Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Eireann Sligo to Dublin Bus has no toilet on it!

• 15-12-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭

My lad who travels every now and again tells me that the Bus eireann route23 with a 4Hour journey from sligo to Dublin has no toilet on it! - just a 5 minute stop at Longford railway station - Absolute crazy! - I couldnt cross me legs all that time lol :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Is it not a 3 and a half hour journey. If its such a problem why not take the train?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

And the bus driver is happy enough to let you off the bus for a toilet break if you let him know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

biomed32 wrote: »
    And the bus driver is happy enough to let you off the bus for a toilet break if you let him know

my lad is ok with it - but i wouldnt be not with my bladder lol , id have to be asking the driver to stop every 10 minutes lol - but how outdated is this? , i bet the bus driver loves this if he had to stop a lot of times on route for people who want a pee.

- I think i will stick to train, even knowing that the bus has no toilet on it puts me off straight away even if it is a lot cheaper than the train!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

i bet the bus driver loves this if he had to stop a lot of times on route for people who want a pee.
    My sarcasm detector may be broken. I can't imagine a driver enjoying this.

Many services have such arrangements and it is rarely a problem.

and if you had a passenger with a weak bladder or bladder problem you would not anger the driver nor the other passengers keep having to stop the bus on its journey no?

• Advertisement

anyone know why the bus for such a long journey does not have a toilet onboard? - is it because it takes up too much room/seats? - is it because they dont want to clean it out? - i cant be the only person questioning this can I? - i just couldnt imagine other public transport (apart from Taxi lol) without a toilet on board for such a long trip...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

You get off in Longford and use the toilet in the station...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

Maybe it's an old bus they using for that route that doesnt have a toilet on board, most of the newer buses have toilets in them.

PLL wrote: »
    You get off in Longford and use the toilet in the station...

yep i said that at the start of the thread - if im on a train ive most probably had a wee at least once before longford, and a couple more before ive got to Dublin Connelly .... :)

bluemartin wrote: »
    Maybe it's an old bus they using for that route that doesnt have a toilet on board, most of the newer buses have toilets in them.

no, i think there pretty newish busses, think he said theres wi-fi onboard .... but no loo!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

bring large empty milk bottle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I haven't seen a toilet on a bus in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

braddun wrote: »

And a shower curtain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Who uses the toilet on a bus anyway. Might as well just sit in your own and other peoples sh it.

Take the train if you need the loo every 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Christ how could anyone survive a 1.5-2hr trip without a toilet, the shear horror of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Senna wrote: »
    Christ how could anyone survive a 1.5-2hr trip without a toilet, the shear horror of it.

To be fair, if I come down with a kidney infection/UTI, I'm pissing every 20 minutes.

just the thought of going on a 3hr+ trip on public transport without a bog on it ...... makes me wanna pee!

braddun wrote: »

have you seen the he-wee and she-wee in the chemists - saw one the other day lol, could use that i suppose :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

just to point out DB route 27 driver goes from Clarehall to Jobstown and back again 4 hour round trip, and no toilets still when they get to either terminus they can be driving for over 5 and half hours with no toilet facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cdebru wrote: »
    just to point out DB route 27 driver goes from Clarehall to Jobstown and back again 4 hour round trip, and no toilets still when they get to either terminus they can be driving for over 5 and half hours with no toilet facilities.

but DB drivers are allowed piss against the offside rear wheel :D

[maybe more suitable for the DB mythbuster thread]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

but DB drivers are allowed piss against the offside rear wheel :D

[maybe more suitable for the DB mythbuster thread]

harder for the women folk and not advisable for anyone to be in a housing estate with his bits out, a rule from a different age and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

how did the OP survive 5 years ago when toilets didn't exist on any irish bus service and journies were longer?

Recommend
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homecraft-Cygnet-1L-Female-Urinal/dp/B0043BU5U2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I've never yet used an aircraft loo (never mind a bus one) despite 10 hour flights, and I'm pretty old and decrepit , maybe you could regulate your intake? Three and a half hours sounds a piece of piss to me ( see what I did there?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

We live on a small island no need for a toilet on a bus unless it's a touring coach. All you have to do is manage you're fluid intake pre and during journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jem72

This is because there is no high-frequency effective private competition on the Sligo route. Bus Eireann put all the nice new buses on the routes with competition and rotate the older buses onto the Sligo run. For the same reason the train takes the same amount of time that it took in 1900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

biomed32 wrote: »

And than we can start another thread about how bus eireann is always late, why oh why can't they keep to a timetable etc...

my lad is ok with it - but i wouldnt be not with my bladder lol , id have to be asking the driver to stop every 10 minutes lol - but how outdated is this? , i bet the bus driver loves this if he had to stop a lot of times on route for people who want a pee.

- I think i will stick to train, even knowing that the bus has no toilet on it puts me off straight away even if it is a lot cheaper than the train!

I'm sorry if you cant hold it for 1.5 hours or so between stops. The bus driver has set stop and wont be pulling over every 10 mins to go to the toilet or to let yourself go. Think about it this way if you were say driving that route, would you be pulling over at every 10 mins looking for a petrol station or B+B to take a wee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,941 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Jem72 wrote: »
    This is because there is no high-frequency effective private competition on the Sligo route. Bus Eireann put all the nice new buses on the routes with competition and rotate the older buses onto the Sligo run. For the same reason the train takes the same amount of time that it took in 1900.

I think that's a little unfair. It has nothing to do with competition or otherwise.

The track beyond Maynooth is a single track line with passing loops which causes issues as you increase the number of trains operating.

I doubt that in 1900 there were 7 trains a day in either direction on the route, plus 2 Longford commuter services.

Or perhaps you have a magic wand that can miraculously increase the line speed of the track?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

corktina wrote: »
    I've never yet used an aircraft loo (never mind a bus one) despite 10 hour flights, and I'm pretty old and decrepit , maybe you could regulate your intake? Three and a half hours sounds a piece of piss to me ( see what I did there?)

Aircraft aircon dehydrates you quite effectively via the skin (not particularly healthy method of water excretion mind!) which means that unless you're drinking alcohol you're not hugely likely to need to use the jacks.

• Advertisement

We live on a small island no need for a toilet on a bus unless it's a touring coach. All you have to do is manage you're fluid intake pre and during journey.

i like to be well hydrated all the time, helps the skin and the body - especially as travelling de-hydrates you anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

What percentage of the population has as poor a "system" as you that requires you to need to pee every 2 hours OP? You have the option of the train to cope with your odd complaint, so use it. /thread.

I honestly think the OP is trolling...

lxflyer wrote: »
    I think that's a little unfair. It has nothing to do with competition or otherwise.

The track beyond Maynooth is a single track line with passing loops which causes issues as you increase the number of trains operating.

I doubt that in 1900 there were 7 trains a day in either direction on the route, plus 2 Longford commuter services.

Or perhaps you have a magic wand that can miraculously increase the line speed of the track?

blimey is it really single lane after maynooth to sligo? - I thought it started getting single line after edgworthstown...

I dont personally think Longford should be running a commuter service as well if its the case thats affecting the sligo to dublin train - we need a nice fast train service from Sligo to Dublin without having to wait for other trains on the line

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there should be no toilets on buses. There would be smoking, drinking, injecting, sex acts, not to mention offensive odours from legitimate toilet uses, and the fact that it's illegal to be out of your seat and not belted while the vehicle is in motion. So, we're going to have ensure toilets are only used while the bus is stopped? What if someone decides to use it while stopped at bus stop, the driver has to wait til it's vacant before pulling away? That's going to be interesting when the bus is double parked blocking whatever main street he has to stop at cause the authorities can't be arsed building proper bus stop bays.

Now add the additional turn around time at a depot because of cleaning and this is a **** up waiting to happen.

Btw, the NTA are now proposing all new coaches for longer distance journeys must have toilets on board. They don't specify what exactly longer distance is but there ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I would be disappointed in myself if I had not sorted my bladder related fortitude before getting on a bus.
    :mad::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

gbob wrote: »
    Btw, the NTA are now proposing all new coaches for longer distance journeys must have toilets on board. They don't specify what exactly longer distance is but there ya go.

This would make sense on motorway only routes, but the use of "longer distance", if that is the exact wording, seems a little broad stroke.

bbk wrote: »
    This would make sense on motorway only routes, but the use of "longer distance", if that is the exact wording, seems a little broad stroke.

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Public-Consultation-on-2014-Bus-Public-Service-Contracts-V0-9-121025-Final-Updated.pdf

Goto Page 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There would be smoking, drinking, injecting, sex acts, not to mention offensive odours from legitimate toilet uses ...

Now add the additional turn around time at a depot because of cleaning and this is a **** up waiting to happen.

We've had toilets on the Galway / Dublin express buses for several years now, and I've not been aware of any acts like the ones you mention (not even when the FTP was accepted).

Neither does there seem to be any issue (pun intended!) with turn arounds.

We've had toilets on the Galway / Dublin express buses for several years now, and I've not been aware of any acts like the ones you mention (not even when the FTP was accepted).

Neither does there seem to be any issue (pun intended!) with turn arounds.

Maybe there's a better class of people on the galway/dublin buses, but I've witnessed all of the above on various other routes, including the ones where a toilet should be a prerequisite.

I just imagine it would be so much worse if those gob****es had a closed door to take advantage of.

I remember when the cross channel service had a toilet on board, and the disgusting mess left behind by the dirty f_ckers using it.

We've had toilets on the Galway / Dublin express buses for several years now...

lucky buggers .... - whats the trip time from Galway to Dublin please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

lucky buggers .... - whats the trip time from Galway to Dublin please?

About 2 and a half hours. Not long enough to need a toilet on a coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there should be no toilets on buses. There would be smoking, drinking, injecting, sex acts, not to mention offensive odours from legitimate toilet uses,
    By your logic trains, with their multiple toilets....

n97 mini wrote: »
    By your logic trains, with their multiple toilets....

I don't work on the trains, but 20 yrs driving buses is what shapes my opinion. Any train workers on here care to comment.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there should be no toilets on buses. There would be smoking, drinking, injecting, sex acts, not to mention offensive odours from legitimate toilet uses, and the fact that it's illegal to be out of your seat and not belted while the vehicle is in motion. So, we're going to have ensure toilets are only used while the bus is stopped? What if someone decides to use it while stopped at bus stop, the driver has to wait til it's vacant before pulling away? That's going to be interesting when the bus is double parked blocking whatever main street he has to stop at cause the authorities can't be arsed building proper bus stop bays.

Maybe you should read that again, it's a summary of submissions made to the NTA, not NTA policy. Could even be the OPs submission!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Whenever I've used the service the driver has always stopped for a toilet stop, either in Longford or sometimes Carrick on Shannon on the 11 o'clock service.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sonicstrav

I've got the 2300 service out from Dub to Sligo as far as Newtownforbes a couple of times. I've managed the 2.5 hour journey without needing a p*ss - but there's not even a scheduled break in Longford as the station is shut.

What are the arrangements for these late evening services if I did need a p*ss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sonicstrav wrote: »
    I've got the 2300 service out from Dub to Sligo as far as Newtownforbes a couple of times. I've managed the 2.5 hour journey without needing a p*ss - but there's not even a scheduled break in Longford as the station is shut.

What are the arrangements for these late evening services if I did need a p*ss?

Empty your bladder before you board the bus like most people are able to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Bus Eireann is Public sector workforce after all OP.
    Why not check out the private operator ( off the top of my head I don't know who they are).
    If the private operator bus hasn't got lavatory facilities you should blast some piss at them. Good lad.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I really think they should fit toilets to their newest fleet that they will be keeping for a long time.

Only their latest 20 will have which is nowhere near enough.

Suppose the other option as said would be see if private operator has one or use the train if possible instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

My lad who travels every now and again tells me that the Bus eireann route23 with a 4Hour journey from sligo to Dublin has no toilet on it! - just a 5 minute stop at Longford railway station - Absolute crazy! - I couldnt cross me legs all that time lol :eek:

He should get the train - it takes three hours and has a toilet on board.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement