Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat this: Dublin Bus stop game

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

lxflyer wrote: »
    Ideally bus stops on routes should be about 400m apart, but local circumstances may dictate a need for closer spacing, such as in the city centre and in suburban housing estates where people may already have had to walk a reasonable distance to get to the bus route.
    Why would they need to be closer in the city or housing estates? An extra 1/2 minute walk isn't going to affect most people

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Why would they need to be closer in the city or housing estates? An extra 1/2 minute walk isn't going to affect most people

Read what I said above again.

People may already have walked a not insignificant distance to get to the bus route already due to the way some estates are designed - extending that further is not always the right idea.

There is a balance to be struck here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

lxflyer wrote: »
    Read what I said above again.

People may already have walked a not insignificant distance to get to the bus route already - extending that further is not always the right idea.

We need to stop bending over backwards to help every possible minority to the detriment of the service to the overall whole. The needs of the many and all that. We are talking about an extra 200 metres of a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Does the 84 still loop into cherrywood and stop on both sides of the r118? If so those stops are only physically 50m or so apart but longer by actual road distance of corse

Does the 84 still loop into cherrywood and stop on both sides of the r118? If so those stops are only physically 50m or so apart but longer by actual road distance of corse

The 84 only serves one stop in either direction, not both.

• Advertisement

We need to stop bending over backwards to help every possible minority to the detriment of the service to the overall whole. The needs of the many and all that. We are talking about an extra 200 metres of a walk

We are actually talking about a bus service here. That's something that is there to serve the entire community, provide a convenient service, and transport people from A to B.

I would entirely agree that there are definitely quite a few stops that could be removed from the network and merged with others, because of their proximity, but I don't think that they come anywhere close to 60% of stops.

There are most definitely circumstances where stops can be legitimately be located less than 400m apart. As I have quoted above, there are estates in suburban Dublin where buses operate along a main road, which then has spine roads joining it, the far ends of some of which can be over 600m away. I don't think that removing stops from the junction of these spine roads and merging them into a stop a further 200m away is exactly "serving the community", where each stop would already be busy at peak times.

You have to look at the individual circumstances of each stop and see what the impact is going to be. You certainly cannot just decide to remove stops with a strike of the pen.

What you are focussing on is getting people from A to B faster. That can be achieved at peak times by reintroducing more Xpresso services, that serve all stops in the outer areas and then operate limited stop to the city in the morning, and back in the evening. There needs to be a mix of services to deliver a proper bus service, between limited stop, local and QBC routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

In a similar vein, what about the 75 loop around Sandyford?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't see why this should be a Dublin-only game.

In Galway we have the stops outside Mervue Health Centre and Michael Collins Flats - a massive 59m apart! And yes, the 405 buses DO stop at both.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/''/St+James+Road+(Mervue+Church)/@53.2818034,-9.0167961,19z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x485b96cc7057021b:0xc2dfbf32de15adba!2m2!1d-9.016655!2d53.281771!1m5!1m1!1s0x485b96cc65a305a7:0x9f4afbfd2c75609!2m2!1d-9.016228!2d53.281442

And I've always been fond of this picture showing old and new bus shelters just metres apart on Coolough Rd in Menlo (I'm not actually sure which one the buses were stopping at: the new one, or the one with the BE sign.
    DSC_0044.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

3 meters on the 70, 270, the width of the street.. There are bus stops on both side of the street in littlepace. The street is 800 m long and is a cul de sac where the buses do a u turn and serve both sides of the street. Takes around 15min to go through at peak time on that street ie 30 min per day wasted when you commute to city center on the 70. Complete non sense that has been going on for years, it would make more sense to get a system allowing buses through the end of the street, rather than having a u turn. It must be a system to push people using a car to commute rather than public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

3 stops on Ballinteer avenue. First stop opposite Maxols - next is 150 metres away at spar and then another one 160 metres further down. Served by the 75 and 14 (and the 116?). They could drop the other bus stops and just keep the Spar one as this is a off road bay big enough for two buses.

There are three stops on the other side of the avenue as well but these are more widely spaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Cilar wrote: »
    3 meters on the 70, 270, the width of the street.. There are bus stops on both side of the street in littlepace. The street is 800 m long and is a cul de sac where the buses do a u turn and serve both sides of the street. Takes around 15min to go through at peak time on that street ie 30 min per day wasted when you commute to city center on the 70. Complete non sense that has been going on for years, it would make more sense to get a system allowing buses through the end of the street, rather than having a u turn. It must be a system to push people using a car to commute rather than public transport.

Dublin Bus and the council have tried to install a bus gate in Littlepace many times but it has always been opposed. You can't blame the bus company for how a hosing estate was designed and how residents block attempts to improve public transport.

I think the 70/270 is better than it's ever been. Once it leaves Littlepace, the 70 is pretty much direct to the city centre. Much better than the days when it served Blanchardstown village and centre. The timetable of the 270 is designed well to give a good level of service to Dunboyne, Clonee and Littlepace when combined with the 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

KD345 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus and the council have tried to install a bus gate in Littlepace many times but it has always been opposed. You can't blame the bus company for how a hosing estate was designed and how residents block attempts to improve public transport.

Is there a way to force this through? This penalizes a larger number of users from upper the route (Dunboyne mainly), and this would allow the 270/70 to serve more users from Blanchardstown.

I could see why residents would be opposing opening that road to all traffic, but a gate allowing buses, and buses only, would not create significant disturbance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anyone mentioned 254 and 253 ( I think) outside beaumont hospital? about 0 meters apart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Bambi wrote: »
    Anyone mentioned 254 and 253 ( I think) outside beaumont hospital? about 0 meters apart

Those stops serve the 27B going in different directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Those stops serve the 27B going in different directions.

You sure? the 27b going into town is actually the stop across the green.

Those two stops serve the 17a to blanchardstown and the 27b to Harristown respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

stop number 47 & 48 on Drumcondra road.... not even 5 minute walk between them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I think the 70/270 is better than it's ever been. Once it leaves Littlepace, the 70 is pretty much direct to the city centre. Much better than the days when it served Blanchardstown village and centre. The timetable of the 270 is designed well to give a good level of service to Dunboyne, Clonee and Littlepace when combined with the 70.

I really can't see why a bus gate is required. There is absolutely no reason for the bus to stop more than twice in Littlepace, once at the shopping centre and once at the Hartstown end is more than enough. The problem in Littlepace isn't the cul the sac its the number of bus stops - is it 8? Why when they built this place they thought they would need a bus stop every couple of metres is beyond me - its more like a door to door taxi service than a public transport service if you live along that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Coat22 wrote: »
    I really can't see why a bus gate is required. There is absolutely no reason for the bus to stop more than twice in Littlepace, once at the shopping centre and once at the Hartstown end is more than enough. The problem in Littlepace isn't the cul the sac its the number of bus stops - is it 8? Why when they built this place they thought they would need a bus stop every couple of metres is beyond me - its more like a door to door taxi service than a public transport service if you live along that road.
    I'm pretty sure a much bigger improvement would come from that bus gate being fitted than removing some of the stops (and directly inconveniencing people even further). Instead, there is no bus priority measures that would help every bus user, all because of the imagined fears of some residents. NIMBYism at its worst.

Advertisement