Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does he even want to be with me?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ilikepickles

I dont want to be truthful if im honest because you wont like it... But I have to...

This guy is using you as an ego boost. Plain and simple. Thats why hes not let you go.

He likes you alright, but hes not into you enough to be with you, but cant bring himself to let you go because he loves and craves the crazy attention he gets from you.

I am so so sure thats whats happening here. 110%.

You probably wont realise til you look back after your infatuation with him passes, but that is whats happening.

and that's why he had a conversation with his best friend to try to make him understand what was happening with us to try to get him to approve so we could actually be together is it?? after the talk tho he still didnt approve, but he met up with me n said we could go out anyways, that doesnt sound like Im just an ego boost to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

age difference. Also his family/friends not approving.... He got over it though ....... if he didn't want to be with me, why put his relationship with his family and friends at risk ?????

Op you came on to ask for advice and have disagreed with every post as far as I can see.
    Hopefully you're right and he doesn't gave a wife or girlfriend.

BUT if someone wants to be with you they will make damn sure it happens. Actually most people would think spending time with someone they really like is a good way to relax and unwind....it wouldn't be an excuse to avoid them.

You sound young and inexperienced, probably fairly young if he had to think about dating you for 10 months. That's not how you deserve to be treated- I hope you take some of the comments on board.

Edit - I've just seen your post about his friend disapproving of the age difference. Please please please be careful and keep a distance. If he likes you that much he will understand.

I don't want to give you false-hope OP, it seems he may have some feelings for you but on the other hand he's been brushing you off with excuses..... My advice would be to stop all contact and let him peruse you... then, Ignore all his correspondences!

I NEVER text him first ... he texts me first when he's online every day .... so, if I let him pursue me ... he will ... I left myself logged in by accident once when I was out, he thought I was ignoring him and had more messages then usual when I came home... so that isnt going to do much good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Lalealynn

age difference. Also his family/friends not approving.... He got over it though ....... if he didn't want to be with me, why put his relationship with his family and friends at risk ?????

You are not underage are you?

Or is he much older? And you are youngish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

and that's why he had a conversation with his best friend to try to make him understand what was happening with us to try to get him to approve so we could actually be together is it?? after the talk tho he still didnt approve, but he met up with me n said we could go out anyways, that doesnt sound like Im just an ego boost to me?

Its all going to end in tears OP. Sorry but honesty is the best policy here. You can cut contact now and have the tears now or you can waste more months/years with this guy and have the tears then..

Hes not as into you as you think. You have become a habit for him that hes finding hard to let go. Not doubting that ye have a great connection, but its not love. If it was then he'd be making every effort to see you as often as possible.

Hes got you wrapped round his finger. Hes probably not even intentionally doing it, but hes treating you terribly.

This guy has got his own social problems IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I cant think why he'd avoid meeting you again so..... What sort of a job has he got that he cant make time to see you? .

I cant think why he'd avoid meeting you again so..... What sort of a job has he got that he cant make time to see you? .

he's in film school, so sometimes gets called to work on sets and act in short films or sometimes proper films, work on music videos, etc

he's in film school, so sometimes gets called to work on sets and act in short films or sometimes proper films, work on music videos, etc

He's in college? So early 20's? Yet the age difference is so large that his family and friends would disapprove?
    So you're underage.

... you can be in college at any age .. he didnt go to college straight from secondary school .... dont be so quick to judge and say Im underage ..

... you can be in college at any age .. he didnt go to college straight from secondary school .... dont be so quick to judge and say Im underage ..

What age are you?
    And what age is he?

• Advertisement

That's true. Though it's odd you haven't denied being underage. And won't say what age you are.

I know you think it doesn't matter but it does, if you're so young that people judge the relationship then it's not a good situation when he's not treating you very well either.

That's true. Though it's odd you haven't denied being underage. And won't say what age you are.

I know you think it doesn't matter but it does, if you're so young that people judge the relationship then it's not a good situation when he's not treating you very well either.

Also if she were only 18 and he were lets say 27 that is a huge emotional gap and the OP can be vulnerable.
    Ok from what I gather he is in college. They age gap is large enough for people to object.

He has been talking online to you for ages. But he keeps saying why he can't be with you. He meets you and then keeps saying how busy he is.

OP you are being played I think. He is setting you up.

OP just to say if you are underage he is playing with your head to get you to do what he wants.

I NEVER text him first ... he texts me first when he's online every day .... so, if I let him pursue me ... he will ... I left myself logged in by accident once when I was out, he thought I was ignoring him and had more messages then usual when I came home... so that isnt going to do much good

This is very disturbing. I don't like where this thread is going.

Lalealynn wrote: »
    This is very disturbing. I don't like where this thread is going.

and I dont like what you're implying. Anyway, I think I'll close this thread now and see what happens from here. thanks everyone for the comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You need to be careful. You don't seem to have the maturity or experience to appreciate that you could be swimming in dangerous waters. You're clearly infatuated but if you're underage and he is much older this isn't your usual harmless bit of online banter. You can't seem to see that however. Have you a trusted adult you can discuss this with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You came here asking if he wants to be with you.

So, that straight away tells us you were in doubt as to wwhether he wanted you or not.

Everyone says 'he's playing you,' and all of a sudden you KNOW he wants to be with you.

Did you actually come here for advice, or to hear people say you're wrong, and that he does want to be with you?

Either way, you sound extremely insecure about him.

And sorry, but an age gap isn't a good enough reason for him to refuse to see you for ten months, unless you're underage.

If a grown man can't tell his family to feck off, and date another adult because mammy and daddy will disapprove, it's pretty much telling you that their demands will always over ride your needs.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

When one thing doesnt add up, we might overlook it, but when there are several, then red flags appear.

The thing is, you cannot say for certain that he is not in a relationship. He might work away from Mon-Fri, or his partner might work nightshifts, therefore allowing him to chat with you for half the night online freely. Many couples even choose to sleep separately but still maintain a full intimate relationship. So, unless you have met his friends several times, have stayed in his house, maybe even met family, you cant say for certain that he is not in a relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

he's cancelled on me 4 times, 3 of the times he said it was work related and one he said he was just too tired to do anything after being busy with stuff in the days prior.

I haven't seen him in almost 4 weeks now and what's upsetting me most is that I'm here, dying to see him and it seems like he would rather do other things than see me, despite talking for the last 10 months about how crap it was that we couldn't be together. I'm just confused. Does he want to be with me, or not? :/

OP to go back to your original post..... a guy who you have invested 10 months of time with online, have met up once with, is leaving you in the position of confusion and insecurity and questioning your self worth. A guy who does that is really not worth a lot, because his behaviour is having an impact and effect on you, that could become an incredibly negative impact on you with consequences for your self esteem, your mental health and your emotional well being. You don't sound like you are being valued, despite the 10 months of communication online, if the personal problem was about an age difference and seeking approval from friends or trying to convince his best friend that it's ok, then why is he still hiding you, hiding your communication on the online platform rather than out in plain view for all the world to see?
    OP I am also someone who has had a few friendships and relationships online and I'd be worried for you, not just because my experiences were bad, but because you are unwilling it seems to take on board what posters here are saying. There are a lot of red flags, not just the situation and perhaps maybe the inappropriate online contact between what may be an adult and a minor, or where there is an age gap of someone in their 30s-40s and someone barely 20 but his behaviour towards you, and his change of behaviour towards you since you met, and how it is leaving you feel, leaving you confused and unsure of what is going on or where things are going, and the likelihood that this isn't actually Prince Charming at all but someone who is treating you badly and a lot less than what you deserve.
    Be very, very careful OP because I think that you are going to get very hurt and messed around a lot more than you are already. And I actually do think that even if you're not a minor, you still should take into confidence a friend or relative about this situation who can be there for you whatever happens next.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

and I dont like what you're implying. Anyway, I think I'll close this thread now and see what happens from here. thanks everyone for the comments

Mod Note:
    Closing at OP's Request

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement