so if it past 20 minutes before departure time. Bookings are voided 20 minutes before departure unless they are from an intermediate station.

For a stress-free journey, also avoid the 19:05 particularly on a Friday as it can be a bit rowdy.

If you're heading to Sligo just turn up 20 to 25 minutes early unless you're trying for the 17:05 on a Friday where you might want to leave yourself another few minutes. I commute 4 days a week and never have any bother with seats if I leave myself enough time. Try to avoid booking a seat in the Dublin-end car as that is where most of the bookings end up and you are most likely to have a problem there.

Just be polite about asking somebody to move and perhaps be a bit sensible. Although it is not very principled, it is probably unwise to ask a group of young men with a slab of lager on the table to move. If you leave yourself 20 to 25 minutes, you'll have no difficulty finding alternative seats.

If the booking system fails, and you are in alternative seats, and somebody asks you to move you do not have to do so if it past 20 minutes before departure time. Bookings are voided 20 minutes before departure unless they are from an intermediate station.

For a stress-free journey, also avoid the 19:05 particularly on a Friday as it can be a bit rowdy.

I am sensible and polite. It's the fact that my elderly uncle is going to be with me that is causing me a bit of worry. He doesn't like it when things go wrong, believe me!

Anyway what is the Dublin end car you mentioned above?

And thanks for the tips!

The Dublin end car is the car that is on the end of the train facing Dublin. It will be given a letter but I can never remember if it is A or D/G as I never book tickets. But it seems to have the highest number of booked seats so it is the car where you are most likely to have an argument over a seat.

Just don't book in either end car unless you need the accessible toilet.

I don't know much about the technology end of things, but is this debacle down to laziness, incompetence, bad technology, lack of communication, or an "IR don't care" attitude?

It's all very well and fine to pre book your seats for 14.99 or whatever, but the stress of it all is very telling for many people who have posted on here.

I am taking an elderly uncle to Sligo soon on the train, to visit his brother. First time in a year. He has FTP and I will book a seat for myself fare paid, and for him, so we will be together. He can get a bit confused, and I would rather the journey both ends went smoothly by pre booking.

However, reading the posts on here, I am absolutely dreading it. Really am, and maybe I am over reacting.

Driving is not an option for me at the moment, because of an eye condition. So it is train or bus for us!!

i don't know which you should get. in theory the train might be more comfortable for your unkle, but if its a 2900 suburban railcar well not so comfortable.

i don't know which you should get. in theory the train might be more comfortable for your unkle, but if its a 2900 suburban railcar well not so comfortable.

Are ya telling me that a suburban train goes all the way to Sligo?

Maybe I am misinterpreting your post.

Thanks for responding anyway.

Are ya telling me that a suburban train goes all the way to Sligo?

Maybe I am misinterpreting your post.

Thanks for responding anyway.

unfortunately your not misinterpreting my post at all. suburban trains can turn up on sligo services all be it how common it is these days i don't know

You
    However, reading the posts oassim absolutely dreading it. Really am, and maybe I am over reacting.

You will be grand, just ask for assistance to get on the train in Connolly.

unfortunately your not misinterpreting my post at all. suburban trains can turn up on sligo services all be it how common it is these days i don't know
    The first on Sundays is a commuter.

I am sensible and polite. It's the fact that my elderly uncle is going to be with me that is causing me a bit of worry. He doesn't like it when things go wrong, believe me!

Anyway what is the Dublin end car you mentioned above?

And thanks for the tips!

It would be the rear coach, people tend to get on at the first door they see so the rear coach would fill up first.

• Advertisement

The Dublin end car is the car that is on the end of the train facing Dublin. It will be given a letter but I can never remember if it is A or D/G as I never book tickets. But it seems to have the highest number of booked seats so it is the car where you are most likely to have an argument over a seat.

Just don't book in either end car unless you need the accessible toilet.

As has been pointed out, this is not necessarily the case if the reservation system does not work. It is not impossible for no carriage letters to be displayed either.

It is all very confusing isn't it?

But thank you all for your great tips. I reckon we will be grand.

But I wish I didn't have to worry about in the first place! That should not happen.

Cheers again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Worked on the Belfast - Dublin route yesterday BUT ONLY ON ARRIVAL IN DUBLIN!

So I got on in Belfast, had to ask the IE person on the platform which was carriage B because the signs showed Out of Service on all the carriages. No names above the seats. Got in, felt bad about asking the elderly gentleman to move but there were spare seats available. Only after the engine was switched off in Dublin did my name come up. Hadn't worked on the way up either but no-one was sitting in "my" seat then.

Was an ICR 22000 on both legs. Very comfortable.

Complaint emailed in but don't expect anything of it.

So there were spare seats available, and you say there was no notice displaying that the seat was reserved....yet you felt justified ejecting an "elderly gentleman" from the seat he sat in??

If the booking system fails, and you are in alternative seats, and somebody asks you to move you do not have to do so if it past 20 minutes before departure time. Bookings are voided 20 minutes before departure unless they are from an intermediate station..

Hi
    Can you show me where in the terms and conditions it stipulates this. I'm unable to find it.
    Thanks

A quick google brings you to the document below

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/conditionsoftravel1.pdf

Section 43.6 states "Passengers at terminal stations who wish to claim their reserved seats must be available for boarding at least twenty minutes prior to the advertised departure time of the train."

The arguments about the rights and wrongs of booking seats on Irish Rail have all been had before. My opinion is that the system as implemented is a complete mess and just causes unnecessary stress and hassle. I personally think it is a bit rude to make somebody move (especially an elderly person) if they are sitting in an booked but unmarked seat, but then I would think so as I am a commuter and so never have a booked ticket. The fault is with Irish Rail - not the poor individual who has unwittingly occupied a booked seat.

The use of commuter railcars to Sligo has almost finished up except for the odd train on Fridays and at weekends. The bus is slightly more comfortable than these but not much as Bus Eireann tend to use their best coaches for routes with more effective private competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

JayRoc wrote: »
    So there were spare seats available, and you say there was no notice displaying that the seat was reserved....yet you felt justified ejecting an "elderly gentleman" from the seat he sat in??

Yes. I am not able to predict how many other people were likely to board the train after me Either in Belfast or the other intermediary stations. My reserved seat was printed On my ticket. The elderly gentleman sat across from me and we had a nice chat. Happy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Just adding my own experience - travelling on Dublin-Sligo route this past weekend and need to book a seat facing the wheelchair gap - the compulsory booking system shows 3 carriages so my seat is C08 - I arrive at Connolly and train in service is a 4-car set and C08 is a standard seat wedged between others (no table). The seat I selected is in the invisible 4th carriage D...

No bother - I just take the seats I really need and the conductor can't explain why there's a mix up. Curiosity brought me to this thread and wikipedia, which shows these trains (22000 class) are actually 28 3-car sets, 25 4-car sets and 10 5-cars sets so I guess a) the reservation system has no idea which length is being used for each service or b) this was a one-off substitution and I was just unlucky.... Discuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    Just adding my own experience - travelling on Dublin-Sligo route this past weekend and need to book a seat facing the wheelchair gap - the compulsory booking system shows 3 carriages so my seat is C08 - I arrive at Connolly and train in service is a 4-car set and C08 is a standard seat wedged between others (no table).

No bother - I just take the seats I really need and the conductor can't explain why there's a mix up. Curiosity brought me to this thread and wikipedia, which shows these trains (22000 class) are actually 28 3-car sets, 25 4-car sets and 10 5-cars sets so I guess a) the reservation system has no idea which length is being used for each service or b) this was a one-off substitution and I was just unlucky.... Discuss
    Those lists of the different train sets have also been swapped and changed with many 3car sets having a carriage added and 6 car sets being reduced to 5 or increased to 7 by using a 3+4. as it stands the reservation system is not really fit for purpose and should be scrapped outside of 1st class in favour of a free for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

I have often wondered about this. Did NTA pay IE to shorten the 22K's or was it just malice ?

trellheim wrote: »
    I have often wondered about this. Did NTA pay IE to shorten the 22K's or was it just malice ?
    as with anything to do with irish rail. anything is possible, and we'l never know the truth unless they are "caught in the act" if you know what i mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Did NTA pay IE to shorten the 22K's or was it just malice ?

No, it was IE who decided to do it to reduce costs. While it's work reasonably well after a long time settling down I suspect they will have no other option soon enough but to start returning part of the fleet changes back to normal.
    Just adding my own experience - travelling on Dublin-Sligo route this past weekend and need to book a seat facing the wheelchair gap - the compulsory booking system shows 3 carriages so my seat is C08 - I arrive at Connolly and train in service is a 4-car set and C08 is a standard seat wedged between others (no table). The seat I selected is in the invisible 4th carriage D...

The online system is deliberately this way it is to ensure bookings can be assigned seating even if different sets operate. If you want a guaranteed table then book in the First/Last carriage online or in any other carriages get as close to the middle as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement