Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann Sligo to Dublin Bus has no toilet on it!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

What percentage of the population has as poor a "system" as you that requires you to need to pee every 2 hours OP? You have the option of the train to cope with your odd complaint, so use it. /thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I honestly think the OP is trolling...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

lxflyer wrote: »
    I think that's a little unfair. It has nothing to do with competition or otherwise.

The track beyond Maynooth is a single track line with passing loops which causes issues as you increase the number of trains operating.

I doubt that in 1900 there were 7 trains a day in either direction on the route, plus 2 Longford commuter services.

Or perhaps you have a magic wand that can miraculously increase the line speed of the track?

blimey is it really single lane after maynooth to sligo? - I thought it started getting single line after edgworthstown...

I dont personally think Longford should be running a commuter service as well if its the case thats affecting the sligo to dublin train - we need a nice fast train service from Sligo to Dublin without having to wait for other trains on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there should be no toilets on buses. There would be smoking, drinking, injecting, sex acts, not to mention offensive odours from legitimate toilet uses, and the fact that it's illegal to be out of your seat and not belted while the vehicle is in motion. So, we're going to have ensure toilets are only used while the bus is stopped? What if someone decides to use it while stopped at bus stop, the driver has to wait til it's vacant before pulling away? That's going to be interesting when the bus is double parked blocking whatever main street he has to stop at cause the authorities can't be arsed building proper bus stop bays.

Now add the additional turn around time at a depot because of cleaning and this is a **** up waiting to happen.

Btw, the NTA are now proposing all new coaches for longer distance journeys must have toilets on board. They don't specify what exactly longer distance is but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

I would be disappointed in myself if I had not sorted my bladder related fortitude before getting on a bus.
    :mad::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

gbob wrote: »
    Btw, the NTA are now proposing all new coaches for longer distance journeys must have toilets on board. They don't specify what exactly longer distance is but there ya go.

This would make sense on motorway only routes, but the use of "longer distance", if that is the exact wording, seems a little broad stroke.

bbk wrote: »
    This would make sense on motorway only routes, but the use of "longer distance", if that is the exact wording, seems a little broad stroke.

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Public-Consultation-on-2014-Bus-Public-Service-Contracts-V0-9-121025-Final-Updated.pdf

Goto Page 7

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There would be smoking, drinking, injecting, sex acts, not to mention offensive odours from legitimate toilet uses ...

Now add the additional turn around time at a depot because of cleaning and this is a **** up waiting to happen.

We've had toilets on the Galway / Dublin express buses for several years now, and I've not been aware of any acts like the ones you mention (not even when the FTP was accepted).

Neither does there seem to be any issue (pun intended!) with turn arounds.

We've had toilets on the Galway / Dublin express buses for several years now, and I've not been aware of any acts like the ones you mention (not even when the FTP was accepted).

Neither does there seem to be any issue (pun intended!) with turn arounds.

Maybe there's a better class of people on the galway/dublin buses, but I've witnessed all of the above on various other routes, including the ones where a toilet should be a prerequisite.

I just imagine it would be so much worse if those gob****es had a closed door to take advantage of.

I remember when the cross channel service had a toilet on board, and the disgusting mess left behind by the dirty f_ckers using it.

We've had toilets on the Galway / Dublin express buses for several years now...

lucky buggers .... - whats the trip time from Galway to Dublin please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

lucky buggers .... - whats the trip time from Galway to Dublin please?

About 2 and a half hours. Not long enough to need a toilet on a coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there should be no toilets on buses. There would be smoking, drinking, injecting, sex acts, not to mention offensive odours from legitimate toilet uses,
    By your logic trains, with their multiple toilets....

n97 mini wrote: »
    By your logic trains, with their multiple toilets....

I don't work on the trains, but 20 yrs driving buses is what shapes my opinion. Any train workers on here care to comment.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there should be no toilets on buses. There would be smoking, drinking, injecting, sex acts, not to mention offensive odours from legitimate toilet uses, and the fact that it's illegal to be out of your seat and not belted while the vehicle is in motion. So, we're going to have ensure toilets are only used while the bus is stopped? What if someone decides to use it while stopped at bus stop, the driver has to wait til it's vacant before pulling away? That's going to be interesting when the bus is double parked blocking whatever main street he has to stop at cause the authorities can't be arsed building proper bus stop bays.

Maybe you should read that again, it's a summary of submissions made to the NTA, not NTA policy. Could even be the OPs submission!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Whenever I've used the service the driver has always stopped for a toilet stop, either in Longford or sometimes Carrick on Shannon on the 11 o'clock service.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sonicstrav

I've got the 2300 service out from Dub to Sligo as far as Newtownforbes a couple of times. I've managed the 2.5 hour journey without needing a p*ss - but there's not even a scheduled break in Longford as the station is shut.

What are the arrangements for these late evening services if I did need a p*ss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sonicstrav wrote: »
    I've got the 2300 service out from Dub to Sligo as far as Newtownforbes a couple of times. I've managed the 2.5 hour journey without needing a p*ss - but there's not even a scheduled break in Longford as the station is shut.

Empty your bladder before you board the bus like most people are able to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Bus Eireann is Public sector workforce after all OP.
    Why not check out the private operator ( off the top of my head I don't know who they are).
    If the private operator bus hasn't got lavatory facilities you should blast some piss at them. Good lad.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I really think they should fit toilets to their newest fleet that they will be keeping for a long time.

Only their latest 20 will have which is nowhere near enough.

Suppose the other option as said would be see if private operator has one or use the train if possible instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

My lad who travels every now and again tells me that the Bus eireann route23 with a 4Hour journey from sligo to Dublin has no toilet on it! - just a 5 minute stop at Longford railway station - Absolute crazy! - I couldnt cross me legs all that time lol :eek:

He should get the train - it takes three hours and has a toilet on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 sonicstrav

Hungerford wrote: »
    He should get the train - it takes three hours and has a toilet on board.

Not possible after 7pm - only option is bus at 8pm / 11pm from Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Why not have a bar with a drinks, food and waiters for a so long trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

al22 wrote: »
    Why not have a bar with a drinks, food and waiters for a so long trip?

Look up party bus/ limo bus there is something.

my lad is ok with it - he dont mind he can hold it if he needs to go, but im afraid with me thats a deal breaker, i would never use a bus journey for that long a journey without a loo on board and one small stop - no, id take the train even if it is pricey at 42 euro whatever it is. I remember when i used to get up to Dublin for 18 Irish punts return - that was great value

my lad is ok with it - he dont mind he can hold it if he needs to go, but im afraid with me thats a deal breaker, i would never use a bus journey for that long a journey without a loo on board and one small stop - no, id take the train even if it is pricey at 42 euro whatever it is. I remember when i used to get up to Dublin for 18 Irish punts return - that was great value
    AFAIK it is a 15 minute stop in Longford, that is what is on the timetable and these stops are usually not for customers comfort but to comply with rules on driver breaks and rest periods.

Of course if people are unable to travel for a couple of hours without a toilet then the train is the only option for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

sonicstrav wrote: »

I know the early morning Sligo to Dublin bus stops at the Garage on the Dublin road in Longford when the rail station is closed, didn't realise the late bus from Dublin didn't - that said, in all my years of travelling on buses i have never used a toilet on a bus lol. There was a toilet on the 3.30pm Sligo bus last week, i personally prefer buses without them - Sligo to Dublin is a long enough journey without the bus reeking to high heavens for most of the journey lol

yes i was just about to ask what are the toilets like (ie condition/cleanliness) on Bus Eireann buses with toilets on them. Are they generally clean?

I think my lad also tells me they are not expressway buses from Sligo to Dublin just normal Buses, i think thats what he said.

If there is anything i would ever want something else to be persued its a fast service from Sligo to dublin so that you could get on a bus/coach in Sligo and then get off at Dublin without any stops on the way (apart of course for break for driver and passengers to relief/refreshments) you know a true expressway service! - same with the trains , would be nice to have a service whereby you could get on Sligo, Ballymote, Collooney .... and then next stop Connolly , cut out all those other stations - would be very cool and much needed, knock some journey time off too. Especially seeing as theres no airplane service from Sligo to Dublin now the sligo airport service to dublin has gone. - plus we dont have any luxury of a 120kmh proper motorway from Sligo to Dublin i think there should be at least 2 services a day to get to Dublin fast on a train or bus without stopping at every station/bus stop.

yes i was just about to ask what are the toilets like (ie condition/cleanliness) on Bus Eireann buses with toilets on them. Are they generally clean?

I think my lad also tells me they are not expressway buses from Sligo to Dublin just normal Buses, i think thats what he said.

If there is anything i would ever want something else to be persued its a fast service from Sligo to dublin so that you could get on a bus/coach in Sligo and then get off at Dublin without any stops on the way (apart of course for break for driver and passengers to relief/refreshments) you know a true expressway service! - same with the trains , would be nice to have a service whereby you could get on Sligo, Ballymote, Collooney .... and then next stop Connolly , cut out all those other stations - would be very cool and much needed, knock some journey time off too. Especially seeing as theres no airplane service from Sligo to Dublin now the sligo airport service to dublin has gone. - plus we dont have any luxury of a 120kmh proper motorway from Sligo to Dublin i think there should be at least 2 services a day to get to Dublin fast on a train or bus without stopping at every station/bus stop.

Toilets will get quite smelly as it is not a drivers job to clean them(unless they work for a private company) so they will only be cleaned when the bus is back at the garage/depot it is based.

Bus Éireann have a few different types of bus, they have commuter coaches which are smaller almost Midi sized buses and usually a bit cramped inside and generally used on commuter services around Dublin Cork Limerick Galway etc. These are never used for expressway duties as they are not suitable.

The buses used on Expressway services are the old LC type with the black and red plastic/vinyl seats, (the double deck version of these the LD type are also used on most Dublin based commuter services), SC type which are more luxurious than the LC type but still quite old and the newer batches of SE type coaches, some of which have toilets.

There are some older and odd coaches also used for expressway but these are being phased out due to their age and condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

An express train from Sligo would be a sure-fire way of killing the line. Roughly 90% of the traffic on the line is from Longford and points closer and the bread and butter of the whole line is Longford and Mullingar commuters.

An express would perhaps save 15 minutes and for this would bypass 90% of the market. No way does a town the size of Sligo justify this. Now if you were talking about a better bus service, an express or very limited stops service from Sligo is justifiable and would probably do pretty well.

It is a huge pity that there is nobody like Aircoach or Dublin Coach running to Sligo with a high-frequency express coach service. I guess the lack of motorway makes their business model non-viable. Because if there was, it would force Irish Rail to up their game considerably. I have noticed that the new tri-axle Bus Eireann coaches are making a much more frequent appearance in Longford on Ballina and Sligo services so it does appear that better coaches are trickling town onto the routes to the north-west.

• Advertisement

The only time the Sligo buses need extra capacity is at weekends for the students and even then it would not be needed every week, so there is little demand for an express service like has been introduced to Galway or Limerick. Most of the passengers are going to the small villages onthe route which are not served by any other services. The route also provides a type of stage carriage service like the X8 used to provide when it stopped in Portlaoise.

Because of the terrain and mountainous roads the route has very little to offer in time savings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement